PDA

View Full Version : Safeway FTL!!! (Avoid safeway gift cards!)

Thaco
07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Ugh, another reason i hate Safeway stores and will continue to do so... i send an email to the company regarding my experience with my gift card... here it is (no point in me re-typing it.)

Basically moral of the story is, dont buy or give Safeway gift cards as a gift. (they told me the no buying liquor was a ALCB law or something, but even so, they should fix the wording on their cards, very misleading)

I wanted to express my extreme displeasure with your store, and lack of advertising policies when it pertains to gift cards. I went to one of your stores a few days ago because i had some change that i wanted to use your coin counter service, which i think is a GREAT service, however, when i put in my change, was greeted with a nice slip saying i was entitled to a gift card valued at $98.70, so i went to the customer service and got my gift card and gladly left the store.

Which brings me to today, I started by reading the terms on the back of the gift card "card is redeemable at any Safeway companies stores in us and Canada" great, i thought, and proceeded to a store with a liquor store attached to it, grabbed my merchandise, rang it through, only to be told my card was no good there... "WHAT!?!" i thought? "ANY SAFEWAY COMPANIES" how is this NOT a Safeway companies store? at which time i was told by the cashier, it's not good at the liquor store, as well he rambled off various other places, tobacco, gas bar, etc....

REALLY? how is this gift card "as good as cash" and redeemable at "any Safeway companies stores" even useful? so then i was angry, but i thought OK, I'll just go in to the store, and buy a liquor store gift card with this one, only to have the cashier tell me i can not buy a gift card with a gift card??!?!?? i have done this many times at other retailers... to me this policy is just baffling... gift cards as GOOD AS CASH? apparently not!

I do not shop at Safeway on a regular basis, and this experience just reaffirms my displeasure and dislike of this chain of stores.

You either need to fix your policies, or at least make people aware of what they're getting themselves into before dealing with your stores.

wardpr68
07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Are you a retard? Its pretty common policy that gift cards are no good for liquor store, tobacco purchases, or gas bar.....

wow... I remember my first gift card.

wardpr68
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
I apologize, that was a bit much.

But seriously... you didn't know that you can't use giftcards at liquor stores?!?!?

Kloubek
07-29-2010, 09:50 PM
So what? Do you never buy food?

Thaco
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68
I apologize, that was a bit much.

But seriously... you didn't know that you can't use giftcards at liquor stores?!?!? I didn't know that, and i wouldn't have a problem with it, however there is no documentation or information printed on the card to suggest that. I have used gift cards at superstore liquor store before, albeit that was a long time ago.

I'm not complaining about the policy, i am complaining about the lack of policy, the only way to find out is to waste your money on a gift card, it's not documented anywhere.

Thaco
07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So what? Do you never buy food? not from 20% more expensive Safeway.

I'd have been better off to take the 15% hit on the coin counter, grab the cash, and go down the street to Sobeys.

ClearBluewater
07-29-2010, 09:55 PM
who the fuck gifts safeway gift cards

slinkie
07-29-2010, 10:08 PM
joke topic

403Gemini
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
not from 20% more expensive Safeway.

I'd have been better off to take the 15% hit on the coin counter, grab the cash, and go down the street to Sobeys.

Safeway is cheaper than co-op and sobeys, and I refuse to use superstore because its a shit show in the parking lots.

Also its a pretty standard policy that gift cards from grocery stores can't be used at the liquor stores - same goes with sobeys, co-op, superstore, etc. so I don't know why your ginch is so tight man... :dunno:

[Yu]
07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Safeway is cheaper than co-op and sobeys, and I refuse to use superstore because its a shit show in the parking lots.

Also its a pretty standard policy that gift cards from grocery stores can't be used at the liquor stores - same goes with sobeys, co-op, superstore, etc. so I don't know why your ginch is so tight man... :dunno:

As previously mentioned... superstore accepted giftcards, so its fair to assume safeway would...

403Gemini
07-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]

As previously mentioned... superstore accepted giftcards, so its fair to assume safeway would...

As previously mentioned, that was "a long time ago" , since then, they do not (least not as of about a month ago).

nrt_vw
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
yeah, liquor stores don't accept gift cards for safeway, sobeys, co-op. pretty basic. You can get a superstore liquor store gift card but it is one you actually buy at the liquor store specifically for the liquor store.

JimmyJones
07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by wardpr68
Are you a retard? Its pretty common policy that gift cards are no good for liquor store, tobacco purchases, or gas bar.....

wow... I remember my first gift card.

cool it champ, lets de-escalate this situation before you get all oiled up and do something you might regret.

dandia89
07-30-2010, 12:16 AM
it may be common knowledge to most of you, but it still doesn't make sense why they didn't mention how the gift cards cant work at liquor stores.

CUG
07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Maybe try it with the hookers on the corner near the one downtown?

BlackArcher101
07-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Do you normally e-mail formal complaints to a company in the same style you use in a forum post?

Your complaint probably won't get very far, if anywhere, with the way you worded it.

