PDA

View Full Version : This is just getting ridiculous.

Pages : [1] 2

vengie
08-03-2010, 10:57 PM
**DISCLAIMER**

This will be a CPS rant, if you do not wish to read then don't comment.

I was driving down Anderson in the south, stopped at a light at the intersection of Bonaventure drive and Anderson road.
A Police cruiser was right next to me, he looked at me and I gave him a smile and a friendly nod (I have a CPS application I will be handing in as soon as they figure out this shortage). Anyways the light turns green and IMMEDIATELY his lights go on and he pulls in behind me. Comes up to my window and demands nothing but my license, so I hand it to him. 5 minutes later he comes back and hands me a ticket for "widened exhaust" which I do agree it is widened, I won't complain about the ticket. I say thank you and go on my way.

I look in my rearview mirror not even 500yds down the road and guess who is following me?! you guessed it, the same officer who had just moments before pulled me over (so be it!). I carry on my way down deerfoot cruise control going 105km/h with this officer literally 10 feet from my bumper... I was not even going fast enough to keep up with the flow of traffic, but he stayed right with me while cars flew past... He then very aggressively pulls out from behind me and pulls another motorist over (far left lane) nearly causing a pile up... I didn't know ticket revenue was worth more to the police than public safety.

I am just sick and tired of the blatant harassment from CPS on the motor sport crowd, and to blatantly follow me for nearly 5km down deerfoot mere feet off my rear bumper is outrageous. I mean while I was pulled over there was a man on a Harley who FLEW past us loud as ever, the officer even stopped talking for a moment...

Anyways just had to get out my frustration...

Coles notes:

- Pulled over by officer, whether my smile and nod pissed him off who knows.
- Given ticket for widened exhaust (so-be-it)
- Officer then follows me feet off bumper for nearly 5km down deerfoot while other cars flew by.
- He very aggressively pulled over another motorist from the far left lane nearly causing a pile up.
- I am sitting here venting.

Modelexis
08-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear that my brother!
STI's sound amazing with an aftermarket exhaust.

Can I suggest that you re-think your police application?

crazy_gt
08-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Do you drive a blue wrx with a for sale sign on the rear window? i was behind u on anderson road.

vengie
08-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by crazy_gt
Do you drive a blue wrx with a for sale sign on the rear window? i was behind u on anderson road.

aha yes that was me, on my way to the airport to pick up my father. Black 4dr SI?

crazy_gt
08-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by vengie

aha yes that was me. Black 4dr SI?

yea that was me, i was like why the f he pulled u over. lucky that he didn't see me, i got front tint and widened exhaust, and i got a few past due ticket. cops in that are are assholes:whipped:

idioteque
08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

yea that was me, i was like why the f he pulled u over. lucky that he didn't see me, i got front tint and widened exhaust, and i got a few past due ticket. cops in that are are assholes:whipped:

So the cops are assholes because you have an illegally modified car and overdue tickets?

frizzlefry
08-03-2010, 11:22 PM
ticket revenue IS worth more than public safety. That’s why I run jammers with a V1. Drop your application. You don't want to be associated with High School football failed C avg goons.

crazy_gt
08-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by idioteque

So the cops are assholes because you have an illegally modified car and overdue tickets?

they pilled over a few of my friends(stock rides) for nothing, and keeps following them after they couldn't ticket them.

idioteque
08-03-2010, 11:29 PM

they pilled over a few of my friends(stock rides) for nothing, and keeps following them after they couldn't ticket them.

I hear ya man, the police definitely do profile people. Unfortunately, groups of younger males in (modded) cars fit the profile of rowdy trouble making kids.

When I was a teenager I definitely felt hassled by the police... That said, my friends and I looked and acted like punk-asses, and were often driving around in cars with weed and paraphernalia, etc. We weren't really causing any trouble, but we weren't being the most responsible people either. In retrospect, we were pretty much asking for trouble. I'm guessing the reason I don't get hassled anymore is because I've grown up and started acting like an adult instead of a punk-ass teenager or early 20-something.

thrasher22
08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
If he wrote you a ticket, you have his info. File a complaint.

vengie
08-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I'm guessing the reason I don't get hassled anymore is because I've grown up and started acting like an adult instead of a punk-ass teenager or early 20-something.

I really hope you are referring to yourself with this statement...

riceeater
08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
I got pulled over TWICE by cops who were sitting on the side of the road waiting for speeders. Same deal both times, i was doing speed limit because i knew they were in those areas usually, and both felt it was important enough to follow from a short distance back for a few miles waiting for me to speed up, then swooping in for a fast kill lights flashing and tailgaiting :) ok... What did i do? Front window tint :) sure whatever, but was it really worth it to do that? Some cops are just douches on power trips and there's nothing you can do, but hopefully you get someone just as anal when YOU need the cops for help :nut:

Jetta-2.0
08-03-2010, 11:58 PM
while he was driving so close behind you why didnt u slam on ur breaks?

This shit reminds me of this one time.

It was 2 days ago, I pulled in to max to grab a slurpee on 17 ave. As I left, I came to a 4 way stop sign, I saw a car on my left and he stoped before I did and behind that guy was a cop car, so my fiance tells me do a FULL STOP!!! so any ways i do a full stop and the guy that stoped before me went on his way, when he passed my car and my turn came to go, I press on the gas as my right of why when i see the cop started to go as well i looked at him and was like WTF if i had stoped he would of T boned me right on my door so i slow down but didnt stop and this he did this jester with his hand...

The Moral of this story is just because hes a COP doesnt mean im going to let him take my turn first :clap: dumb ass cop :whipped:

vengie
08-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
while he was driving so close behind you why didnt u slam on ur breaks?

Because my car is my baby and I treat it as such, I do not want someone to rear end me.

jutes
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
What exhaust, just a cat-back or full TBE?

vengie
08-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by jutes
What exhaust, just a cat-back or full TBE?

Full TBE, its a stage 2 STI, HKS hi-power catback with a godspeed DP.

CUG
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM

So the cops are assholes because you have an illegally modified car and overdue tickets? That's so hack it's not even funny. Guy's on a fucking ticketing rage.

