PDA

View Full Version : Question about Creatine.

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Is creatine bad for you?
Do you lose the amount of muscle u gain after you stop taking it?
And do you guys recom cell-tech creatine?

Thanks!

JordanAndrew
07-28-2010, 12:06 AM
You pretty much loose all your gains once you stop using creatine. All it is is water in your muscles.

lellowrx7
07-28-2010, 12:19 AM
No its not bad for you, just stay hydrated.
Creatine helps your muscles absorb water giving you the boost and making you gain weight.
Try not to consume caffeine with it, its supposed to reduce the effectiveness.
Take it with grape juice, it releases insulin which helps absorb the creatine for max performance.
Try and mix with protein too for max effectiveness.

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by lellowrx7
No its not bad for you, just stay hydrated. Creatine helps your muscles absorb water giving you the boost and making you gain weight. Try not to consume caffeine with it, its supposed to reduce the effectiveness. Take it with grape juice, it releases insulin which helps absorb the creatine for max performance. Try and mix with protein too for max effectiveness.

But the creatine im getting is already flavoured or does it matter if u take it with grape juice or like powerrade? Are you suppose to go for a cycle? or do u continue? thanks!

lellowrx7
07-28-2010, 12:33 AM
It doesn't really matter i mean you could throw it in a protein shake or something, even plain water.
Its just grape is proven to release insulin into the body which would help to absorb the powder.
As for cycling, i don't really have a solid answer.
Some people say you should, some people say you shouldn't.
If you are gonna cycle do it properly, so Week 1 you load hard 20g a day, Week 2 - 4 10g a day, Week 5 - 8 no creatine.

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 12:37 AM
It doesn't really matter i mean you could throw it in a protein shake or something, even plain water.
Its just grape is proven to release insulin into the body which would help to absorb the powder.
As for cycling, i don't really have a solid answer.
Some people say you should, some people say you shouldn't.
If you are gonna cycle do it properly, so Week 1 you load hard 20g a day, Week 2 - 4 10g a day, Week 5 - 8 no creatine.

Ahh thanks for the help !!
What if you cant work out during that day? do you still take it?

lellowrx7
07-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah you wanna keep a constant flow of it.
Even if you cant make it to the gym make sure you take the creatine.
Especially during the loading phase! haha

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah you wanna keep a constant flow of it.
Even if you cant make it to the gym make sure you take the creatine.
Especially during the loading phase! haha

haha thanks for the info!!

wintonyk
07-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Straight from my Fitness and Sport Textbook:

4 equal doses of 5-7 g per day has been shown to significantly affect muscle creatine levels within 2 days. (short term or loading)

It has been shown that creatine combined with a simple carbohydrate (glucose) will increase creatine transport into the muscles via an insulin mediated effect.

Excessive amounts of creatine are not stored in the body but excreted unchanged as urine.

Benefits:
- Improvement in total and maximal force in repetitive isometric muscle contractions
- improvement in muscular strength and endurance in isotonic strength tests including 1rm tests
- improvement in muscular force/torque and endurance in isokinetic strength training
- improvement in cycle ergometer performance in maximal test ranging from 6-30 seconds

Coles notes:
- its safe
- simple sugar helps you absorb ie the grape juice already mentioned (grape juice without sugar added will be better than powerade imho opinion because it has more glucose (greater insulin spike) than fructose )

In my experience. Your loading phase you see gains quicker, but after 2 weeks it works out to be the same as just doing 5g /day vs 20/day for one week then decreasing.

I gained 15 lbs while on creatine and lost 10 when stoppped. I cycled twice. One was hard first week than 4 more then 3 rest. The second time i just did 5/day for 5 weeks and saw the same result.

May have to get on this again so i can hit 200

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk

4 equal doses of 5-7 g per day has been shown to significantly affect muscle creatine levels within 2 days. (short term or loading)

It has been shown that creatine combined with a simple carbohydrate (glucose) will increase creatine transport into the muscles via an insulin mediated effect.

Excessive amounts of creatine are not stored in the body but excreted unchanged as urine.

Benefits:
- Improvement in total and maximal force in repetitive isometric muscle contractions
- improvement in muscular strength and endurance in isotonic strength tests including 1rm tests
- improvement in muscular force/torque and endurance in isokinetic strength training
- improvement in cycle ergometer performance in maximal test ranging from 6-30 seconds

Coles notes:
- its safe
- simple sugar helps you absorb ie the grape juice already mentioned (grape juice without sugar added will be better than powerade imho opinion because it has more glucose (greater insulin spike) than fructose )

In my experience. Your loading phase you see gains quicker, but after 2 weeks it works out to be the same as just doing 5g /day vs 20/day for one week then decreasing.

