PDA

View Full Version : Greenpeace @ Calgary Tower

dbl0svn
08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Green Peace just rapelled down from the tower and hung a giant banner off it. 9th Ave is basically closed.

JRSC00LUDE
08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Greenpeace can joint Peta and get bent. Bunch of losers.

masoncgy
08-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

+1

Type_S1
08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
:facepalm:

I honestly wonder how some people think causing punblic disturbances helps people....

masoncgy
08-03-2010, 10:47 AM
BTW... I have a real good view of the Tower from my shop loading dock... the banner must be facing the north, because I can't see anything going on from the south side.

eb0i
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Just heard it on the radio as I woke up this morning and was able to grab a few photos. I am SW of the tower so I can't get a good look at the banner. Also I think there is only 3 guys doing it so I don't know what is on the other side of the Calgary tower, perhaps window cleaning?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4856897357_62f2c0fbcb.jpg

Cos
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I hope someone slips, take out a TV ad instead of trespassing all over the place.

7thgenvic
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I would love to see more pictures.

supe
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Green+protestors+rappel+Calgary+Tower+hang+banner/3354163/story.html

Modelexis
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewest/3354138.bin?size=620x400

I can certainly agree with the message.
Although I don't think it's a great way to spend your energy trying to change the world.

I do envy their passion though.

7thgenvic
08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/thewest/3354138.bin?size=620x400

I can certainly agree with the message.
Although I don't think it's a great way to spend your energy trying to change the world.

I do envy their passion though.

Greenpeace FTL. Another failed attempt to gain public attention for 24 hours.

masoncgy
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I hope Greenpeace gets the bill for this.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I also agree with their message, and I actually think it's pretty neat that they were able to pull this off.

Originally posted by masoncgy
I hope Greenpeace gets the bill for this.

But yes, this is costing the city a lot of money, I'm sure. Greenpeace should definitely be billed.

Phenix
08-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Where's the whaling vessel to crash this boat? Lol

Lex350
08-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I have a problem with their message because for all their bitching they don't come to the table with any real world solutions.

Idealogy is great in theory.

Modelexis
08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
I have a problem with their message because for all their bitching they don't come to the table with any real world solutions.

Idealogy is great in theory.

A real world solution opposing one of the largest and most powerful coercive monopolies and military in the world.

Good luck with that.
Expecting them to have a real world solution is not even ideology, it's worse, I would argue that expectation would be sort of hilarious to even think about.

Mibz
08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't see the logic in pissing off the people you're trying to educate.

FraserB
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
They are hypocrites and criminals, nothing more. The judicial system needs to start making examples of the people who intentionally and maliciously destroy and disrupt industry and facilities that are vital to the national interest.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military%E2%80%93industrial_complex

mx73someday
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
They are hypocrites and criminals, nothing more. The judicial system needs to start making examples of the people who intentionally and maliciously destroy and disrupt industry and facilities that are vital to the national interest.

What is national interest?

dino_martini
08-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Does the Calgary Police Force not have a sniper team that we can just pick these low life's off one by one?

Green Peace really annoys the hell out of me.

speedog
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Does the Calgary Police Force not have a sniper team that we can just pick these low life's off one by one? And now back to reality...

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Does the Calgary Police Force not have a sniper team that we can just pick these low life's off one by one?

Green Peace really annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah, those morans need to get a brain!

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by idioteque

Yeah, those morans need to get a brain!

Those "morans" do need to realize that they are hypocrites, I bet they used fuel to get to the calgary tower, I bet it took fuel to ship their climbing equipment/rope from wherever it was made, I bet they even wear stylish clothing that was made out of synthetic fibres, guess how that is produced?? FUEL!!!1!!

Fucking people piss me off, should have just cut their ropes and at least prevent them from reproducing.

Lex350
08-03-2010, 12:18 PM

A real world solution opposing one of the largest and most powerful coercive monopolies and military in the world.

Good luck with that.
Expecting them to have a real world solution is not even ideology, it's worse, I would argue that expectation would be sort of hilarious to even think about.

So then all they do it bitch, grandstand and posture but offer nothing in return. Oh..I'm sorry. They increase awareness. :facepalm:

Ok fine, if they can't offer up a real world solution then offer up something constructive.

masoncgy
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM
These idiots fail to deliver their message... it's a waste of time. You don't influence people by pissing them off. In fact, you just cement their beliefs into place evn further.

Greenpeace simply aggravates the divide that exists in this country.