Jetta-2.0
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Because my car is my baby and I treat it as such, I do not want someone to rear end me.

dont u have the car for sale? lol easy way to get paid

se7en
08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
police police police. I was driving through your grand city they call Calgary. I was ~3-5kms over the limit. I came over the hill on 16th ave to the #2 highway turnoff dip, and found cops on the shoulder of the road.

Not a big deal, except I was passing a guy at that moment, and pulled just slightly to the left side of the lane. I ALMOST got 20 points or more for mowing down two cops.

I don't understand why they have to risk themselves and me to try to generate revenue. Oh, and to boot, they waved for me to slow down lol. 3-5kms over is perfectly legal I think, and yes, I do have my speedo correctly calibrated.(I have checked numerous speed sign thingy's(the things that show your speed, and flash if you're speeding) and they show exactly what my speedo shows.

Sounds like Darwinism at it's finest lol.

One more thing before I am finished my rant. Do the Calgary police have a new 'band' that they scan for speeders with? my passport x50 8500 didn't pick up a thing.

tobypaddock
08-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Can I suggest that you re-think your police application?
This

Originally posted by frizzlefry
Drop your application. You don't want to be associated with High School football failed C avg goons.
also this

Boat
08-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I was heading onto memorial east from downtown 5th ave, two lanes to exit off. I was in the left. cop was in the right.

Cop sees a jaywalker on memorial and 5th , throws on his flashers, cuts right infront of me and slams on the brakes. I have to hit the brakes, weave around him. Then he peels out back onto memorial east.

GG

maxomilll
08-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by se7en
police police police. I was driving through your grand city they call Calgary. I was ~3-5kms over the limit. I came over the hill on 16th ave to the #2 highway turnoff dip, and found cops on the shoulder of the road.

Not a big deal, except I was passing a guy at that moment, and pulled just slightly to the left side of the lane. I ALMOST got 20 points or more for mowing down two cops.

I don't understand why they have to risk themselves and me to try to generate revenue. Oh, and to boot, they waved for me to slow down lol. 3-5kms over is perfectly legal I think, and yes, I do have my speedo correctly calibrated.(I have checked numerous speed sign thingy's(the things that show your speed, and flash if you're speeding) and they show exactly what my speedo shows.

Sounds like Darwinism at it's finest lol.

One more thing before I am finished my rant. Do the Calgary police have a new 'band' that they scan for speeders with? my passport x50 8500 didn't pick up a thing.

Darwinism for sure. I was driving down crowchild in the far left lane, and got caught in a speed trap. Yes I was speeding but the cop comes franticly running on to the road right in front of me from the far right lane waving his stupid orange stick, there was two cars behind me taking up the middle and far right lane. I had to swerve to avoid killing the officer, check distance to not collide with the cars behind me and not crash into his truck parked just off the right lane. He actually waited in the far left lane for the cars to pass before he proceeded to run back to the side of the road where I parked.

all this, he could have just waved me down civilly like a normal officer and I would have pulled over just up ahead.

Tik-Tok
08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
3-5kms over is perfectly legal I think,

:rofl:

se7en
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
;) there is a 7% variance in tires, and the law deals with that accordingly.

Tik-Tok
08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
;) there is a 7% variance in tires, and the law deals with that accordingly.

Maybe in court, but the officers can and will ticket you for anything over the limit. It's up to you to prove otherwise to a judge.

Benny
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Maybe in court, but the officers can and will ticket you for anything over the limit. It's up to you to prove otherwise to a judge.

Truth. I had always heard to abide by the '10 over' rule and you won't get a ticket, but one day I was in the registry and there was a lady paying a ticket she got while going 1km over the speed limit.

Lex350
08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
See the thing that gets me these days is the attitude of police. When was in my twenties and even just back as far as 5 years ago cops used discretion. They might pull you over for 10 kms over but they would talk to you and try to figure you out. If your paperwork checked out and you weren’t a dick they would just tell you to slow down and let you on your way. Police interacted with people. Now all they do is look for the revenue. It has nothing to do with safer roads in so many cases.

I think the worst thing now is the attitude some of these cops have. So disrespectful. Fine give me a ticket but don’t act like a power tripping asshole.

frizzlefry
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
See the thing that gets me these days is the attitude of police. When was in my twenties and even just back as far as 5 years ago cops used discretion. They might pull you over for 10 kms over but they would talk to you and try to figure you out. If your paperwork checked out and you weren’t a dick they would just tell you to slow down and let you on your way. Police interacted with people. Now all they do is look for the revenue. It has nothing to do with safer roads in so many cases.

I think the worst thing now is the attitude some of these cops have. So disrespectful. Fine give me a ticket but don’t act like a power tripping asshole.

But the pay sucks. Being able to act like an all mighty dick is one of the job perks. There would be more that 50% fewer applicants if the cops had to act all fair and nice.

JustGo
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh hooray, another thread to paint all CPS members with the same brush.

Gather round everyone... it's pile-on time. :rolleyes:

arian_ma
08-04-2010, 11:47 AM
lmfao, 1 km over the limit? They should issue a single bullet and the address of the ticketing officer in return for your money.

Edit: ^^ hey man, if you've got a great experience, share it. We're all just sharing our experiences here.

frizzlefry
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by JustGo

Not all are bad of course. My boss has a pretty dark tint job on his car and got pulled over for it. The cop said they pull over cars with illegal tint jobs because it often leads to them finding gang members with outstanding warrents. He issued him a warning and said be carefull when driving in norther alberta, the RCMP would just rip the tint off at the side of the road. So thats a good one.

idioteque
08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CUG
That's so hack it's not even funny. Guy's on a fucking ticketing rage.

What a terrible cast.

vengie
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Not what I am doing with this thread... This thread is my own personal account of the constant trend I have been noticing from the majority of CPS officers. If you read the OP I have an application I am waiting to hand in, there is no bashing, but you as an officer cant say these officers are in the right and one major problem is there is not a whole lot I, as a civilian can do to stop it. Sure I can talk to the officer, but if I show any sort of offensive wording towards them they will get very defensive and "Make my life hell", I don't have time to deal with ignorant officers as usually when I am driving I have somewhere to be and would like to be on time. I have honestly only ran into one CPS officer who had a head on his shoulders in the 4 years I have been driving, and I have been pulled over numerous times due to a "check up" due to age v.s the cars I have driven.

