PDA

View Full Version : not showing to court

3drian
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
hey guys almost three months ago i got a ticket in saskatchewan, and I decided I was gonna try and fight it, however my court date is comming up and its really inconvenient. Since the chances of my winning and getting no demerits out of the deal are really slim I decided I wanted to pay the ticket..

Can I just pay the ticket before the court date and then just not show up?
(not sure how id pay it since I sent it on the mail )

what happens if I dont show up on the court date and havent paid it yet?
please consider this tickets was issued in saskatchewan and Im here in Alberta..

thanks in advance
:D

Tomaz
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Option 1 - You decide to pay and payment is received BEFORE the court date: You will be accepting the plea of "guilty" and have cleared your debts.

Option 2 - You have decided to pay and payment is received AFTER the court date: Well, you did not pay before the date. You have plead "guilty". You will likely be charged interest. You will be sent a letter stating this. The letter usually shows a remaining balance if your payment was not received in time.

Option 3 - If you have not paid the fine and you have not shown up to court: Same outcome as Option 2. Your bill is in the mail.

Option 4 - Appear before the first Appearance Crown before your court date and plead your case. Outcome varies. Good luck.

Option 5 - Appear in front of a judge on your court date to enter a plea. Sometimes you make a plea and re-schedule for a court hearing, sometimes the judge will make a decision on the spot. Taking this route is not suggested by myself.

Good luck!

CUG
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Tomaz, it was in Saskatchewan.

OP, usually they issue a Canada wide traffic warrant for your arrest. The arresting police department then has to transport you to the sask court for arraignment or payment.

It's a bit of a hassle, but no big deal.

masoncgy
07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Free ride to Saskatchewan... how can you pass on that?

Tomaz
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Same rules apply from my experience...

JfuckinC
07-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by CUG

OP, usually they issue a Canada wide traffic warrant for your arrest. The arresting police department then has to transport you to the sask court for arraignment or payment.

not true.
i have an outstanding ticket from BC and i've been pulled over since? no arrest and transport to BC.

Did i miss the fun sarcasm? haha

CUG
07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
bozo's hahaha

JfuckinC
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
haha fucker.. better go get my halogen lamp fluid changed :rolleyes:

Mar
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I did this for a ticket I got in Brandon, Manitoba. Threw it away and figured nothing would happen until I pulled a credit report when buying my house and found out they put me into collections for $142. Just pay it.

luxor
07-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by CUG

What source are you pulling this from? Canada wide "traffic" warrant?

It's a missed court date for a traffic ticket, not a trial date for murder. Sure you can be arrested but I doubt you are held in a cell until they can transport you back to Sask for a couple hundred dollar ticket.

Also, as far as I know, RCMP are the ones who can issue you a Canada wide warrant for your arrest, not the Sask Police.

g-m
07-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CUG

It's a bit of a hassle, but no big deal. I have a friend who got a ticket in BC and just didn't pay it. Didn't get pulled over in BC and iirc he checked the statute of limitations and it was 3 years. Nothing ever came of it. This was about 4 years ago.

If you don't go to sk much or ever, I just wouldn't pay it.

3drian
07-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Ive thought abotu not paying it.. since I wont be going there often but then again I already plead guilty so I dont have much of a choice..

I just dont want the demerits on my lisence, If I show up to court and the cop doesnt will the ticket get thrown out? what are the chances of this happening?

Also if I decide to pay it, how can I do that since I already sent it on the mail when I plead guilty?

CUG
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by luxor

It's a missed court date for a traffic ticket, not a trial date for murder. Sure you can be arrested but I doubt you are held in a cell until they can transport you back to Sask for a couple hundred dollar ticket.

Also, as far as I know, RCMP are the ones who can issue you a Canada wide warrant for your arrest, not the Sask Police. OH SHIT

I thought he was up on murder 1. My bad,

3drian
07-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by CUG
OH SHIT

U thought right but ill create another thread for that case ...

luxor
07-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by CUG
OH SHIT

So that validates my guess, your sources of information are from your ass, which is shitty information.

CUG
07-30-2010, 01:02 AM

So that validates my guess, your sources of information are from your ass, which is shitty information. Um, nope. I've talked to people who know about this kind of stuff, thanks. I think you're ass is the hole that is talking.

turbotrip
07-30-2010, 03:45 AM

So that validates my guess, your sources of information are from your ass, which is shitty information.

:rofl:

phil98z24
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Also, as far as I know, RCMP are the ones who can issue you a Canada wide warrant for your arrest, not the Sask Police.

Missing a court date can result in arrest warrants being issue nation wide, but there should be a damned good reason. Things like hit and run and driving w/o insurance are often put to warrant when they are in conjunction with other serious matters.

BTW, it's a judge who decides whether to issue a warrant nation wide - not the issuing police service. The RCMP may be our national police, but they have no greater powers than we do.

