PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my stupid fucking dog!

adam c
08-01-2010, 10:17 AM
So as some of you know I adopted a 6 year old dog a month ago, well now I'm seeing why this dog was given up for adoption

This dumb dog pees and poops everywhere in the house no matter what i do!! The last straw is him peeing on our bed, when he did this I have no idea since he sleeps in his kennel at night time and only has access to the living room and outside during the day....

I will take him outside so he can do his business and not even 5 minutes later he's sniffing around the house looking for somewhere to pee or mark his territory, I've fucking had it, I've gone through so many rolls of paper towel cleaning up after this little shit and not to mention he's scratched my daughter a few times one of which will leave a scar in the middle of her chest

Shlade
08-01-2010, 10:20 AM
What kind of Dog is it?

adam c
08-01-2010, 10:24 AM
The adoption agency didn't know fully but they thought it was a Chihuahua Terrier mix

sr20s14zenki
08-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Spray him with water and say NO when he does it. You gotta catch him. Also, when you do clean up after him, use pheramone removing stuff, that way he doesnt want to go there again due to it being his "territory". Was his scratching your daughter accidental or on purpose do you think?

When dogs are still juvenile, they are a PAIN in the ass. Its all about instilling the right boundaries.

my dog is 11, we adopted him when he was 9 or 10. He had a thing with peeing on the curtain, and the corner of our bed. We caught him finally, and said NO, and cleaned it up with pheramone remover, and so far he hasnt done it in forever. He really pisses me off with one thing, in the winter, he eats snow, then comes in the house, and barfs up a bunch of water. In the summer, he eats grass or SHIT and then comes inside and barfs that up. Hes worse now that we have a baby and dont have as much time for him. Just need to persevere. I will NEVER have another dog, they are just not for me.

Shlade
08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
At 6 years old the dog should know better. Its probably not its fault, I blame the old owner.

If you continue having issues with him and plan on getting rid of him without the possible thought of it going threw ur head to put the dog down,

A) Give him up for adoption or toss him on kijiji (simple solution just say daughter started getting allergies)
B) Call a few animal shelters and see if theyll take him.

Sounds like a Farm dog to me also tho. Could maybe be that hes not used to indoor spaces and not having as much freedom?

Its never too late to teach an old dog new tricks! Try a few different methods with him and try throwing in a reward like a milk bone or something when he listens or some sort of punishment if he tries to pee or poop in the house (some people might find it mean but a good hit on his ass will set him in place)

adam c
08-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Spray him with water and say NO when he does it. You gotta catch him. Also, when you do clean up after him, use pheramone removing stuff, that way he doesnt want to go there again due to it being his "territory". Was his scratching your daughter accidental or on purpose do you think?

When dogs are still juvenile, they are a PAIN in the ass. Its all about instilling the right boundaries.

I wanted to use the pheromon/anti pee stuff but i can't since it's not safe around children unless there's another brand out there that i haven't seen?
And i have sprayed him with water, lemon juice, sprayed his pee spots with lemon juice, sprayed around the house so he stops sniffing

as for the scratching, me or my gf will be playing with our daughter then we will get excited and start jumping on her

Originally posted by Shlade
At 6 years old the dog should know better. Its probably not its fault, I blame the old owner.

If you continue having issues with him and plan on getting rid of him without the possible thought of it going threw ur head to put the dog down,

A) Give him up for adoption or toss him on kijiji (simple solution just say daughter started getting allergies)
B) Call a few animal shelters and see if theyll take him.

Sounds like a Farm dog to me also tho. Could maybe be that hes not used to indoor spaces and not having as much freedom?

Its never too late to teach an old dog new tricks! Try a few different methods with him and try throwing in a reward like a milk bone or something when he listens or some sort of punishment if he tries to pee or poop in the house (some people might find it mean but a good hit on his ass will set him in place)

He was definitely an indoor dog, if I leave him outside he whines, barks and howls until I let him inside again and i think his last owner beat him since if i catch him trying to pee or poop and go to discipline him he barks, whines and runs away. tried the milk bone stuff as well

any other ideas?