Wrinkly
08-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Go ahead with your app, be a decent cop and make a change for the better! :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Go ahead with your app, be a decent cop and make a change for the better! :thumbsup:

Even the nicest person (officer), will turn into a complete asshole when his boss is breathing down his neck on a daily basis to make the company (city) more profit. Especially knowing there's job layoffs on the line if they don't.

JustGo
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Not what I am doing with this thread... This thread is my own personal account of the constant trend I have been noticing from the majority of CPS officers. If you read the OP I have an application I am waiting to hand in, there is no bashing, but you as an officer cant say these officers are in the right and one major problem is there is not a whole lot I, as a civilian can do to stop it. Sure I can talk to the officer, but if I show any sort of offensive wording towards them they will get very defensive and "Make my life hell", I don't have time to deal with ignorant officers as usually when I am driving I have somewhere to be and would like to be on time. I have honestly only ran into one CPS officer who had a head on his shoulders in the 4 years I have been driving, and I have been pulled over numerous times due to a "check up" due to age v.s the cars I have driven.
I realize that's not your intention with starting this thread, however, that's certainly what it will turn into. You post one bad experience, and the trolls come out of the woodwork to blast off about 'high school educations' and 'power trips'. That's just the way these threads roll.

As far as you putting in an application, don't let the one rubber cop deter you. I got a speeding ticket for 65 in a 60 zone the week before my interview. I told him and all he said was 'make sure you let your recruiting officer know about this before hand, then...'

I could have just thrown my hands up and thought all cops are dicks. That's easy.

Now that I've been on the job for a while, I have realized the guy that gave me that ticket isn't very well liked - for obvious reasons.

Am I going to stop shopping at Walmart just because one greeter didn't say hello to me? You have to look at the bigger picture, and carry on with your application if it's something you really want to do.

I'm not making excuses for the a-holes out there, but the bottom line with all of this stuff is, they are still doing their job. Whether they are nitpicking at insignificant laws, or not. It's all still their job.

Unfortunately, they don't make police do a test to see how their social skills are. And there are some that are severely lacking in that department. Funny enough, those are usually the ones with the major degrees... makes it even more hilarious when people talk about how we're all barely high school educated. If you want cops with higher education, prepare to lose the cops that have street smarts and can relate to the regular guy.

My 2 cents.

vengie
08-04-2010, 05:20 PM

I realize that's not your intention with starting this thread, however, that's certainly what it will turn into. You post one bad experience, and the trolls come out of the woodwork to blast off about 'high school educations' and 'power trips'. That's just the way these threads roll.

As far as you putting in an application, don't let the one rubber cop deter you. I got a speeding ticket for 65 in a 60 zone the week before my interview. I told him and all he said was 'make sure you let your recruiting officer know about this before hand, then...'

I could have just thrown my hands up and thought all cops are dicks. That's easy.

Now that I've been on the job for a while, I have realized the guy that gave me that ticket isn't very well liked - for obvious reasons.

Am I going to stop shopping at Walmart just because one greeter didn't say hello to me? You have to look at the bigger picture, and carry on with your application if it's something you really want to do.

I'm not making excuses for the a-holes out there, but the bottom line with all of this stuff is, they are still doing their job. Whether they are nitpicking at insignificant laws, or not. It's all still their job.

Unfortunately, they don't make police do a test to see how their social skills are. And there are some that are severely lacking in that department. Funny enough, those are usually the ones with the major degrees... makes it even more hilarious when people talk about how we're all barely high school educated. If you want cops with higher education, prepare to lose the cops that have street smarts and can relate to the regular guy.

My 2 cents.

And that is fantastic really, but I don't understand why the majority of the police force (based off personal experience with the CPS) are complete and utter jerks. I am by no means a bad person, I drive within the speed limits as I have a class 1 license and would like to keep a clean abstract, I am always very polite, sure I drive a modified vehicle but so what?? its a hobby. I just do not get it! maybe you from your own perspective being on the force can comment on that? what kind of behavior as a whole are you seeing "behind the scenes"? Honestly the only reason I even considered becoming an officer is because I would like to restore some faith in people that there are still very decent officers out there. Call me crazy, it would be nice to deal with one of them rather than an egotistical power-tripping douche-bag which many of us encounter majority of the time.

Lex350
08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't think all cops are jerks either. I have relatives that are cops but most of the ones I've dealt with in the last few years are socially retarded.

Justgo, you hit on a good point in saying that they don't test cops on their social skills. Maybe they should considering what a vital role they play with the public. It's like anything...a few bad apples spoil it for the rest.

My philosophy about this is similar to business. With all businesses the company takes on the personality of the person at the top. From what I have talked to friends and family that are cops they would tend to agree with this when you mention Rick Hanson. They said they noticed a big shift when he took over.

Jetta-2.0
08-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
I don't think all cops are jerks either. I have relatives that are cops but most of the ones I've dealt with in the last few years are socially retarded.

Justgo, you hit on a good point in saying that they don't test cops on their social skills. Maybe they should considering what a vital role they play with the public. It's like anything...a few bad apples spoil it for the rest.

My philosophy about this is similar to business. With all businesses the company takes on the personality of the person at the top. From what I have talked to friends and family that are cops they would tend to agree with this when you mention Rick Hanson. They said they noticed a big shift when he took over.

:facepalm: :facepalm: and how are they going to afford these communication lessions or test them for there social skills :rofl: :rofl:

Lex350
08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't give a shit how they pay for it. But with that kind of responsibility there should be some development of social skills and teach people how to interact with the public.

Cos
08-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Just a quick off topic question. I only know of 3 members who DONT have post secondary (one being one of my family members). 2 of them were in the military and I dont know about the 3rd one.

So I assume you also have Post Secondary? As it is usually a part of the screening?

Just curious where the high school educated idea came from....

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd we are back :hijack:

calgary403
08-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Guilty by association? If I walked like a gangsters, dressed like a gangster and hung out with gangsters you don't think the CPS would paint me as a gangster?

wow600rr
08-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

Guilty by association? If I walked like a gangsters, dressed like a gangster and hung out with gangsters you don't think the CPS would paint me as a gangster?

