PDA

View Full Version : Help with dryer not heating up

Cos
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I have been having issues with my dryer over the last while, a service call is $75.00 for the call and $15.00 for every 15 minutes plus parts. Considering I see lots of dryers sub $300.00 I dont want to let the guy walk into the house.

Essentially the timer doesnt appear to work consistently as sometimes i just doesnt shut off. Also the dryer itself doesnt seem to heat up. That isnt all the time. I checked the venting and the flow seems good, however it doesnt seem hot. I checked the heating coil, continuity seems fine, I also checked the thermal fuse and it appeared to be burnt out. I bought one today, threw it in, and didnt seem to make any change.

I dont know enough about these, is there anyone on beyond who does this for a living? I am not totally retarded, I have the dryer opened up and I can replace whatever you told me was broken.

I just dont want to throw 100's of dollars out the window to find out it is something stupid.

arian_ma
08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
This may sound extremely trivial but have you cleaned out that lint filter?

Cos
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Haha yeah sorry, I checked the whole vent system. I think the renters before we bought it fried something in it, the drum is spinning, it is pushing a lot of air, it is just the timer and heat....

Spoons
08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I would check the heating coil again... This sounds like its the problem. They are not too expensive, you could just try it?

Cos
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
^^ Sorry I didnt mention, I ran the dryer with the heating coil out, and it heats up but only for 10/15 seconds. I took the thermistor out and it never seemed to cycle, hence why I replaced the thermistor.

The heating coil cant be the problem.

dexlargo
08-05-2010, 09:04 AM
http://www.applianceguru.com

I've had good luck using this forum for diagnosing and repairing my appliances in the past. Tons of info including service manuals for many appliances and helpful professional appliance repair people who help out, and it's all free. They have their own parts supply business, but you don't have to use it.

ETA: Seems that I misremembered. It's only mostly free. If you want access to service manuals, they'd like 5 bucks.

codetrap
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
PM'd you. Like I said last night, it might not be worth fixing if it's the controller.

Cos
08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys