PDA

View Full Version : Can I use biodegradable soap to wash the car?

Pages : [1] 2

The BMW Guy
08-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I know the City of Calgary has the bylaw against washing your car with soap. But does that include biodegradable and phosphate-free soap?

I'm thinking about getting some "Simple Green" from Canadian Tire but I'm not sure if it would get me in trouble or not.

inline6turbo
08-03-2010, 03:14 PM
No sorry you can't, there's threads on this already.

Calgary is very strict and you can't use anything except water.

G
08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Has anyone actually received a ticket for washing their car on their driveway?

idioteque
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by G
Has anyone actually received a ticket for washing their car on their driveway?

I would hope so, because Calgary doesn't treat the street sewer water.

alloroc
08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
What ya'll need is a buddy out of town to hose a 'car wash' party every weekend.t
Drive through is good enough for me.

The BMW Guy
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
How do you guys make your cars so clean then?

Just water with lots of scrubbing then clay bar and wax?

Mitsu3000gt
08-03-2010, 05:16 PM
In every area I travel through regularly, the laws are not enforced. I see the same people washing their cars in their driveway year after year. I think it would have to take a complaint from a neighbor to get you in any trouble, and chances are they do it too so they won't be calling.

Cos
08-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I wash my truck, car, bike with bio degradable soap. Yet to get a ticket.

ExtraSlow
08-03-2010, 05:20 PM
not like you'd get a ticket for your first offense either.

But, why not take it to a nearby wand wash?

The BMW Guy
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
not like you'd get a ticket for your first offense either.

But, why not take it to a nearby wand wash?

No need to waste a few bucks everytime when I have a pressure washer already. And I hate being rushed by people...

Unless I go there at night...but then I still have to clay/wax the car so that still takes a while.

inline6turbo
08-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Search online for Optimum No Rinse if you absolutely must wash at home. But please don't let any get in the sewer. Calgary doesn't treat it and to be ignorant enough to say 'who cares' is shamefull.

Or go to a 24h spray wash place so there's no rush.

Cos
08-03-2010, 06:12 PM
My truck takes me about 20/25 minutes so it is very expensive and the only car wash I like is the shell in crowfoot, I wont go elsewhere, and I dont live near there anymore.

I use bio-degradable soap, meaning it is okay to go down the drain, unless I dont understand what bio-degradable is.

barmanjay
08-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Clean water and micro-fiber cloth

get a fresh bucket of water once it starts looking dirty

2 rags,.. one to wipe on and wipe off, the 2nd to wipe dry

micro-fiber works surprisingly well for the 'in-between' wand wash/car wash trips .

jsn
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I wash mine at a car wash nowadays, but I doubt I'd get a ticket if I washed at home. I've done it on a few occasions and I think I'd have to be pretty unlucky to have a bylaw officer drive by at the same time that I'm washing my car. You'd probably only get caught if your neighbor calls you in.

The_Rural_Juror
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I have never had any complaints about washing my car on my driveway, but then again - the nearest sewer grate is over half a block away.

Optimum No Rinse is great stuff.

Duckman
08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
No. It is illegal to put anything down a storm sewer in the City of Calgary besides water. No biodegradable soap, nothing period. Would you pour it into your aquarium? Same thing as all the storm sewers go straight into the waterways without treatment. Bitch about BP and then turn around and pour crap into the Bow River? Retards, take your heads out of your asses and use a carwash FFS.

jsn
08-04-2010, 01:03 AM
^^ Take it easy there captain planet. We already went over the fact that it is illegal. No need to go on the offensive there.

syritis
08-04-2010, 02:48 AM
a neighbor of mine washes his car every day and there has been many complaints on him. bylaw has talked with him many times and no tickets. he uses a hose thing across the bottom of his drive way to divert the waste water onto is front lawn, apparently they really can't ticket your unless water goes down the storm drain.

ps none of his grass has died. i don't know what soap he uses.

C_Dave45
08-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by syritis
a neighbor of mine washes his car every day and there has been many complaints on him. bylaw has talked with him many times and no tickets. he uses a hose thing across the bottom of his drive way to divert the waste water onto is front lawn, apparently they really can't ticket your unless water goes down the storm drain.

hahaha...good for your neighbour!! :clap:

I really fail to see how some bio soap will "kill all our fish" when, with every rainfall, all the oil, tranny fluid, antifreeze and all the other pollutants that drips off of every single vehicle in Calgary gets washed into that same river. I remember when this whole idea was introduced in BC.... city workers ran around and painted little "fishies" beside every storm drain. Funny...no fish seemed to die off from the previous 50 or 60 years of everyone and their dog washing their cars without a thought of where the wash water was going. I don't buy into the theory at all.

