PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage estimates WTF

realazy
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I won't list any names right now because we're still waiting for the final estimate from the insurance company.

So our car got damaged on the July 12 hailstorm and was told to go to a appraisal day by the insurance company which was at a PDR shop. They quote a low price saying that they can do everything PDR (~2.5K). "It's the perfect case for PDR"

I take it to another place to get fixed (a place where the PDR tech is partnering with a body shop) thinking that it would be simple. They come back to tell me that most the damage is too severe to be PDR'd and it should be fixed conventionally, giving another quote (~10k). Most likely hood and roof will need to be replaced.

So if I haven't gone to this PDR + body shop place #2, I would have been totally screwed going with the first PDR shop. They would probably have just pushed the dents out not caring about the paint being all messed up and/or the dents having ripples.

So be careful with PDR shops claiming they can do everything.

Iqoair
08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I'd rather have a good PDR job, vs panels being welded in (IE: ROOF) & paint that doesn't blend in exactly the same as the other panels.

BlackArcher101
08-05-2010, 09:49 PM
How did you come to the conclusion it was the first PDR guy that was screwing you over and not the second, without a 3rd opinion as a tie-breaker?

realazy
08-05-2010, 09:50 PM
The thing I should add is that the roof has those channels, and many of the dents are actually on the ridges. Even if it's not a new roof, at least a proper fill + sand.

http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_img/products/Honda/NewCRVImages/HondaCRVCrossBars.jpg

Ok fine, it's with our sponsor TomCo where he explained clearly the limitations of PDR and they gave the second quote.

The talk with him along with his detailed thread with tons of pictures of the limitations of PDR is why I believe that his recommendation is better for our vehicle.

P.S. I'll also add that the quotes include a new windshield and 6 pieces of chrome window trim that add up to $1200 so the quote is extremely low.

I'm surprised shops are willing to do it at this rate, the insurance company is giving them about $10/dent.

guessboi
08-05-2010, 10:06 PM
If your insurance company is good, they should recommand you to do both the PDR and conventional method. There are some insurance companies out there that have a shop currently setup for their customers to drive in, get it estimated and work done right on the spot.

realazy
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
That's what place #2 is recommending, a combination of PDR + paint.

TomcoPDR
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't talk about the OP's case publicly for privacy purposes.

But yea this storm actually sucks that there're tons of vehicles effected (despite some of you thinks it's purely money in "my" pocket)...

AFAIK, Most, if not all insurance companies are just writing estimates for "PDR", and hope that magically the dents will disaapear... I can say most of the damage from the university area won't be PDR-able. (when I use that term, specifically PDR method won't restore your vehicle surface to the way it looked before hail damage, this means the smoothness and consistency of your orange peel, the flatness of the panel, etc...) Yea, some insurance will challenge weak PDR companies or techs to push dents that won't push out PROPERLY to an acceptable level (judged by peer of the same profession where they can't point out where the dents were), probably they scared of losing future work from those insurance.

I can't talk about the OP's case, but there's this "sample" ;) ;) where a customer had a brand new 2010 SUV, they had their dents estimated by a pure dent shop... But then the vehicle ended up where I'm working, but then you look at this vehicle, specifically the Right upper rail (between the front and rear door), there's a hail dent that's so crushed in, I have no idea how PDR would produce a PERFECT result (meaning I don't believe that could be done, and I'd like to have a chance to inspect the result of any PDR tech claiming that could be done 100%, untraceable)... Then I investigate further in this hail damaged SUV, you look on the roof, there are dents where it crushes the outward ribs (kind of like the vehicle OP is showing)... and then you look at the hood, at least 2 dents that are impacted near the windshield end where you can see the backside seem.

