PDA

View Full Version : UofC BSC admission question

tbomb
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I applied into biosci at uofcalgary with an average of 81%, figuring id get in no prob. My lowest mark was 66% in Math pure 30, which is below the prerequisite for math249/math253 (which is 70%). math249/math253 is mandatory for my first year...

So my question is, will the university decline my admission because i didn't get a high enough grade in math pure 30, even if my average(81%) is above the minimum to get into the BSC program.

Anyone run into this problem? I'm really freakin out about having to take another year off and resiting the puremath30 diploma.

I'm going to call the addmissions office tomorrow morning- just wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks,

Tbomb

tbomb
08-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Just read about a "Mathematics Diagnostic Test" one can take to use as a prerequ for math249. Seems pretty straight forward.

Has anyone taken it?
http://math.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/prerequisites/mathematics-diagnostic-test

dkmlam
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
You won't be admitted if you can't take Math 249/251. You need one of those for your degree

Gainsbarre
08-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Did you calculate you admission average correctly? The average that they will look at for U of C admission will consist of only five 30 level courses.

For the faculty of science, and specifically to biological sciences (according to http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/alberta_nwt_nunavut ) out of the five course presented for admission, four must include the following:

English 30
Pure Math 30
Biology 30
Chemistry 30
Any other 30 level class (likely the highest other grade for a 30 level course that you've taken).

Take the average of these 5 courses and that's your average for admission. If you didn't take English 30 / Pure Math 30 / Biology 30, and Chemistry 30 I don't think you can get into biological sciences.

I took the mathematics diagnostic test back in 2002 (as I only got 66% in Math 30F in high school). I studied like a madman using Schaum's outlines for Algebra and Trigonometry and passed the exam rather easily. However, from my observation of the other students that wrote with me, the pass rate didn't seem too high (maybe around 40%).

lint
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Unless things have changed, meeting minimum standards doesn't guarantee you admission into a program. With a limited number of first year spots open, it depends on the total applicant pool that meets those minimum requirements. And unless they've implemented a lottery system to get in, they typically accept students with a higher matriculation first. BioSci is typically applicant heavy with all the "pre-med" folks.

tbomb
08-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've been admitted, just need to take that diagnostic test before sept 9th.

cjay^
08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by tbomb
Thanks for the replies.

I've been admitted, just need to take that diagnostic test before sept 9th.

lolnoob

Did you do your $200 deposit yet?