PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 Skid Plate falling off

freshprince1
07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, my '04 Mazda 3's skid plate is falling off. Several of the bolts are missing and the one of the rear brackets rubs on the ground if I hit a bump. I am thinking of just taking it off. Would there be any complications if I take it off and leave it off? I can't see any major problems, since it's just a peice of plastic anyways?

I'm going to continue to look into it until about noon today when I'll proabbly head into a shop to take it off since the car is too low for me to get under it.

Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Or if there's anyone in the Okotoks area willing to lend me some wheel ramps then I could just take it off:thumbsup:

Super_Geo
07-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I recently took mine off cause it was doing the same thing (came loose, dragging)... the only issue I can see is that it would expose some internals to water if you were to drive it in the rain, which might encourage rusting.

I just jacked the car up one side at a time and took out some screws. It was pretty easy to take off.

I think I'll get it put back on when I get a new front bumper.

freshprince1
07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I recently took mine off cause it was doing the same thing (came loose, dragging)... the only issue I can see is that it would expose some internals to water if you were to drive it in the rain, which might encourage rusting.

I just jacked the car up one side at a time and took out some screws. It was pretty easy to take off.

I think I'll get it put back on when I get a new front bumper.

You should sell me yours for a really good price. :thumbsup:

Edit: Nevermind then. :)

Super_Geo
07-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Sorry forgot to mention, different car. I have a 325i, and the skidplate was in tatters and missing a pretty big chunk :rofl:

cloud7
07-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't call that piece of plastic a 'skid plate'... it helps aero slightly, but no big deal if you remove it.

derran.m
07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I may be able to consult my in-laws, they have a hoist in their shop, just over by the Auction Mart/Race Track in Aldersyde ... if you're interested let me know and I'll chat to them and see if we can help ya pull it off

Super_Geo
07-30-2010, 10:13 AM
If you live somewhere where they salt the roads on a regular basis, they have a large protective benefit.
If you live in Southern California, not so much.

Are you somewhere where the roads are often covered in loose gravel or rocks (from repaving or otherwise)? Better to have the cheap plastic taking those shots than the expensive oil pan.

Also, they do (to a small degree) aid with aerodynamics, so you may notice a .25 mpg drop with them gone.

Had something similar on my 2001 Passat wagon. Talked to a mechanic who has worked exclusively on VW's for years, and he told me to throw it away. He said the shield was supposed to aid in diverting air around engine for cooling purpose but in his experience had no effect on engine temperature and performance, and that removing the shield would actually improve my gas mileage by a couple of mpg. He was exactly right - no effect on temperature, and mileage improved immediately from 28 to 30 mpg.

http://ask.metafilter.com/47071/do-plastic-skidplates-on-cars-actually-do-anything

This guy has a point actually... removing the skidplate could increase the pressure behind the radiator, which would reduce airflow and cooling.

The underbody shields often are an important part of the airflow through the engine, in particular, through the radiator of the engine. If losing them means a higher pressure area forms behind the radiator, you lose cooling, which can be a real problem. It may not affect you, but it might. If you have a real temp gauge, and you've been watching it, you can see the difference, if there is one.

Overheating is the single most common reason engines fail.

revelations
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by cloud7
I wouldn't call that piece of plastic a 'skid plate'... it helps aero slightly, but no big deal if you remove it.

:werd:

Its a plastic underbody fairing, or plastic tray.

HHURICANE1
07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
It's called a belly pan and it help aerodynamics and also helps keep gravel,water and other trash from getting into your pulleys. It should not be removed.

freshprince1
07-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys. Kramer Mazda said it would be about $250 to replace (Parts and Labour). I think I might buy the parts and replace it myself.

EDIT: found this on the Mazda 3 Forums:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=175029.0

I think I'll order the cheap one online and replace it myself when I have the time.

Awd-Tsi
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
How can you notice a .25 mpg drop? That's like the difference between a wot pull

-TOFU-
07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Had the same thing happened to me and I just took it off (well it ripped off) because my car was too low for the speed bumps at MRC, dont know if it would make a difference on your car because my car was lowered, your engine bay gets filthy after the winter and its a pain to clean come spring time. :(