G-Suede
08-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Due Diligence? Trial Period? Perseverance? Formal Training?

/fail

Shlade
08-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Get em while their young..

Never had an issue with my pup.. Shes almost 3 now I think and shes very well behaved, you tell her no shell listen. I ask her anything she will listen to me or my parents.

She is a bischon shitsu tho... Small little pup and a lot easier to maintain than a big dog!

sr20s14zenki
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by adam c

I wanted to use the pheromon/anti pee stuff but i can't since it's not safe around children unless there's another brand out there that i haven't seen?
And i have sprayed him with water, lemon juice, sprayed his pee spots with lemon juice, sprayed around the house so he stops sniffing

as for the scratching, me or my gf will be playing with our daughter then we will get excited and start jumping on her

instead of lemon juice, use diluted or pure vinegar for cleaning the spots, and oxy clean powder.

as for the jumping, you just need to teach him its not appropriate, dont forget, hes still a puppy, and thus hes a baby, and needs to learn.

http://www.zootoo.com/cats_cleanup/getseriouspetstainodorandphero

masoncgy
08-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I will NEVER have another dog, they are just not for me.

...or cats for that matter. I've spent the last 7 years cleaning up so much piss, crap & puke that no amount of 'good' will ever change my mind on pets. They are a major pain in the ass, especially when you're busy tearing out nearly brand new carpet because it's ruined by cat piss, etc.

OP... you picked up someone else's problem in adopting that dog. It's why it was given up in the first place. Sometimes you just can't change this behaviour, no matter what you do.

If I were you, I'd just get rid of it.

as for the jumping, you just need to teach him its not appropriate, dont forget, hes still a puppy, and thus hes a baby, and needs to learn.

The dog is 6 years old... waaay past the point of being a puppy.

sr20s14zenki
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

...or cats for that matter. I've spent the last 7 years cleaning up so much piss, crap & puke that no amount of 'good' will ever change my mind on pets. They are a major pain in the ass, especially when you're busy tearing out nearly brand new carpet because it's ruined by cat piss, etc.

OP... you picked up someone else's problem in adopting that dog. It's why it was given up in the first place. Sometimes you just can't change this behaviour, no matter what you do.

If I were you, I'd just get rid of it.

i have 3 cats, they dont pee or mess around the house, and are the best pets IMO. I think its what kind of person you are, some people are dog people, some are cat people,and some shouldnt have pets period. All of my cats are awesome, and very amusing.

masoncgy
08-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Don't get me wrong, I DO like animals, but I don't think I'll ever own another pet once ours have passed on. At one point, we had two dogs & three cats in the house... and it was total madness.

Even with just one dog and one cat today, it's still too much for me. Although I'm fortunate that we don't have the pissing cat around any longer, my cat still craps on the floor... even when his litter box is fresh.

My dog chews on grass & pukes... chews up something & pukes... fffffuuuuuuuuuu.........

Never again. Nice animals, but never again.

adam c
08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I've never had any problems with cats in all my life, the only time they would pee or poo on the carpet is cause i neglected changing their liter box and it got way to full

I'll try the vinegar next, anyone know if the city of calgary does refunds on adopted animals?

sr20s14zenki
08-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Don't get me wrong, I DO like animals, but I don't think I'll ever own another pet once ours have passed on. At one point, we had two dogs & three cats in the house... and it was total madness.

Even with just one dog and one cat today, it's still too much for me. Although I'm fortunate that we don't have the pissing cat around any longer, my cat still craps on the floor... even when his litter box is fresh.

My dog chews on grass & pukes... chews up something & pukes... fffffuuuuuuuuuu.........