TorqueDog
08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Does the Calgary Police Force not have a sniper team that we can just pick these low life's off one by one?Calgary Police Service is presently looking for avid Modern Warfare 2 players to join the "CPS Sniper team". If you're at Level 50 or higher, CPS wants to hear from you. Users with Prestige will be given priority.

Applicants must also have experience in capturing objectives by standing still for approximately 5 to 10 seconds depending on how many of you there are standing motionless.

And NOW, back to reality.

I think these guys are complete idiots. I hope they all fall off the damn Tower, and are saved by falling into a vat of crude. Then, once they're carted off to jail, they're bunked with big, burly inmates who use crude oil as a lubricant to rape them until their sentences are up.

Sad thing is, if one of those pricks actually falls off and dies, he'll be seen as a hero amongst activists for dying while fighting for the cause... and not as a moron who scaled a fucking building to hang a sign.

dino_martini
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

So then all they do it bitch, grandstand and posture but offer nothing in return. Oh..I'm sorry. They increase awareness. :facepalm:

Ok fine, if they can't offer up a real world solution then offer up something constructive.

They can't come up with anything constructive, these people aren't even employable. Oh well, I can't wait to see what stunt Greenpeace pulls next.

FraserB
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

What is national interest?

The oil sands and energy production in general are vital to Canada's exports and international trade. For the first six months of 2009, 4/10 of the top ten exports were energy and O&G related, totaling more than $26 billion (down roughly 50% across the board). Canada and its citizens have a huge stake in keeping the O&G and energy sectors safe.

dbl0svn
08-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Saw the whole thing go down from my office. One swat guy was on the top of the tower and talked them into ending it, even helped them bring the sign up.

Modelexis
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Maybe I read a different banner than a few on here, the banner didn't say "BAN OIL" as far as I can tell.

sexualbanana
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Those "morans" do need to realize that they are hypocrites, I bet they used fuel to get to the calgary tower, I bet it took fuel to ship their climbing equipment/rope from wherever it was made, I bet they even wear stylish clothing that was made out of synthetic fibres, guess how that is produced?? FUEL!!!1!!

Fucking people piss me off, should have just cut their ropes and at least prevent them from reproducing.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think they are necessarily trying to advocate a zero-pollution, "oil is evil" message. I'm interpreting "Separate Oil and State" to mean that the government at all levels are relying so heavily on the revenues created by the oil companies that they are more willing to turn their backs on certain infractions. Whether it's true or not is another story.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Maybe I read a different banner than a few on here, the banner didn't say "BAN OIL" as far as I can tell.

:rofl:

Kennyredline
08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
How the hell do they get up there in the first place?? Aren't there security doors or something to prevent people from going up to the roof? Good thing they didn't light the flame and have a giant weenie roast!

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
How the hell do they get up there in the first place?? Aren't there security doors or something to prevent people from going up to the roof? Good thing they didn't light the flame and have a giant weenie roast!

I'm not sure, but that's why I have to give them props for pulling this off... and while this IS a waste of city money and resources, it takes some major skill, talent, AND balls to dangle from a rope on the top of the Calgary Tower!

maxomilll
08-03-2010, 12:40 PM

It's almost impossible not to be hypocritical in a situation like this. Our society is completely run off of oil, it's now become a complete means to our survival. Where would you find any of the stuff they need, to get there message across, that hasn't been touched be some sort of oil production?

If one wanted to escape any sort of paradox or contrast in there message, they would have to literally live totally self sustainable out in the woods or something. Or have a urban farm. Which in turn, makes them a sort of societal recluse not getting any real, or big message across to anyone, because no one sees it.

Sure without oil we wouldn't be near as well off as we are now, I'm not arguing that. But it's not about being hypocrites anymore, it's about using the resources we have now to figure out a new sustainable resource to keep us alive as well as comfortable.
The truth is obvious, our pollution and over consumption is slowly killing us, and our environment. No one can argue that. We have to work as a hole to move the human race forward.

sure activists and extremist can be a bunch of fucktards but arguing on how stupid they are is just as dumb.

at least there making people think :devil:

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Greenpeace are a bunch of idiots who go around disrupting working peoples lives to get some retarded message across, be it banning offshore drilling, "saving the whales", separating "oil and state", or some other half-cocked, unrealistic bullshit. This one time the message is somewhat agreeable, I just don't think they mean it the same way I interpret it, which is "get rid of government involvement in oil" which would be no regulation, which would lead to more spills and accidents. Of course they mean gov't shouldn't profit from oil, which means they must be willing to make up the difference out of their own pockets right?

