PDA

View Full Version : Scammed by Crowfoot Hyundai

eatrice
07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
The dealer decided to refund my deposit, as long as my post is deleted. I would like to thank beyond.ca, the beyonders that called to help me out, and David!

dirtsniffer
07-27-2010, 08:45 PM
i would contact amvic soon, they will help put the presure on.
as far as i know deposits are put in place so you can secure the car you want. They're not there so dealers can secure deals that are in bad faith

Redlyne_mr2
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Just wondering but why were you under the impression you had to take the silver one?

eatrice
07-27-2010, 08:55 PM

black13
07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
That sucks to hear. Me and my friend were gonna go there to test drive a Genesis for him but I guess we'll avoid that place.

JordanAndrew
07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Do you have the contract with you stating what you were suppose to get? Specifically all the information that is about the car like year, vin #, color, what extras you get, price, financing, and all that? Did they sign all of it? You should contact the media and expose this all over the news.

I think the same thing happened to a member here and got scammed by South Deerfoot Suzuki of his $500 deposit.

GTi-RS
07-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Why do people still give deposits???

eatrice
07-27-2010, 09:12 PM

autosm
07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
You will get it back you will just have to fight them.

schocker
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by black13
That sucks to hear. Me and my friend were gonna go there to test drive a Genesis for him but I guess we'll avoid that place.
I tried to do that last fall, I got cussed out by the salesmen, so keeping a deposit there sounds right up their alley.

Redlyne_mr2
07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by GTi-RS
Why do people still give deposits???
to secure large ticket items that they wish to purchase :)

Op, why not just ask for a different car?

Your sales persons sounds so useless, sorry to hear.

adaradar
07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
well that sucks lol.

what i dont understand is how it could change, when i got my car about a month ago they gave me a sheet with all the information about the vehicle i was putting the deposit on.

and for the color, you can pick it. if they dont have it on there lot they simply take it from another one. its that simple if they want the sale they will get the car you want. but you cant get pushed around on these kind of things. the color should of been in the contract with the documents provided on your deposit.

check them and make shure they dident change anything without your permission. ie the color or anything else that the vehicle should of had. if they did you could possible sue.

but these sales people are devious fucks who are just there for your money.

and the cash incentive lol. if you are financing how could there be a cash incentive. cash incentive is for people who pay fully in cash.

if i were you i would still get the car from there. but in the color you want. ask them what lot there pullin it from as that would increase the km's on the vehicle if its from a different lot. never should they tell you what color you are getting.

but this all seems like you just made a stupid mistake along the line somewhere. the deposit before you know what your getting would be the first. but check your shit see were they made the error and talk to your lawyer and see if you got a case on your hands.

good luck

eatrice
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Scuderia
07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Holy fuck, is there a single dealership in Calgary that hasn't supposedly scammed/owned/fucked a beyond member? The general talk section should be changed to the "Dealership Ownage of the Week" section.

Phenix
07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Well I'll look into this tomorrow. I might have a person to call and help you out

rizfarmer
07-27-2010, 11:30 PM
that's fucked right up but you shouldn't have left without gettting your deposit back.

I just bought a hyundai from Precision and the salesman was probably the most unintformed car salesman in Calgary; in fact, I wanted to insert a revolver into my mouth and pull the trigger every time I dealt with him. Knew far less about the car than the customer did, knew nothing about the financing options availalbe, and every time I asked him a question he had to go ask his manager the answer. After the sale he passed me on to any person he could instead of dealing with my concerns himself. However, the rest of my experience at the dealership was acceptable. I was able to sit down with the sales manager and hammer out a deal for the car in a very short period of time since we were both on the same page - good experience with him overall.

I know how slimey *some* dealerships can be since I just bought a new car so I hope things work out for you and Phenix can help you out.

not to rub it in but here's you car...:D
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/310068/2010-genesis-coupe/

...last 2010 in this colour in Western Canada, potentially all of Cananda

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
07-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Sounds like you aren't 100% sure of what you signed. Next time bring a tape recorder in, record conversations, and get copies of what you sign. You may even want to read it before you sign it too. :thumbsup:
If you don't have a copy of what you signed, then you're pretty much at their mercy.

JordanAndrew
07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
How did you pay this deposit? I hope you didn't pay in cash. If you paid by credit, just ask your cc company to reverse it. I hope you got a receipt for your deposit as well.

Whenever you buy a new car, there's always a contract that has all the neccesary info about the car and that's what you sign. It's essentially a bill of sale where the price is listed, year, names, dates, etc. If you say you didn't sign any of that, then they shouldn't have any grounds to keep your deposit to begin with. If you only signed a credit check and you've got a receipt for the deposit, then you're golden to get your money back.

You might have a hard time getting your money back if all you did was pay the deposit, have no receipt and just waited for your car. have you tried calling the police to help you out in this?

Type_S1
07-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Slimey Slimey thats why I go to dealerships while friends are looking for cars and rip the shit out of anything they will allow me to drive

STI
07-28-2010, 12:43 AM

eatrice
07-28-2010, 12:53 AM

JordanAndrew
07-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by eatrice

380km is not much, but that is why I don't want a demo.

