PDA

View Full Version : New - Next Mayor of Calgary

Pages : [1] 2

Weapon_R
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Just curious how the new announcement of Barb Higgins is going to play in the mayoral race. Since the other poll was obviously one-sided, I'd love to see how her entry is going to effect that.

For me, it won't change much at all. I don't think she has any experience and certainly not as much as other good candidates. She is well known and she is a charismatic person, which will help her go pretty far though.

So, opinions? Discussion?

Sugarphreak
07-28-2010, 02:57 PM

dezmarez
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
You should close the other thread,
or re-direct to this one,
I am interested as well to know, and already Barb is in second place.

I really like Naheed's platform and will most likely vote for him, but i doubt he will get enough votes as he is not well known in the community.

If you guys haven't looked already, he has a facebook page and has updates on alot of issues.

SilverGS
07-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow.. so many votes already for Higgins. Am I missing information about what her platform is other than fiscal conservative? Not much info on her stance on anything yet but she is already a top contender.

For those who said they would vote for her. Why are you choosing her?

spikerS
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
that's right, vote for the bewbs! :facepalm:

Lets elect the celebrity! I'm sure she will do just as good of a job as Arnold in california!

She does not have any of the experience needed to be mayor. All she does is look pretty in front of the camera and reads a teleprompter. All she does is read the news, not report it.

so her experience is reading what others have written for her. Vote for her if you want a puppet.

CUG
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

For me, it won't change much at all. I don't think she has any experience and certainly not as much as other good candidates. She is well known and she is a charismatic person, which will help her go pretty far though.

So, opinions? Discussion?

I'm tossed between Naheed Nenshi and Ric McIver.

I want to back up McI, but if it's the old dog approach that this whole city is F-ing sick of, then I'm 110% voting for, and backing Nenshi as long as he is pro-track.

flipstah
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by CUG

I want to back up McI, but if it's the old dog approach that this whole city is F-ing sick of, then I'm 110% voting for, and backing Nenshi as long as he is pro-track.

I was rooting for McIver but after learning more about Nenshi and his policies, his C-Train policy to be specific, I'm starting to become conflicted.

Fuck it. I'll go Kassam.

mr2mike
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Ralph Klein went from news reporter to Mayor to Premier and was arguably Alberta's best politician.

As long as she adopts some of Klein's ways and surrounds herself with the right people.

flipstah
07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Ralph Klein went from news reporter to Mayor to Premier and was arguably Alberta's best politician.

As long as she adopts some of Klein's ways and surrounds herself with the right people.

She looks like a lightweight.

SilverGS
07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Klein was a city hall reporter and may have had an inside track on issues and inner workings of city hall.

Barb has been an anchor for the last 2 decades and we don't know yet if she knows how to run a city. She did say she has also written news for the last 21 years as well but how does she prove what she has done and if it is relevant to running a city.

98type_r
07-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by spikers
that's right, vote for the bewbs! :facepalm:

Lets elect the celebrity! I'm sure she will do just as good of a job as Arnold in california!

She does not have any of the experience needed to be mayor. All she does is look pretty in front of the camera and reads a teleprompter. All she does is read the news, not report it.

so her experience is reading what others have written for her. Vote for her if you want a puppet.

The sad reality is, she will get a lot of votes based strictly on her celebrity status. Take that with the historically low voter turnout and there is a very realistic possibility she could be our new mayor.

whiskas
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
The city of calgary is structured and run very much like a large business. The Mayor is the Prez and the VPs are the aldermen. The heads of each department report to them, and they pass it on down through their chain. Each departments agenda and budget is set by the VPs + City Council.

Having been an anchor for so long may give her insight into WHAT kind of problems we're facing, however it doesn't give her any experience in HOW to solve them. She took Business Administration at school... which makes her qualified to be a receptionist, not the president of the company.

People have been listening to her reading off a teleprompter about the city's problems for the last 2 decades, and it seems that because of that... through some form of retard logic, they assume she knows how to solve them? Can someone enlighten me why they would make that assumption?

guessboi
07-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I love Naheed Nenshi. I will vote for him but he is not as popular as Barb and Ric.

:banghead:

He used to taught me marketing 317 at UofC back in 03. Awesome dude and very smart - he consulted for shoppers drug mart and look at how good they are doing now...also he bumped my grade from B+ to A-. I will never forget that. :clap:

Xtrema
07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r

The sad reality is, she will get a lot of votes based strictly on her celebrity status. Take that with the historically low voter turnout and there is a very realistic possibility she could be our new mayor.

This.

She will attract votes that otherwise won't show up anyways. Her TV presence will pwn all the McIver's grand standings of the past year.