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Greenpeace are a bunch of idiots who go around disrupting working peoples lives to get some retarded message across, be it banning offshore drilling, "saving the whales", separating "oil and state", or some other half-cocked, unrealistic bullshit. This one time the message is somewhat agreeable, I just don't think they mean it the same way I interpret it, which is "get rid of government involvement in oil" which would be no regulation, which would lead to more spills and accidents. Of course they mean gov't shouldn't profit from oil, which means they must be willing to make up the difference out of their own pockets right?

I think their message is more about oil influence on policy. But yeah, like I already said, those Greenpeace MORANS need to GET A BRAIN!

http://turbid.com/images/goofy/get-a-brain-morans.jpg

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Yeah, like I said, those Greenpeace MORANS need to GET A BRAIN!

your comments have added greatly to this thread, I can't imagine how I would continue in life without your insight.

Nice edit:

I think their message is more about oil influence on policy.

Is this the first greenpeace demonstration you have seen? As I said, sometimes the message is agreeable, but the method of getting it across is the work of immature yuppies with no clue how influence is gained. Stopping me from getting to work is not the way to earn respect or interest in your cause. They are also immense hypocrites, and that is worse than anything.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:48 PM

your comments have added greatly to this thread, I can't imagine how I would continue in life without your insight.

I think you mean "you're incite." :rofl:

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I think you mean "you're incite." :rofl:

It sucks when someone intelligent doesn't agree with you doesn't it, no come backs other than childish attempts at insults.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Nice edit:

That wasn't edited in, it was there the whole time.

It sucks when someone intelligent doesn't agree with you doesn't it, no come backs other than childish attempts at insults.

I know, I have to deal with the intelligentsia all the time in Beyond. Along with the "childish attempts at insults," I also have this bad habit of banging my head on the floor. You should see the bruises on my forehead.

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 12:54 PM

That wasn't edited in, it was there the whole time.

I quoted the whole OP moran.

Canmorite
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

:thumbsup:

maxomilll
Originally posted by FraserB

The oil sands and energy production in general are vital to Canada's exports and international trade. For the first six months of 2009, 4/10 of the top ten exports were energy and O&G related, totaling more than $26 billion (down roughly 50% across the board). Canada and its citizens have a huge stake in keeping the O&G and energy sectors safe.

You know what. Actually it's just plan fucked that produce value comes before our survival.

National interest is in making cash monies, so later we can buy freedoms and luxuries? Have power and be the dominant country?

whats the point of that, if there's nothing left to enjoy?
we are wrecking our own shit and no one cares because we're making money. To later buy that wrecked shit? that in the first place we already had?
it's so twisted.

but I'm sorry I'm a hypocrite because I live in a house and enjoy staying warm in cloths, because it's impossible to escape the MONOPOLIZED INDUSTRY THAT RUNS OUR WORLD. If we don't support oil, we don't survive.

Mibz
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
If we all sit here discussing their message don't they win? Do I need to lock this topic to ensure demonstrations like this don't happen again?

idioteque
08-03-2010, 01:02 PM

I quoted the whole OP moran.

Sorry, I'm plain dumb. Or is that plane dumb. doh!

mx73someday
08-03-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/recent/Greenpeace-rappels-off-the-Calgary-Tower-to-remind-government-to-separate-oil-and-state/

The hypocrisy is that Green Peace wants the oil industry to stop influencing government, but they themselves want to be able to influence government for their own interests.

The message "separation of oil and state" is misleading, because Green Peace only want to separate oil's influence on the state, not the state's influence on oil. Green Peace needs the state to regulate the oil industry, that's the only way they can potentially impose their interests.

The true separation of oil and state would mean that neither could influence the other, which I'm all for, but I'm sure environmentalists would perceive problems with that (I don't).

403Gemini
08-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I remember I went to the zoo one day with my girlfriend and they were outside so I figured why not hear them out. This one girl asked what my favorite fruit was so I said strawberries and she said that a lot of strawberries are injected with something from jellyfish to make them bigger and seem riper... I looked away and nodded with a long pause and she said "So you see our point." I nodded again and looked at her right in the face and said "You're right.... jelly fish are fucking delicious!" and walked on, my girlfriend couldnt stop laughing at me and the look on the greenpeace peoples faces were pure shock/mortification.