Cos
08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Duckman
No. It is illegal to put anything down a storm sewer in the City of Calgary besides water. No biodegradable soap, nothing period. Would you pour it into your aquarium? Same thing as all the storm sewers go straight into the waterways without treatment. Bitch about BP and then turn around and pour crap into the Bow River? Retards, take your heads out of your asses and use a carwash FFS.

You better not use pesticides or fertilizer on your lawn. You better go and make sure everyone’s cars don’t leak and make sure you give hell to those guys who are in car accidents and are jerk enough to leak anti-freeze or oil all over. You better go and make sure no one throws stuff out their window or flicks cigarette butts out the window.

I think my bio-degradable soap is the least of the rivers concerns.

sneek
08-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by syritis

Soap has phosphorus in it, which is a key ingredient in fertilizer. To the best of my knowledge, it promotes the growth of alge->kills other plants-> removing disolved oxygen. Fish need dissolved oxygen in the water to breath

Xtrema
08-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I rarely used soap unless I came back from a long road trip with bugs and stuff. Then its out to wand wash.

I got warned once by a neighbor using a little bit of soap on some tar/oil I pick up on the road. Nothing come of it tho.

codetrap
08-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Meh.. screw the diverting.. I just put the jetta and the bike onto the lawn and wash them there. That way I lose NO water by using a diverter. As for the neighbors, they're usually either doing the same thing, or sitting in my driveway drinking my beer while I wash and shoot the shit with them.

It's SO worth cultivating good neighbor relationships. The advantages are just ridiculous.

arian_ma
08-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Cos

You better not use pesticides or fertilizer on your lawn. You better go and make sure everyone’s cars don’t leak and make sure you give hell to those guys who are in car accidents and are jerk enough to leak anti-freeze or oil all over. You better go and make sure no one throws stuff out their window or flicks cigarette butts out the window.

I think my bio-degradable soap is the least of the rivers concerns.
Ah man, sorry but I really strongly disagree with this mentality. "He did it, so why can't I??"

It's not about what other assholes do to ruin this place man. I know this won't change shit with what you do but knowingly fucking up the environment when you don't have to is a pretty douche move. Yeah, an accident causes leaks and shit but it's not like the dude woke up in the morning and said "fuck yea I'm going to have an accident and ruin the environment."

Cos
08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Ah man, sorry but I really strongly disagree with this mentality. "He did it, so why can't I??"

It's not about what other assholes do to ruin this place man. I know this won't change shit with what you do but knowingly fucking up the environment when you don't have to is a pretty douche move. Yeah, an accident causes leaks and shit but it's not like the dude woke up in the morning and said "fuck yea I'm going to have an accident and ruin the environment."

No my point is that bio-degradable soap is not harmful to the environment, or at least not compared to the other stuff the city lets you flush down the tubes. Either they need to ban everything on the same level or need to treat the sewer water.

arian_ma
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I think the problem with soap down the drain is that it insinuates huge populations of microscopic animals in the water which take all of the oxygen out of the water and create dead lakes. I thought I read that somewhere.

There's a reason why some laws are in place, they're not just trying to be assholes and make your car look dirty.

urban.one
08-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Biodegradable only means that the soap will break down over time. It can still be poisonous to plants, fish, and animals that are in or near the water.

CapnCrunch
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
No you aren't supposed to wash it, but it's a stupid law.

I wash mine at home all the time. Nobody says anything.

I'm sure the pollution from me driving to the car wash is much worse for the environment that the tiny amount of bio-degradeable soap that actually may find it's way through 8km of storm sewers to get into the river.

Judging by the amount of people in this city who actually wash their cars I'm not too worried about the future of our rivers.

lilmira
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Hamburger is biodegradable, same as rotten meat, vegetable and a lot of household garbage.

CapnCrunch
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Hamburger is biodegradable, same as rotten meat, vegetable and a lot of household garbage.

I bet there's more pollution from garbage in the rivers than there's ever been from car wash soap.

lilmira
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
So because there is garbage in the river already, we shouldn't give a shit? Why even bother trying to justify? Just say you are lazy and cheap, it's not worth the effort to keep the river the way it is. I'm ok with that. At least you will be honest.