Never again. Nice animals, but never again.

take the crap that hes done on the floor, and put it in the litter box. Is it once in awhile that he does it, like, he knows where the litter box is and uses it most times? If thats the case do what i said, and if he DOESNT frequent the litter box, put him in there beside his shit, believe it or not, they can connect 1+1

masoncgy
08-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh no, he'll shit in the litter box like he's supposed to... but then he'll shit on the floor too... no rhyme or reason to it... the litter box is scooped twice a day... we've tried everything... he's just retarded or something.

sr20s14zenki
08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh no, he'll shit in the litter box like he's supposed to... but then he'll shit on the floor too... no rhyme or reason to it... the litter box is scooped twice a day... we've tried everything... he's just retarded or something.

Like i say, try taking that poop and put it in his litter box. I know it seems silly, but ive done it a few times with my cats and it does work. They see it in there, and smell it, and they know where they did it, and connect the two. he could be really dumb tho, i dont know :D

speedog
08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Only enzyme based cleaners will truly get rid of the underlying urine/feces smells that you can not see or smell, but that a dog or cat can. Some of the better enzyme based brands include Urine-Off, Nature's Miracle and Earth Fiendly Products - all of which are safe to use around children.

And as a side note, turn off the lights in the affected area and use a UV black light to scan the area ( a flourescent tube type is better because it covers a larger area) - any soiled areas will glow a light yellow color that will be invisible to you in the light. Use any of the above noted enzyme cleaners as directed and the UV black light will show nothing afterwards.

As to the original problem of the dog peeing where you don't want it to - that could be a training problem or a medical problem or a psychological problem. The first two are usually quite easy to resolve with some time, money and patience, but psychologica disorders usually are not able to be resolved.

PM me for more info on the cleaners if you wish and for the name of a good trainer and/or veterinarians if need be.

adam c
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Only enzyme based cleaners will truly get rid of the underlying urine/feces smells that you can not see or smell, but that a dog or cat can. Some of the better enzyme based brands include Urine-Off, Nature's Miracle and Earth Fiendly Products - all of which are safe to use around children.

And as a side note, turn off the lights in the affected area and use a UV black light to scan the area ( a flourescent tube type is better because it covers a larger area) - any soiled areas will glow a light yellow color that will be invisible to you in the light. Use any of the above noted enzyme cleaners as directed and the UV black light will show nothing afterwards.

As to the original problem of the dog peeing where you don't want it to - that could be a training problem or a medical problem or a psychological problem. The first two are usually quite easy to resolve with some time, money and patience, but psychologica disorders usually are not able to be resolved.

PM me for more info on the cleaners if you wish and for the name of a good trainer and/or veterinarians if need be.

yea when we took him to the vet after we got him, one of the first things he said was that this dog has behavioral problems... great...

and going to pm you

adam c
08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
here's my solution for right now

Unknown303
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
:rofl: :rofl:
Dog diaper. Nice.

Here's my solution.
http://evergreen-rentals.com/images/shovel.jpg

tobypaddock
08-01-2010, 11:55 AM
^^^although animal cruelty jokes are always utterly hilarious, like many others have said, there are other ways, you just need patience, knowledge and cash.
have u thought of getting a doggy door?
do you free-feed the dog, or does he/she have a specific dinner time?

510-Trevor
08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.cooldogtoys.com/remotetrainer.php

You could try a remote collar. The one listed above uses citronella spray. This will allow you to discipline the dog without the dog associating you with getting in trouble.

As others have said, it will take time. Spend time watching/following the dog around and spray the bad behaviour, give treats and affection for desirable behaviour.

5hift
08-01-2010, 02:44 PM
This can be easily corrected

Puppy doesn't need unlimited access to water as seen in pic.

Make a routine: water, food, outside. Take food and water away and then do the routine in a few hours.

Also why does the puppy have access to all over the house if it hasn't proven itself to be housebroken.

In regards to the problems with your daughter, that is clearly the dog not respecting you or its position in the family. The minute it jumps up next time your gf and kid a playing, push her down firmly saying no.

You seem like a nice guy, but you are clearly doing a lot of things wrong, and then blaming a 6 month old dog which is essentially a baby still.