I am sure I did not sign the bill of sale, I did pay with visa, and I do have the receipt. But they still won't give me the money, so what can I do? He even went as far as trying to BS me that Hyundai Canada is holding my deposit and not them. Seriously wtf?

Thanks, do you need my number?

Call your Credit card company and put a reverse on your payment. Tell them you didn't get anything from that dealership and that all they are doing is "holding" your money.

If that doesn't work, try calling the police and ask if they can help you out.

Hopefully this all gets resolved for you.

MGCM
07-28-2010, 01:50 AM
a friend of mine had the same thing happen to him with a Dodge Truck he put a deposit on, he backed out of the deal and they told him they were keeping his deposit.........in the end my friend managed to get the dealership to give him "dealership credit" which I somehow doubt is worth anything but if he ever goes back there we will find out.

Lex350
07-28-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm curious as to the age of the OP. I know dealerships ask for deposits from younger people but as you get onlder they don't usually pull that shit.

sh0ko
07-28-2010, 08:04 AM
i'm not gonna lie that email wasnt the easiest thing to read but Hopefully this situation you're in will be resolved.

Good luck and keep us posted

911fever
07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
your salesguy sounds like a fool. Go to another dealer.

T78Supra1
07-28-2010, 08:35 AM
This happens a lot,

but if you did not take possession of the car you can get your deposit back.

AMVIC rules :

A dealership cannot hold on to a deposit if you have not taken possession of a car. By AMVIC rules they can loose there
license if they do not refund your money.

In terms of contracts, its against the rules for them to have you sign your rights away. This is the main reason a license dealer cannot sell a car as- is.

My suggestion call AMVIC ASAP.

01RedDX
07-28-2010, 08:40 AM

roopi
07-28-2010, 08:46 AM
As stated the best thing to do is just call your credit card company and tell them that they charged your credit card and didn't deliver the product you ordered. The CC company will refund you the money and deal with the dealership on its own. The only way the dealership will be able to keep the money is by providing proof that you signed a contract and the item was delivered which they won't be able to do.

Kloubek
07-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Roopi is correct. And working in retail, I can verify what he is saying.

When you reverse charges on your card, they go to the retailer. The retailer is then expected to show proof (generally in the form of a signature) that you agreed to lose your deposit in the event you walked away from the contract. If you signed nothing, then you are 100% guaranteed to get your funds back.

And if AMVIC does indeed have a rule that a dealership cannot keep your deposit, that would be the first thing I would try. Probably a lot less paperwork and red tape going that route.

roopi
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Roopi is correct. And working in retail, I can verify what he is saying.

When you reverse charges on your card, they go to the retailer. The retailer is then expected to show proof (generally in the form of a signature) that you agreed to lose your deposit in the event you walked away from the contract. If you signed nothing, then you are 100% guaranteed to get your funds back.

And if AMVIC does indeed have a rule that a dealership cannot keep your deposit, that would be the first thing I would try. Probably a lot less paperwork and red tape going that route.

Dealing with the CC company is actually very easy. Once you call them and let them know the situation they will mail/fax you 1 piece of paper to sign stating that you would like to go through with the chargeback. After that nothing else left to do. They take care of everything.

G
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Well it seems like you like giving in. First the 0% interest rate and cash back deal then the color. That is why they treat you like a pushover.

You should have walked away after they retracted the 0% + cash back.

The problem with young people buying cars is that they are impatient. Take your time since it is a large purchase, there will always be another car out there.

canadian_hustla
07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
OP: chargeback the transaction to your CC company

It is possible to get deposits back from the dealer. 1 year ago i was shopping for Jeep Patriots at renfrew jeep dodge and rather than buying used I decided to purchase brand new and take advantage of some dealer incentives. The dealer was offering $1000 off the purchase price as well as a trip for 2 to las vegas. I settled on my first choice which was 2009 black patriot for which they had to order with an ETA of 3 weeks. I also put down $1500 deposit. At week 3 i got a call from the salesman saying that another dealer bought my truck (wtf?) and that sometimes dealerships get into disputes with one another. It just so happened that they were clearing out the 2009's and there were none left. I was told that they were going to rush another black patriot, however in this case it would be north addition and would be a 2010 model for the price of the 2009. It would take another 3 weeks. Moreover, they told me that i would get another trip trip to las vegas.

3 weeks later I get a call saying that the truck hadn't come in yet. I marched into the dealership and told them that i was fed up with waiting. They told me that i was getting a deal way below MSRP which they would probably lose money on and were happy to refund my deposit. I walked over to toyota and bought a corolla.

spikerS
07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
OP: chargeback the transaction to your CC company

It is possible to get deposits back from the dealer. 1 year ago i was shopping for Jeep Patriots at GSL chev city and rather than buying used I decided to purchase brand new and take advantage of some dealer incentives. The dealer was offering $1000 off the purchase price as well as a trip for 2 to las vegas. I settled on my first choice which was 2009 black patriot for which they had to order with an ETA of 3 weeks. I also put down $1500 deposit. At week 3 i got a call from the salesman saying that another dealer bought my truck (wtf?) and that sometimes dealerships get into disputes with one another. It just so happened that they were clearing out the 2009's and there were none left. I was told that they were going to rush another black patriot, however in this case it would be north addition and would be a 2010 model for the price of the 2009. It would take another 3 weeks. Moreover, they told me that i would get another trip trip to las vegas.