PulsePro
07-30-2010, 02:15 AM
why stop there? demand you want an exchange of the gift card for cash or a liquor store gift card? explain that it doesn't state anywhere on the card that it wasn't permitted at a liquor store. say you are a lawyer and that they have a lawsuit on their asses lol idk just a suggestion :dunno: :dunno:

Disoblige
07-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by PulsePro
why stop there? demand you want an exchange of the gift card for cash or a liquor store gift card? explain that it doesn't state anywhere on the card that it wasn't permitted at a liquor store. say you are a lawyer and that they have a lawsuit on their asses lol idk just a suggestion :dunno: :dunno:

I would agree that I would have wanted a refund or perhaps an exchange of some sort but I definitely wouldn't pretend to say I'm a lawyer or what not.

Had a stupid bitch come in to my store one day and try to scam the crap out of me thinking I'm an idiot. Then when I told her to get the fuck out (because I knew she was a scamming whore), she called back later saying she is going to sue me because she "is a lawyer" and thought I was extremely rude to her. I just said, "Go ahead", and never heard from her again.

So yeah, saying that kind of stuff just makes that person look extremely retarded, even if the person is right or not.

PulsePro
07-30-2010, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I would agree that I would have wanted a refund or perhaps an exchange of some sort but I definitely wouldn't pretend to say I'm a lawyer or what not.

Had a stupid bitch come in to my store one day and try to scam the crap out of me thinking I'm an idiot. Then when I told her to get the fuck out (because I knew she was a scamming whore), she called back later saying she is going to sue me because she "is a lawyer" and thought I was extremely rude to her. I just said, "Go ahead", and never heard from her again.

So yeah, saying that kind of stuff just makes that person look extremely retarded, even if the person is right or not.

I wasn't serious. Hence the lol idk part. Sorry I think it was my fault for your misunderstanding. 99% of people know that it's bs. Why would a lawyer sue a company for $100 worth? :facepalm:

ianmcc
07-30-2010, 05:59 AM
It's not Safeway (or the other stores) prohibiting gift cards in liquor stores, it's Alberta Gaming and Liquor control regulations.

ClearBluewater
07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Op, If you have time for this, you must hate your life so much.

monkeyman
07-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Safeway has always been shit.

Type_S1
07-30-2010, 07:47 AM
OP you are a complete idiot. I won't even try to be nice. If you didn't know this come out from under your rock one and awhile

wardpr68
07-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by JimmyJones

cool it champ, lets de-escalate this situation before you get all oiled up and do something you might regret.

I know you probablly got a full blown erection when you saw the chance to jump on me... but if you look one post down, you will find out I apologized.

Solid effort though ;)

5hift
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
So let me see if I get this...

So you are not a customer of Safeway and only go there for a free change service they provide.

You get a gift card for nearly $100, which you promptly go to try to buy alcohol with.

When denied instead of being happy with $100 of free groceries, you take the time to try again at a different cashier, and then when denied again, write a letter to Safeway complaining that you are not a customer, got a free gift card, but hate their policies because you couldn't get a couple of free bottles.

They are probably using that letter as a joke to open corporate meetings with now.

Thaco
07-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

there have been tons of comparisons done in the past by various companies (mostly media) and safeway has always been the most expensive.

Originally posted by dandia89
it may be common knowledge to most of you, but it still doesn't make sense why they didn't mention how the gift cards cant work at liquor stores.

exactly, i am not complaining that they did this, i am complaining that they did not have any documentation or anything, and the card says i can use it at ANY safeway store, if it said "excludes liquor, gas and tobacco" then fine, i'd have left it at that.

Originally posted by ianmcc
It's not Safeway (or the other stores) prohibiting gift cards in liquor stores, it's Alberta Gaming and Liquor control regulations.

i am (now) aware of that, and have stated it in my OP.

Originally posted by ClearBluewater
Op, If you have time for this, you must hate your life so much.

i do.

Originally posted by Type_S1
OP you are a complete idiot. I won't even try to be nice. If you didn't know this come out from under your rock one and awhile

sorry for not being a ghetto bitch who buys all his liquor on gift cards.

Originally posted by 5hift
So let me see if I get this...

So you are not a customer of Safeway and only go there for a free change service they provide.

You get a gift card for nearly $100, which you promptly go to try to buy alcohol with.

When denied instead of being happy with $100 of free groceries, you take the time to try again at a different cashier, and then when denied again, write a letter to Safeway complaining that you are not a customer, got a free gift card, but hate their policies because you couldn't get a couple of free bottles.

They are probably using that letter as a joke to open corporate meetings with now.

how is it free groceries? my change is worthless? regardless of whether it was a $100 bill or a bucket of change, it's money, not free.

so, once again, for those who cant read, i am NOT COMPLAINING THAT I CANT USE THE GIFT CARD IN THE LIQUOR STORE.

i am complaining that they have all of these policies, of which none are actually documented for public use.

5hift
07-30-2010, 11:34 AM

how is it free groceries? my change is worthless? regardless of whether it was a $100 bill or a bucket of change, it's money, not free.

so, once again, for those who cant read, i am NOT COMPLAINING THAT I CANT USE THE GIFT CARD IN THE LIQUOR STORE.

i am complaining that they have all of these policies, of which none are actually documented for public use.