CapnCrunch
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
So because there is garbage in the river already, we shouldn't give a shit? Why even bother trying to justify? Just say you are lazy and cheap, it's not worth the effort to keep the river the way it is. I'm ok with that. At least you will be honest.

All I'm saying is that there are much worse things going into the river than soap.

You would do 100 times more by banning morons from changing oil in their driveways, or 1 million times more by controlling farmers fertilizing their fields near rivers.

I'm a bit confused how you determine someone who washes their car is lazy? It takes a lot more work to wash by hand then to spray it for 5 minutes at a car wash.

You are right about me not giving a shit. I know people washing their car won't harm the river. If you actually cared about the river, you'd be down at the river catching soap bubbles and hamburgers, or bitching about farmers instead of wasting the internet talking about car washes and garbage in the river.

lilmira
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

All I'm saying is that there are much worse things going into the river than soap.

You would do 100 times more by banning morons from changing oil in their driveways, or 1 million times more by controlling farmers fertilizing their fields near rivers.

I'm a bit confused how you determine someone who washes their car is lazy? It takes a lot more work to wash by hand then to spray it for 5 minutes at a car wash.

You are right about me not giving a shit. I know people washing their car won't harm the river. If you actually cared about the river, you'd be down at the river catching soap bubbles and hamburgers, or bitching about farmers instead of wasting the internet talking about car washes and garbage in the river.

Don't even bring out the the motor oil and fertilizers, that's not what we are discussing here. It just sounds like a poor excuse. It's like the kid trying to justify stealing a chocolate bar by comparing it to murder. It's not the worst, so it must be ok?

I won't bother phoning the city if I see anyone doing it, same as me seeing anyone littering. But don't try to come up with some poor excuse. Just admit it, you don't give a shit. I think we have an agreement there. Don't even bother with more argument cause you have none.

I never say that you can't wash your car or do oil change on your driveway. Just do your best to not dump any shit into the water system. It isn't that hard. I take my car to the carwash in the middle of the night quite often so that no one would bother me when I'm taking my sweet ass time. There is alternative, it may not be as convenient and cheap as doing it on your driveway, hence my point, lazy and cheap.

Cos
08-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I think a lot of us dont agree with the law as all it seems to promote is people having to spend money at a car wash. Outlaw what people can do at home so that a business can profit.

If they banned everything that was as dangerous as bio car soap then I dont think as many people would argue with it. If they came out and said anything going down the drain that did x, y, and or z and banned it, I think there would be a lot less confusion and also a lot more people who listened to it.

I have yet to see them really try and protect the river or sewers (especially off work sites) so it makes me wonder what the bylaw is really all about..... I think it is $$$$

lilmira
08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
They don't enforce it because most people don't do it. I agree that low percentage of people doing it here and there probably won't be much of a deal. Imagine if they get rid of the bylaw and everyone starts running soap into the storm system, I bet you that the river won't be the same.

Cos
08-04-2010, 03:50 PM
They don't enforce it because most people don't do it. I agree that low percentage of people doing it here and there probably won't be much of a deal. Imagine if they get rid of the bylaw and everyone starts running soap into the storm system, I bet you that the river won't be the same.

I am not talking about enforcement, I am talking about why there is even a bylaw about it that only covers washing cars. Didnt the city strike down a pesticide motion last year because although the pesticides are going down the drain they werent seen as significant.

Like I said I see the bylaw as either the outcome of car wash owners lobbying or some pissed off NIMBY (Druh... cough) not liking her neighbor out on a Saturday afternoon washing his Porsche listening to music and drinking beer.

I just do not see how you can ban car wash soap and allow pesticides.

lilmira
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I am not talking about enforcement, I am talking about why there is even a bylaw about it that only covers washing cars. Didnt the city strike down a pesticide motion last year because although the pesticides are going down the drain they werent seen as significant.

Like I said I see the bylaw as either the outcome of car wash owners lobbying or some pissed off NIMBY (Druh... cough) not liking her neighbor out on a Saturday afternoon washing his Porsche listening to music and drinking beer.

I just do not see how you can ban car wash soap and allow pesticides.

Technically, you can't dump pesticide into storm drain neither and the bylaw never says no car wash on driveway.

Cos
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Technically, you can't dump pesticide into storm drain neither and the bylaw never says no car wash on driveway.

Okay what? I am confused then.... what the hell are we talking about.

lilmira
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
No soap :poosie: .