3 weeks later I get a call saying that the truck hadn't come in yet. I marched into the dealership and told them that i was fed up with waiting. They told me that i was getting a deal way below MSRP which they would probably lose money on and were happy to refund my deposit. I walked over to toyota and bought a corolla.

umm, GSL chev city sells brand new Jeep products?

PulsePro
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey OP, can you PM me your name and #? I might be able to work something out with the general manager. I called crowfoot hyundai and I left him a voicemail that if he doesn't refund your deposit, I will not be referring more friends over to them. That should fuck them in the ass :thumbsup:

dezmarez
07-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
This happens a lot,

but if you did not take possession of the car you can get your deposit back.

AMVIC rules :

A dealership cannot hold on to a deposit if you have not taken possession of a car. By AMVIC rules they can loose there
license if they do not refund your money.

In terms of contracts, its against the rules for them to have you sign your rights away. This is the main reason a license dealer cannot sell a car as- is.

My suggestion call AMVIC ASAP.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
Not what you want to hear but legally, they don't have to give your deposit back. You're backing out of the deal because you are anal about 380 kms?
Most people put that on in about a week. It doesn't affect your warranty.

lol so which one is it?

sorry to hear that man, had the same thing happen to me at deerfoot suzuki, had to fight to get that deposit back, but had some help from beyond, hopefully someone on here has connections there..

good luck

canadian_hustla
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by spikers

umm, GSL chev city sells brand new Jeep products?

sorry i meant renfrew.. same location.. sort of.

mikey_p
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
380kms is not always a demo vehicle.. at GM a demo vehicle is anything over 1600km.. Are you sure it just wasn't on the lot (lot rot) for 6 months and tested by interested buyers.. I know at our dealership sometimes with managers approval we allow customers to take a vehicle for the weekend... Unfortunatly sometimes the km's just add up.. Mostly anything under 500kms would not be a demo..

20km to and from work a day + 100km a week running around = 240km in just a week.. Thats a short demo for a manager or business owner...

spikerS
07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
to me, anything over 50kms is used. someone used it for something. I don't order a steak, see that a bite has been taken out of it, and think that no one has eaten it before me.

Zero102
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
It wasn't a demo vehicle, those must be specifically listed as demo's, but it was definitely out for a lot of test drives.

Many dealerships don't have one of every single model and style of car available as a demo, and so many times when you take one out for a drive it is a stock/lot car you are driving. That said, 380km is a lot of test drives and I don't blame you for walking away, IMO you did the right thing.

I bought a 2010 Elantra Touring from Precision Hyundai in March of this year. I visited every single Hyundai dealership in the city and did the same thing, told them the exact car I was looking for, exactly what I had to trade in and exactly what I was willing to pay. Every single dealership in town either nicely showed me the door or loudly laughed me right out of the showroom except one, Precision. I dealt with Diana (or is it Diane?... her business card is at home and I am terrible with names), she told me it was an extremely tough deal to make, and that I was asking a lot but that she wants the same thing as me, to sell me a car, and she will do her best to make it happen.

After almost 2 weeks of visiting her and working out new ways to bring down the cost of the car (the dealership lowering the price, calling even more sources to get a better value on my trade-in, scrounging up coupons from the auto show) she was able to match the numbers I asked for. When we finally agreed we had it down to 2 choices of colours, and conveniently enough those were the only 2 colours they had in stock. She let us go over to the holding lot and stood with us in the mud while we looked them over every which way to make absolutely sure we liked the colour we picked. She was then able to bump the delivery up by 2 days because my wife was very scared that something may happen to our trade-in and make this deal fall through. FWIW, my car had 40.0km on it when it was delivered (the trip computer gave us the 10ths because it was never zeroed since the car was new).

For buying a Hyundai I would recommend her 100%.

I know your experience at Crowfoot was terrible, but if you feel like looking at another one I would definitely give her a call.

Rat Fink
07-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2010, 12:01 AM
The additional mileage could also be to and from an event or location if the car was ever used as a display piece.

bignerd
07-29-2010, 06:41 AM
When I bought my Element, the Honda dealership had one in the color I wanted on the lot, however it had 780 km's on it. It was not a demo, however, while test driving it, and after being assured they do not let people take the cars out by themselves (however I got to test drive it by myself?) I found some loaner papers in the glove box where the dealership had loaned it out to someone whose Honda was in their shop being repaired for a week!

They were willing to discount the price by 7 cents a km however that was a rough hard 780 km's on that truck, scratches in the paint etc... Paid more and got them to bring in a new one for me with 9 km's on the odom.