Bang on! :rofl:

As of today I think of more than 90% cops as pure crooks and grudge holding high school drop outs.

The day I meet a half decent cop, I'll start thinking differently. This is coming from a guy who's cousin is a cop and after growing up with him side by side I would never even recommend him for any company let alone as a cop. But I guess he fits in.

Jetta-2.0
08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by wow600rr

As of today I think of more than 90% cops as pure crooks and grudge holding high school drop outs.

The day I meet a half decent cop, I'll start thinking differently. This is coming from a guy who's cousin is a cop and after growing up with him side by side I would never even recommend him for any company let alone as a cop. But I guess he fits in.

what if I take my college diploma and put it in my car, and if i get stoped by the cops i just show him my diploma in stead of my papers would that work :clap: :clap: :guns:

Freeskier
08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I dunno if I've just been lucky, or cops feel bad for me in the shit box 4runner... but one the 3 times i've been pulled over, and the dozen or so checkstops i've been through all the cops have been super professional and just downright nice in some cases. Of course you're gonna get some douche bags the same way you get fuckin retards working in any other job... but on the whole my experience with CPS has been alright. I guess I just don't have the sense of entitlement all the beyond ballers have. The nerve of getting a ticket for a modded exhaust...don't they know who pays their salaries? :thumbsup:

DannyO
08-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I can also say that I have dealt with CPS on 4 separate occasions and 3 of which were nice, and one was kind of....neutral? but like any job, there will always be douchebags.

TorqueDog
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Safety has long taken a back seat to the generation of revenue; if you need proof, just look at any intersection with a red light/speed camera.

This isn't the fault of the officer who pulls you over... he's just doing what he's told. His superiors and the city are the ones you should be mad at.

JustGo
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Just a quick off topic question. I only know of 3 members who DONT have post secondary (one being one of my family members). 2 of them were in the military and I dont know about the 3rd one.

So I assume you also have Post Secondary? As it is usually a part of the screening?

Just curious where the high school educated idea came from....

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd we are back :hijack: I actually have 2 degrees, one in english and one in broadcast communications. I know a few guys that have degrees in justice, and they are the ones to watch out for, suprisingly.

idioteque
08-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I actually have 2 degrees, one in english and one in broadcast communications.

Shit man, they should put you on To Serve and Protect! :thumbsup:

4lti
08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Police are just losers who wanna feel tough harassing everyone. ALL police are about revenue and NOT being a nice guy.

Fill the quota THEN you can decide to be nice or not.
Either way they work for the money, and can care less what happens as long as they get that pay at the end of the week.

You can say that not every cop is like that, but EVERY single cop ive ever met thats not trying to recruit people is a straight up power tripping loser.
They racial profile as if they joined the KKK. Everyone knows it, and if you dont then you live under a rock.
Police are busting down on ANYTHING, small or large that they can find wrong with things.

There trying to police everything now. No respect for Calgary Police what so ever.

JustGo
08-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for your input. When did they let you out of remand?

4lti
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your input. When did they let you out of remand?

You're welcome.
Never been :rolleyes:

Just pat yourself on the back for what you've done with this city :thumbsup:

Ill make sure I delete that post when you start ticketing people for what they say on the internet :rofl:

4lti
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Tell me when you get in your cruiser, what is the first thing you think?

"How am I gonna protect the people of Calgary today?"

Or is it

"Where can I hand out the most tickets today?" :devil:

idioteque
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Ahh, to be 14 again.

InRich
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey guys, what do you think would happen, if you did hit your breaks and the cop ran into your rear end because he was tailgating?

ExtraSlow
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Rich, I'm sure somehow you'd get a ticket.

Aleks
08-04-2010, 11:28 PM

..I am always very polite, sure I drive a modified vehicle but so what?? its a hobby. I just do not get it! ...

Modded cars are easy targets. An officer doesn't have to work hard to spot a big exhaust or tint up front. Yeah it sucks and maybe the laws should be changed but having mods just makes you that much more visible to officers

:dunno:

frizzlefry
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Hey guys, what do you think would happen, if you did hit your breaks and the cop ran into your rear end because he was tailgating?

Happened to my dad when I was 12 and passenger. Woman in front of my dad spilled her coffee and slammed on her brakes. My dad rear-ended her, cop rear-ended my dad. He made sure everyone was ok then asked my dad how close he was following her. He said something to the effect of "nothing out of the normal"....basically that he was not tailgating. Cop said that he could get fined, you are supposed to keep so many car lengths behind. Dad replied that he did not expect her to slam on her brakes without warning. We were just pulling away from an intersection once we got a green light. Who waits until the car in front of them has pulled away 5 car lengths? No one. Anyways, the cop approached the subject of ticketing my dad as he needs to keep such and such distance from the car in front of him. My father replied "Well you hit me too" and the cop said that because my dad rear-ended the car in front of him the stopping distance is less than simply hitting the brakes. My dad replied "well I guess we will just have to proceed to court, my lawyer will want full disclosure so can you give me a copy of your notes please?" The cop said sure and....gave him a warning. No word of a lie. Nice try.
Listen, being a cop is not easy. All the bull they have to put up with, no doubt, would drive me nuts. I live downtown and call the police often as a result. They always respond quickly and have broken up many a fight I have witnessed. Thing is, in a position of power with higher-ups breathing down your neck, it’s really hard to keep it polite and composed. A grumpy cop I can cope with. You are under-appreciated, deal with crap all day etc. But please, the undeserved ticket threat is crap. I got a ticket for running a yellow light. Rush hour, traffic backed up, I’m stuck at a green light because of stuck traffic on the other end of the intersection. Traffic starts to move milliseconds before the light turns yellow. I can cross the intersection easy, I enter on the yellow light, join the moving traffic and get pulled over. CPS officer is grumpy, not polite, no problem. I understand his job sucks. He gives me a ticket for running the yellow, which I did and plead guilty to. As he hands it to me he grunts “I’m doing you a favour, I could have given you a ticket for running a red light”. What? You did not give me that ticket because I did not run a red light. I ran a yellow. Don’t tell me how nice you are by saying you could have fined me for something I did not do....as far as I am concerned he said “I could have abused my authority and given you a false ticket but I did not so thank me loser”. I don’t care if a RCMP or CPS officer is grumpy. I don’t care if they don’t say please. I don't care if they don’t call me sir. But DON’T threaten me with fines for offences I did not commit. I have encountered that numerous times. That’s not a “please pardon the manners, understand the officer has a really tough job.” That’s abuse of power.