Gurpy
08-01-2010, 03:04 PM
^ 6 YEAR old dog...not a pup anymore. The old owner's the one to blame.

5hift
08-01-2010, 03:08 PM
yeah I just re-red I guess I got 6 years and 1 month ago mixed up.

Same rules about access to food and water, and access to the house being a privilege apply.

Regardless of how old a dog is, especially with a smaller one, its easy to fix things like jumping up. You have to exert yourself as the leader.

adam c
08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
thanks for the tips

to answer a few questions
he has free access to the outside, can go in and out as he pleases, he does not have free access to the house though, he is confined to outside and the living room unless feeing/bed time. there are times where he gets around the barricade though.

as for feeding and water, it's kept in the kitchen and he's only allowed in there at certain times so although we do keep it stocked he doesn't have full access to it whenever he wants

I'll try giving him more praise, he already gets a shit storm when he does something wrong though so not much else i can do there to discipline that, i'm also getting a spray collar from my bosses wife since they have a huge dog and moved over to a shock collar for their huge property, for now he will stay in his diaper until we go outside again

monkeyman
08-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Try and bell train it for potty time. Don't give it up because you are inconvenienced.

punky
08-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I'll take a crack at this. I've had dogs like your and i totally understand your frustration.

You might have more problem than just potty training. It is totally possible to fix your dog's behavior, but i'll require lots and lots of time.

Here is what i would do if i were you, first you need to start to establish to your dog that you are the dominant male, this is kinda strange at first, but your dog is much more obedient when he/she understand that you're the alpha. Watch a few episode of At the end of my leash (Slice channel's show) where Brad Pattison does this weird thing with the leash walking the dog back and forth. This is my first discovery that led to a lot of success afterwards for my dog. Another thing to do is only feed your dog after you eat and do not feed them while you're eating or before you eat. This is what dogs do in the wild, the alpha male/female eats first. I always feed my dog after i finish eating breakfast and dinner.

Second, nuder him! I know its a bit late but it'll still reduce his needs for marking his territory. (My dog was 2 year old when he was nudered, and his needs for dominant significantly dropped.)

Third, scheduled feeding and water time. I give our dog food and water twice a day, and exactly the same time everyday (8:30 and 6:00 for me). If you stick to a feeding schedule, within a few weeks his potty habit will become very predictable so take notes when he normally poo/pee everyday.

Fourth, reduce his roaming space! This will reduce the area where he can make messes! I started with my dog with a 6'x6' area near our kitchen. For the first few months that is his primary resident and potty area (my dog is paper trained). This gets pretty boring for the dog being a small area everyday, but i solved this by walking him twice a day for at least 30mins/walk. I also have a lot of toy and chewing stuff for him ( 1 give him 1 piece of rawhide a day because he loves to chew on it). We let him out to the kitchen and blocking him to the rest of the house about 10mins/day at times where we noticed he's least likely to poo/pee, and we watch him very closely to make sure hes behaving, if he misbehave he'll get a "BAD DOG" and immediately put back to his area. Slowly we increased this time to longer and longer. Our dogs no longer marks and he knows that the kitchen and the living room is the only area he is allowed to go to, and basement and upstairs is off limit. We know he wont mark even if he goes upstairs and basement, but we rather our dog live in main living space instead.

There are a few other things you should look out for: a misbehaving dog should not be sleeping or allowed with you guys in the bedroom, this only gives him more time/space to develop his bad habit. Keep your dog happy, by walking them, compliment and treat when they are well behaved. Unhappy dog almost always misbehave. Any time you spend in training your dog ie. obedient training will pay off in the long run.

As you can see its a lot of work, but every dog requires a lot of work and i wish people understand this before they go pickup a dog.

Kardon
08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
My dad trained our last dog within about 1 weeks time. Dog stopped shitting in the house-ever. When the dog shits on the floor, you bring the dog to the incident, put the shit in the dogs mouth, hold it shut(important), show them the way to the yard and let them cough up the shit outside. 1 week or less.

adam c
08-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by punky
...snip...

thats the best info so far thanks, i didn't realize about not sleeping in the same bedroom as us even though he's on the floor in his kennel... but my question is, i tried putting him in a small area but he just whines and barks until we take him out.. just live with it or do you have a solution to this?

