PDA

View Full Version : SCAMMERS - Home Suite Home Moving & Storage Ltd

syscal
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
So, we were recommended to a mover from a friend. They were inexpensive and didn't need all the extra costs of the other movers. They moved us quickly and were pretty nice.

I go out to bring the guys water while my wife pays the bill. This is where the problem starts.

They counted their time on the invoice from 7:30 to 12:30 as 6 hours. My wife corrects them but they insist on counting the first hour from 7:30.

She figures, "whatever, these guys don't speak a lick of english so we'll deal with this through the manager"...

So we call their office and they say they'll take care of it.

The next day there is an odd entry in our bank account. The check had become "registered" at the bank and the money was removed immediately. Called the bank and apparently anyone can do this for a small fee.

I look at the amount and though...wtf, this doesn't make sense.

Check the invoice and have a look at this math...

7:30 to 12:30 - 6 hours ?
6 x $120/hr = 720
5%GST = $42 ?
add together for a grand total of $882.00???

Call the lady back and let her know, we also found some damaged furniture facing the wall. Ikea stuff, but it adds up.

She sets an appointment to meet us and cancels at the last minute.

So tonight we have another appointment. We wait at home for 3 hours and it's a no show.

Too late, of course, we check the BBB and find this:

BBB Report (http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/movers/home-suite-home-moving-and-storage-ltd-in-calgary-ab-61549)

So, lesson learned. Check the BBB first. Just because the contractor has a calculator doesn't mean he can use it. Deal with disputes on the spot, don't try to after the fact.

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. It's about $252 they owe us in cash and another $300 in furniture damage...it's enough to put the wife on a mission to become their own personal hell so hopefully they just fix things.

Graham_A_M
07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Additional Addresses
107 Falbury Crescent NE
Calgary, AB T3J 1H8
Canada

Makes sense.

syscal
07-27-2010, 10:59 PM
lol, I said that to my wife too...though her father lives in the area too

so on a second look it appears they put an unexpected $120 fuel charge on the bill. I know the price of fuel so I won't argue that. so it explains how the numbers were off.

So they really owe us $120+GST and the furniture damage $.

hopefully they answer the phone when I call tomorrow.

canadian_hustla
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by syscal

The next day there is an odd entry in our bank account. The check had become "registered" at the bank and the money was removed immediately. Called the bank and apparently anyone can do this for a small fee.

registering or certifying a cheque usually means they have either poor credit or a poor relationship with the bank and their deposits are on hold. either way, it doesn't sound like a company that i would ever want to deal with

syscal
08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
So, we called them a billion times. No answer.

Called the BBB and told them the story. Left a few reviews on google and superpages.

Now their number is disconnected so I'm guessing they'll re-open again under a different name registered to a different employee.

Could have been worse I guess, all in all we still paid less than we would have with the companies we've used previously.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Didn't you look at the invoice before you wrote and signed your check?

Also, did you try calling your bank? They might be able to compensate you for the extra charges, I think they have insurance for this kinda stuff. :dunno:

prodigydud
08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Does your bill include travel time? I had used a mover before and they required 3 hrs minimum charge, of which included 1 hour for travel. In the end, we really only got two hours of moving time.

:dunno:

06civic
08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by idioteque
Didn't you look at the invoice before you wrote and signed your check?

Also, did you try calling your bank? They might be able to compensate you for the extra charges, I think they have insurance for this kinda stuff. :dunno:

Actually the bank can't do anything for you. At the end of the day. You wrote them a cheque for $882 which you signed therefore its valid. Them overcharging you is a separate issue which doesnt concern the bank. You might have to go to small claims.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by syscal
So, we called them a billion times. No answer.

Called the BBB and told them the story. Left a few reviews on google and superpages.

Now their number is disconnected so I'm guessing they'll re-open again under a different name registered to a different employee.

Could have been worse I guess, all in all we still paid less than we would have with the companies we've used previously.

why don't you drive to the address on BBB and talk to them in person?

syscal
08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
No travel time on the bill. Just a fuel charge.

I could drive to their office, sure, but I'm not big on that kind of drama.

I'd lose more money pulling away from work for a couple hours than I've lost already anyway, so couple that with the money I'm sure we wouldn't get back and all I end up with is going there on principle. I'm not that hung up on the whole thing so that doesn't even bother me really.