I gained 15 lbs while on creatine and lost 10 when stoppped. I cycled twice. One was hard first week than 4 more then 3 rest. The second time i just did 5/day for 5 weeks and saw the same result.

May have to get on this again so i can hit 200

Thanks for the information!
But do you still suggest that i should continue taking creatine ever day in my loading phase even if i cant make it to the gym?

wintonyk
07-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Ya def. Your body requires about 2 g per day. And the typical diet consumes less than one. And almost zero for vegetarians. You need to replace your creatine every day otherwise you will lose the benefit of taking it.

Workout 4-5 days per week and take the creatine 7

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Ya def. Your body requires about 2 g per day. And the typical diet consumes less than one. And almost zero for vegetarians. You need to replace your creatine every day otherwise you will lose the benefit of taking it.

Workout 4-5 days per week and take the creatine 7

Alrighty, cuz today i only took 10G and i didnt work out..

wintonyk
07-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I would hop back on for the 20g per day for the loading phase. Then bring it back down to 5-7.

The 2g I mentioned is just for normal without intense training. Consuming approx 1 and making the remainder endogenously.

SoSimpo
07-28-2010, 01:15 AM
I would hop back on for the 20g per day for the loading phase. Then bring it back down to 5-7.

The 2g I mentioned is just for normal without intense training. Consuming approx 1 and making the remainder endogenously.

Alright, nice =]
Thnaks for the help

Ronjacinto83
07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
I made so much gains using creatine and my performance got so much better in basketball, judo and bjj! But that jus maybe all in my head! Take it, you will like it!!!!

Canucks3322
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
This is the only legit, legal nutritional supplement I've ever taken that actually works for building muscle...even the protein powders you buy are packed with fillers...I worked in a Nutrition House store for a year on weekends so I know what I'm talking about.

It works by giving your muscles more "energy" essentially...and it makes your muscles look "bigger" by filling them up with water.

DO NOT use anything other than 100% pure creatine monohydrate, there was actually a video posted here on beyond a couple years ago about the industry and how all the new creatine products mixed with all this other stuff is pure marketing crap and how creatine has become so easy to manufacture that the companies had find new ways to package it and sell it for more...that's why you'll see all these "next generation" creatine products, don't buy that crap, all you need 100% pure creatine, you can get a bottle at Superstore for like 15 bucks and it'll work just as good as that big fancy, sparkly 80 dollar tub at Popeyes.

gqmw
07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I quickly scanned it, don't know if it was mentioned but you can take creatine mono with apple juice as well as grape juice. Putting it just in water isn't as effective for releasing all of its nutrients.

And as posted above, cell-tech and what not are a waste of money, cause just simple creatine monohydrate will do the exact same job, and each bottle will last you way longer.

One other thing is be sure to cycle it.

duaner
08-07-2010, 10:54 AM
First time I ever used creatine was several years ago--plain creatine monohydrate. I never did a loading phase since a guy that I knew (was about 6' 2", 240) said that I would only excrete the extra.

So I did regular does from day 1 and after about 6-8 weeks (hard to remember) I went from 185lbs to 211. And I do not have the genes to put on mass easily. After I quit taking creatine, I lost 11 lbs and have never been below 200lbs since.

Last year I decided to try creatine again and when I went to get some, the guy asks if I wanted monohydrate or the new creatine which has all the extra stuff that is supposed to help. I decided on the newer stuff since it must be better but it really did nothing for me and had so much extra crap (upon closer reading of the label), that I decided it wasn't worth any risk from this largely unregulated industry.

So I gave that a break for quite a while and recently got back onto some regular 100% Monohydrate. And, btw, I did a bit of research and apparently taking it with Protein is just as good or better than with sugar (grape juice, etc.).

wintonyk
08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by duaner

So I gave that a break for quite a while and recently got back onto some regular 100% Monohydrate. And, btw, I did a bit of research and apparently taking it with Protein is just as good or better than with sugar (grape juice, etc.).

This:

Creatine with glucose will increase absorption by about 60%. Protein won't have nearly that significant of an impact alone. But in combination will yield even further increase in plasma creatine. Protein will never have as significant on an impact on insulin as glucose. Link (http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/creatine_newsletter_15.html)

max_boost
08-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I've actually contemplated this. How are your strength gains after you get off of it?