I'm sure her people will come up with a good platform. Once that's revealed, watch all the corporate interest start backing the winning horse and away from others.

dino_martini
07-28-2010, 05:11 PM
For me its between Connelly and Higgins. I guess it just depnds what her platform is like. Like I have said before, I hope mciver doesn't win

CHICHARITZHI
07-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
For me its between Connelly and Higgins. I guess it just depnds what her platform is like. Like I have said before, I hope mciver doesn't win

mciver will win :D

Weapon_R
07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Nenshi is a likable candidate. I met him, of all places, at the Land Titles office campaigning. My problem with him is that he has aligned himself with a lot of NDP and left wing candidates, so we'll have the same unchecked spending and social programs that Bronconnier was about, perhaps even worse.

idioteque
07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
i can't believe so many people are voting for Barb Higgins. she has done nothing to prove herself as a politician, leader, or manager, and she hasn't even published a platform yet.

not to mention that CTV news is for old white people.

CHICHARITZHI
07-28-2010, 05:45 PM
i will vote the person those who are not against the loud bike for street safety reason.

brownchild
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Jon Lord

speedog
07-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by CHICHARITZHI
i will vote the person those who are not against the loud bike for street safety reason. Say again please?

beyond_ban
07-28-2010, 06:01 PM
I think trolls are signing up and voting for Barb. How is everyone choosing her without knowing anything about her political platform/no (sp mistake intended) how/ experience?

2EFNFAST
07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I think trolls are signing up and voting for Barb. How is everyone choosing her without knowing anything about her political platform/no (sp mistake intended) how/ experience?

change is good.

i'd rather have somebody with no political experience than somebody with tons. I mean, look how well the current method (vote for experience) has worked out - pretty crappily.

CHICHARITZHI
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Say again please?

i will vote for the person who will not be against the loud sportbike. :D

Sugarphreak
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM

CUG
07-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Nenshi is a likable candidate. I met him, of all places, at the Land Titles office campaigning. My problem with him is that he has aligned himself with a lot of NDP and left wing candidates, so we'll have the same unchecked spending and social programs that Bronconnier was about, perhaps even worse. Well, shit.

I really want that old dog club GONE. The power circles in town are full of white hair, I think it needs fresh and influential blood to move Calgary into the future.

idioteque
07-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Well, shit.

I really want that old dog club GONE. The power circles in town are full of white hair, I think it needs fresh and influential blood to move Calgary into the future.

so you're basically saying you won't vote for McIver. That pretty much brings your choices down to Nenshi and Higgins. i don't know about you, but from what i've seen, Nenshi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Higgins. Neither have any actual experience, but Nenshi's CV is awesome. He's got degrees AND "real-life" community experiences that make him well-suited for such a position. he's also a "minority," from immigrant parents, which I think gives him a clear advantage when it comes to relating to the typical modern Calgarian. Higgins, on the other hand, has nothing, except for 20 years experience as a newscaster on an outdated, western-caucasian, ultra-conservative, b-class newscast....

i don't see why any beyonders would vote for her. her demographic is the white, 60+, going nowhere retired crowd. zzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

speedog
07-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by CHICHARITZHI
i will vote for the person who will not be against the loud sportbike. That boat has already set sail, hasn't it?

speedog
07-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Higgen's is kind of pissing me off... who the hell announces they are going to run for Mayor and then withholds their platform and political views for 11 weeks? What a farce. 11 weeks? She said she'd release her platform by Labor day and by the math I know and the calendars I use, that's less than 11 weeks away.

That aside, it is now a much more interesting mayor's race. Still like Nenshi, but suspect he won't win.

kenny
07-28-2010, 11:48 PM

Experience means nothing when it comes to running for Mayor IMO. Fancy platforms and big promises also mean nothing, at the end of the day everything comes down to a vote, and the Mayor gets the tie breaking vote.

Barb has proven to be someone that cares a lot about Calgary, and I think thats all that matters.

PremiumRSX
07-28-2010, 11:50 PM

I think I am in the same boat as you.

Higgen's is kind of pissing me off... who the hell announces they are going to run for Mayor and then withholds their platform and political views for 11 weeks? What a farce.

I will probably go for McIver, While Nenshi would be my runner up... but I don't want to split my vote.

This is quickly becoming a two horse race and if McIver is going to beat out Higgen's and her 24/7 coverage from CTV he is going to need every vote he can get.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be voting for McIver, but I wouldn't be surprised of Higgins wins. She definitely seems to have a lot of support going for her.

Melinda
07-28-2010, 11:52 PM

I think I am in the same boat as you.

Higgen's is kind of pissing me off... who the hell announces they are going to run for Mayor and then withholds their platform and political views for 11 weeks? What a farce.

I will probably go for McIver, While Nenshi would be my runner up... but I don't want to split my vote.

This is quickly becoming a two horse race and if McIver is going to beat out Higgen's and her 24/7 coverage from CTV he is going to need every vote he can get.
Just because there is a s at the end of someone's name, does not mean it needs an '. Please take some time to learn the purpose of an ' for the future so you won't make yourself look like such a tool. Her name is Higgins. Not Higgin, which is exactly what you are implying when you add a 's at the end.

I voted for Higgins in the poll, because I think journalists have a unique perspective when it comes to a city and the links of the chain that make it all work. Experience doesn't always mean ability and vice versa. However, I am not afraid to change my vote if when her platform comes out it is something that I don't support or agree with.