I quickly read through you`re initial post and thought you had somehow `won` the gift card for using the machine (not that it was the credit for the change), because the thought of not only collecting, but pumping 98+ bucks worth of change into a machine didn't seem like something someone over 12 would do.

And who are you kidding, if you had been able to use the gift-card towards liquor you would not have created this thread. This is entirely about the liquor store.

colt22
07-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Op.. god your a loser, I know the exact type of person you are, the same guy who holds up a line at the gas station filling out those foolish scratch n wins.

wardpr68
07-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I can understand where he is coming from.... it should say on the card

"not valid for liquor, tobacco, or gas bar purchases"

when I worked at coop that was clearly labeled on our gift certificates.

canadiandaytona
07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
where are these change counters?

Im all in. I love safeway

sexualbanana
07-30-2010, 12:47 PM
I wanted to express my extreme displeasure with your store, and lack of advertising policies when it pertains to gift cards. I went to one of your stores a few days ago because i had some change that i wanted to use your coin counter service, which i think is a GREAT service, however, when i put in my change, was greeted with a nice slip saying i was entitled to a gift card valued at $98.70, so i went to the customer service and got my gift card and gladly left the store.

Which brings me to today, I started by reading the terms on the back of the gift card "card is redeemable at any Safeway companies stores in us and Canada" great, i thought, and proceeded to a store with a liquor store attached to it, grabbed my merchandise, rang it through, only to be told my card was no good there... "WHAT!?!" i thought? "ANY SAFEWAY COMPANIES" how is this NOT a Safeway companies store? at which time i was told by the cashier, it's not good at the liquor store, as well he rambled off various other places, tobacco, gas bar, etc....

REALLY? how is this gift card "as good as cash" and redeemable at "any Safeway companies stores" even useful? so then i was angry, but i thought OK, I'll just go in to the store, and buy a liquor store gift card with this one, only to have the cashier tell me i can not buy a gift card with a gift card??!?!?? i have done this many times at other retailers... to me this policy is just baffling... gift cards as GOOD AS CASH? apparently not!

I do not shop at Safeway on a regular basis, and this experience just reaffirms my displeasure and dislike of this chain of stores.

You either need to fix your policies, or at least make people aware of what they're getting themselves into before dealing with your stores.

I don't think anyone is going to take you seriously with your thoughts in quotations, and your apparent ADHD with capitalization. Just a thought.

But anyways, if it's not properly worded, then I agree that it's a big piss off, and not everyone is aware that gift cards are not redeemable at liquor stores. I certainly didn't. I don't know what kind of recourse youcan expect to get from Safeway, but it'd be interesting to see what happens.

2Valve0
07-30-2010, 08:40 PM

sorry for not being a ghetto bitch who buys all his liquor on gift cards.

Your the only one in here that look's like a ghetto bitch complaining you cannot by liqour with a giftcard. It's common sense if you are not 12 to know that. How about....buy some food for yourself and pay for your liqour with cash!?!?! THERE'S AN IDEA WAHOOO PROBLEM SOLVED.

:closed: to the stupid thread to begin with

canadiandaytona
07-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Which Safeway has a coin counter?

SKR
07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't get the OP's outrage. If I had to write a letter every time something didn't go the way I thought it would I'd be writing a lot of fucking letters.

What you should have done is instead of bursting into tears over nothing, you should have just went and bought $100 worth of Pizza Pops. They're delicious and you'll go through them in no time.

Benny
07-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Haha I remember a few years back everyone at my work got $100 gift cards to Safeway as a Christmas present. First day back at work every single person was bitching that they couldn't use it at the liquor store.

Ahh the trades haha :thumbsup:

monkeyman
07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SKR
I don't get the OP's outrage. If I had to write a letter every time something didn't go the way I thought it would I'd be writing a lot of fucking letters.

What you should have done is instead of bursting into tears over nothing, you should have just went and bought $100 worth of Pizza Pops. They're delicious and you'll go through them in no time.

You small town folk are alright. Calgary is full of sissies, eh.

cancer man
08-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Which Safeway has a change counter?

Mys73ri0
08-01-2010, 04:54 PM
There are 7 locations in Safeway in Calgary. The locations are
813 11th ave SW Calgary
1818 Center Street N Calgary
3636 Morley Trail NW Calgary
1200 37th Street SW Calgary
200 Stewart Green SW Calgary
55 Castleridge Blvd NE Calgary
99 36th Street NE Calgary

you only get full value if you take safeway gift card. Otherwise its a 15% fee.

HuMz
08-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
There are 7 locations in Safeway in Calgary. The locations are
813 11th ave SW Calgary
1818 Center Street N Calgary
3636 Morley Trail NW Calgary
1200 37th Street SW Calgary
200 Stewart Green SW Calgary
55 Castleridge Blvd NE Calgary
99 36th Street NE Calgary

you only get full value if you take safeway gift card. Otherwise its a 15% fee.

Pretty sure the one in shawnessy has one as well.