PDA

View Full Version : Largest tires for '09 Toyota Corolla

ldouglas
08-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey board,

I'm looking to put some better tires on the wifes car and was looking for the widest and largest overall diameter tire that would fit on the stock base model?

I'm not looking to put low profiles, but just some good performance wide tires and don't want to be steering into the wheel-well or fender.

Thoughts anyone?

tirebob
08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Changing the tires height by more than 3% is not recommended, and that small of a difference would be almost not perceptable by eye. Going a bit wider is no issue however, but unless you plan on changing the rim, stuffing a 215/60R15 (the size that will not screw up you overall diameter) in place of the stock 185/65R15 or 195/65R15 (assuming you have 15's right now?) on a stock Toyota wheel will look a bit balloon'ish' IMO. That and there are not really a lot lot of performance specific tires in this size.

You should be approaching this as a plus 1 or maybe plus 2 type scenario. Moving to a 16 inch or 17 inch wheel and tire will open up your doors a lot to better fitments and choices...

ldouglas
08-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks Bob,

I'm definitely not looking to remain on stock rims; and i'm really only looking for the wider tire for traction, but not going with a low-profile because we actually drive the car in the country.

Are you aware of the actual diameter and width combination limits of this car? If I can find those, then I can get try out the various ratios to match the needs I have to a look I am comfortable with.

Cheers...

tirebob
08-06-2010, 10:18 AM
It isn't quite as simple as that. What you can fit outer dimension wise will depend on other factors such as offset suspension etc. Even on a stock suspension you could have two cars exactly the same and one car will fit a size bigger before rubbing than the same identical car and setup.

The goal is to keep the tire diameter to between 24.5 and 25.0 inches ideally. Width wise I have never fit wider than 225 width tires on the Corolla, but you could maybe fit slightly wider if the rim width and offset was just right. That being said, I would not go about it the way you sound like you want to... In 15 inch, you really are not going to get choices in a good sport tire that will be available in the sizes that keep the O.D. accurate for the vehicle.

kvg
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by ldouglas
Hey board,

I'm looking to put some better tires on the wifes car and was looking for the widest and largest overall diameter tire that would fit on the stock base model?

Really really bad idea! like bob said, you can go a little wider on stock rims but if you want more side wall you'll need smaller rims. you might be able to fit 14" wheels? plus it you change the overall diameter you abs won't work properly.:thumbsup: