PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Passenger Clinging To Life After Saturday Night Collision

Markham
08-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/08/motorcycle-passenger-clinging-to-life-after-saturday-night-collision/

Markham

shakalaka
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Ah stupid biker running the red light and that too with a passenger in the back.:facepalm:

Toilet_D
08-01-2010, 03:13 PM
there sure have been a whackload of crashes this summer.
gosh i hope they pull through.

revelations
08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Interesting the article actually mentions the make and model of the bike.... Yami FZ1.

I hope for their sake they had protection on besides the bare minimum, but cruising down 17th, many riders have their lady wearing as little as possible.

Also, this is just speculation on my part but for the car to travel 30m to stop, I dont think they were exactly going 50kph.

A 30m stopping distance usually equates a speed of 80-90 kph.

bjstare
08-01-2010, 04:19 PM
So stupid when riders don't wear their gear, really hope they were. Road rash is teh suck.

Zigo
08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Wounder if the light was not turning red for him? Or did he just run it.

Dumbass17
08-01-2010, 08:51 PM
yup

you can sure tell riders who have fell from ones that haven' t (yet) based on what they wear to ride

jake1er
08-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Seriously ^^^^^^^

I fell off a dirt bike doing about 30kph when I was a kid, took most of the skin of my arm, I wouldn't be caught dead without protective gear now.

I cringe everytime I see a biker wearing a t-shirt.

theken
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
i wear a t shirt when i go to the store, or on roads that im not going to go over 50 on. anything over its leathers.

monkeyman
08-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Probably one of the guys who hangs at the Shell and rides like an idiot + passenger. Hopefully it knocks some sense into them.

Zigo
08-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by theken
i wear a t shirt when i go to the store, or on roads that im not going to go over 50 on. anything over its leathers.

Same here mostly.. I'v caught myself going down deerfoot in a T a few times though.. Will probably catch me one of these days.

bjstare
08-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by theken

That's what I did, till I crashed on one of those rides. It's not worth it man, get a mesh or textile jacket if you don't want the hassle of wearing leathers on short rides.

Originally posted by Zigo

Same here mostly.. I'v caught myself going down deerfoot in a T a few times though.. Will probably catch me one of these days.

Since you think it will catch you (which it will), why don't you just cover up? Road rash is awful shit, not to mention if you crash in a tee on deerfoot, there will be enough skin missing that you could go into shock and die from it.

I always thought I wouldn't need gear for the short rides up to school and stuff, til I got caught off guard on cold tires (stupid, I know). I only slid for maybe 30 feet, and was lucky enough to not have the bike land on me and squish my leg/ankle.... but it was enough of a lesson that I don't even get on my bike without jacket, boots, jeans and gloves now. The feeling of having road rash literally makes me sick to my stomach, thats how bad it hurt. I almost passed out while my wife was scrubbing the asphalt out.

I doubt I'll change anyones mind, but here's hoping.

revelations
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I almost passed out while my wife was scrubbing the asphalt out.

Make SURE you specifically ask for Demerol in the merg - that shit is the best - even though it carries slightly more risk than using morphine.

A coworker laid his CBR down in an offramp with just a tshirt on.... they loaded him on Demerol and he watched as the nurse used a WIRE brush to scrape out the gravel from his skin and he just laughed.

maxomilll
08-02-2010, 12:46 PM

That's what I did, till I crashed on one of those rides. It's not worth it man, get a mesh or textile jacket if you don't want the hassle of wearing leathers on short rides.

Since you think it will catch you (which it will), why don't you just cover up? Road rash is awful shit, not to mention if you crash in a tee on deerfoot, there will be enough skin missing that you could go into shock and die from it.

I always thought I wouldn't need gear for the short rides up to school and stuff, til I got caught off guard on cold tires (stupid, I know). I only slid for maybe 30 feet, and was lucky enough to not have the bike land on me and squish my leg/ankle.... but it was enough of a lesson that I don't even get on my bike without jacket, boots, jeans and gloves now. The feeling of having road rash literally makes me sick to my stomach, thats how bad it hurt. I almost passed out while my wife was scrubbing the asphalt out.