JustGo
08-05-2010, 12:17 AM
And I agree with that last post 100 percent.

PremiumRSX
08-05-2010, 12:52 AM

Don’t tell me how nice you are by saying you could have fined me for something I did not do....as far as I am concerned he said “I could have abused my authority and given you a false ticket but I did not so thank me loser”. I don’t care if a RCMP or CPS officer is grumpy. I don’t care if they don’t say please. I don't care if they don’t call me sir. But DON’T threaten me with fines for offences I did not commit. I have encountered that numerous times. That’s not a “please pardon the manners, understand the officer has a really tough job.” That’s abuse of power.

Yup, those are the worst.

I've received few tickets in the years that I've been driving, but I have had speeding/yellow light/tint/exhaust ticket before. In those times I didn't even go to court because I knew I was in the wrong and I paid my fines accordingly.

Recently though, I was pulled over and the officer was polite but I was issued a ticket for an offence I did not commit. I believe the ticket was given out from profiling/guilty by association or whatever you want to call it but now I have to take time and money out of my life to fight a ticket that was wrongfully issued to me. :banghead:

It was at that point that I lost faith in the CPS because I never expected something like this could happen. Especially since I have friends who are in the police service, know people who have family members in the police service, did a project on the police service and even went on a ride-along with an officer for 12 hours. I thought I knew the police service fairly well but I guess not.

frizzlefry
08-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Yup. Profiling is a big part of it. The "warnings" I have received always happen the same way. I get pulled over, have a talk with the officer and get a warning. I think "gee how nice, what a great guy" but I soon came to realize that what a "warning" actually is...it’s a "feeler" to see if they can lay an uncontested charge. My recent court appearance in Dead Rear solidified that. The RCMP cops waiting to testify were just outside the courtroom, making fun of the defendants. They did not realize that their voices were coming through to the courtroom. What caught my ear, aside from being called a "the "fag*ot" who pulled a U-Turn" (my wife would disagree), was how they were talking about an Asian lady who was there defending herself. "What is that chick going to say on the stand?" "I don't care, it’s not like the judge will understand her" then there was a hearty "hahhahaha" had by all the RCMP officers. My boss was "profiled" for his tinting (done by dealership and perfectly legal) they realized he was a wealthy white male and educated so they gave him a warning. All "warnings" I have received were when I had a cheap car. Not one since I bought my A6 2 years ago. Guess ESL folk don't drive Audis.

luxor
08-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Yup. Profiling is a big part of it. The "warnings" I have received always happen the same way. I get pulled over, have a talk with the officer and get a warning. I think "gee how nice, what a great guy" but I soon came to realize that what a "warning" actually is...it’s a "feeler" to see if they can lay an uncontested charge. My recent court appearance in Dead Rear solidified that. The RCMP cops waiting to testify were just outside the courtroom, making fun of the defendants. They did not realize that their voices were coming through to the courtroom. What caught my ear, aside from being called a "the "fag*ot" who pulled a U-Turn" (my wife would disagree), was how they were talking about an Asian lady who was there defending herself. "What is that chick going to say on the stand?" "I don't care, it’s not like the judge will understand her" then there was a hearty "hahhahaha" had by all the RCMP officers. My boss was "profiled" for his tinting (done by dealership and perfectly legal) they realized he was a wealthy white male and educated so they gave him a warning. All "warnings" I have received were when I had a cheap car. Not one since I bought my A6 2 years ago. Guess ESL folk don't drive Audis.

What the fuck? Get a Twitter account or something. And no tint in the front is legal, dealership or not. Only the rear is "legal".

Anyways, all I have to say is cops need to feel like they have done something good and justify it by saying "you're lucky I cut you a break". Even though they give out bullshit tickets and waste tax dollars with these useless revenue generating tactics, and they very well are aware of it.

It's no wonder they get so little respect and most of them hate their career choices. Not to mention high divorce and alcohol abuse rates.

It sucks for those few cops out there who actually joined the force to try and make a difference, having to work with power tripping high school drop-out losers that make the entire police force look bad.

yoda124
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
the smile and nod is what did you in.When you tried to be friendly the officer thought you were mocking him.

codetrap
08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
In 25 years of interactions with the police, I've never had an issue with them. They've always been direct and professional. Never ever had anyone that's been difficult for me to deal with. Even when I was arrested for a string of house robberies (mistaken identity) they weren't difficult. Just time consuming, especially since I WAS in the yard of one of the houses at the time of the robbery. Not my best flying of a heli :P

The key? I didn't give them attitude. None of this "I'm hot shit so you'd better respect me" crap that I see all over these days. I stayed polite, calm and courteous. The same as I would in a business dealing, or with anyone in the public that I've just met for the first time.

Maybe all you guys that are having issues with the police have something in common?

Lex350
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Not at all. I've always been polite. I don't give attitude. I even have all my papers ready by the time they get to my window. I have it rolled down...sunglasses off. There are just some power tripping jerks out there.

CUG
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I had a nice girl Cop in district 8 light me up in the Mac Towne traffic circle, she just drove up beside me, "hey dude! it's dark! turn your lights on!" I was in my bosses car, had a dumbass moment and couldn't figure out how, said "umm I don't know how" she got out, turned them on for me, and left. Also, totally would have asked for her number if there wasn't traffic wizzing by. :love:

InRich
08-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I had a nice girl Cop in district 8 light me up in the Mac Towne traffic circle, she just drove up beside me, "hey dude! it's dark! turn your lights on!" I was in my bosses car, had a dumbass moment and couldn't figure out how, said "umm I don't know how" she got out, turned them on for me, and left. Also, totally would have asked for her number if there wasn't traffic wizzing by. :love:

lol!!! you dumbass ;)
funny

mazdavirgin
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I actually have 2 degrees, one in english and one in broadcast communications. I know a few guys that have degrees in justice, and they are the ones to watch out for, suprisingly.

