PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Caravan Opinions/info

Bushy
08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi, My wife and I are selling our car to get a van. I have looked alot on the reviews and specs of the caravan, but have also heard some rumors. I am looking for your opinions on the Caravan if you have owned one. I am only looking at domestic vans (cost), and from what I can tell the caravan beats the windstar and montana in most areas? We are looking at getting a 2004 Grand Caravan, but want to hear about other peoples experiences with this vehicle, and windstars and montanas if you have input. I heard that caravans have transmission problems?
I also liked the idea of the stow and go seating but heard it was horribly uncomfortable?
Thanks for your opinions.

-TOFU-
08-05-2010, 05:27 PM
We have a 2003 chrysler town and country and we have had many problems with the transmission slipping and we also had electrical problems with the headlights, about a few months ago we had to get our a/c compressor replace. I guess if your in the market for a used minivan I would say that chrysler/dodge would be the popular van of choice for the money, dont really know much about the windstar and or the montanas tho, I think most people that are looking for a used domestic minivan chrysler/dodge is the one that comes to mind right away.

dirtsniffer
08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
dont buy a chrysler ever... i swear to god they make they trannys out of glass

Scuderia
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Anything that is Dodge/Chrysler is garbage, especially vans. Not only is the overall quality shitty, the mechanical quality is so cheap, it would never justify buying one. This is from experience, at my shop, we have an engine/transmission removal bay, basically the bay where only vehicles that need an engine/tranny go. 7 out of 10 times, it's a chrysler dodge vehicle there. The trucks always need motors and the cars and vans need transmissions. If you don't want anything import, get a gm. The new gm suv's and crossovers are solid.

A3GTiVR6SC
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I drove a 2002 Grand caravan 3.3L for over a year with absolutely no problems... Stay away from 3.0L versions of the caravan as they were known for headgasket problems. (3.3, 3.8=timing chain, 3.0=timing belt).. My father has owned his 99 for over 6 years with only having to change the trans once(diff blew). It really depends how you treat them.;)

And yes.. The transmissions were known to be very weak on them so you can't launch it hard like most people who ruin them typically do.

GM=:thumbsdow

old&slow
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Don't!

Bushy
08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the input, I agree that if you maintain it well its more likely to be fine. Thats the unfortunate problem with buying used, you never know how it was treated. Even if I maintain it properly, it could have been mistreated previousely and lead to an issue.

Xtrema
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I have a 2008. It's more trouble than it's worth. Trust me. It's the biggest POS ever.

The new gen stow and go is better. The old gen in 2004 is horrid. Nobody over 100lb will be comfortable in it. Still, standard unfoldable captain chair is best.

IMO, a used Sienna would be best bet. If you're buying a used Odyssey, make sure it's 04 and above. Anything older have a greater chance on tranny issues.

Windstar/Freestar is junk as well. I never heard any mechanical issue with Montana but the 3rd row bench is torture on long trips for anyone over 5' tall.

I have no experience with the Koreans but they don't even sell minivans any more, so a used one will be rare.

benyl
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Our family has had a 2001, 2004, 2006, and now a 2010.

Stow and go is convenient. But if you don't use all the seats all the time, you are carrying all that extra weight around all the time.

Power doors are a nightmare.

We never kept one outside of warranty, so I can't tell you what happens after that. Most were only driven 40K kms, so try to find a low mileage one.

Maxt
08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
I have a 2003, I really don't like it as a vehicle, but truth be told, it has been pretty damned reliable. Its also very good at carrying lots of stuff, especially good if you have kids. Dodge/chrysler has had the number one minivan well, basically since they invented it.
I really didn't think much of them before I owned one, what made me by a Dodge caravan was the advice from one of my customers who had tried every make of van for their traveling salesmen, and found the Dodge outlasted all other makes by about 3:1 in the mileage department. They recently retired one, IIRC that had over 700,000 km's on the clock, and they have a few in service with over 400,000 km's.. They are commercial vehicles so they carry weight, but they are also serviced meticulously.
I keep threatening to get rid of mine because I hate driving it, but it does what its supposed to do well enough, that I can't bring myself to off it.
Keep in mind that none of the big v6's in vans/sport utes get any kind of gas mileage.. My Caravan gets about the same mileage as my 1 ton Dodge diesel and diesel is a little cheaper to buy than gas.

spacerz
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
Don't!

Quoted for the truth. Don't waste your money man. Chrysler/Dodge minivans are super sketch. Parents owned a 2004 ish one...nothing but problems.

muse017
08-06-2010, 03:11 AM
WASTE OF MONEY!! BUY A USED SIENNA or GM

Kloubek
08-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Siennas are pretty much bulletproof. But they are also a ton more expensive.

I'd be tempted, in your situation, to buy an older van... like a Previa. I'd sooner have a 97 previa over a 2004 Dodge any day.

thepyrofish
08-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Drove a brand new one as a rental for 3 weeks. Biggest piece of crap ever. Looks like crap. The interior is cheap and uncomfortable (also, looks like crap). It handles even worse than my sisters 98 Caravan (if that's possible). Didn't have one long enough to judge it mechanically. Plus it has that goofy plastic non-key thing that I despise. If it's going to be keyless make it keyless, don't give me this shitty little plastic nub thing.