CUG
07-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by idioteque

so you're basically saying you won't vote for McIver. That brings pretty much brings your choices down to Nenshi and Higgins. i don't know about you, but from what i've seen, Nenshi >Higgins. Neither have any actual experience, but Nenshi's CV is awesome. He's got degrees AND "real-life" community experiences that make him well-suited for such a position. he's also a "minority," from immigrant parents, which I think gives him a clear advantage when it comes to relating to the typical modern Calgarian. Higgins, on the other hand, has nothing, except for 20 years experience as a newscaster on an outdated, western-caucasian, ultra-conservative, b-class newscast....

i don't see how anyone could vote for that bitch. If you're going to be an uneducated racist, don't post at me or quote me at all; I couldn't hold your opinion in any type of regard.

Higgins being caucasian or serving a "western-caucasian news company", and Nenshi being a brown guy from an immigrant family doesn't mean shit to me. Nenshi's ideas for the city and the good nature of his past captured my attention, not his skin colour or the nationality of his parents.

People like you are the only reason Kassam got votes.

An aside, you're in the West, us whites are in abundance, as are many other races. If you don't like it, beat it.

idioteque
07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
11 weeks? She said she'd release her platform by Labor day and by the math I know and the calendars I use, that's less than 11 weeks away.

That aside, it is now a much more interesting mayor's race. Still like Nenshi, but suspect he won't win.

i like Nenshi as well, but McIver has proven experience, capabilities, and balls. Nenshi is very new school and offers much promise, but I think the voters view him as a risk. Also, unfortunately, people in this city aren't used to or ready for change. we all have to remember that Calgary is still a very conservative western city driven by corporate oil. i think the city could use a leader like Nenshi, but I don't think the voters would choose that (yet).

I think this race comes down to McIver vs. Higgins. IMO, when given these options, the result is clear: McIver should win. He has a proven track record, and would be able to do te job well. Higgins, on the other hand, has nothing... She has been a puppet for her entire career, why would anything change should she become mayor? She has done nothing to convince me that she could handle such a job.

g-m
07-29-2010, 12:01 AM
^^(CUG) pretty much what I was going to say

idioteque
07-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by CUG
If you're going to be an uneducated racist, don't post at me or quote me at all; I couldn't hold your opinion in any type of regard.

Higgins being caucasian or serving a "western-caucasian news company", and Nenshi being a brown guy from an immigrant family doesn't mean shit to me. Nenshi's ideas for the city and the good nature of his past captured my attention, not his skin colour or the nationality of his parents.

People like you are the only reason Kassam got votes.

An aside, you're in the West, us whites are in abundance, as are many other races. If you don't like it, beat it.

Wow, talk about misinterpretation.

CUG
07-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Wow, talk about misinterpretation. I apologize if I misinterpreted you, but key points of what you said highlighted ethnicity. By all means, explain it for me..

idioteque
07-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I apologize if I misinterpreted you, but key points of what you said highlighted ethnicity. By all means, explain it for me..

YOU were the one who brought "race" into this. I simply stated that Nenshi (vs. Higgins) represented minorities and immigrants, both of which I am, even though I am whiter and more American than 99% of the people on this forum.

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Who's Barb Higgins?

CUG
07-29-2010, 12:18 AM

YOU were the one who brought "race" into this. I simply stated that Nenshi (vs. Higgins) represented minorities and immigrants, both of which I am, even though I am whiter and more American than 99% of the people on this forum. Uh, I don't quite think I did, until I pointed out YOUR GOD DAMN RACISM.

Sugarphreak
07-29-2010, 08:11 AM

Melinda
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Phew, good thing you caught that... I almost thought the world stopped turning there for a second.
:rofl: Whatever makes you feel better about looking ignorant while trying to be taken seriously.

Phenix
07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I've started to notice adds everywhere for the Candidates today. Here comes the visual pollution again :facepalm:

403Gemini
07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

For those who said they would vote for her. Why are you choosing her?

Yes please, for the 49 people who voted Higgins (which she is leading at this point in the thread by about 19 votes) - enlighten the rest of us of Higgins' actual political policy and platform?

Why would I vote for her when she hasn't announced what she even plans on doing. Granted when she does release the info, it may very well swing my vote, but obviously information and promises are needed instead of "I am a local celebrity, FEAR ME!"

It's funny people saying they support Higgins, yet we all laughed so much at this video:

mKKKgua7wQk

How is this any different? Those people didn't know or seem to car about Sarah Palin's policies / platform yet they wanted a "fresh change" in politics...

I'll say again though , I'm not saying Higgins isn't qualified for the job, I'm just saying we should wait to see her official stance before voting ;)

Gainsbarre
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Why would I vote for her when she hasn't announced what she even plans on doing. Granted when she does release the info, it may very well swing my vote, but obviously information and promises are needed instead of "I am a local celebrity, FEAR ME!"

