PDA

View Full Version : Paint transfer on coworkers car

cornelius85
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Opened my truck door and swung open too far and rubbed against my coworkers car. There are 2 silver paint transfers that basically wiped off of his black lexus, but there is kind of light scuff marks where it happened. I owned up to it, and offered to get it fixed. I am assuming it wouldn't be too bad to buff out or something but I have no idea. Also with it being a black car and me having no experience I don't want to make it worse. Any suggestions. If I took it somewhere would it cost very much to have someone buff it out? I can take a quick picture if it helps.

Hopefully someone can lend some advise, or point me in the direction of a place that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg for being honest...

Thanks guys.

Weapon_R
07-27-2010, 02:23 PM
PM Inline6turbo with detailed pics, or bring the car in, and get a better idea of what it would cost to polish it out.

cornelius85
07-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Not very good pics as I am just getting reflection but hopefully this will show enough. It isn't dented at all. To me it looks like it has just rubbed into the clear coat, but im no body expert.

civicrider
07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
looks like an easy fix, light wet sand with a super fine grit (3000) and then three stage polish the door, Its hard to tell how deep it is in the clear, does it feel smooth or does it feel uneven?

cornelius85
07-29-2010, 04:26 PM
It is smooth. I was told to try lightly rubbing it with a Mr Clean magic eraser. While it helped a bit it is still there. It doesn't look like there is any polish on the car at all, so I am tempted to polish that panel for him and hopefully that would bring it out. Any thoughts?

civicrider
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
wet sand it first, or use a rubbing compound

SCHIDER23
08-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Don't wetsand it, you might just need a medium cutting compound on either a white or black pad, try that first before wetsanding, if that doesn't work move to a yellow or orange pad with the same compound, do a pass and see how it turns out, wetsanding is just for really deep scratches that you can actually feel, or when using a compound will take too long to correct, hope this helps.. :)

Kloubek
08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Try Mr. Clean magic eraser first. Might be a 1-minute fix.