Unknown303
08-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I wonder if pissing in his bed will teach him a lesson. :rofl:
If the wife walked in on that you could be in trouble however.

adam c
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I wonder if pissing in his bed will teach him a lesson. :rofl:
If the wife walked in on that you could be in trouble however.

lol i don't think she would care, she's had it with him too but she said he's part of the family now, kinda like a retarded cousin. plus he's peed in his own bed before too so i don't think he cares

FreakinPrince
08-01-2010, 03:52 PM
^^^^ that is completly unfair and rude!!! never do that

I got a 7month Rotti x Boxer and she was having peeing problem as well

I pretty much did the same thing what punky has descirbe

1) Blocked her only to allow her to be on main floor (she never peed in the living room only on second floor)

2) allow her outside to do her business at least 4-6 times a day (my gf is home so she is able to let the dog go out since now she will stand near the door and we let her out)

3) I walk the dog twice a day

4) play time with the dog and involved kids as they need to know that we all are in the same pack and play nicely (provide lots of chew toys

my dog does eat grass once in a while but not much as we keep making sure she gets her walk and play time.

it take times and patience.... follow through is important.

monkeyman
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
My dad trained our last dog within about 1 weeks time. Dog stopped shitting in the house-ever. When the dog shits on the floor, you bring the dog to the incident, put the shit in the dogs mouth, hold it shut(important), show them the way to the yard and let them cough up the shit outside. 1 week or less.

That is probably the worst advice here.

JAYMEZ
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
This can be easily corrected

Puppy doesn't need unlimited access to water as seen in pic.

Make a routine: water, food, outside. Take food and water away and then do the routine in a few hours.

Also why does the puppy have access to all over the house if it hasn't proven itself to be housebroken.

In regards to the problems with your daughter, that is clearly the dog not respecting you or its position in the family. The minute it jumps up next time your gf and kid a playing, push her down firmly saying no.

You seem like a nice guy, but you are clearly doing a lot of things wrong, and then blaming a 6 month old dog which is essentially a baby still.

This by far. To much access.. You need to control when he drinks and eats.. then you can time when they need to go out.. Once they get used to the routine , youlll be fine.

Should never EVER own a dog. Thats retarded. I actually think if the SPCA found that out , youd lose your dog.

And the rules with my dogs... Something goes in..something comes out.

codetrap
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

This by far. To much access.. You need to control when he drinks and eats.. then you can time when they need to go out.. Once they get used to the routine , youlll be fine.

Should never EVER own a dog. Thats retarded. I actually think if the SPCA found that out , youd lose your dog.

And the rules with my dogs... Something goes in..something comes out.

Agreed. With a dog, if you find dogshit or dogpee on the floor after the fact, you should take that rolled up newspaper and start beating yourself in the forehead and say "I shoulda been watching my dog, I shoulda been watching my dog".

The ONLY time you can really scold them is when you catch them in the act! They may cringe and cower when you find it 2 hours later, but they only know that "ruh rooh, hooman angry" with no idea why.

Also, I call bullshit on this. There's no way I can see that working at all. How's the dog going to understand the point? All he knows is you've jammed shit in his mouth (which he might choose to eat if he's so inclined) and holding his mouth shut on it. Is that how your mom potty trained you? Jammed a dirty diaper in your mouth and dragged you to the bathroom and let you spit it out into the toilet? Does that make sense to you?

4bier
08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
i ve heard of baggin it and putting around there collar and makem wear it all day

monkeyman
08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by 4bier
i ve heard of baggin it and putting around there collar and makem wear it all day

not sure if you are kidding, but that is abuse right there.

google bell training. my guy hasn't gone in the house in 2 months and he is 7months.