Probably doesn't matter in this city -- I don't think people will even bother reading a candidates platform. Remember the 2008 federal election? The conservatives didn't even release their platform until a week before the election, yet they still swept this city. Even with a full week to digest their platform (which was very light I must say -- resembeled more of a scrapbook / grade school yearbook where pictures of the PM seemed to overshadow the actual policy proposals), I'll bet that the vast majority of voters didn't read the platform of the party that they voted for.

Spoke to Nenshi in person over the weekend and have watched a bunch of his video interviews -- I'll likely be voting for him come election day.

freshprince1
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

change is good.

i'd rather have somebody with no political experience than somebody with tons. I mean, look how well the current method (vote for experience) has worked out - pretty crappily.

Yes, lets vote for "change" of some undefined sort...look how well that's working for the US. Why vote arbitrarily for change? That is quite ignorant in my opinion...you're basically playing political russian roulette.

Why not look for change in another candidate that has actual experience and the skill set to provide a defined road for productive change?

Tomaz
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I voted Barb cause she is not a politician. Maybe I will change my mind after reading more of her platform.

"She doesn't have the experience" keeps been thrown around, but really, since when was experience needed when you represent the voice of the people? The People speak, she obeys or gets the boot. She already is a figurehead in the community, all the hard work is done.

Really, nothing will really change no matter who you throw into the hot seat. There still will be haters hating, lovers loving, and whiners whining. In the end, not much will get done.

Unless politics have changed in the past while, I thought a Mayoralty Race was just one big popularity contest? Guess who is winning?

PS: I don't even get to vote in this election. LOL

downbytheriver
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Naheed Nenshi for sure. It's not even close, he has the best platform (ie. he actually has one) and has excellent ideas.

whiskas
07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Just saw her quote on CBC: "There are over 200 managers at City Hall, and I as mayor, it would not be my job to tell them how to do their job."

This quote just pisses me off. How the fuck is she qualified if she believes in doing nothing? As the mayor she has to set priorities and budgets for her departments. "I don't care how much you spend or how you do it" is NOT an attitude I want running this city.

sexualbanana
07-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I also don't see where the Higgins love is coming from. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she'd make a good candidate/Mayor, but I haven't seen anything from her. As of right now, she's a face and a name on a ballot.

Originally posted by downbytheriver
Naheed Nenshi for sure. It's not even close, he has the best platform (ie. he actually has one) and has excellent ideas.

I like Nenshi as well. Not just for the connection that he was my intro to marketing prof back in the day, but because I think he is by far the most accessible and most able to relate to the public. His blog and his writings in the Herald scream of two things that do nothing but help him
- He's articulate and can get his point across very well
- He is a Calgarian and despite having left to go study at other schools and live/work in other cities, ultimately he returned to Calgary (and from his classroom, I know he genuinely loves Calgary) so he knows the problems and he's experienced the problems.

Nenshi has done a really good job in his blog and Herald writings in outlining what he believes to be the problem which I think is miles ahead of what any other candidate has done. Even looking at McIver's website and the outline of his platform I'm left with a feeling that he really didn't go into detail about the problem, nor has he really laid out what kind of direction that he wants to lead the City.

dezmarez
07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I like Nenshi as well. Not just for the connection that he was my intro to marketing prof back in the day, but because I think he is by far the most accessible and most able to relate to the public. His blog and his writings in the Herald scream of two things that do nothing but help him
- He's articulate and can get his point across very well
- He is a Calgarian and despite having left to go study at other schools and live/work in other cities, ultimately he returned to Calgary (and from his classroom, I know he genuinely loves Calgary) so he knows the problems and he's experienced the problems.

Nenshi has done a really good job in his blog and Herald writings in outlining what he believes to be the problem which I think is miles ahead of what any other candidate has done. Even looking at McIver's website and the outline of his platform I'm left with a feeling that he really didn't go into detail about the problem, nor has he really laid out what kind of direction that he wants to lead the City.

My thoughts exactly. Had him for a class (can't remember the name, we participated in mikes bikes) but you could tell he loved Calgary, we would have class debates on how to improve the city. The thing is I'm not just a homer because i had him, there were plenty of profs I had that I wouldn't even think of voting for had they run for mayor, but Naheed is smart, understands what the PEOPLE of Calgary want/need and I think has the fundamentals to implement those changes.

downbytheriver
07-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Her point was tying to distinguish the role of mayor as leader rather than manager. It's the job of the mayor to set policy and direction and for the managers to implement those directions. Not to manage managers, if that makes sense. There's a necessary separation between council and administration, which some alderman tend to sometimes blur.

Originally posted by whiskas
Just saw her quote on CBC: "There are over 200 managers at City Hall, and I as mayor, it would not be my job to tell them how to do their job."

This quote just pisses me off. How the fuck is she qualified if she believes in doing nothing? As the mayor she has to set priorities and budgets for her departments. "I don't care how much you spend or how you do it" is NOT an attitude I want running this city.

adam c
07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Just finished checking out Neshi's website and I like his ideas but one huge flaw is where is the money going to come from to fund these huge transit projects he has planned

dezmarez
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by adam c
Just finished checking out Neshi's website and I like his ideas but one huge flaw is where is the money going to come from to fund these huge transit projects he has planned

By not building 2 $1 billion pedestrian bridges.

sputnik
07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I have more faith in former media members running for mayor than I do of career politicians.

