PDA

View Full Version : Gear in Hong Kong

MushiSushi
08-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi All,

I just finished my bike course with Tool Cool last week and I'm ready to go and get my license, bike, gear and everything.

However, I'm going to Hong Kong soon and I'm wondering if I should look there for gear. I probably wouldn't buy my helmet there just cause I don't know if they have the same safety rating, but I might consider boots, gloves, jackets, etc.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with shopping for that kind of stuff in HK?

Thanks,
Ed

bjstare
08-04-2010, 02:23 PM
No experience, but if you're worried about the safety rating of one type of equipment, why wouldn't you be worried about it all? Food for thought.:dunno:
I probably wouldn't buy any safety related stuff there.

MushiSushi
08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
True...

My thinking was that there's lots of riders in HK, I would assume their stuff are pretty safe. Just something about my head being protected by something "Made in China" kinda scares me. :nut: hahah

Zigo
08-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by MushiSushi
True...

My thinking was that there's lots of riders in HK, I would assume their stuff are pretty safe. Just something about my head being protected by something "Made in China" kinda scares me. :nut: hahah

Better then " Made in my basement".

Just saying..

Go4Long
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
a shoei in hong kong is still a shoei, and it's cheaper there, as are a some of the big brands, but there's also some stuff that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. the Dainese jacket might look like a steal at "only" $500, but hold it up next to a real dainese and you'll be able to tell the difference. Lot's of knock off shit over there.

bjstare
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
a shoei in hong kong is still a shoei, and it's cheaper there, as are a some of the big brands, but there's also some stuff that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. the Dainese jacket might look like a steal at "only" $500, but hold it up next to a real dainese and you'll be able to tell the difference. Lot's of knock off shit over there.

Yeah, exactly. If you can be 100%confident that you're purchasing legit equipment, friggin buy it all there, its cheaper. I'd just be worried about getting something that looks exactly like the real thing (tags and all), and then crashing and losing a bunch of skin cause the stitching all ripped apart or something. I dunno.

japan_us
08-05-2010, 11:14 AM
There are enough good deals on legit gear online. Try on some gear locally, then search the net for the best price. It works for most.