PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing 600rr Problem

BrknFngrs
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Alright, I'm kind of stumped with my 2005 CBR 600rr; its got about 14,000 km's on it and I've never had any major problems prior to this.

On Thursday of last week I noticed that my headlights weren't working on my morning commute so I did a little bit of research and discovered that it was the result of a common bad solder in the starter controls.

On saturday I took off the fairings, checked all fuses and everything was proper. I then tried to start the bike but it refused to startup. You can hear the fuel pump going when the key goes to the on position and you can hear the starter going but it wont fire. After various attempts I could also smell gas so I know that it's getting fuel (likely flooded by that point)

I then proceeded to fix the solder connection for my headlights and then tried to start the bike again to no avail.

All fuses are still good, I checked all of them. I also thought that my battery might just be weak so I metered it and it was dropping to ~8v when the starter was going so I hooked it up to a battery charger and tried to fire the bike again with the charger on the battery; still wouldn't start and showed the same symptoms.

Does anyone know what my next step would be?

I'm assuming the battery isn't the problem since the bike wouldn't start even when the charger was connected to it; does that seem like a reasonable assumption?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any quality shops that could address this issue for me?

revelations
08-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Try fully charging the battery first.

It depends on the type of charger you have and how much boost power is has as far as actually providing amperage to start the bike.

turbotrip
08-05-2010, 01:45 AM
to confirm that its not the battery; hook jumper cables to a car battery (make sure car is not on) and then try starting. however that is likely not the issue

can you try holding the clutch in while starting it and see if that lets you start it

BrknFngrs
08-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Try fully charging the battery first.

It depends on the type of charger you have and how much boost power is has as far as actually providing amperage to start the bike.

Alright I'll give it another try just in case it wasn't fully charged last time. The charger I was using doesn't have a strart function either, it just slowly charges the battery from a standard wall socket.

Originally posted by turbotrip
to confirm that its not the battery; hook jumper cables to a car battery (make sure car is not on) and then try starting. however that is likely not the issue

can you try holding the clutch in while starting it and see if that lets you start it

I didn't think it was safe to hook the bike up to a car battery? Are you recommending hooking my bike battery to the car battery and then trying to start it or bypassing the bike battery all together and just using a car battery to try and start it?

In regards to the clutch, I always have to pull the clutch in to start my bike. Isn't that normal for pretty much any bike?

japan_us
08-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Search online for your bike's service manual, if you don't have it already. It should tell you exactly what readings you should be getting from your meter.

But, in general, you should get the following just from your battery:

1. Ignition off = 12.X V
2. Ignition on, engine not turned, high beams on = no less than 12.0 V
3. @ Idle = 13.X - 14.X V ... somewhere around there

My manual even has a figure for the engine at a particular RPM. (In my case, 14.0 - 15.0 V @ 5k.)

Assuming that your battery is fully charged, you'll be more concerned with what you're getting at idle, and xRPM. Too high, and it's a good chance of being your R/R. Too low (which seems to be your case) and it could very well be the stator.

Bottom line, if you want to fix this yourself, obtain the manual and conduct the tests. You should be able to locate the problem. I had some nasty charging system issues on my track bike over the past month, so I know what you're going through.

Good luck!

turbotrip
08-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I didn't think it was safe to hook the bike up to a car battery? Are you recommending hooking my bike battery to the car battery and then trying to start it or bypassing the bike battery all together and just using a car battery to try and start it?

In regards to the clutch, I always have to pull the clutch in to start my bike. Isn't that normal for pretty much any bike?

its safe to hook the bike battery to the car battery if the car is not on. try doing that and then starting it.

and you only have to pull the clutch in to start if you are in gear. put it in neutral with the kickstand down, and then try to start it with the clutch in.

pruls
08-07-2010, 12:16 PM
since you took off the fairings if the front was remove the bank angle sensor was unplugged maybe ?

pmsent..

edit: cant be that if fuel is priming

CUG
08-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Edit: Nevermind.

Might be your stator and or voltage regulator. If your regulators gone, I don't think anythign will work.

CHICHARITZHI
08-15-2010, 12:31 AM
regulator rectifier is common problem for CBR, they didn't upgrade this parts.

turbotrip
08-15-2010, 03:10 AM
^the 05/06 had the R/R issue fixed

SecondReversal
08-29-2010, 02:33 AM
I had a similar problem the first time I broke my CBR down to nuts and bolts - It turns out that when I pulled the front cowling off and disconnected the Instrument Cluster, I did not fully reconnect the plug on reassembly. It felt snug, but I pulled the cowling again and reconnected the plug connector into the back of the instrument cluster... Solved my problem right there. I'd suggest at least trying a reconnect - Might be that simple.