Shlade
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Go to a car wash.... :dunno:

California Squeegie, some microfibre towels...

take the car home use Maguiers quick detailer spray.. Walah...

Your car looks show quality.

arian_ma
08-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Walah
voila

CapnCrunch
08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Don't even bring out the the motor oil and fertilizers, that's not what we are discussing here. It just sounds like a poor excuse. It's like the kid trying to justify stealing a chocolate bar by comparing it to murder. It's not the worst, so it must be ok?

I won't bother phoning the city if I see anyone doing it, same as me seeing anyone littering. But don't try to come up with some poor excuse. Just admit it, you don't give a shit. I think we have an agreement there. Don't even bother with more argument cause you have none.

I never say that you can't wash your car or do oil change on your driveway. Just do your best to not dump any shit into the water system. It isn't that hard. I take my car to the carwash in the middle of the night quite often so that no one would bother me when I'm taking my sweet ass time. There is alternative, it may not be as convenient and cheap as doing it on your driveway, hence my point, lazy and cheap.

Motor oil and fertilizers are what we're discussing. And you're right, I don't give a shit about soap that doesn't have a chance in hell at getting into the river.

If you think it's a poor excuse, then thats great. Why are you even arguing with me then? Obviously you're superior to me due to your car washing practices.

Maybe you should go rappel off of the Calgary tower to bring this horrible injustice into the light?

C_Dave45
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
^ hahaha. Nice one.

bmw63
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM

voila

why would you say "voila" if you don't know what he was trying to say. He could of been trying to say something else. Like are you stupid or something? i'm just curious. Are you slow in the head or just straight up an idiot. No offense. :banghead:

rx7_turbo2
08-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I'll say it.

I don't give a fuck!

I wash mine on the driveway watch the suds flow onto city property and flow without restriction down the drain at the end of the street. Couldnt care less. Feel free to give me some lecture, I will care equally about that.

sneek
08-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I think the problem with soap down the drain is that it insinuates huge populations of microscopic animals in the water which take all of the oxygen out of the water and create dead lakes. I thought I read that somewhere.

There's a reason why some laws are in place, they're not just trying to be assholes and make your car look dirty.

Good to see that someone in this thread has completed bio 30!

Mega fail on many other peoples parts. Another thing is that when you are washing your car, all of the crap that is on your car ends up in the sewer system.

Brake dust, all the minor leaks your car has, all directly into an untreated water system. When you go to a car wash you are washing it into a proper drain. If you want to wash your car at home get a drain in your garage...

Cos
08-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by sneek
All of the crap that is on your car ends up in the sewer system.

Brake dust, all the minor leaks your car has, all directly into an untreated water system. When you go to a car wash you are washing it into a proper drain. If you want to wash your car at home get a drain in your garage...

So what about when it rains and runs the dirt off the streets and runs the crap off my car. May want to re-think your example.

calgary403
08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I guess i'll say it. Why doesn't the city start treating the water instead of passing bylaws restricting people from washing their cars?

sneek
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Cos

So what about when it rains and runs the dirt off the streets and runs the crap off my car. May want to re-think your example.

But you can't stop the rain...you can stop washing your car on your driveway-at least without a collection system. Even if you use a hose to divert all the water it is a heck of a lot better than nothing at all.

It is like this-Cars will always leak ATF/Oil/brake fuild, and naturally all of that will be flushed into the river by rain water. It is just that you aren't compounding the problem by washing it off with a pressure washer.

Personally, I don't really care if you wash your car in your driveway or not. It is really none of my business, and I am not captain green. What I am saying is that people should just understand what you are doing. Smokers will smoke even if they know it is bad for them. I highly doubt some online posts in the interwebz will stop people from doing what they are doing if they already know the consequences.

Scuderia
08-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by bmw63

why would you say "voila" if you don't know what he was trying to say. He could of been trying to say something else. Like are you stupid or something? i'm just curious. Are you slow in the head or just straight up an idiot. No offense. :banghead:

:confused:
I never thought I'd have to use "look who's talking" past the age of 12.. Congrats bud.

Ven
08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by bmw63

Main Entry: voi·là
Variant(s): or voi·la \vwä-ˈlä\
Function: interjection
Etymology: French, literally, see there
Date: 1739
—used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic

:poosie: :D :drama:

calgary403
08-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Ven

Main Entry: voi·là
Variant(s): or voi·la \vwä-ˈlä\
Function: interjection
Etymology: French, literally, see there
Date: 1739
—used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic

:poosie: :D :drama:

But he said Wallah. It means I swear to God. It's a completely different word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallah_(Arabic)

Nissan_Fanboy
08-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Is my piss bio-degradiable?
Will i get a ticket if i piss in the drain ?

