PDA

View Full Version : Recommend sushi in the south

colt22
07-29-2010, 07:58 PM
sorry for posting this in general but I need a super quick response.

Where do all you guys go for sushi in south calgary? Any good all u can eat?

I heard kinjo is ok, opinions?

Thanks beyond

[Yu]
07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
All the good sushi joints are generally in the downtown core. South does have... GlobeFish (a lot of people of beyond seem to love it), which is in Mardaloop, as is El's Fusion (lots of rolls if you like specialty rolls).

As for kinjo, its pretty much mediocre, but the fact that the owner will come out to talk to you is cool.

for AYCE, many people have mixed reviews on here. I just go to sushi king myself, they never try to josh me around and service is always fast when I go.

403Gemini
07-29-2010, 08:21 PM
For AYCE sushi in the SW I goto Sushi Ichiban and enjoy it :dunno:

broken_legs
07-29-2010, 09:32 PM
+1 Sushi Ichiban

TYMSMNY
07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Momoyama on 3919 Richmond Rd SW, not AYCE but very good.

AYCE, not good here but if you must... Sushi Iciban isn't bad. They have one at the corner of Westbrook Mall.

Phenix
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
kinjo is ok, but it isn't all you can eat. I've been going to sakan grill in crowfoot lately. they have happy hour after 9.

jsn
07-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
+1 Sushi Ichiban

If you're looking for quality sushi, Ichiban isn't all that great. Ichiban is decent for all you can eat, but their sushi definitely isnt quality sushi. If you want quality sushi, don't go for all you can eat, but if you just want to fill yourself out on sushi, then go for all you can eat. Sushi King on 16th is the best AYCE sushi place.

Do you mean deep south i.e., by anderson? Or South west? For Southwest Momoyama is pretty good, and also check out Misato by Suntera all the way up 17th. I love the rolls they have at Misato. If you go, check out the special scallop roll and the spicy roll :drool:

Towa is also good for rolls. Towa is one of my favorites.

eglove
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Towa and Sushi Ichiban are my faves

colt22
07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Ok we went to kinjo.. owner was frikken hilarious, he was wielding a knife the whole night calling us pretty white boys LOL! so funny.. then some interesting written notes began to get passed around on the boats, definitely a good time..
sushi wasn't as bad at all- VOLCANO ROLLS!

Disoblige
07-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by jsn

If you're looking for quality sushi, Ichiban isn't all that great. Ichiban is decent for all you can eat, but their sushi definitely isnt quality sushi. If you want quality sushi, don't go for all you can eat, but if you just want to fill yourself out on sushi, then go for all you can eat. Sushi King on 16th is the best AYCE sushi place.

Do you mean deep south i.e., by anderson? Or South west? For Southwest Momoyama is pretty good, and also check out Misato by Suntera all the way up 17th. I love the rolls they have at Misato. If you go, check out the special scallop roll and the spicy roll :drool:

Towa is also good for rolls. Towa is one of my favorites.

Did Sushi King get a bit better or what? lol.. Because the first few months when they opened was terrible. Stomach was aching and got terrible gas problems from that ordeal. When was the last time you went and if you went multiple times, did you see improvements?

Not that I enjoy any AYCE in Calgary anymore, but I found the first serving from Ichiban more acceptable. Or, I used to go to Sumo on 10th, but they don't serve unagi.

But back on topic, too bad there isn't many places in the South. Kinjo is a decent experience and I'm sure they get pretty decent traffic and popularity there due to their location and lack of competition in the area. Never been to Ginza at Chinook though.

cdnsir
07-30-2010, 09:54 AM
I would rate...

1 - Momoyama (great quality, Korean chef)
2 - Kinjou (convenient and decent quality, Sushi sous-chefs are mainly Chinese)
Garbage - Ginza + Inchiban (no need to get into details, it's plain garbage)

nj2Type-S
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
i love kinjo :drool: :love:

chengj
07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Kinjo really? I've had been there a few times and it's gotten worse each time. Rice was undercooked, tuna was bordering on nasty. *shrug*

Last time was probably a year or two ago.

r3ccOs
07-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Only two places I frequent and depending what you concider south

both are good value for dollar, quality and I think authenticity

West Hills - Misato

Okotoks - Yokozuna (actual japanese owners for certain, who have very unique flavors and creative dishes)

SilverGS
07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Misato is pretty good but have raised prices considerably lately.

Have heard good things about momoyama going to have to try it sometime

Kinjo is alright. Owner is funny and likes to give out pocky to the girls.

TYMSMNY
07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Zipang in Bridgeland is good too.

Momoyama, Zipang = two best places imo.

leftwing
07-30-2010, 04:44 PM
I love kinjo, fairly priced and good selection. Ive never had a problem there, except the owner is annoying when he comes around all the time, but once he gets to know you, they will send free dishes your way... we usually get a free dish os tempura shrimp and tempura broccoli - 2 pc each.

Also, I loke sushi ginza in willow park mall, right by southcentre, but they are alot more expensive in comparison to kinjo. For the same amount of sushi (exact same rolls) we pay about 25 bucks more at ginza, but it is a more classy restaurant.--> they dont offer free refills on ice tea though at ginza, which really gets me as that is what i usually drink haha.

those are the only two places ive been.

monkeyman
07-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I loved the Sushi joint in Willow Park. Ginza?

colt22
07-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
I love kinjo, fairly priced and good selection. Ive never had a problem there, except the owner is annoying when he comes around all the time, but once he gets to know you, they will send free dishes your way... we usually get a free dish os tempura shrimp and tempura broccoli - 2 pc each.

Also, I loke sushi ginza in willow park mall, right by southcentre, but they are alot more expensive in comparison to kinjo. For the same amount of sushi (exact same rolls) we pay about 25 bucks more at ginza, but it is a more classy restaurant.--> they dont offer free refills on ice tea though at ginza, which really gets me as that is what i usually drink haha.

those are the only two places ive been.

Annoying? are you socially inept? The guy is hilarious, where else do you find an owner like that? Plus we got free food! it was sweeeeT!

Mazstyle
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Kinjo is awesome, I love the new setup with the sushi boats. You can be in and out in like 15 min. The owner is borderline obnoxious but still pretty damn funny.