Ralph Klein was a great mayor and he entered politics after being a newspaper columnist.

I believe media workers have a broader perspective on the affairs of a city than most others would.

downbytheriver
07-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Aside from his NCLRT proposal, there aren't that many transit policies he's proposing that would cost an enormous amount of money. Things like utilizing better technology for payment systems don't actually cost that much, but have huge gains. Utilizing buses better is also pretty cost-effective and other proposals like a Transit Rider's Advisory Committee wouldn't cost anything.

Transit though, is a big ticket expense. Just look at the cost of the NW and NE LRT extensions and the WLRT - combined over $1 billion. Compare that to the cost of the ring-road which all told will be well over 4-5 billion dollars. Transit like roads is expensive, but really, really important.

As for the North Central LRT proposal - it's quite simply not acceptable that you would build the LRT line adjacent to Deerfoot Trail where there aren't any people! It will be more expensive, but Calgary needs to stop making shortcuts on important infrastructure that is meant to serve hundreds of thousands of people for potentially centuries - we will pay later.

Utlimately, much of this big infrastructure ends up getting paid for by provincial and federal partners, much moreso than by property taxes levied by the City.

downbytheriver
07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez

By not building 2 $1 billion pedestrian bridges.

1 billion?

Aleks
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Who's Barb Higgins?

Your new mayor come October. :nut:

Melinda
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
As I said, I voted for Barb in the poll because I (as a trained journalist) respect the unique view a journalist has on their city and surroundings. Klein is a prime example on that one. I don't think experienced politicans are always the greatest choice to initiate change or action. They are too swayed by the money and people that have been pulling on their shirt sleeves throughout their entire career. Look at every single federal government we've had in the last 20 years. Look at any polician in the US. Not exactly a fantastic track record for experience there.

However, I did also say that if/when her platform comes out and it's full of garbage, things I disagree with or useless crap, I wouldn't hesitate to change my vote to another candidate.

speedog
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
By not building 2 $1 billion pedestrian bridges. Please do tell where these supposed bridges are, k?

CUG
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
(as a trained journalist) respect the unique view a journalist I meant to ask you if you felt the degree was worthwhile..

Melinda
07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I meant to ask you if you felt the degree was worthwhile..
In my specific case? Yes, I learned a lot and I will always have a skillset to fall back on if I need it. However, I found more passion in photography than ambulance chasing (read: city news) so I didn't pursue a career in the reporting side of things. I still write a lot though, and I've had some stuff put into magazines over the years, just haven't pursued a newspaper career with my education.

However, I learned enough and did a long enough stint in it to know that a city journalist does get a very very unique view of the population and surroundings they cover. I think if Barb puts that to good use, she could do good things for this city.

Melinda
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Also, why are people harping on these bridges still? I thought there was a huge discussion a while back about how the city is shouldering little of the actual cost and the money was raised elsewhere? It hardly seems like something to worry about when the mayor in power during these decisions isn't even running for re-election.

sexualbanana
07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I think we start to see where Nenshi's private sector experience and teaching experience pays off here. Because at the root of Nenshi's campaign, and his main criticism of the current government, is that Council and the Mayor have not asked the right questions. As in "Why is the Transit system as fucked as it is?" or "How come no one has brought up the cause and effect of $3 park n ride fees?"

I didn't mind Bronconnier as a Mayor, but I never really thought that he ever understand any of the problems and that his solution to everything was to throw the Province's money at it.

dezmarez
07-29-2010, 03:22 PM

1 billion?

Please do tell where these supposed bridges are, k?

lol obviously they arent nearly that much....

just saying that most of the things in his proposal, don't require huge allocations of money,
he is talking about rapid bus lines, i don't see how this would bring a massive expense to the budget...

adam c
07-29-2010, 03:30 PM

lol obviously they arent nearly that much....

just saying that most of the things in his proposal, don't require huge allocations of money,
he is talking about rapid bus lines, i don't see how this would bring a massive expense to the budget...

he also talked about a train going up the central corridor which would be astronomical in terms of cost

also a BRT to the airport would be useless with the traffic during rush hour

downbytheriver
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM

he also talked about a train going up the central corridor which would be astronomical in terms of cost

also a BRT to the airport would be useless with the traffic during rush hour

True Bus Rapid Transit has dedicated lanes - so rush hour traffic would be irrelivant.

monkeyman
07-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Haha. Nothing like throwing a 'famous' name in the mix without knowing her platform. Lord help us all.

frinkprof
07-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Aside from his NCLRT proposal, there aren't that many transit policies he's proposing that would cost an enormous amount of money. Things like utilizing better technology for payment systems don't actually cost that much, but have huge gains. Utilizing buses better is also pretty cost-effective and other proposals like a Transit Rider's Advisory Committee wouldn't cost anything.Payment systems are actually part of a package that includes realtime arrival information for LRT and BRT, 4 car capacity platform extensions, SEBRT Park N' Ride lots and some other items that already has funding commitments from other levels of government. Supposed to be all done by 2014.