Melinda
08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
Is my piss bio-degradiable?
Will i get a ticket if i piss in the drain ?
Hmm I believe there is a bylaw against public urination. Why is that relevant to this argument though? Planning on washing your car with your dick?

Ven
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

But he said Wallah. It means I swear to God. It's a completely different word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallah_(Arabic)

I guess we'll never know since he spelled it Walah. Well Shlade, what is it? Not that it matters haha.

oooh lighting outside!

Ven
08-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Hmm I believe there is a bylaw against public urination. Why is that relevant to this argument though? Planning on washing your car with your dick?

Can't recommend it. I'll never do it again. YMMV

rx7_turbo2
08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Up until this point my fetish for all things pee only included women, thank you for expanding my horizons!

Enviromentally dangerous suds, the delicate glint of an oily rainbow in the water, and my hot piss, right down the drain totally untreated! Now that's something a guy could get off on!

frizzlefry
08-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I use water and these awesome wash mitts that are covered in microfibre "dreadlocks" (got em at Canadian tire). One to wash, one to dry. Then I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer or Meguiar's Quik Wax to shine the finish. Looks awesome.

2EFNFAST
08-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Go to a car wash.... :dunno:

California Squeegie, some microfibre towels...

take the car home use Maguiers quick detailer spray.. Walah...

Your car looks show quality.

Except for the micromarring (Swirls, etc...) you'll induce :nut:

You need some form of agitation (i.e., rubbing) to thoroughly remove all dirt before you can touch the clear with your drying medium. You can blast it all day long with a pressure washer and soap, but you won't remove all the residual dirt that can cause marring. If you just spray it down, drive out, and dry...don't want to think of the marring :/ (and I don't think any place, or anybody would want to, will let you bring your own buckets and wash medium in and sit there for an hour washing it)

also, qd should really only be used post-wash to remove water spotting and provide lubrication on your drying mediums. Driving around, then qd'ing your car is a good way to induce marring.

eblend
08-09-2010, 02:53 AM
I am confused...can I just wash my car with just water? I used to wash my car with just water at my parents place until the condo board said no more, but now that I own a house I was planning to wash in the back alley. Is just water okay? I never use the soap, just scrub it with water and a brush.

lilmira
08-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes you can assuming that your car is not covered with excessive mud and dirt like you just came back from offroading.

CapnCrunch
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by sneek

. Another thing is that when you are washing your car, all of the crap that is on your car ends up in the sewer system.

All the crap on my car comes from the streets.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM

[Yu]
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM

All the crap on my car comes from the streets.

If you were able to read that far into the thread, it was only a few posts down that he explains why there is a difference....

Just because its from the streets, or dirt roads, or what have you, does not mean all of it will be going down the drain. But if you wash all of it off from your driveway, it will basically be guaranteed to go down the sewer....

Toma
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
It's funny... same idiots here that obliviously agree with stupid non sense, without reason traffic laws, are on here whining about this bylaw which makes sense, has a definite impact on our rivers natural flora.

And I wash my car at a wand wash. It costs me between 2 and $3. how the hell some of you spend $30 is beyond me.

I even own a pressure washer and have a shop with a drain that I CAN wash into, and for under $5, its just way more convenient to hit the Centex on Centre street.

Takes me 5 to 10 minutes per car, and usually even use their blow dryer to dry it to save time shamying and crap.

Unknown303
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Toma
It's funny... same idiots here that obliviously agree with stupid non sense, without reason traffic laws, are on here whining about this bylaw which makes sense, has a definite impact on our rivers natural flora.

And I wash my car at a wand wash. It costs me between 2 and $3. how the hell some of you spend $30 is beyond me.

I even own a pressure washer and have a shop with a drain that I CAN wash into, and for under $5, its just way more convenient to hit the Centex on Centre street.

Takes me 5 to 10 minutes per car, and usually even use their blow dryer to dry it to save time shamying and crap.

That Centex north on centre street is legendary. I washed my Jeep after offroading and even with crawling around underneath spraying everything off 2-3 times I rarely if ever have went over 10 dollars. This last time I really put some effort into washing it off and it as 7.30 or something like that.