I haven't stalled on my lifts yet but if I do, will be looking for that boost.

SoSimpo
08-08-2010, 02:40 PM
i did the loading phrase and i already gain 7pounds lol.
*Edit* currently using cell tech creatine.

Hakkola
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I've been taking creatine for the past few weeks, I'm not sure about weight gains, but strength gains have been massive.

I've added about 40 pounds to my bench press in the last 3 weeks, which is obviously ridiculous, and I'm doing curls with an 80 pound bar for the first time ever, I'm basically destroying all my personal bests from years ago, and I wasn't close to a few of them a month ago, took creatine and BAM!

SoSimpo
08-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I've been taking creatine for the past few weeks, I'm not sure about weight gains, but strength gains have been massive.

I've added about 40 pounds to my bench press in the last 3 weeks, which is obviously rediculous, and I'm doing curls with an 80 pound bar for the first time ever, I'm basically destroying all my personal bests from years ago, and I wasn't close to a few of them a month ago, took creatine and BAM!

what brand do you use?

Hakkola
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by SoSimpo

what brand do you use?

Not sure, cost me $30 at shoppers, impulse buy. :D I'll check next time I go upstairs.

SoSimpo
08-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Not sure, cost me $30 at shoppers, impulse buy. :D I'll check next time I go upstairs.

haha okay, im planning on changing it into something else.
i think it was 100 dollars for 5lb

Hakkola
08-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I think the brand is Six Star Muscle. I think.

Yes.

http://www.sixstarmuscle.com/products/index.shtml

max_boost
08-09-2010, 01:08 AM

I've added about 40 pounds to my bench press in the last 3 weeks, which is obviously ridiculous, and I'm doing curls with an 80 pound bar for the first time ever, I'm basically destroying all my personal bests from years ago, and I wasn't close to a few of them a month ago, took creatine and BAM!

Dude that is tres ridiculars man.

:eek: :nut:

Hakkola
08-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Dude that is tres ridiculars man.

:eek: :nut:

Yeah man, my chest flys went from 130 to 170 too, everything jumped, it's like roids :rofl:

Curls from a 65 pound bar to 80, shrugs from about 70 to 90, bench press actually went from 35 pound plates on each side to 45 and 25 on each side, so what's that, like 110 to 180? If this keeps up I'll try for two plates soon if I have a spotter. Ask me if I thought I could do this a month ago and I'd have thought it crazy.

Actually, it is crazy. These gains sound pretty impossible.
It may have something to do with the work I was doing before and then getting a desk job as well. but either way the creatine has been a definite boost.

A790
08-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah man, my chest flys went from 130 to 170 too, everything jumped, it's like roids :rofl:

Curls from a 65 pound bar to 80, shrugs from about 70 to 90, bench press actually went from 35 pound plates on each side to 45 and 25 on each side, so what's that, like 110 to 180? If this keeps up I'll try for two plates soon if I have a spotter. Ask me if I thought I could do this a month ago and I'd have thought it crazy.

Actually, it is crazy. These gains sound pretty impossible.
It may have something to do with the work I was doing before and then getting a desk job as well. but either way the creatine has been a definite boost.
Creatine was the same for me, but not nearly as obvious. Once I went off it I managed to salvage most of the strength.

Got my bench to 235 on creatine, up from 180. Curls from 75 to 105, squat to 315 from 255, etc.

The problem I found with creatine is that I've never felt it was sustainable. But, it's damn good for a while :)

Oz-
08-09-2010, 10:28 AM
This sounds more like muscle memory then the effects of creatine in 3 weeks. Did you just start lifting again or change your program recently?

max_boost
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
That just seems insane lol

I thought Creatine helps you maybe push more reps, there fore increasing strength. Those gains are pretty nuts. Now maybe you guys weren't pushing hard enough before? haha

Now I'm tempted to give it a go haha

SoSimpo
08-09-2010, 03:21 PM

I thought Creatine helps you maybe push more reps, there fore increasing strength. Those gains are pretty nuts. Now maybe you guys weren't pushing hard enough before? haha

It goes help you push more reps. but i also think it just make you think that way mentally lol.

Canucks3322
08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by A790

Creatine was the same for me, but not nearly as obvious. Once I went off it I managed to salvage most of the strength.

Got my bench to 235 on creatine, up from 180. Curls from 75 to 105, squat to 315 from 255, etc.