http://www.calgarymayor.ca/files/pressreleases/2009/transit_funding_announcement_brochure.pdf

As for the North Central LRT proposal - it's quite simply not acceptable that you would build the LRT line adjacent to Deerfoot Trail where there aren't any people! It will be more expensive, but Calgary needs to stop making shortcuts on important infrastructure that is meant to serve hundreds of thousands of people for potentially centuries - we will pay later.If you (or anyone) wants to know a little more about the North Central LRT routing issue, I'd suggest taking a peek at

http://www.growsmart.ca/

which advocates revisiting the idea of routing up the Nose Creek Valley. Some of the pages are a bit of a text bomb though.

Utlimately, much of this big infrastructure ends up getting paid for by provincial and federal partners, much moreso than by property taxes levied by the City.Yeah. Property taxes by-and-large go to (and are meant to go to) operating costs rather than capital projects, especially when it comes to these larger-scale transit projects.

frinkprof
07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
also a BRT to the airport would be useless with the traffic during rush hour There are design measures that can be implemented to avoid bus/traffic delays with a BRT system. Dedicated lanes, bus pull-outs and preferential signal control. You might not see dedicated lanes for an airport BRT, but almost certainly the other two.

An airport BRT route to and from downtown along Centre Street has been in the planning for at least a couple years and you will probably see such a route (perhaps not fullscale BRT yet) when Barlow Trail is closed within a year.

See page 9 of the "Northern Hills Transit Service" document:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/NH_OH_Information_Boards_2009Dec08.pdf

mx73someday
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
If you vote for Barb Higgins consequences will never be the same.

Redlyne_mr2
07-29-2010, 11:10 PM
One of the reasons Bronco failed is because he couldn't keep city council under control. So many different views pulling at each other from different directions. Not sure if Barb would be able to unify city counsel or not.

CUG
07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
If you vote for Barb Higgins consequences will never be the same. I saw that o.O

Disoblige
07-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Haha.. Wonder what Ric is thinking after he knew Barb was running.. Something like "Awww shit!", while we're all like "Awww shiiiit! :bigpimp: "

souljer
07-30-2010, 01:54 AM
usually dont follow elections or anything, but check out some of Naheed Nenshi videos, and really like them. dont usually vote or care bout these things. but will be voting this october! :thumbsup:

monkeyman
07-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
One of the reasons Bronco failed is because he couldn't keep city council under control. So many different views pulling at each other from different directions. Not sure if Barb would be able to unify city counsel or not.

Didn't you hear? They are painting the hall chambers bright colors to help them work together better :rolleyes:

derran.m
07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Look at Arnold, Governor of California .... did he have any background or history or experience with politics?
He won because of his celebrity status ... and honestly has not done a bad job of it from what I can tell... a few thigns a bit extreme but it's not like the entire state is a complete disaster because of him.

I must say I like Barb's stance, that she does not necessarily need alot of experience in the field. The Mayor position is to oversee what the aldermen are doing. Not make the decisions for them and tell them how to do their job. She ensures things go smoothly and properly.

If I were a Calgary resident, I would vote for her. I think she would be the next Klein, or very close to it.

spikerS
07-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by derran.m
Look at Arnold, Governor of California .... did he have any background or history or experience with politics?
He won because of his celebrity status ... and honestly has not done a bad job of it from what I can tell... a few thigns a bit extreme but it's not like the entire state is a complete disaster because of him.

I must say I like Barb's stance, that she does not necessarily need alot of experience in the field. The Mayor position is to oversee what the aldermen are doing. Not make the decisions for them and tell them how to do their job. She ensures things go smoothly and properly.

If I were a Calgary resident, I would vote for her. I think she would be the next Klein, or very close to it.

I am glad you don't live in calgary lol

sexualbanana
07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
The Mayor position is to oversee what the aldermen are doing. Not make the decisions for them and tell them how to do their job. She ensures things go smoothly and properly.

Though I agree for the most part, if something's not work (like it hasn't been lately) then the Mayor (or someone appointed by the Mayor) needs to step in and get it fixed. Which is something I don't think has really been done.

sputnik
07-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Also, why are people harping on these bridges still? I thought there was a huge discussion a while back about how the city is shouldering little of the actual cost and the money was raised elsewhere? It hardly seems like something to worry about when the mayor in power during these decisions isn't even running for re-election.

The city is actually covering NONE of the cost.

The entire cost of the bridges came from the provincial urban transportation fund that was about $2 billion dollars.

So at $50 mil for 2 bridges it works out to 0.025% of the fund.

1barA4
07-30-2010, 02:18 PM

While not possessing political experience, his end goal had always been politics, which is why he married who he did (Schriver being related to the kennedy's)...he talked about it a lot in his bios and stuff.