Toma
08-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

That Centex north on centre street is legendary. I washed my Jeep after offroading and even with crawling around underneath spraying everything off 2-3 times I rarely if ever have went over 10 dollars. This last time I really put some effort into washing it off and it as 7.30 or something like that.
LOL... there are a couple other good ones, but yeah, it rules cause you can use a CC, and it show you TIME LEFT for your cash.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2010, 10:42 AM

lilmira
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah, Centex is the best in town that I know of. $4 for over 6min and it's pretty quick switching soap/rinse unlike some other ones. It's usually a must stop before heading home after a late night.

By the way, has anyone successfully used the underwash there?

ExtraSlow
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I think the underwash is broken.

2EFNFAST
08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by eblend
I am confused...can I just wash my car with just water? I used to wash my car with just water at my parents place until the condo board said no more, but now that I own a house I was planning to wash in the back alley. Is just water okay? I never use the soap, just scrub it with water and a brush.

You can, but you will marr the hell out of your clearcoat.

It doesn't if you believe in newschool or oldschool, you either need

-some type of emulsificaiton/encapsulation agent in the water (E.g., ONR)

-some type of soap to add lubricity

Otherwise you're just dragging the dirt (whether heavy or light) all over your clear

msommers
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the Centex. The car wash by my place takes far too long to switch from soap to rinse. Plus I don't have to fuck around with change!

I don't understand how some of you wash your vehicle with just water. Sounds like a recipe to destroy your clearcoat.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Unknown303
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I have never heard of this being a concern before, wouldn't a clear coat be able to stand up to rain?

I highly doubt vehicles are designed to hold up to normal weather conditions...

lilmira
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Even with soap, you can't really wash off all the dirt and grime anyways without claying. Just don't use too much force when drying the car with towel or whatever cloth you are using. I try not to drag the towel as much as possible. It's part of owning a car, you do as much as you can to minimize wear and tear but it will never look the same as the day you drove it away from the dealership.

2EFNFAST
08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I have never heard of this being a concern before, wouldn't a clear coat be able to stand up to rain?

By destroy I think (hope) she means marring and scratching it to hell.

You know, like this:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/980/medium/c-pillar_swirls.jpg

Even with soap, you can't really wash off all the dirt and grime anyways without claying.

I'd hate to see what type of environments you're driving through! You should only have to clay once a year, and even then most of the embedded stuff it picks up won't effect washing/drying

Toma
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I dont touch my paint with brushes/clay.

High pressure soap wand, then high pressure rinse, then blow dry..... gets it clean.

Clay is a recent fad. Once a year, if you like your car, use something like Mothers pre wax cleaner, then a pure carnuba wax, I usually hand rub the wax in.

But I dont give a shit about most my vehicles.... so I dont even do anything but spray wax em once a year. Calgary's shit dirty/gravel infested roads make the effort seem silly.

Toma
08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Thanks for the heads up about the Centex. The car wash by my place takes far too long to switch from soap to rinse. Plus I don't have to fuck around with change!

I don't understand how some of you wash your vehicle with just water. Sounds like a recipe to destroy your clearcoat.
Totally... plus with a credit card, it charges you exact time... no wasting a part of that 1:30 lol

Toma
08-09-2010, 12:33 PM

By the way, has anyone successfully used the underwash there?
Works fine for me, but it's not very powerful, and you need to put the loonie in the separate box for it to work.

I guess it's better than nothing.

Just make sure you are parked over the jets, and your friend is not standing over them when you put the cash in :rofl:

lilmira
08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I'd hate to see what type of environments you're driving through! You should only have to clay once a year, and even then most of the embedded stuff it picks up won't effect washing/drying

That's not what i meant. What I'm saying is that when you drag your towel across panels, it may pick up whatever is left on the surface which causes marring and scratching. So don't wipe too hard. I see people do it all the time wiping the car like there is no tomorrow.

lilmira
08-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Just make sure you are parked over the jets, and your friend is not standing over them when you put the cash in :rofl:

This I need to try lol.

msommers
08-09-2010, 12:59 PM

By destroy I think (hope) she means marring and scratching it to hell.

You know, like this:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/980/medium/c-pillar_swirls.jpg

That exactly what I meant. There is still going to be dirt on the vehicle if you're just using pressurized water. Then to hand dry it after that...eesh.

haha and not a she either.

CapnCrunch
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM

If you can't tell the difference between a car washed with a wand/ pressure washer and one thats been hand washed, maybe you aren't the expert you think you are?