Hate 'em. I agree with Kloubek, older Previa over newer Dodge. The Previas are supercharged too :D

911fever
08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Why get a van? Do you really need 7 seats? Because the Caravan is just crap, my parents spent way too much money into theirs (2001) for no good reason. They are junk!!

red99600
08-06-2010, 09:20 AM
caravans are hit or miss

Anomaly
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
My Family had 2 Caravans, a 95 and a 01'

The 95 had the 3.3 and ~330k, the only money ever put into it besides maintenance/wear items was a master cylinder. It was even offroaded by me a couple of times.

The 01 needed a power window motor, and struts at 100k...

All in all I hated driving them, but I can't complain about the reliability.

The other upside for you is resale value... the dodges have none. So you should be able to pick up a decent van for next to nothing and drive it in to the ground.

masoncgy
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, avoid the Caravan... you're just looking for trouble.

If there's a budget involved, I would stick with the GM Venture/Montana line... the only real major mechanical concern is the weak lower intake manifold gasket on the 3.4L V6, which is prone to leaks. GM fixed a lot of these under warranty, so definitely do your homework if you find one you like to determine if the problem has been fixed already.

Outside of that issue, they are pretty solid. The 2005+ Uplander/Montana SV6 use a different engine which I have not heard anything bad about, so if you can find a 2005+ model, it's a good choice.

bjstare
08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, if it hasn't been said enough.. avoid the Caravan. My parents had an '04 grand caravan (3.3), and it was ok before it hit 100K, after that everything started falling apart, it was atrocious. They got a great deal on a higher trim '05 with the 3.8.... that was also garbage. Power door failures, engine light always on.. they got rid of that right away. Ended up going to a new Forester after that haha.

Definitely suggest going a few years older and getting an import.

TeHashu
08-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Parents own a 07 Sienna and had zero problems with it since they got it in 08. I also worked at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership and drove a lot of Caravans (especially used). Stay away from them at all cost.

IMO you cant afford to be cheap. So go with a Sienna/Odyssey (remember the resale value on these compared to a Dodge)

You're going to initially pay less for a Caravan but problems with it will probably arise less than 6 months after you buy one. Not to mention that dealerships selling these are extremely good at hiding major problems with temporary fixes.

Bushy
08-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, keep it coming. Ill definately look at the Montana some more. Im looking for a van because thats what the wife wants. We have our second child on the way and do alot of camping and she wants a van. I cant talk her into a truck(tried very hard), but possibly a equinox/torrent. But she still really likes the idea of a van, and our budget it pretty tight. I will be getting the vehicle from a wholesaler friend tho, so I can get a good price. Im going to hit up a local dealer and see if I can test drive a caravan and montana if they have one. Ive driven both in the past, but never really paid attention to the feel of it.

masoncgy
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Man, I wish my wife would have gone for a van, but there was absolutely no convincing her.

We went with a Saturn Vue... she just refused to have a minivan and I have no idea why. We have a little girl... it's so much easier to load/unload out of a van.

Good luck on the search!

jonnycat
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Mazda 5. great fuel economy, 6 passenger, doesn't look like ass and cheap. Many 06-07's in the $12k-16K range

http://www.scottblogs.com/images/2008-mazda-5.jpg
http://www.autointell.com/asian_companies/mazda/mazda-5-2004/mazda5_53-300-338.jpg

911fever
08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
get an Equinox then, they are pretty reliable and very cheap used.

Bushy
09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
So the wife got her way, just got a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 122,000kms. Its pretty descent, pulls my tent trailer with ease, handles nice, interior is fairly basic but got a great deal on it for $5400 safety inspected with new tires, so I couldnt say no.

Vanner
09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, the OP's wife had gotten a new van ... but thought I'd throw my 2 cents for anyone who might be looking for a minivan.
Originally posted by masoncgy

If there's a budget involved, I would stick with the GM Venture/Montana line... the only real major mechanical concern is the weak lower intake manifold gasket on the 3.4L V6, which is prone to leaks. GM fixed a lot of these under warranty, so definitely do your homework if you find one you like to determine if the problem has been fixed already.

Outside of that issue, they are pretty solid. The 2005+ Uplander/Montana SV6 use a different engine which I have not heard anything bad about, so if you can find a 2005+ model, it's a good choice.

Stay away from 2001-2003 Montanas if they are showing beyond 100 kms above. I had one friend who owned a 2001 Montana and its transmission had broke down. He said it cost over $2,500 by the shop to swap in a new rebuilt one in! He said that's the cheapest he can find around - most other shops go for upward to $4,000. I'd help him in repairing his van few times so I knew what the van is like. Hate it by the design.

He decided enough is enough as he said too much $$ keeping it in service - sold it away and brought a 2005 Dodge Dakota pickup and is happy since.

SRT
09-21-2010, 08:56 AM
From what I've heard, the Vans built in St. Louis were the crap ones and the ones built in Windsor Ontario were the better ones.

FWIW

:dunno:

Stealth22
09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Bushy
So the wife got her way, just got a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 122,000kms. Its pretty descent, pulls my tent trailer with ease, handles nice, interior is fairly basic but got a great deal on it for $5400 safety inspected with new tires, so I couldnt say no. :facepalm:

If not a Sienna or Odyssey, you could've at least gone with a Venture/Uplander/Montana, or a Mazda 5 as someone suggested. GM is the only domestic brand that I would even think of trusting. My parents had a 1996 Caravan...we had nothing but problems with it.

I know its a moot point now, but for anyone else looking for a van....ANYTHING but Chrysler!