Well with such useless degrees I guess it makes sense to choose police work.

Traffic_Cop
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wow600rr

Yeah...im thinking high school drop outs dont meet these requirements:- also note the post secondary requirements!!!!

Character

Possess exemplary moral character.
Possess a high degree of personal integrity.
Be Intelligent, display sound judgment, maturity, and common sense.
Other Requirements

18 years of age.
Must have Canadian Citizenship or legal permanent status prior to employment.
Excellent health with no medical conditions that would restrict your ability to safely complete recruit training and perform all aspects of police work.
Possess a fully licensed Class 5 driver's license [must NOT be a Graduated Driver's License] with no more than five demerit points. Out of province applicants should be sure that they possess the equivalent of this unrestricted drivers permit prior to submitting their application.
Meet Visual Acuity standards.
No criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
No criminal charges pending before the courts.
No criminal activity within at least three years preceding application including any detected or undetected crime and/or involvement at any level, including illegal drugs.
Strong credit rating.
Must be one year clear of discharge date from a bankruptcy.
Preferred Attributes

Minimum of two years post secondary education and/or consistent employment history
Volunteer experience in the community.
Work experience involving a position of responsibility and trust.
Duties that involve significant interaction with the public.
Applied knowledge of computers, including but not limited to, MS Windows, Word, Outlook, etc, and basic typing skills.
Medical Standards

For more information relating to the Medical Standards for Police Recruits or a specific Medical Condition, please contact the Recruiting Unit and ask to speak with the Occupational Health & Safety Nurse

Oh and thats just to apply!!.then you have to get through the following:-

1. Written Testing

2. Alberta Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police (A-PREP)

3. Screening Interview
4. Panel Interview
5. Polygraph Examination
6. Psychological Assessment
7. Security Background Investigation
8. Selection Committee
9. Occupational Medical Exam

And then IF succesful, 26 weeks of training.

Show a little respect.

R154
08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Well with such useless degrees I guess it makes sense to choose police work.

100% agree.

arian_ma
08-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Traffic_cop, the first line of the first requirement you posted, IE "Possess exemplary moral character," is exactly what is up for debate in this thread.

frizzlefry
08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Traffic_cop, the first line of the first requirement you posted, IE "Possess exemplary moral character," is exactly what is up for debate in this thread.

As has been on the news....an internet luring pedophile passed the requirements. Not sure the psych exam and polygraph tests are asking the right questions....

codetrap
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM

As has been on the news....an internet luring pedophile passed the requirements. Not sure the psych exam and polygraph tests are asking the right questions....

Link?

frizzlefry
08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Link?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Judge+rules+Calgary+officer+charged+with+luring+victim+entrapment/3333780/story.html

calgary403
08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Yeah...im thinking high school drop outs dont meet these requirements:- also note the post secondary requirements!!!!

Character

Possess exemplary moral character.
Possess a high degree of personal integrity.
Be Intelligent, display sound judgment, maturity, and common sense.
Other Requirements

18 years of age.
Must have Canadian Citizenship or legal permanent status prior to employment.
Excellent health with no medical conditions that would restrict your ability to safely complete recruit training and perform all aspects of police work.
Possess a fully licensed Class 5 driver's license [must NOT be a Graduated Driver's License] with no more than five demerit points. Out of province applicants should be sure that they possess the equivalent of this unrestricted drivers permit prior to submitting their application.
Meet Visual Acuity standards.
No criminal convictions for which a pardon has not been granted.
No criminal charges pending before the courts.
No criminal activity within at least three years preceding application including any detected or undetected crime and/or involvement at any level, including illegal drugs.
Strong credit rating.
Must be one year clear of discharge date from a bankruptcy.
Preferred Attributes

Minimum of two years post secondary education and/or consistent employment history
Volunteer experience in the community.
Work experience involving a position of responsibility and trust.
Duties that involve significant interaction with the public.
Applied knowledge of computers, including but not limited to, MS Windows, Word, Outlook, etc, and basic typing skills.
Medical Standards

For more information relating to the Medical Standards for Police Recruits or a specific Medical Condition, please contact the Recruiting Unit and ask to speak with the Occupational Health & Safety Nurse

Oh and thats just to apply!!.then you have to get through the following:-

1. Written Testing

2. Alberta Physical Readiness Evaluation for Police (A-PREP)

3. Screening Interview
4. Panel Interview
5. Polygraph Examination
6. Psychological Assessment
7. Security Background Investigation
8. Selection Committee
9. Occupational Medical Exam

And then IF succesful, 26 weeks of training.

Show a little respect.

Note that post secondary is a preferred attribute and not a requirement.

JustGo
08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Well with such useless degrees I guess it makes sense to choose police work. Good shot. However, they are what I needed in order to start my first career, which was a lot of fun. I'm not claiming to be a genius, but try and insult me all you want. I hear way worse from people who actually have the testicular fortitude to say it to my face at work, not cower behind a computer and think they're ballin for telling a cop he's dumb. But to each their own. If it makes you feel cool, let it rip.

dbl0svn
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Most of you kiddies would curl up and cry if you saw what most cops see on a daily basis. Easy to criticize from Mom/Dads basement.

LadyLuck
08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
CPS should just chill out like this cop here:

http://www.wimp.com/swedenpolice/

calgary403
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I hear way worse from people who actually have the testicular fortitude to say it to my face at work, not cower behind a computer and think they're ballin for telling a cop he's dumb.

And than you respond in kind like this?

Y5wGdhS6kL4

gretz
08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Good shot. However, they are what I needed in order to start my first career, which was a lot of fun. I'm not claiming to be a genius, but try and insult me all you want. I hear way worse from people who actually have the testicular fortitude to say it to my face at work, not cower behind a computer and think they're ballin for telling a cop he's dumb. But to each their own. If it makes you feel cool, let it rip.

lol...

Question for you... If you got into an off-duty altercation, would the fact that you are a cop change the outcome (a little rhetorical, as the police are somewhat biased lol)? Would you use it to your advantage?

