PDA

View Full Version : Bruxism (teeth grinding)

G-ZUS
07-28-2010, 09:34 PM
According to my dentist, (and my sore jaw in the morning_ I suffer from grinding my teeth while sleeping. Does anyone else suffer from this? How do you take care of it, or stop doing it altogether?

BrknFngrs
07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I do the same thing, as does another member of my family. Since I don't want to go the "mouth guard" route, I now sleep on my back and it makes a significant difference for me. Though when I'm under heavy stress I still have a tendency to clench my teeth to a certain degree.

Rat Fink
07-28-2010, 09:41 PM

G-ZUS
07-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I get that when I'm stressed out. My teeth are actually a little different shaped now over the years from all the grinding. Every time i go to the dentist he tells me "you must grind your teeth huh?". I do, but in my opinion its not bad enough to let them bend me over and rape my wallet for a mouth guard. When I go through a stretch where i start grinding my teeth at night I pop in a mouthguard I got at sportcheck for 10 bucks. A soft rubber one that you can grind away on all night (that I molded to my teeth by boiling in hot water before putting in). Just as good as the dentist version that costs hundreds.

You can buy mine for 5 bucks if you want to try it out.

:barf: :rofl: No thanks I'll try one from shoppers or sport chek and "mold" it to my teeth haha

Rat Fink
07-28-2010, 09:48 PM

kaput
07-28-2010, 09:50 PM

EG STyLeZ
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I've been wearing a dentist mouth guard at night for 3-4 years. I also bought one of the kind you can mould yourself from Wal Mart as a backup, but haven't opened it yet. I chewed right through the dentist one at a couple points where I'd worn my teeth down to ice picks but since then it's been fine and still works. I can't sleep without it anymore.

How comfortable is the custom dentist mouth guard? Did it take a while to get used to wearing it?

revelations
07-28-2010, 11:17 PM
I've worn a mouthguard for a few years.

Before this, I ground my teeth so hard that many developed pulp stones and had to be root canalled (6 total).

I had none of the obvious signs in the morning (sore jaw, headaches, etc) but it took 3 dentists to figure out that I was a grinder as there wasnt much evidence of grinding - unlike typical cases.

I've used both store bought and custom made. The custom ones definitely feel like youre wearing less material in your mouth and are more comfortable. I found I slobber a lot less with the dentist mouthguard and I dont mind keeping it on during "bed activities" haha...where as the store guard made me drool like a dog.

shadowz
07-29-2010, 12:21 AM
I had ground my teeth that it was quite significant, I wore a sports mouth guard for a couple years which kinda did the job, I had my dentist make a night guard huge difference sleeping was much better as well aiding in saving my teeth. I had a second one made as I wore through the first. The second one is made from a much better material it has lasted much longer. When I fall asleep without it I noticed my teeth feel very odd as if they were loose. I sleep much better with it, my gf told me that she would wake up in the middle of the night from the sound of my teeth grinding. My jaw even clicks less after the night guard.

lellowrx7
07-29-2010, 12:28 AM
You guys should ingest less E...
could help :D

Pacman
07-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I wear the mouth guard.

kaput
07-29-2010, 07:51 AM