4bier
08-02-2010, 09:13 AM
The adoption agency didn't know fully but they thought it was a Chihuahua Terrier mix man do some research on breeds b4 you get 1 Chihuahua are very difficult to housebreak and depending on what terrier breed most are stubborn sounds like a lose lose:dunno:

4bier
08-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by monkeyman

not sure if you are kidding, but that is abuse right there.

google bell training. my guy hasn't gone in the house in 2 months and he is 7months. no im dead serious most people would just grab the dogs face and shove it in whatever they did baggin it and making them wear doesnt sound like abuse compared to what most people do

slinkie
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
do the bell training

bignerd
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Did anyone mention the umbilicle training? Keep a leash on the dog and have it tied around your waist while you are home all the time-the dog goes everywhere with you while in the house.

If it shits or pees while attached to you, you should be able to correct immeadiatley and place the dog outside asap(however do not continue to yell at it outside).

If the dog is clean, then take it outside, if it goes outside you have to have what I call a "potty party" with treats and happy words etc.. (keep the treats in your pocket so you can reward right away). If the dog doesn't go, take in back inside and it goes back on the leash around your waist. Try to go outside again in 20 mins, half an hour etc....

If the dog cannot be tethered to you than it is outside or crated.
How big is its crate and what kind of bedding does it have in there? Sometimes a large crate allows them to potty in there and push it to the back or away from them so they don't care. Also something like a towel will sop up the mess so the dog won't care so much, whereas if you take the towel/blanket out and the dog has to sit sopping in its own pee-sometimes they re-think that one.

I have had this work for friends, all my dogs I have had since 8 weeks so have been lucky to not have house training issues. I think you said this is a toy type dog, they are notoriously harder to housetrain/dirty.

schmooot
08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
My dad stopped his dog from peeing on the truck tires by peeing on them himself.

Try that with your bed maybe

Awd-Tsi
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Pee on the dogs head while he is peeing on your bed. He will learn what its like to be pee'd on

punky
08-03-2010, 02:04 PM
"umbilicle" is the word i was trying to say, however i was talking about establishing dominant instead. I can see bignerd's suggestion being a pretty good idea if you've got all day at home.

the dog whining when being locked is a bad habit you've taught your dog by letting him/her spending too much time with you. Everytime you let your dog free when they whine is confirming to your dog that if he keeps whining he'll get set free. So to fix it, just leave them whining until they give up, this will take a while, and i know its really hard, but be patience. This will teach your dog they don't have to be with you 24/7.

odin7
08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Umbilical training is fantastic. You go about your day with your dog attached to you and he goes every where you go. It works wonders when they're puppies might take a little while longer when they're 6 though. The basics is that they follow you (in dog world that means you're the leader) and you give them attention when YOU want. I have a rule: never ever to reward a dog for peeing/pooing it should just be expected that they do the right thing. When I first got my guy i didn't have him attached to me and he would pee and poop everywhere.. I'd just say "bad dog" and then ignore him.. but with other people in the house this proved to be ineffective because he'd go and get love from them. With him attached to me he started realizing I didn't like it, I then brought in the bell and it finally clicked for him. Now I do reward his efforts, he walks up to the door hits the bell waits for me and does his business I'll give him a treat and he loves it. I don't reward it every time but its so nice to see that he gets the bell.. unfortunately I think I'll have to keep the bell there forever.

I think my approach would be no more treats/toys for the next month, umbilical training and crating while you're not home for at least a month. Don't associate any negativity with the new processes. Contrary to popular belief.. scolding a dog is slower for teaching then praising when they do the right thing. Although, I know how hard it is to hold back anger when your dog does something you dont like. You need to be super consistent and don't give up until you see at least SOME changes.. he will scream/whine/bark because you're essentially showing him that he's not the big dog in the house. His peeing all over the place is his way of showing you that he has no respect for what you think (he's marking HIS territory..when its really yours) Granted he might have had a harsh past but there is nothing wrong with discipline and he needs to understand that you love him but will discipline him as well. Only kind of rewards will be your love.. a quick "good boy" and maybe some belly scratching but nothing extra. Take him for walks too and don't let him walk in front of you, if he does then stop until he goes behind you/beside you and if he won't then just go in the other direction. Its quite funny to see and some days you might not even go very far. Once he starts to get he'll get in to the flow of your walks.. at this point if he starts to try and get infront of you a quick light tug on his leash to the side will correct him and he'll slow down.. if not go back to what you were doing before.