Originally posted by 3drian
I just dont want the demerits on my lisence, If I show up to court and the cop doesnt will the ticket get thrown out? what are the chances of this happening?

Not likely to happen; it's rare when coppers miss court. AFAIK, you won't be assessed demerits for offences in other provinces anyways... so pay the ticket and move on.

3drian
07-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

AFAIK, you won't be assessed demerits for offences in other provinces anyways... so pay the ticket and move on.

this is not true, BC is the only province where u can get away with a ticket without the demerits, I discussed this on another thread, This is not my first ticket in Sauce-katchewan, I got one like year and a half ago paid it and the demerits did show up on my lisence

derran.m
07-30-2010, 09:23 AM

this is not true, BC is the only province where u can get away with a ticket without the demerits, I discussed this on another thread, This is not my first ticket in Sauce-katchewan, I got one like year and a half ago paid it and the demerits did show up on my lisence

That can't be right ... working in trucking, and obviously I have drivers all over canada and the us. They all have AB drivers' licence's, but any traffic infraction in another province/state is NOT issued to their AB abstract...
maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure demerits can only be applied with tickets issued within AB to an AB licence. SK demerits only apply to SK drivers, etc. maybe I'm wrong but that was the impression I was under

and yeah, traffic infraction causing a nation wide warant? haha that's funny ... I remember years back i had a buddy who lived in BC & ON and was a shit disturber in both provinces, had multiple warrants out for his arrest. Cops caught him and I drinking/smoking in a park, when RC's called in ym buddy's name the list from dispatch of all his charges went on for a good 10 mins LOL ... but because they were for BC & ON they just sent us on our way and gave us shit for loitering ... thank god they missed the pile of empty beer cans under the car LMAO

luxor
07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24
The RCMP may be our national police, but they have no greater powers than we do.

Say I get a speeding ticket issued by an RCMP officer on QE 2. This speeding ticket would thwart me from renewing my insurance until I pay the fine, just like a speeding ticket issued by CPS. Correct?

But if I got a speeding ticket in BC by say Vancouver police, then I can ignore it and still get my car registered and insured without a problem.

I guess what I was trying to get at is that RCMP tickets cannot be ignored as it is our national Police but municipal police issued tickets can be ignored if you don't plan on going back to that province.

phil98z24
07-30-2010, 11:36 AM

Say I get a speeding ticket issued by an RCMP officer on QE 2. This speeding ticket would thwart me from renewing my insurance until I pay the fine, just like a speeding ticket issued by CPS. Correct?

But if I got a speeding ticket in BC by say Vancouver police, then I can ignore it and still get my car registered and insured without a problem.

I guess what I was trying to get at is that RCMP tickets cannot be ignored as it is our national Police but municipal police issued tickets can be ignored if you don't plan on going back to that province.

No, because provinces are now sharing information and you will have to pay that fine before you can renew. RCMP tickets don't carry anymore weight than a municipal one; they have to respect jurisdictional boundaries just like anyone else.

3drian
07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by derran.m

but any traffic infraction in another province/state is NOT issued to their AB abstract...
maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure demerits can only be applied with tickets issued within AB to an AB licence. SK demerits only apply to SK drivers, etc. maybe I'm wrong but that was the impression I was under

fuck I wish!!!!

i paid my SASK ticket three months ago and not too long ago i went and paid the 20 bucks for my abstract and it showed up... i guess provinces are now sharing info... HOWEVER no matter how fast you are going it will only take 2 demerits off your lisence.. someone explained to me that provinces just share the traffic violation but not all the details... I was caught going 132 on a 110 which will be 3 demerits and they only took 2 on my abstract

CUG
07-31-2010, 02:04 AM
Well, turns out that even in being farcical, I was basically awesome. Thank you Phil.

UndrgroundRider
07-31-2010, 03:37 AM

Can I just pay the ticket before the court date and then just not show up?
(not sure how id pay it since I sent it on the mail )

what happens if I dont show up on the court date and havent paid it yet?
please consider this tickets was issued in saskatchewan and Im here in Alberta..

thanks in advance
:D

You should be able to just mail it in. Make sure you send it in advance, that way you can call and make sure everything was processed correctly BEFORE the appearance date.

If you don't mail it in (or if it doesn't get there in time), a bench warrant will be issued. I've never heard of, or seen a nation wide warrant being issued for a speeding ticket but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. The circumstances surround the matter would play the biggest role in deciding the jurisdiction and type of warrant issued.

Because you're from out-of-province I would venture a guess that a judge would issue an unendorsed form 21 warrant. This means two things; 1) the unendorsed part means that police cannot release you after the arrest until you have been brought before the court, and 2) the warrant is a "pay or stay" warrant, where you can settle the matter immediately by paying the outstanding dues.

Also keep in mind that an outstanding warrant is a big black mark on your credibility and that it will never expire until it's dealt with. Should you be involved with another matter it could weigh against you in a judicial interim release hearing (bail hearing).