The problem I found with creatine is that I've never felt it was sustainable. But, it's damn good for a while :)

I used Creatine for the first time when I was 24...I had been doing bench press since I was 18, I can remember going from repping 205 2-3 times and not even able to get 225 off the rack to doing 225 repping for 2-3 times ON creatine....it's different for everyone though, I probably didn't have much creatine in me naturally so the strength exploded....

Hakkola
08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Oz-
This sounds more like muscle memory then the effects of creatine in 3 weeks. Did you just start lifting again or change your program recently?

Haven't been lifting this past year like I used to, but I'd say for the past 3 months I've been into it pretty hard. Made good gains but the creatine has definitely been a factor, last time I was near as strong was in 2007 after the army, I also used creatine back then too though. :D

Might not have been pushing as hard before, but I think that's what creatine makes me do, push harder. It actually gives me some more confidence in what I'm doing.

chkolny541
08-10-2010, 01:27 AM
ive noticed some gains myself, though you really need to stick with it or else all gains are out the window in a flash, gain 7 lbs in a few weeks, (from 198-205) then stopped for 2 weeks and i fucking sank right back down to where i was before (198.5 this morning) :( Also lost some slight strength gains as well so im just reloading and getting back to it now

speeed
11-09-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm looking into taking a creatine supplement as a boost since I noticed I have pretty much hit a plateau. I have a friend that is taking Cell-Tech and I was looking more into the pros and cons and came across this

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116098381

For those that are too lazy to click the link, the guys are saying it's a very powerful substance, something that's addictive much like a drug. It does major harm to your livers and kidneys and all sorts of long term health problems. Also, if you stop taking it you need to go on some kind of crt (crearide replacement therapy) or post-cycle therapy or it's suicidal..

Just curious what you guys think about this because i'm reading a lot of mixed reviews.

Cooked Rice
11-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Maybe try some basic creatine monohydrate first and see how you like it. Are you using any pre-workout supplementation?

dandia89
11-09-2010, 08:00 AM
There shouldn't be any reason for anyone to take cell tech. Why waste way more money when monohydrate is more effective and so much cheaper.

BigShow
11-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by dandia89
There shouldn't be any reason for anyone to take cell tech. Why waste way more money when monohydrate is more effective and so much cheaper.

If I wanted to gain 10lbs in a week I would take Cell-Tech.

403Gemini
11-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I heard a few years back (this may just be an urban myth, you guys can probably correct me) , but after you stop taking Creatine your muscles stay stretched out and stay soft/flabby ... I don't actually believe this, but is this a potential side effect?

speeed
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Maybe try some basic creatine monohydrate first and see how you like it. Are you using any pre-workout supplementation?

No, I'm just taking protein as of now usually right after working out and if i remember on days i don't go to the gym.

Originally posted by dandia89

I actually bought a container of cell tech already before doing much homework on other creatine products since my friend is on it, and after reading reviews I'm not sure if I want to start taking it.

What's the main difference between cell tech compared to a monohydrate product?

I am about 5'6 and weigh 130lbs. Do you guys think I should be taking this stuff or find a creatine monohydrate

Cooked Rice
11-10-2010, 02:02 AM
I would suggest just good old plain and straight creatine monohydrate. For a pre-workout I take Jack3d which has creatine in it. I take creatine twice a day. I count my serving of Jack3d as one dose of creatine. The other dose is just plain GNC creatine monohydrate.

403Gemini
11-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I think the brand is Six Star Muscle. I think.

Yes.

http://www.sixstarmuscle.com/products/index.shtml

Thats the brand I bought last night.

Just to clarify, for the first two weeks on it, use 2 scoops post workout and days I dont work out 1 scoop in the morning and another 12 hours later.

Then after my first week, just do 1 scoop post work out and days I dont work out just do a scoop in the morning?

I got the fruit punch flavored one, it actually tastes half decent :rofl:

Took my chest and arm measurements this morning before working out so lets see where I'm at in a month lol

schocker
11-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Just to clarify, for the first two weeks on it, use 2 scoops post workout and days I dont work out 1 scoop in the morning and another 12 hours later.

Then after my first week, just do 1 scoop post work out and days I dont work out just do a scoop in the morning?

Took my chest and arm measurements this morning before working out so lets see where I'm at in a month lol
I had that stuff, couldnt stand that flavour :rofl:
Now I am using super pump pre and protein with a scoop of creatine mono post. I just got the tub from shoppers.

J-hop
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM

gyu
11-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I had that one, I got hives after using it about 5 times and haven't touched creatine ever since.

J-hop
11-17-2010, 02:12 AM