Dude, I just got my bike license and you changed my mind about riding in a T.

MrSector9
08-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Interesting the article actually mentions the make and model of the bike.... Yami FZ1.

I hope for their sake they had protection on besides the bare minimum, but cruising down 17th, many riders have their lady wearing as little as possible.

Also, this is just speculation on my part but for the car to travel 30m to stop, I dont think they were exactly going 50kph.

A 30m stopping distance usually equates a speed of 80-90 kph.

I am not going to say that the car was not possibly speeding, but i don't think 30 meters is too far considering reaction time/shock.

no way would they have seen the bike, then they would have hit, start reaction time/shock/scare.

bjstare
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by maxomilll

Dude, I just got my bike license and you changed my mind about riding in a T.

:) Good, just stick to your guns. It's hard when youre sweating your bag off on a 32 degree afternoon watching goofs in tees ride by haha.

revelations
08-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by MrSector9

I am not going to say that the car was not possibly speeding, but i don't think 30 meters is too far considering reaction time/shock.

no way would they have seen the bike, then they would have hit, start reaction time/shock/scare.

Ya I just looked at the numbers a little closer. I didnt factor in the reaction time into the estimation.

Just the braking distance of 30m corresponds to about 73kph.

Including the reaction time for typical drivers on a dry road, it corresponds to about 56kph speed at impact.

Dumbass17
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
yeah road rash sucks ass

i got it when i got rear ended by a guy on a harley and he made me go flying all over deerfoot.

it sucks sitting at work with road rash that just bleeds/oozes/leaks into your bandages/dress pants all day haha

bjstare
08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
^Ya man. I had a longboarding accident in Hawaii one time and lost a bunch of skin. Spent a day on the plane oozing, then right back to the office...oozing. The worst part was everything stayed pretty open cause of the humidity and heat in Hawaii.... then I came back to dry Calgary in January, and I could literally feel myself dry up and crack every time I moved. Worst. Shit. Ever.

baygirl
08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
The passenger died.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/08/06/14947206.html

I know he was thrown from the bike, but I can't understand how the driver escaped with no injuries, while the passenger died.

dezmarez
08-07-2010, 08:56 AM
RIP

For those with sport bikes, do you think they should even have people on the back as passengers.

aypi
08-07-2010, 09:35 AM

do you wear leather pants too on short rides? you got me thinking there coz i usually wear leather jacket/gloves/helmet/denim jeans, sometimes my boots but most of the time just runners. i have a pants but i just wear it on long trips or if i know i'll be riding in deerfoot.

speedog
08-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by dezmarez
RIP

For those with sport bikes, do you think they should even have people on the back as passengers. What difference does it make if it's a sport bike or a cruiser or whatever with a passenger? It really wouldn't have made a whole hill of beans difference in this case.

I know from past experience that there are good tail riders and bad ones. My wife was excellent - didn't even know she was back there except for a bit of decreased performance and I could lay my sport bike over until hard parts started touching. Her sister, however, would feel the need to lean over once you were committed in a turn - lotsa fun (uh huh) and would slide forward at the stops.

Never the less, the accident being discussed in this thread would've most likely had dire consequences for the motor bike's riders regardless of the type of motor bike being ridden.

Cowtown_Raider
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
ATGATT all the way, boys n girls, and I've preached this on other threads. I rode for 10 years with inadequate gear. Usually with a leather jacket, jeans, and sneakers. Sometimes on hot days, just a t-shirt. Stupid x 10. I thank my lucky stars that I never went down during that time and I had a good friend of mine convert me to ATGATT 4 years ago.

Jeans are NOT adequate gear for riding. This is one of my favourite sites explaining what can happen when you go down: Can you pass the Sander test? (http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/beginner/sander-test.html)

It's not hard to stay protected and cool. Get a pair of good riding jeans (like Draggin' Jeans). Feels like like regular pants except they won't shred if you go pavement surfing. On hot days, get a mesh jacket with some light armour. I find they keep you quite cool.

Decent footwear is important too. I prefer SIDI riding boots, but there's a lot of options out there for good protective footwear.

Don't be a douche...gear up!