Wand washing looks like shit and leaves a film of dirt on my vehicles that I can definitely notice.

CapnCrunch
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]

If you were able to read that far into the thread, it was only a few posts down that he explains why there is a difference....

Just because its from the streets, or dirt roads, or what have you, does not mean all of it will be going down the drain. But if you wash all of it off from your driveway, it will basically be guaranteed to go down the sewer....

Okay brotato.

Car wash party at my place tonight.

Unknown303
08-09-2010, 03:11 PM

That exactly what I meant. There is still going to be dirt on the vehicle if you're just using pressurized water. Then to hand dry it after that...eesh.

You are totally a she. :rofl:

Toma
08-09-2010, 03:13 PM

If you can't tell the difference between a car washed with a wand/ pressure washer and one thats been hand washed, maybe you aren't the expert you think you are?

Wand washing looks like shit and leaves a film of dirt on my vehicles that I can definitely notice.
Who said I was an expert?

There are only 2 things I am an expert at, and washing cars is not one of them.

If you are anal retentive enough to "see" a difference in your wash 2 days later on Calgary streets... well, they have medication for that condition.

frizzlefry
08-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Otherwise you're just dragging the dirt (whether heavy or light) all over your clear

I thought the biggest factor was using a wash mitt (NOT A TOWEL) that can lift the dirt off the clearcoat so it won't scratch. Do one panel at a time, the spray the grime off the mitt. This is what I use, works pretty good.

http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIC_493

I got my car cut polished and waxed at Refine (bought it used, previous owner left swirls, dealership did lousy wax job) and it looked mint afterwards. Since then, I use that mitt, one to wash one to dry and so far its pretty good...I would say some light spider webbing is almost inevitable if you hand wash but its the only way to get it really clean. I would imagine that ONR counts as shampoo under the bylaw right?

frizzlefry
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I looked up some reviews on ONR....just bought some. Looks like awesome stuff.

2EFNFAST
08-09-2010, 09:55 PM

sorry, I meant he, not she, typo!

but you're dead right abotu that - I can't help but watch, out of sheer morbid fascination, these people driving these big black Escalades (or whatnot) in, spend $2 to wash it, then pull it out and get out some towels/paper towels and start rubbing it dry.

It just boggles the mind....although maybe not, because most people look at you like you have 3 heads if you start talking about micromarring .... what, you mean swirls arn't a sign that your paint hasn't been taken care of properly!

Originally posted by frizzlefry

I thought the biggest factor was using a wash mitt (NOT A TOWEL) that can lift the dirt off the clearcoat so it won't scratch. Do one panel at a time, the spray the grime off the mitt. This is what I use, works pretty good.

http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIC_493

I got my car cut polished and waxed at Refine (bought it used, previous owner left swirls, dealership did lousy wax job) and it looked mint afterwards. Since then, I use that mitt, one to wash one to dry and so far its pretty good...I would say some light spider webbing is almost inevitable if you hand wash but its the only way to get it really clean. I would imagine that ONR counts as shampoo under the bylaw right?

I have no idea what ONR counts as, but they could probably nail you on the runoff issue (even though it is environmentally friendly)

If you have ANY marring (spider webbing) that means your washing technique DOES NOT work. Sure, light marring is better than heavy marring, but it's still just as bad. It's been, for example, 2yrs since I last polished my z06 and I honestly cant find any marring on it when the sun hits it directly.

The fact is, whenever you touch your vehicle your risk marring it - 95% of 'damage' occurs during washing.

This is basically how I do completely marr-free wash

-spray with pressure washer (~2.2gpm, <2500psi, 65* nozzel (or maybe it's 45*, I forget, it's the highest one) to remove heavy dirt

-mix ONR solution (1.5oz to 3gal)

-I use a blue cookie monster microfiber (from eshine) for the initial pass (since it picks up dirt the best and rinses easily), then a purple cobra jr microfiber cloths (from autogeek) for the second pass.

-I'll go roof, trunk, rear quarter panels, bumper, hood, doors, front fenders, front bumper. Basically I'll take the panel, use the blue mf and go back and forth two or three times. Then I'll use the purple mf and do a final pass of the area.

-After last pass, I'll BLOT it dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel (I've found waffle weaves excellent for blotting, but tend to leave marring if you try to dry with them in anything but a blotting motion). After blotting I'll spray some quick detailer (m135 - i buy it by the gallon) onto the panel, then use another blue mf to buff it, then another purple mf to remove any residue from the qd. This removes any water spots left behind

-Move onto next panel

Entire car (e.g., z06) takes me 1 to 1 1/2hrs to do, but marr-free.

