PDA

View Full Version : Buying car - help!

tobypaddock
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
so Im looking to buy a used car off of kijiji from a guy in edmonton.

i want to pick it up this weekend, but obvioulsy the bank is closed and i dont have cash for the car.

is paypal a route i could take?

also, im sure my insurance company is closed - is there anyway i could get insured online or something just for a day or 2?

and what about plates? i know i have a grace period for registering the vehicle, so do i just pull the plate off of my yukon and use it to drive back to calgary?

i am heading out of town on wednesday, thats why im sort of in a rush to do this and it would be hard to take tuesday off of work...

any input is appreciated - thanks

Unknown303
08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I'd make a money order out in his name or certified cheque.

haven't you seen that horrible thread on Paypal lately?

4lti
08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I dont think theirs a grace period with uninsured cars.
Saying I just bought this car after a car accident doesn't fix it.

From what I remember you can fax your insurance and have that car insured for driving it back. Most people just throw on a old plate, but its really up to you on what you do I guess.
Since its Sunday tho youre probably going to have to wait, plus tomorrow is a holiday...

From all the threads about bad paypal and sending money problems, id just wait to get down there and check out the car first
:dunno:

tobypaddock
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I'd make a money order out in his name or certified cheque.

haven't you seen that horrible thread on Paypal lately?

no i havent seen the thread, i'll check it out - and yeah, cant do the certified cheque till the bank opens on tuesday...:banghead:

Originally posted by 4lti
I dont think theirs a grace period with uninsured cars.
Saying I just bought this car after a car accident doesn't fix it.

From what I remember you can fax your insurance and have that car insured for driving it back. Most people just throw on a old plate, but its really up to you on what you do I guess.
Since its Sunday tho youre probably going to have to wait, plus tomorrow is a holiday...

From all the threads about bad paypal and sending money problems, id just wait to get down there and check out the car first
:dunno:

i had a friend of mine check the car out and all seems pretty good.

yeah im not interested in driving it back uninsured, i was just wondering if there was any instant online insurance options...

master hec0
08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
if you are currently insured you can call your insurance company and they can put on temporary insurance. just give them the date and time ahead of time and between the hours it will be on the road and they will do it for free. or at least they did for me. and i just used a plate off another car because there is 14 days to switch. now i did not have a proof of insurance because i had a expired insurance card in my uninsured car and they said that i could use that as proof of insurance since they were adding it temporarily.

Unknown303
08-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by tobypaddock

no i havent seen the thread, i'll check it out - and yeah, cant do the certified cheque till the bank opens on tuesday...:banghead:

i had a friend of mine check the car out and all seems pretty good.

yeah im not interested in driving it back uninsured, i was just wondering if there was any instant online insurance options...

Right I forgot you were talking about weekend payment.