PDA

View Full Version : Granite Advice

broken_legs
07-27-2010, 07:12 PM
The kitchen is simple. 2 x 36" counter tops on one side, with a giant L shape slab on the other.

The L shape slab will have a 13.5" overhang so you can sit at it. It's not bar height, just extended counter top. *we do not want to have bracket supports*

So I have 2 quotes on Granite, both within a couple hundred dollars:

Company 1:
In town for a long time. They use 20mm granite and build up the edges to look bigger. They press and glue wood and steel frames into their counter tops for strength. I will not need any supports on my overhang. Counter top will be a bit lighter and attached by screwing into the wood backing. The overhang will have stained wood on the underneath to look good.

$4481.

Company 2:
Nice guys, only in business for 3 years, a little bit cheaper. They provide 30mm granite, with no build up. The counter top will be a bit heavier (old house floor issues??) but can also add in steel supports for the section with the overhang. To attach the counter tops they only use silicone and rely on the weight of the granite. The overhang will be polished granite on both sides.

$4320

Both include cutting and mounting of comparable under mount sinks, and include warranty against staining and chipping etc... Both have the same colour / quality of granite.

Some people say get the thicker granite, while others say you dont see it and its heavy, get the lighter (stronger reinforced) granite. The L slab will weigh over 500 lbs... House was built in '68. 5/8" shiplap on top of nice 2x10s

Any advice here guys?

garnet
07-27-2010, 09:57 PM
even for a 13.5" overhang, would be easy to install a hidden ledger against the back wall, secured into the studs, i recommend that

the slab thickness doesn't matter so much, they are responsible to install and replace if breakage occurs during the install, certain slabs only come in .75"+edge or 1.25" single pce, whichever is fine

unless you can see issues with the floor from beneath, like extensive rot or cracking, it shouldn't be an issue

you can help them by ensuring the cabinets are still level, check them front-back, side-side, cross-ways, and internal bracing the top corners, or additional cleats is a good idea

ask in advance to make sure you are getting a single pce backsplash on the long side especially

broken_legs
07-27-2010, 11:12 PM
granite from garnet :rofl: oh its been a long day...

I guess I'm more worried about things like - Am I overpaying for the 20mm when I can get 30mm for the same price?

Which one will be the strongest? ie can I really lean into the overhang? Can I stand on the counter to change a light bulb? (just thinking out loud)

Finally, do people check to see what thickness it is when looking at a kitchen ? ie Resale value?

Just random stuff I thought about.

Thanks a lot for the tips! :)

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't have answers to your questions but have you tried Victory granite? We've used them twice now and they are fantastic. I have to look very closely to find the seams they did as well. Their prices are significantly less than much of the competition.

broken_legs
07-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Should add - this is in Kamloops.

sxtasy
07-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Weight will not be an issue. Assuming that the workmanship will be of equal quality I would go with the thinker granite. Typically when they treat the edge that is visible it is laminated and bullnosed so I would assume that the thicker granite will have a thicker bullnosing which IMO will look better.

garnet
07-29-2010, 12:36 AM
it's not that they choose one thickness of slab over another, depending on the particular granite you've chosen, it may only be available to your granite shop as either .75" or 1.25" thick slab

in all my dealings, typically a 1.25" slab will just get a contoured of existing edge, a .75" will be a doubled edge = 1.5"
spec an edge thicker then that will come at a premium

i'd make sure to use a ledger on the wall side, it will be hidden from sight, and maybe don't stand on it to use for light bulb changes :rofl:

Originally posted by broken_legs
granite from garnet :rofl: oh its been a long day...

I guess I'm more worried about things like - Am I overpaying for the 20mm when I can get 30mm for the same price?

Which one will be the strongest? ie can I really lean into the overhang? Can I stand on the counter to change a light bulb? (just thinking out loud)

Finally, do people check to see what thickness it is when looking at a kitchen ? ie Resale value?

Just random stuff I thought about.

Thanks a lot for the tips! :)