And the most important thing: consistency by everyone in the house.

If any of your house mates deviate from the plan you're screwed.. dogs are quick to learn good and bad habits and usually the 'bad' behaviour is the fault of the owners not communicating or not having common goals.. try and keep a clear mind when going in to the 'problem' times. No negativity!!!

My current problem is how much my dog barks at strangers but aside from that he's good. Unfortunately that problem won't be fixable until I move.. he gets inconsistent messages and gets confused.. at this point my best bet is to just not do anything so when I start he will get a clear and concise message from me.

Kardon
08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Also, I call bullshit on this. There's no way I can see that working at all. How's the dog going to understand the point? All he knows is you've jammed shit in his mouth (which he might choose to eat if he's so inclined) and holding his mouth shut on it. Is that how your mom potty trained you? Jammed a dirty diaper in your mouth and dragged you to the bathroom and let you spit it out into the toilet? Does that make sense to you?
I didn't learn how to use the toilet in a week man, but the dog learned picked up on the no shitting indoors pretty quick.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

You gotta be kidding me, he only had to do it 3 times. Our dogs are not abused.

[Yu]
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by odin7
Umbilical training is fantastic. You go about your day with your dog attached to you and he goes every where you go. It works wonders when they're puppies might take a little while longer when they're 6 though. The basics is that they follow you (in dog world that means you're the leader) and you give them attention when YOU want. I have a rule: never ever to reward a dog for peeing/pooing it should just be expected that they do the right thing. When I first got my guy i didn't have him attached to me and he would pee and poop everywhere.. I'd just say "bad dog" and then ignore him.. but with other people in the house this proved to be ineffective because he'd go and get love from them. With him attached to me he started realizing I didn't like it, I then brought in the bell and it finally clicked for him. Now I do reward his efforts, he walks up to the door hits the bell waits for me and does his business I'll give him a treat and he loves it. I don't reward it every time but its so nice to see that he gets the bell.. unfortunately I think I'll have to keep the bell there forever.

I think my approach would be no more treats/toys for the next month, umbilical training and crating while you're not home for at least a month. Don't associate any negativity with the new processes. Contrary to popular belief.. scolding a dog is slower for teaching then praising when they do the right thing. Although, I know how hard it is to hold back anger when your dog does something you dont like. You need to be super consistent and don't give up until you see at least SOME changes.. he will scream/whine/bark because you're essentially showing him that he's not the big dog in the house. His peeing all over the place is his way of showing you that he has no respect for what you think (he's marking HIS territory..when its really yours) Granted he might have had a harsh past but there is nothing wrong with discipline and he needs to understand that you love him but will discipline him as well. Only kind of rewards will be your love.. a quick "good boy" and maybe some belly scratching but nothing extra. Take him for walks too and don't let him walk in front of you, if he does then stop until he goes behind you/beside you and if he won't then just go in the other direction. Its quite funny to see and some days you might not even go very far. Once he starts to get he'll get in to the flow of your walks.. at this point if he starts to try and get infront of you a quick light tug on his leash to the side will correct him and he'll slow down.. if not go back to what you were doing before.

And the most important thing: consistency by everyone in the house.

If any of your house mates deviate from the plan you're screwed.. dogs are quick to learn good and bad habits and usually the 'bad' behaviour is the fault of the owners not communicating or not having common goals.. try and keep a clear mind when going in to the 'problem' times. No negativity!!!

My current problem is how much my dog barks at strangers but aside from that he's good. Unfortunately that problem won't be fixable until I move.. he gets inconsistent messages and gets confused.. at this point my best bet is to just not do anything so when I start he will get a clear and concise message from me.