JustGo
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM

And than you respond in kind like this?

Y5wGdhS6kL4

No, 'than' I would just laugh, crack a joke, make bad guy laugh, and gain full compliance. That's how I roll.

Why do people just assume all cops just drive around angry all the time?

Oh, right... when you hate on cops, you never even pay attention to the nice ones. My bad, carry on.

JustGo
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by gretz

lol...

Question for you... If you got into an off-duty altercation, would the fact that you are a cop change the outcome (a little rhetorical, as the police are somewhat biased lol)? Would you use it to your advantage?
I don't put myself into situations where there would be an altercation, and I think most others are the same.

Not sure what kind of altercation you're talking about though... like a fist fight? Or someone breaking into my house? It really depends on the scenario.

gretz
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

I don't put myself into situations where there would be an altercation, and I think most others are the same.

Not sure what kind of altercation you're talking about though... like a fist fight? Or someone breaking into my house? It really depends on the scenario.

Sooooo, yes?

JustGo
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Sooooo, yes?
Sooooo, it depends.

calgary403
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Sooooo, it depends.

What if they were holding an umbrella?

I also do not know why you put "than" in quotations. Maybe trying to point out a spelling error that wasn't there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Than

Tik-Tok
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
On a similar note...

I had the best Customs Agent in the world on our roadtrip back from California the other day! We had 20 bottles of wine, exceeding our allowed limit by about 10x the amount, he asked if we were in California, laughed and said "oh yeah", he chuckled and said go one ahead. :D

arian_ma
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Edit: Fuck, way off topic here. Edited out the BS.

I would just like to see the Calgary traffic division be about saving lives, as opposed to make money. I don't know how a traffic cop is supposed to do that, but then again I'm not a traffic cop. So until I see those redlight cameras and speeding cameras and "didn't come to a complete stop," bullshit tickets be given out when they are actually deserved, (IE you didn't come to a complete stop and almost killed someone, as opposed to you didn't come to a complete stop at 4 AM so give me $400), then I can't respect your unit as an entirety. We are the ones that are bitching, but if your department had any sense of respect for any of the people who are just trying to go about their daily lives, your entire division would be appalled just like we are at the daily harassment that the people of Calgary have to put up with. I don't care if it's your job, if you have morals, stand up for the citizens like you promised to do when you became a cop, whatever that standing up may entail. Don't throw out the "it's unsafe," or "it's just my job," bullshit. Like it has been said in this thread many times, lots of cops give good honest people breaks, and that's always awesome to see, but lots of cops go out of their way to fuck you, and that is unacceptable and I don't give a crap how much respect you think you deserve, it makes people hate you.

JustGo
08-05-2010, 02:39 PM

What if they were holding an umbrella?

I also do not know why you put "than" in quotations. Maybe trying to point out a spelling error that wasn't there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Than
No, the spelling error is actually there. 'Than' is for comparisons.

To use your website as examples:

A man no mightier than thyself or me...

or

You are a better swimmer than she.

Whereas, 'then' is what you were supposed to say, meaning 'immediately soon or afterwards'.

Good effort though.

JustGo
08-05-2010, 02:45 PM

From your own link:

Then and than are completely different words.

THEN I went to Macs
I would like Ice cream more THAN a slurpee.

And in your case, "and THEN you respond..."

Edit: Fuck, way off topic here. I would just like to see the Calgary traffic division be about saving lives, as opposed to make money. I don't know how a traffic cop is supposed to do that, but then again I'm not a traffic cop. So until I see those redlight cameras and speeding cameras and "didn't come to a complete stop," bullshit tickets be given out when they are actually deserved, (IE you didn't come to a complete stop and almost killed someone, as opposed to you didn't come to a complete stop at 4 AM so give me $400), then I can't respect your unit as an entirety. We are the ones that are bitching, but if your department had any sense of respect for any of the people who are just trying to go about their daily lives, your entire division would be appalled just like we are at the daily harassment that the people of Calgary have to put up with. I don't care if it's your job, if you have morals, stand up for the citizens like you promised to do when you became a cop, whatever that standing up may entail. Don't throw out the "it's unsafe," or "it's just my job," bullshit. Like it has been said in this thread many times, lots of cops give good honest people breaks, and that's always awesome to see, but lots of cops go out of their way to fuck you, and that is unacceptable and I don't give a crap how much respect you think you deserve, it makes people hate you.

I agree on some points, however, I think your gripe is with the wrong people. If you don't want the traffic guys enforcing the laws (which you say are basically frivolous), You need to be mad at the government for making them laws to begin with. As police officers, it is not our job to determine which laws we wish to enforce. It's our job to enforce the law. All laws. You can't really get mad at someone who chooses to follow that by the book.

That being said, it's just easier to be mad at the middle man, and I can certainly understand that some guys do get nit-picky and cause more frustration and anger than necessary... (that's right, I just used 'than' properly) :)

DayGlow
08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
There is a world beyond this forum. Traffic enforcement is still a job of the police. I just opened up our traffic service request database. This is where people contact the police and request enforcement in a particular area. So far this year there have been over 14,000.

Until you convince the police commission that traffic enforcement isn't a job for the police it will continue. By the looks of it there are a few people that live here that believe it is and request it.

arian_ma
08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Is there a service set up for us to UN request it?

14,000/1,000,000 seems pretty petty. And that is assuming that that's 14,000 separate individuals requesting enforcement.

Anyway, I'm gonna quit arguing here, I just wish there was a way for the other P.O.V. to be heard. It's easy to call people lunatics when they are arguing against the law.

DayGlow
08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
No one is a lunatic. The Police Comission is there for you. They direct the police force on policy on enforcement. Contact them. Their website is www.calgarypolicecomission.ca On the site you will find the citizen survey to get a better idea of what people in Calgary think and say about the police.

Get involved if it means that much to you, or just bitch about it in the interweb, it's up to you.

vengie
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM

I agree on some points, however, I think your gripe is with the wrong people. If you don't want the traffic guys enforcing the laws (which you say are basically frivolous), You need to be mad at the government for making them laws to begin with. As police officers, it is not our job to determine which laws we wish to enforce. It's our job to enforce the law. All laws. You can't really get mad at someone who chooses to follow that by the book.