As for the state that Cali is in now, I don't know enough of the background to say it is or isn't his fault :confused:

As for voting for a recognizable face...well, the sheeple are typically too stupid to research the issues and the candidate platforms, and even then, some are still single-issue voters. Listening to QR77 and people arguing for why it's a good idea to vote based on name recognition as opposed to platform made me want to an hero.

Melinda
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

The entire cost of the bridges came from the provincial urban transportation fund that was about $2 billion dollars.

So at $50 mil for 2 bridges it works out to 0.025% of the fund.
Exactly, thank you for clarifying :)

dezmarez
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Exactly, thank you for clarifying :)

lol so how about using that fund to pay for some effective public transportation :thumbsup:

monkeyman
07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by souljer
usually dont follow elections or anything, but check out some of Naheed Nenshi videos, and really like them. dont usually vote or care bout these things. but will be voting this october! :thumbsup:

He has some good ideas but he leans to the left - just like Kent Hehr. Those ideals won't be good for the city as a whole.

The lineup is lackluster imo.

Mciver wants a racetrack, but he is just like Al Duerr, which was being cheap and never getting shit done.

Barbie, no experience, doubt she has the "balls" for politics.

sexualbanana
07-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4

As for voting for a recognizable face...well, the sheeple are typically too stupid to research the issues and the candidate platforms, and even then, some are still single-issue voters.

Plenty of those on beyond (single-issue voters)

turbotrip
07-30-2010, 03:34 PM
A couple of the candidates are going to be volunteering at the Mustard Seed tonight

Celica TVS3
07-30-2010, 03:47 PM

lol so how about using that fund to pay for some effective public transportation :thumbsup:

It had to be used for green transportation projects.

The bridge might be expensive, but I would rather have one well designed (albiet expensive) bridge than five generic soviet style concrete bridges that would be an eyesore.

Sugarphreak
07-30-2010, 04:26 PM

derran.m
07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

I am glad you don't live in calgary lol

lol ... yet :poosie:

monkeyman
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Here is the way I see it;

Firstly; that 50 million dollars you are trying to trivialize as nothing is still tax payer money. It came out of my paycheck and everybody else on this forum that has a job.

Secondly; even if the the city was "given" all of it to play with, they should be using it responsibly.

Thirdly; There is no bridge needed there, there never way and all the studies that were done have no real substance to them. As somebody who lived not far from there for years it was never an issue to go from one side to the other by bike, or by foot.

Building a 25M legacy piece for Bronco to immortalize himself on and Druh Farrelll trying to increase her personal property value with money that belongs to the people is a bunch of crap.

50 Million in "Urban Transportation" money could have gone much farther doing something far more useful than a giant penis bridge for Bronco.

Amen brother. Right on the money.

Ego went ahead of common sense in this situation. Bronco and Druh are by far the worst offenders. If Druuuuuuh gets back it again, it will be a sad day.

duaner
07-30-2010, 05:03 PM
It is unfortunate but of course people will vote for her just because she's a woman or a recognizable face. But I think that the comments that Barb is "just a pretty face" and all she can do is "read from a teleprompter" are rather ignorant and clearly such people have not actually thought things through.

Barb has been reporting the news for 21 years. This means she is reporting on politics and the city and it's people. It also means she more than likely knows the inner workings of City Hall better than most who are not involved in politics. She also very likely has more than one friend in high places within the city and knows a lot about things going on outside of City Hall. I've heard that she has the same guy backing her that backed Klein and was instrumental in getting him as far as he went.

From what I have read and seen on the news she is also very involved in the community, so she is already very in touch with the people.

Given the way things have gone at City Hall the last several years, I would rather not vote for anyone who is there currently, although the flip side is that Barb may rely too heavily on those who are there.

I did vote Barb but that is conditional on her platform. The only point of this post was to make sure people are actually thinking these things through and not making ignorant statements.

speedog
07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Thirdly; There is no bridge needed there, there never way and all the studies that were done have no real substance to them. As somebody who lived not far from there for years it was never an issue to go from one side to the other by bike, or by foot. frinkprof, this is your cue.

brownchild
07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm surprised noones mentioned Jon Lord.

frinkprof
07-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

So at $50 mil for 2 bridges it works out to 0.025% of the fund. This is not entirely correct.

Peace Bridge design and construction = $24.5M

+ St. Patrick's Island Bridge design = $0.5M

= $25M from MSI (Municipal Sustainable Infrastructure) provincial grant

St. Patrick's Island Bridge construction will be paid for by the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation via land sales in the East Village, which they are in charge of redeveloping.

frinkprof
07-30-2010, 08:22 PM

Here is the way I see it;

Firstly; that 50 million dollars you are trying to trivialize as nothing is still tax payer money. It came out of my paycheck and everybody else on this forum that has a job.See above post.

Secondly; even if the the city was "given" all of it to play with, they should be using it responsibly.Of course, which is why a higher level of government (the Province) had to approve of each individual project that the MSI funding would be used for, and they have approved the bridge. Not that responsibility is necessarily a hallmark of the Province.