Have you watched the Dog Whisperer? some of his techniques are simple to do, but to conduct it the way Ceasar does is the difficult part.

Although I do believe his approach to dogs is second to none.

odin7
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]

Have you watched the Dog Whisperer? some of his techniques are simple to do, but to conduct it the way Ceasar does is the difficult part.

Although I do believe his approach to dogs is second to none.

Yeah I have seen it, I gave up on his tactics for the most part because I do not have the patience that man has. A dog whisperer I am not. However, the one thing that does really work is the light tug on the leash to the side. It totally knocks the dog off balance and kinda wakes them up outta a trance or something.. doesn't hurt the dog as long as the leash is up high on the neck.... I've always wondered what he would say about my dog barking though.. almost wrote him a letter haha.

KandabashiDevil
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
The last straw is him peeing on our bed, when he did this I have no idea since he sleeps in his kennel at night time...

Hmm ... Maybe it was your wife?

alloroc
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Title of the thread is confusing.

I expected a whole different "problem"

title should read "I need help with my shitty or pissy dog."

not "I need help with my stupid fucking dog."

:D

Anyways.
The way I see it the only thing that can help is CONSTANT and I do mean CONSTANT attention.

Buddy of mine had a dog with a similar problem and what cured it was giving the dog a treat every time it did its business outside.

Positive reinforcement FTW.

Tezzating
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Brutality wont teach the dog anything except to not trust you.
Rubbing nose, shit in mouth, shit in bag, whatever, that wont do anything except make the dog scared of you.. it wont listen better, it'll only learn you're cruel.
Also, dont use the dogs name when disciplining it.. you want it to know Name = Come To Me, not Name = Discipline. I've found snarling "hey" works for me, but whatever works for you.

Do you use a baby gate to keep the dog out of your living areas ? You'd probably need to wrap it in chicken wire for such a small dog.
Bissel makes steam cleaners for $100, and family friendly Pet Stain & Odour detergent for carpets. That'll help with the smell and cleaning.

Excitable dogs need their energy burnt off.. family walks to the park or playground are a good time to take the dog out and burn off some energy. Keep it on a short leash, dont let it walk infront of you or especially your daughter, so it learns to respect and follow you. Let is run off on a long leash and its leading you.. and thinks its in charge.

Finally, feed the dog once a day. Whatever it hasnt finished eating in 10 minutes, take it away and dont feed it again til the next day. You'll soon learn how much it can eat, so only serve that amount.. and feed it at the same time every day.

Oh yeah, and what are you feeding it ? It might not agree with the dog and is causing an irritable bowel.. and this could be as simple as getting a different food.

Or go with your original plan.

syeve
08-04-2010, 11:22 AM

You gotta be kidding me, he only had to do it 3 times. Our dogs are not abused.

Does that really make sense in your head? You're shoving shit in the mouth of an animal. Animal bylaw would love to hear your side of this story. I'm assuming thats your number in the for sale ad in your sig?

To the OP, like cesar says, no stupid dogs, only stupid owners.

Have you ever had your dog to a obedience class? I would much rather you take the dog to the SPCA where it can go to an educated owner versus you losing your patience, confusing and scaring your dog. You don't really seem to know what you are doing.

Trust me, you are not the first person to think that raising a dog is easy, it is difficult and requires specific breed knowledge. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I just see it so often, even on here. There are countless thread on here "omg, I want a bulldogz, they are soo cute!" It literally makes me facepalm myself.

alloroc
08-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Does that really make sense in your head? You're shoving shit in the mouth of an animal. Animal bylaw would love to hear your side of this story. I'm assuming thats your number in the for sale ad in your sig?

Well on the other side of things - If I don't clean up after our dog right away ... and I mean right away ... he eats his own shit. We had to put the cat litter box in a place he doesn't frequent as well.

syeve
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM
^you seem pretty smart on here so I'm gonna assume you can identify clearly the difference between the two.