So my opinion was that in order for this customer to enjoy his vehicle to the ORIGINAL CONDITION BEFORE THE HAIL STORM, that certain parts of his SUV could be PDRed, but then some parts will require either replacement of parts, or autobody repair of parts (i.e. bodyfiller, repaint)

Can't talk about the OP's case, but in the above GENERIC example... I got in shit from his insurance calling me a "cherry picker"... or that I wasn't as good as the original PDR shop who was able to "estimate" the entire vehicle PDR, etc... I tried explaining to this insurance company, the insured should have the right to get their vehicle back to the shape it was before the hail storm (or a collision)... and PDR alone cannot provide that to the entire vehicle, unless it was HACKED UP... then he tries to play some guilt trip on me telling me it doesn't matter what I felt or how it doesn't matter if you could see the PDR repair afterwards (in theory, you won't spot the best PDR work, get it, it's suppose to look the way before the dents), as long as the customers sign off on the claim, that's all it matters to him. (that was the impression I got)

Conversation went in loops like that, and I didn't even get home till 12am that day. :(

But yea, that's just one EXAMPLE above. (any similar cases are purely just coincidence.)

Next week when American PDR techs get their immigrantion work visas, people will all of a sudden get phone calls about repair openings... All sorts of PDR work being put out in this city, of course just like bodywork, some will be decent, and some won't.

TomcoPDR
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
How did you come to the conclusion it was the first PDR guy that was screwing you over and not the second, without a 3rd opinion as a tie-breaker?

Because the 2nd guy is me. :poosie: Actually, it would be perfect if OP can bring the vehicle to other shops too, see what they think.

ok seriously, well for the hail dents (this is how I make a living, fixing dents) are to a point where I feel "my abilities" won't be able to restore it to an original condition, then I don't get paid because I'm not fixing those dents using PDR.

I'm kinda hoping OP would take his vehicle to this super duper 1st dent shop, just wanna learn how they do it.

Willie Bobo
08-05-2010, 11:14 PM
There are American PDR guys here already, along with Toronto and the rest of Canada, but these guys are not willing to work for what the locals have set as the standard rate in Calgary. Expect to see a sea change on how much everyone gets paid over the coming months and in the future as these foreigners are pushing hard to be paid what they are worth, rather than bending over to the insurance industry for ten bucks a dent.

There's also some really poor estimates being written now by long time experienced (conventional) estimators that have little to no PDR training and are just throwing numbers out there on PDR estimates that no one will actually work for.

TomcoPDR
08-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Quite the opposite, they'd fight to get the work, what's the easiest way? "CHEAP"

So they start pushing damages that shouldn't be pushed using PDR, fly-in, fly-out.

I hope Beyonders will spot some "Auto hail repair" party tents in parking lots and shit... that's how the states do it; insurance issues cheque (this is Canada, we spell it CHEQUE, not "check") and then it's up to the vehicle owner to shop around for bodyshops or dent shops to get their hail damage fix... so after a hail storm, usually PDR companies would tent out at department store parking lots and customers can choose from a wide range of prices.

Willie Bobo
08-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Quite the opposite, they'd fight to get the work, what's the easiest way? "CHEAP"

So they start pushing damages that shouldn't be pushed using PDR, fly-in, fly-out.

Sorry but there's tons and tons of work to go around and these guys are fighting hard to be paid the standard rate they're used to in other markets. I've seen it first hand with two separate (Ontario based) companies that have set up shop here with staff from across North America. They are not willing to work for $10/dent and are insisting on using a matrix where each panel starts at $100 minimum. The fight is on...

TomcoPDR
08-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Matrix (chart pricing) is actually a really good system for an attempt to put a standard to PDR industry.

If you wanna talk about $10/dent is "cheap"... what about 200 dent count on a hood panel, are you telling me the insurance will pay a PDR tech/company or whatever $10 *200 = $2,000 on a hood panel? (of course not, this is where a new hood is replaced)

Same with roofs, van and suv roofs would easily have 300-500 dent counts, $5,000 PDR roofs? When it only cost $1,000 for a new roof and roughly 20-25 bodyman hours to replace. (20 hours * average $70 shop rate = $1,400 bodyshop labour plus $1,000 new panel)

So in that case, the $10/dent doesn't work too well neither... and what about $10/ tennis ball size hail where a fender only has 2. Even if I pocket the entire $20, those are really not just $20 dents to be fixed properly (when inspected by anyone, even professionals), on top of that some of these dents are so deep it can't be PDR.