I love how they will preach all of this garbage, then ask for all your contact information and to supply "donations" and they will send you literature on all the glorious stuff they do....

supe
08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If we all sit here discussing their message don't they win? Do I need to lock this topic to ensure demonstrations like this don't happen again?

You mean won?

Toma
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow!
That is plain awesome! :thumbsup:

I may have to increase my monthly donations. :bigpimp:

BerserkerCatSplat
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM

I know, I have to deal with the intelligentsia all the time in Beyond. Along with the "childish attempts at insults," I also have this bad habit of banging my head on the floor. You should see the bruises on my forehead.

Hey nonlinear, decided to make a new account after the horse-bet death debacle, I see?

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Hey nonlinear, decided to make a new account after the horse-bet death debacle, I see?

hahaha, I knew he seemed familiar.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
It had nothing to do with the trolls bugging me in the Sarcastic Horse Bet thread. Actually, I'm trying to turn a new leaf here on Beyond... You know, reinvent myself, so to speak. I've been trolling for far too long and am trying to change my ways - thus, my location of "The Peanut Gallery." I thought that I could be discreet by laying low and capitalizing my sentences and so on, but I got a bit carried away in this thread. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone caught on. :(

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 04:20 PM
It had nothing to do with the trolls bugging me in the Sarcastic Horse Bet thread. Actually, I'm trying to turn a new leaf here on Beyond... You know, reinvent myself, so to speak. I've been trolling for far too long and am trying to change my ways - thus, my location of "The Peanut Gallery." I thought that I could be discreet by laying low and capitalizing my sentences and so on, but I got a bit carried away in this thread. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone caught on. :(

Pay up for your bet you pseudo hippie piece of shit.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Pay up for your bet you pseudo hippie piece of shit.

There never was a bet, Sir, just a sarcastic remark taken out of context by a couple of internet trolls. Anyways, it was decided by Melinda that I was a loser and the Bet Trolls had to keep quiet about it. So I suppose you should take up the issue with her, Sir.

Canmorite
08-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Wow!
That is plain awesome! :thumbsup:

I may have to increase my monthly donations. :bigpimp:

"A fool and his money are..." ?

GTS4tw
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM

There never was a bet, Sir, just a sarcastic remark taken out of context by a couple of internet trolls. Anyways, it was decided by Melinda that I was a loser and the Bet Trolls had to keep quiet about it. So I suppose you should take up the issue with her, Sir.

It was not taken out of context, if you are a man you don't make a bet you can't deliver on. I agree with Melinda that you are a loser, but I for one won't let you live in anonymity, I'll keep reminding you until you post proof of payment from the SPCA.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

It was not taken out of context, if you are a man you don't make a bet you can't deliver on. I agree with Melinda that you are a loser, but I for one won't let you live in anonymity, I'll keep reminding you until you post proof of payment from the SPCA.

Unfortunately for you, and unlike nonlinear, idioteque is a very humble and self-deprecating person. I'm just a lowly moran, and I know it. Your trolling won't work on me.

dbl0svn
08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Here is the list of winners from yesterday:

The following individuals are charged with one count each of breaking out (Section 348 (1) (c)) and mischief to property under $5,000 (Section 430 (1) (a)):

Ian Scott Wearmouth, 21, of Calgary, AB
Adela Sculean, 26, of Edmonton, AB
Tom Verhaeghe, 28, Belgium National
Jeffrey Charles Harrison, 22, Surrey, B.C.
Rehn Thibault, 29, (town unknown), QB
Zane Trevor Lewis, 36, Edmonton, AB
Steven Erich Andersen, 30, Grande Prairie, AB
Isabelle Charelebois, 25, Calgary, AB
Frederic Bleau, 30, St. Bruno, QB

Sugarphreak
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM

WhippWhapp
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Stephen Harper is nothing but a puppet for big oil, and history will show Klein as Alberta's worst premier.

Cos
08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
Stephen Harper is nothing but a puppet for big oil, and history will show Klein as Alberta's worst premier.

I dont agree with either, I remember Harper ignoring big oil and catering to Ontario and Quebec to the shock and upset of the west.

Also how would Klein be seen as Alberta's worst.... what are your grounds for that? I would be willing to say Stelmach right now.... good for nothing sit around.

derpderp
08-05-2010, 03:33 AM
lol I know Jeff Harrison, he was in jail for 35 hours.

1barA4
08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
lol I know Jeff Harrison, he was in jail for 35 hours.

Were 34 of those hours with the Toss-Salad Man?

Chris Rock was right, that guy would keep all these kids on the straight and narrow.