That being said, it's just easier to be mad at the middle man, and I can certainly understand that some guys do get nit-picky and cause more frustration and anger than necessary... (that's right, I just used 'than' properly) :)

You sir seem like a very down to earth officer, the type I would like to deal with. Please do us all a favour and keep that attitude about you :thumbsup:

codetrap
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM

14,000/1,000,000 seems pretty petty. And that is assuming that that's 14,000 separate individuals requesting enforcement.

Anyway, I'm gonna quit arguing here, I just wish there was a way for the other P.O.V. to be heard. It's easy to call people lunatics when they are arguing against the law.

It may seem small and petty to you, but that's still 65 requests a day for traffic enforcement. 65 Taxpayers demanding police services related to traffic.

As for a way to "un-request" it? That's simply a horrible idea. You'd immediately get trolls sitting there un-requesting every single enforcement request entered, and nothing would get done.

phil98z24
08-05-2010, 03:29 PM

...and there it is, that little glimpse into how you rationalize our jobs and how you think your crying is more important than everybody else.

You think those 14,000 people that made those complaints think their complaints are petty? I would say they thought it was pretty damn important if they took the time to speak up, and they probably care about their communities and road safety - most of those are likely playground zones, school zones, and high risk intersections and residential areas.

You probably will be the first one to say we are a service, how we are supposed to protect and serve - yet when we act like a service and serve the people who are requesting it, you have a fit about it! Do you see how that may be a little out to lunch?

Maybe if you truly gave a shit and weren't just complaining because of reasons unknown, you would have found out that you can complain to the Calgary Police Commission, or our citizen complaint unit... but one of our unprofessional and contemptuous, grudge holding officers already steered you in that direction.

calgary403
08-05-2010, 03:36 PM

No, the spelling error is actually there. 'Than' is for comparisons.

To use your website as examples:

A man no mightier than thyself or me...

or

You are a better swimmer than she.

Whereas, 'then' is what you were supposed to say, meaning 'immediately soon or afterwards'.

Good effort though.

True I pwned myself. I dedicate this poster to my post:

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/7334/original/pwned-catkick.jpg?1249244291

On a side-note I have been told by a few people that cps will not issue other members and their families tickets. Is there any truth to this?

spikerS
08-05-2010, 03:48 PM

True I pwned myself. I dedicate this poster to my post:

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/7334/original/pwned-catkick.jpg?1249244291

On a side-note I have been told by a few people that cps will not issue other members and their families tickets. Is there any truth to this?

sometimes as a professional courtesy they won't, but it also depends on the infraction.

One of my friends and I were coming back from Banff, and his dad is an RCMP officer, who just happened to pull his son over and give him a ticket for 20 over...

frizzlefry
08-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

It may seem small and petty to you, but that's still 65 requests a day for traffic enforcement. 65 Taxpayers demanding police services related to traffic.

It seems that its becoming very popular for communities to "take matters into their own hands" and put speed humps and circles and other traffic slowing measures in. 50km/h roads that you can't drive 50km/h on because people demanded speed humps so that their widdle ones can play outside without getting murdered by some bastard going 60km/h. I dunno, when I was a kid, I was told to stay off the goddamn street and play in the backyard. I would bet that 60 of those 65 requests for traffic enforcement are related to people being pissed that their streets are not safe for their kids to run around on and the other 5 are from people who really need to get a life. In other words, I doubt most requests are for legitimate reasons.

arian_ma
08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I think you guys misunderstood me. I'm not anti-cop, I don't immediately think "what an asshole," when I see a cop, but I can also see where the generalization comes from.

As for the complaints, by un-request I didn't mean that complaints would be thrown away, I meant is there a way we can unrequest police services, like say if I see a cop standing on the same corner every week and feel it to be unnecessary.

Lastly, you are right, it seems like a lot of what is going on in this thread (and in my posts) to be just pure bitching, to you. IMO, there are some things that just do not need to be addressed, IE widened exhaust tickets when there are Harelys rolling around without issue.

I don't think 14,000 complains are all useless complains, I was pointing out the fact that that's less than 1.5% of the population of the city complaining. There are tight asses to be found everywhere.

Also, phil98z24 and DayGlow, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, but in all honesty, if I went and complained to that website about something I didn't like, say the fact that I hate how loud Harelys are and I think they should ticket them, would it get as much attention as another person complaining that a bunch of teenagers are gdriving fast (whatever fast means in her world who knows) down her street and she wants cops to set up speed traps?

The WHOLE point of everything I've tried to say is that I KNOW I can complain, but I also know that my complaints mean shit all and most likely nothing will be done about them, ESPECIALLY if I am complaining about a certain law that I don't like.

codetrap
08-05-2010, 04:23 PM

It seems that its becoming very popular for communities to "take matters into their own hands" and put speed humps and circles and other traffic slowing measures in. 50km/h roads that you can't drive 50km/h on because people demanded speed humps so that their widdle ones can play outside without getting murdered by some bastard going 60km/h. I dunno, when I was a kid, I was told to stay off the goddamn street and play in the backyard. I would bet that 60 of those 65 requests for traffic enforcement are related to people being pissed that their streets are not safe for their kids to run around on and the other 5 are from people who really need to get a life. In other words, I doubt most requests are for legitimate reasons.

You're not a parent are you?

My 2 year old daughter was playing with her big rubber ball while I was washing my car (illegally) in my driveway. She bounced it off my bike, and then proceeded to chase it into the street. This happened in under 5 seconds. I was on the other side of the car from her, and there was no way I could reach her in time, nor did she stop when I yelled for her. She was lucky, as the only car coming was my neighbor who also had kids, and drives pretty slow. She stopped, and nobody got run over.

Kids are stupid sometimes. They don't understand the dangers, so we as parent have an obligation to mitigate those dangers as much as possible. That includes BOTH putting the fear of god into the child about going on the street AND ensuring that the drivers are able to respond in time to NOT run over my daughter.

I'm pretty sure that nobody here would like to see me posting that I have to do to Cassandra's funeral because someone was speeding through the playground zone, and couldn't stop in time.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4864551730_1d63469d64_z.jpg