Willie Bobo
08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
So basically in all of your examples you're saying the whole $10/dent deal doesn't work and I fully agree. I've seen one estimate written by an experienced (conventional) estimator with a mixture of PDR and bodywork with the PDR portion being a grand total of $50 on three panels! It's not worth it for a tech to even look at. That's why a standardize matrix is so important and it's why these out of towners are pushing so hard for it as without one no one really knows how to write a proper estimate.

TomcoPDR
08-06-2010, 12:15 AM
And don't get me wrong, sometimes $10/dent will work out well for everybody (save insurance money, PDR-able dents counted properly, higher dented panels goes to bodyshop so they don't lose out, etc...)

BUT, with the Maxtrix system too, if you read the fine lines (pending on the company), R&I times of panels are already included (exclude roof). So once estimated, as long as the dent counts and sizes are correct, any other PDR company where the customer brings it to can't turn around to the original appraiser trying to ask for more R&I items. (with the $10 system, you'd have an initial PDR company that estimated with the insurance, the vehicle goes to another PDR shop, then tries to get more hours for removing all sorts of interior panels; some legit request, some not)

With matrix, the side panel prices are factored in where the tech averages fairly if they have to remove anything to access the backside of the dent. (yes, some are 2 minute headlamps, but got to remember the 10-20 minute door panels, complex taillamps, etc...)

Now, if a tech actually remove necessary items so the dents can be removed "properly", that's another discussion right, lol.

TomcoPDR
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Also be cautious and vigilante about your claim.

What's happening is that PDR companies might not be able to partner with a local bodyshop for whatever reasons, because this storm has a lot of damage that limits PDR. (i.e. with my PDR work, its going out the door under the bodyshop's reputation/name, if it wasn't up to their standards, I wouldn't be there long cuz they could easily try to find someone else)

So PDR companies find ways around this by making certain deals with insurance co's and they directly rent some generic (will be closed down once hail PDR is pumped out) warehouse, and get the insurance co's to make 2 seperate estimates on the same hail damaged vehicle (if the vehicle needs a combination of PDR and bodyshop)... One's for PDR work (maybe the doors, fenders), and then once the PDR aspects are "done" and customer signs off specifically on the PDR only... then it's up to the customer to take the second seperate estimate sheet and try to make an appointment with a local bodyshop. :rofl:

With PDR partnered inside bodyshop, everyone works together making sure the vehicle's booked in for PDR, and then the necessary parts (i.e. hood panel replacement) are ordered, and then goes straight into the shop... so when everything's said and done your entire hail damage claim is taken care of through 1 pick-up/name (i.e. even hail damaged windshield, it's coordinated with windshield contractors)... But this process require the bodyshop trusting the sub-contractor PDR guys/company they "hire" or "sublet" and of course there are cases where the bodyshop won't have space/bays to host the extra PDR techs, so it is legit why PDR techs would be in a generic warehouse.

Or hey it could be reversed too, a PDR shop subcontracts the bodyshop aspect of the hail claim to a bodyshop, and then customer picks up vehicle under the PDR shop's name/responsiblity. (this way is hardly, because bodyshops usually need more time to arrange appointments)

But you just need to do your own research of what's happening, and who's doing the work, where's the utlimate invoice/receipt going to be issued from (don't get scared, there are good American PDR techs or out-of-Alberta techs who are in local bodyshops or warehoused but under bodyshop invoice. SO if any quality issues come up, the invoice is under those local bodyshop's names which you should be able to fall back on)... IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, you probably don't want to find out 6 months later IF you notice poor PDR work, that it was done and you signed off the PDR aspect from "California dent" or "Florida PDR" (I just made those names up, please let me know if these are your actual business names), and your only recourse for noticing poor craftsmanship is file a complaint through the "better business society" type of useless club; in America. :rofl:

And to be fair to the competitors so nobody can accuse me of putting ppl down... people need to do a research on my work as well. It's actually more of a misfortune it hailed in my own city, can't pump and dump my work then hide in my hometown :(

sneek
08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by realazy
The thing I should add is that the roof has those channels, and many of the dents are actually on the ridges. Even if it's not a new roof, at least a proper fill + sand.

