PDA

View Full Version : Dog pee killing lawn

dbl0svn
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey

The mutt has basically murdered the new sod in our backyard with his piss. Can someone suggest methods to get rid of the yellow patches?

Tik-Tok
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
A) Build a dog run
B) Train your dog to use it
C) Dig up the patches of grass, and buy some sod to fill it in, or soil and seed.

speedog
08-02-2010, 05:39 PM
If you've got large areas that are dead, then you're probably are going to have to either re-sod or reseed. This document (link (http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8255.pdf)) provides some good information.

As to preventing further problems, there are products you can give your dog that will lessen or stop future damage including Earth Balance's G-Whiz liquid and treats, M&C's Green-Um tablets and a relatively new product call Dog Rocks. Probably the best thing to do though is create an area where your dog is taught to relieve themselves as this will be the most effective solution to saving your lawn.

bignerd
08-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I've always had luck with the lawn patch stuff that is made from shredded newspaper and has fertilizer and grass seed mixed in.

Rake up the dead stuff, put down a little bit of soil, put on the newspaper mix, add more soil to the top and water a couple times a day.

kevie88
08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
I've always had luck with the lawn patch stuff that is made from shredded newspaper and has fertilizer and grass seed mixed in.

Rake up the dead stuff, put down a little bit of soil, put on the newspaper mix, add more soil to the top and water a couple times a day.

I agree with this. My front lawn was a pile of steaming shit this year, So many burnt out patches and weeds everywhere. First I threw down some weed and feed fertilizer to nuke the weeds, then 2 weeks later did the patch exactly as described above. It takes about 3 weeks to get growing good so be patient!

I also mow with a nice sharp blade and mow it on the 2nd to tallest setting on my mower to leave it long. Helps keep the weeds out!

I'm the envy of my block now haha. My 65 year old neighbor was asking me for tips the other day. :D

sputnik
08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Train your dog.

mr2mike
08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.dogrocks.org/

gf is trying it with her dog.
It's worth a try but I have my doubts.

Dog RocksŪ are a 100% Natural Australian product that will save your lawn from those nasty burn patches that your Dog's urine can cause.

Dog RocksŪ filter out impurities from water such as Tin, ammonia and nitrates. These impurities are usually passed out through urine, and when your grass comes in contact with these elements it is burned, resulting in a dead, yellow patch on your lawn.

Dog RocksŪ give your four legged friend a cleaner source of water, while also stopping the cause of those nasty burnt yellow patches on your lawn.

Without the impurities in the water, Dog RocksŪ actually help your dog fertilize your lawn! This is great for you, your dog & your lawn!

dbl0svn
08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Train your dog.

Training him to do what exactly?

Thanks guys. I am going to give the 'newspaper' stuff a shot. :thumbsup:

Milkaholic
08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
you can buy pills at the pet stores that neutralize the amonium in your dogs piss. they are called naturvet grass saver. Around 50 bucks for a bottle of a couple hundred. i get them at the animal house in okotoks.

voodoo
08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I use te dog rocks. They rock, no pun intended. Lol

bignerd
08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by dbl0svn

Training him to do what exactly?

Thanks guys. I am going to give the 'newspaper' stuff a shot. :thumbsup:

Sometimes you can train them to go to one spot to do their business rather than random areas of your lawn. We put gravel down the far side of our house and our dog goes there 97% of the time, occasionally if he thinks he can get away with it he will still go in the middle of the lawn.

bignerd
08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
And try to water the newspapered spots twice a day, just enough to soak the newspaper. It will seem like nothing is happening for a while, then one day there is grass.

CLiVE
08-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

:werd: Go to a garden center and buy "Dog Patch" used to be in a yellow box. Rake the section and put the dog patch on it.

Kennyredline
08-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Train your dog.
Ceasar says fuck you and train your dog!!! lol
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/ceasar.png

travis_gillard
08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
you can goto panorama and find cedar crest landscapings pile of scrap sod to replace the pee spots its usually at the sea can right down the street from the rexall and cottage pizza

modpod77
08-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey,just train your dog lol~
Thought is the best way you can do :D

freshprince1
08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Dog pee kills grass. If you let your dog pee on the grass, you will have dead grass.

If you can keep track of where they pee, all you need to do it water the area down after they do their business.

Build a gravel dog run and train them to pee in that area.

alloroc
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Wash your car on your lawn to dilute it ... use soap.

codetrap
08-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Milkaholic
you can buy pills at the pet stores that neutralize the amonium in your dogs piss. they are called naturvet grass saver. Around 50 bucks for a bottle of a couple hundred. i get them at the animal house in okotoks.

These don't really work too well, and they're hard on the dog's kidneys. Not really recommended.

Tik-Tok has the better method, build a dog run and train it to pee / poo there. I did one up the side of the house in gravel, and it works great. Used a wrought iron fence to divert her from the back yard off the deck.