In the case of the CMLC, The St. Patrick's Island Bridge is seen as a responsible expenditure to them. Their mandate is to ready the East Village for development by replacing and/or improving infrastructure, maximize the development interest in and value of the properties in the East Village, and to sell off the City's land holdings. They think that the St. Patrick's Island Bridge aide in that, and it should.

Thirdly; There is no bridge needed there, there never way and all the studies that were done have no real substance to them. As somebody who lived not far from there for years it was never an issue to go from one side to the other by bike, or by foot. Could you elaborate on or substantiate this? Plans like the Centre City Plan (not study) (completed in 2007, called for bridge in that location) are a part of how everyday business is conducted at City Hall. The nuts and bolts of a document like the Centre City Plan isn't really that different than most other such plans that go through City Hall.

If I recall correctly, you live on the west side of the city, so I'll pick a community like West Springs as an example. The development plan that was originally approved by the City for that community laying out things like what goes where and why, how it will be done, phasing, etc. would read a lot like the plans that called for the location of what ended up being the Peace Bridge project.

Building a 25M legacy piece for Bronco to immortalize himself on and Druh Farrelll trying to increase her personal property value with money that belongs to the people is a bunch of crap.

50 Million in "Urban Transportation" money could have gone much farther doing something far more useful than a giant penis bridge for Bronco. 7 council members voted for the project for it to pass. 1 or 2 people on a 15 person council can't really scheme together on something and ram it through without having enough people that agree.

As far as legacies go, the Calatrava sole-sourcing (basically the root of the black marks on this project) was more the doing of the now-retired John Hubbell (Manager of Transportation Dept.). As far as I'm aware anyway.

frinkprof, this is your cue. Haha. So I'm recognized as that guy eh?

speedog
07-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by frinkprof
Haha. So I'm recognized as that guy eh? and it's not necessarily a bad thing either.

speedog
07-30-2010, 08:58 PM
So why only 10 options in the poll when 12 have announced their intentions?

Aside from that, it will be a two horse race barring no new surprise announcements - Higgins and MacIver. What I find dismaying is listening to the nutcases that call into QR77 that say they'll be voting for Higgins just because of who she is and regardless of her upcoming platform announcements - bugs the hell out of me, but I suppose that's the way many voters roll, on name recognition more than anything else.

Sugarphreak
07-30-2010, 09:08 PM

frinkprof
07-30-2010, 09:44 PM

I thought that there was 25M for the Peace Bridge and another 25M for an additional bridge (built further down).

0.5M Doesn't seem like enough for the second bridge at all, maybe I am wrong?The $0.5M from the provincial grant was for the design of the St. Patrick's Island Bridge. The actual construction (budget of $25M I believe, set by CMLC) will be paid for by funds received from land sales in the East Village.

I really don't see these bridges as vital parts of the East Village.I was speaking about the St. Patrick's Island Bridge with regard to the East Village. It will have three landings: one in East Village, one on the island, and then one on Memorial Drive. One of the biggest things this bridge will help accomplish is making St. Patrick's Island itself a viable destination as an urban park like Prince's Island Park currently is. Currently the Island is underused and frankly not a very people-friendly place to be or to get to.

The bridge, together with the riverwalk project will also be a big selling points for residents and businesses looking to locate in East Village, which will drive up development interest and tax base for the City.

This I actually can elaborate on, the usage studies for the Peace bridge specifically were showing very unrealistic estimates and numbers.

To me it would be logical that the peace bridge might take half of the foot & bike traffic of the two nearest bridges, possibly a small increase in usage due to better access... the studies were WAY above this... I don't have time right now, but if you can find the study it seems very unreasonable.

To me it seems like a botched study to try and justify it.I'm either not familiar with this study/set of numbers or I've forgotten about it somehow. Sounds like some sort of mobility study. One key thing your synopsis seems to be missing though is accommodating growth in mobility numbers, which is pretty important.

Also I lived near that area for ~5 years, spent most of my summers walking, running and biking along that path... was never an issue to get from one side to the other, there are lots of bridges.Fair enough, and I commend the active lifestyle. I personally haven't used the bridges in that area very much (at least not since I lived near SAIT), but I've heard other anecdotes that the C-Train bridge especially gets quite crowded. It also isn't very well suited for cyclist/pedestrian mixed traffic, which is a strong feature of the design of the forthcoming Peace Bridge.

lol, even I have to give credit where it is due! I am afraid to trash talk the West LRT (which I hate) anymore on here ;) Haha. No worries. Every project has problems, inconveniences some people, and some people just plain don't like it. It is what it is. The last thing I want to come across as is attacking people.

First Lady
08-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Interesting discussion going on Twitter today regarding the "Secret Mayoralty Forum"

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/07/31/14890221.html#/news/alberta/2010/07/31/pf-14890221.html

I've posted a copy of the invite and created a poll on my blog.

http://jane4ward4.blogspot.com/

What are your thoughts?

As a side note, I see Rod Love is facilitating. Thought he was rumored to be one of the candidates campaign managers.