Ok fine, it's with our sponsor TomCo where he explained clearly the limitations of PDR and they gave the second quote.

The talk with him along with his detailed thread with tons of pictures of the limitations of PDR is why I believe that his recommendation is better for our vehicle.

Wise choice. TomCo is insanely good at what he does.

I paid him a visit quite a while ago, to see what could be done with a dent I got from some kid falling off his bike.

Tom clearly explained what could and couldn't be done.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I ended up leaving-having paid him nothing actually...and I think he gave me a key chain :rofl:

A lot of the time you will find detailing companies doing the same thing. They promise customers that they can take out key scratches, and god knows what else, when it is fairly clear that they can't deliver. :facepalm:

TomcoPDR
08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Here's an example, this is an actual Calgary July 12, 2010 hail damaged vehicle.

aQHWqJ29oQc
wzDPCiPMg10
U5fIzsyZk4w

Shots like these, I wouldn't wanna put my name as PDR-able. But there are estimates out there written for PDR for shots like this. There are also insurances who "strongly encourages" PDR companies or techs to just "push the dents out" on deep, stretched hail dents like these... Why? It's all 'bout money (or saving of $$$)

Sure, a "PDR guy" can work on it... will it come out looking reasonable? (defined by when a "dent guy" is finished, can anybody regardless professional or not, spot where the dents were or worked on; key word is would it be acceptable???, which is only an open end opinion)

So I'd recommend certain particular parts to be bodyshop repaired/replaced, I (as a PDR person) get NO money when I do that, FYI. I do it because I don't feel it's fair for the vehicle owner to get sub-par finishing that's not proper for a particular damage.

But basically most claims are just being written PDR now (AFAIK), in reality because of the surge in supply of "dent whores" (professionally used term) for big volume storms in big cities, it's a free for all, there'll be bound to be someone willing to work on anything, for anything.

And just to be fair, I'm letting everyone know that nothing that any PDR companies/techs do (the work) is "illegal"... just like detailing, bodyshop work, tile work... the end result is open for arguementative interpretation, I do not dictate what's "right" or "wrong"... (neither does competitors or other techs) So I'm not telling anybody anything to not trust PDR or not use PDR or don't trust "the other guys"... Legally they can or welcome to come on here and tell y'all everything I said is a load of shit too, and I probably wouldn't argue with them neither. (i.e. hey, pushing these deep dents saves money over bodyshop, true... faster turnaround, true... customer believes the vehicle to be repaired and signs off, true; completely different than what I'm saying, true)

heavyD
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Monnex has booked an appointment for my wife's vehicle at one of these dent places. Do we have the right to get a proper estimate from a body shop as well as the hood has probably 50 dents and needs to be replaced.

realazy
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Big thanks to Thomas and the shop he's at for fighting with the insurance company for me.

My insurance finally approved a $7500 claim to replace and refinish some body panels that should not be PDR'd (as Thomas put it).

g-m
08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Monnex has booked an appointment for my wife's vehicle at one of these dent places. Do we have the right to get a proper estimate from a body shop as well as the hood has probably 50 dents and needs to be replaced. I would like to know the answer to this question as well as I am with monnex and wondering if I'll get a runaround as well. Been waiting over 2 weeks for a call from an adjuster.

stardotstar
08-12-2010, 07:45 PM
monnex booked an appointment with A1 auto body for my estimate. I don't really want to get A1 to do the repair on vehicle and would like a better shop to make the repairs. They wouldn't allow me to go any where else to make an estimate because they told me that they were the only ones qualified to do it or their own estimators to come by and look at it. I have a lot of dents on my hood and roof of my SUV.

tom_9109
08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I know that in most cases the insurance companies are guaranteeing that the PDR work be 100%. If some PDR hack fixes 90% theres no benefit to PDR because that insurance company then has to pay for the conventional repair in addition to the sub par PDR repair. I have seen around a thousand hail claims personally and I can tell you that 80% can be repaired through PDR without issue and there nothing to worry about. The other 20% require a combination of PDR and conventional or straight conventional repair. In these cases an reasonable insurer is going to suggest going that route as PDR isn't an option and they are aware of it.

heavyD
08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by g-m
I would like to know the answer to this question as well as I am with monnex and wondering if I'll get a runaround as well. Been waiting over 2 weeks for a call from an adjuster.