I could NEVER wash completely marr-free using the old soap&water method. It's very hard. However, ever since using ONR washing has been a dream and perfect - ONR basically grabs the dirt and encapsulates it (protects the clearcoat from it), then emulsifies it.

However, the one downside is it REALLY traps the dirt in the cloth, such that every 2-3washes you want to wash out your mfs with some microfiber cleaner (I like microfiber restore from eshine) to get out the grime. The good news though is taht grim won't marr up your clear unless you let it get really bad in the mitt. ONR really does work well.

crez
08-10-2010, 12:00 AM
So....what I'm gathering is that this whole washing your car at home with soap is bad and that you should go to the car wash. What are you washing your car with at the car wash? Magic soap? Not sure how that could be any better.

It's always nice to have a clean car, but enough is enough, I don't think I'm willing to spend up to 2 hours a week on it, and all the money to buy fancy product at home for it either, that's a lot of time and care. I guess I dont' find myself as meticulous about my car as some other people.

2EFNFAST
08-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by crez
So....what I'm gathering is that this whole washing your car at home with soap is bad and that you should go to the car wash. What are you washing your car with at the car wash? Magic soap? Not sure how that could be any better.

It's always nice to have a clean car, but enough is enough, I don't think I'm willing to spend up to 2 hours a week on it, and all the money to buy fancy product at home for it either, that's a lot of time and care. I guess I dont' find myself as meticulous about my car as some other people.

There's nothing bad with washing at home - it has to do with the run-off (by-law). In a car-wash they generally catch most of the run-off and dispose of it.

To wash a car marr free does take some time. I usually spend 60 to 90minutes everytime I wash, and that's moving quickly after having developed my wash technique. However, there's a reason 99% of cars out there look like shit in direct sunlight.

rx7_turbo2
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Lots of good points made here!

Still don't give a fuck. Suds down the drain till they stop me from doing it on my own property. Hopefully they come the same day I'm draining my hot tub down the storm drain, maybe combine it into one ticket, I'd hate to waste paper, I care about the trees!

frizzlefry
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
http://blog.gabefrost.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/eddie.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2010, 03:15 AM
How in the world are some of you spending $20 to $30 at the car wash???

Kloubek
08-11-2010, 04:30 AM
they have medication for that condition.

They have meds for anal retentiveness? I think they shoudl be passed out like candy then. Or... maybe it already is, and its called "weed".

RX7turbo2: Are you serious? There are good reasons why we don't want that shit ending up in our storm drains, and you want to buck the system because you just don't feel like following a rule? Hey Toma... so they have a "stop being an asshole" pill too?

Toma
08-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

They have meds for anal retentiveness?

Yep, they sure do. In fact, there is a whole spectrum of them for the analy inclined.

Talk to your doctor about it if you wipe your ass, or your car, more than 37 times in one sitting.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2010, 08:21 AM
so 36 is still ok? Phew!

codetrap
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM

There's nothing bad with washing at home - it has to do with the run-off (by-law). In a car-wash they generally catch most of the run-off and dispose of it.

I just read up on the bylaw on this. They drain the car washes into the same sewer your toilet goes into, but they have to filter out the larger crud first.

As for washing my car, screw the bylaw and bad neighbors. I'll wash my car on the lawn thank you very much, and recycle my water 100%, and fertilize the lawn at the same time.

Bylaw can kiss my ass if they try to issue me a ticket when there's no water on the street. :D

lilmira
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

I just read up on the bylaw on this. They drain the car washes into the same sewer your toilet goes into, but they have to filter out the larger crud first.

As for washing my car, screw the bylaw and bad neighbors. I'll wash my car on the lawn thank you very much, and recycle my water 100%, and fertilize the lawn at the same time.

Bylaw can kiss my ass if they try to issue me a ticket when there's no water on the street. :D

Sanitary sewer goes to treatment plant, storm sewer is completely untreated, they are not the same system.

If you have no runoff into the storm sewer, you are not affecting the river at all.

eblend
08-11-2010, 05:25 PM

I never just wash right away, I spray the whole car first so that it is all wet by the time I actually come around to rubbing it with a brush. This breaks down the dirt and makes it soft. Never had clearcoat issues on my cars...dunnno :dunno: