PDA

View Full Version : how many demerits for this ticket?

spikerS
08-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Just got a ticket on my way to work this morning and the cop is letting me off REALLY easy. Just looking to find out how many demerits it carries.

Got charged under 53(1) of the use of highway & rules of the road regulation.

-relk-
08-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't know much about tickets but does it not usually say on the ticket itself?

spikerS
08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
nope, nothing on the ticket indicating demerits

Modelexis
08-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Failing to stop yellow light at intersection 53(1)

3 demerits

Super_Geo
08-04-2010, 08:34 AM
You should drop by the court to ask for the demerits reduced. I've had 3 speeding tickets in the past 10 years and I've had each one of them reduced... just give them the ol' "but I'm in such a tough financial situation..."

spikerS
08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
You should drop by the court to ask for the demerits reduced. I've had 3 speeding tickets in the past 10 years and I've had each one of them reduced... just give them the ol' "but I'm in such a tough financial situation..."

I might ask for that, but I won't be fighting it. Needless to say I am getting a huge break for a pretty big brain fart.

Modelexis
08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't quite understand what you did to get this ticket.
Was there a flashing yellow that you didn't yield to another car?

-relk-
08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by spikers

I might ask for that, but I won't be fighting it. Needless to say I am getting a huge break for a pretty big brain fart.

Mind telling us what the original infraction was instead of just the ticket??

spikerS
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
I don't quite understand what you did to get this ticket.
Was there a flashing yellow that you didn't yield to another car?

I know I am going to get flamed for this.

Basically i was running a bit late for work and my daughter kept me up most of the night teething and having a rough go at it. And this was at 5:30 am.

Was heading down the hill on the trans-canada past sarcee, speed limit was 80, and I was doing 100. The speed limit eventually drops to 50 near home road. I took my foot off the accelerator and coasted. There is a set of lights at home road and the TC, and the light turned yellow. At this point i had probably slowed to about 75 in coasting. I decided to run the yellow and jumped on the gas. I entered the intersection as the light turned red. There was a cop in a van hiding behind the big green power box thingy there, and immediately pulled me over.

I got my license, registration and insurance ready for him. He came to the window, with a slight chuckle and asked "what was that?". My answer was a sheepish "I got nothing."

He said I ran a red light and he clocked me at 94. He asked what was going on, i told him i was running a bit late and my daughter teething. He said "ah" and "i'll see what I can do."

He came back with the one ticket for fail to stop for a yellow light, instead of 1 ticket for running a red and another for speeding, which combined probably would be over $600 and a hell of a lot more demerits.

He said thanks for not giving him a bullshit excuse and looked at my history. He said he thinks that is normally not me and is giving me a break. He also said that he hopes i don't plan on dragging him into court. Knowing what I could get in tickets, I don't plan on it.

JfuckinC
08-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Sick cop! Lucky morning for you my friend!

Modelexis
08-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't think many people on beyond can say they have never hustled through to beat a light... We're all human.

I broke hard for a yellow one time and was rear ended and lost my pride and joy of a car, at 5:30am I would have done the same as you.

G-ZUS
08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Plead guilty to a lesser charge?

arian_ma
08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Shiet man that is a great story, but how busy is home road at 5:30 AM for the dude to have set up a speed trap??

dirtsniffer
08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/108216/recieved-a-ticket-demerits-error-fight-it-read-first/

check this crazy thread out

spikerS
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Shiet man that is a great story, but how busy is home road at 5:30 AM for the dude to have set up a speed trap??

that's just it, at that time it is not busy at all. there was one other car pacing me that turned off on sarcee, and didn't see another until the cop pulled me over.

I know they sit there all the time during the day, but i have never seen them there that early in the 4.5 years i have been traveling that route to go to work at that time.