I guess it depends on the car and the damage as my wifes Outlander has an aluminum hood and the adjuster said they can't do PDR effectively on aluminum (didn't know that) and did up a $10,500 estimate that included a new hood and roof that I could have the work done at any shop.

tom_9109
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
There is no much different information floating around. For example a lot of PDR people have no issue with aluminum hoods/trunk lids. Just takes them a little longer to do it. Most insurance companies pay an additional 25% on these repairs.

G-ZUS
08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
does anyone know if TD MM goes by the matrix or do they have their own way of assessing damages?

tom_9109
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
does anyone know if TD MM goes by the matrix or do they have their own way of assessing damages?

"The Matrix" doesn't really exist. However there are about 4 different matrixes that are all very similar. From what I know TD is using whichever matrix is in effect by their PDR provider at each drive in center. I know the are using both the Dent Squad Matrix and the Canadian Hail Repair Matrix which are very similar to each other and other matrixes out there.

At the end of the day all the dents are gone regardless of which matrix or method is followed.

canadian_hustla
08-17-2010, 10:08 PM
monnex referred me to fixauto. is fixauto any good?

benz_890
08-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Are the insurance companies giving out cheques if you don't want to get it fixed?

cream
08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
oh man.. i think my car was hit harder than anyone else out there... ill go.... take a video.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs080.snc4/35382_458750903032_553838032_6083232_4656757_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs040.ash2/35382_458750873032_553838032_6083226_2961350_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs052.snc4/34958_458750953032_553838032_6083237_8359530_n.jpg

=(

ExtraSlow
08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by benz_890
Are the insurance companies giving out cheques if you don't want to get it fixed?
Wondering this as well. I was caught in the Shawnessy hailstorm last night, and I've got a good number of small/shallow dents on hood and roof. This vehicle is kind of a beater, so i don't think these small dents really decrease it's value, and I don't care if it gets fixed.

Bimmer88
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Extraslow,

Same here man! I'm pissed I moved my car ASAP into the garage and it still got damaged. And my gf's car is worst! It has an ripply orange peel effect now.

I've called the insurance and they said I should take it to Contemporary Motorsport for repairs, but I think I'll get an estimate from TomCo first and see which is cheaper.

The thing about bodyshops I'm worried about is that they'll sand it and fill it in, is that bad? or shouldn't the metal be pulled out first?

Steve

SRT8
08-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I guess it depends on the car and the damage as my wifes Outlander has an aluminum hood and the adjuster said they can't do PDR effectively on aluminum (didn't know that) and did up a $10,500 estimate that included a new hood and roof that I could have the work done at any shop.

Same for me. Monnex guy took one look at my hood and said it needs to be replaced. It has around 55 good dents and will cost $2700. They are going to do PDR on the rest of the car. He said if the PDR isn't perfect, then they'll replace parts.

Monnex has been awesome for me so far. No nickel and diming at all.

Vanner
08-27-2010, 06:49 AM

The key quote is THIS! It all come down in what each car by its shape and design - each damage is unique. I've seen too many claims at my work for too many years (20+ yrs). I know what it take to do a proper repair on a car but the final decision come from the boss and will do per the boss' orders.

Recently last week I did a 2009 Civic Accord with the hail damage- did almost 80% of the whole car by repair and it's not with PDR. This car was from the dealer straight along with a new aluminum hood and couple of parts. That's it.

That was done with the delaer's insurance FTW. Oh, you CANNOT do with PDR with aluminum panels! I had witnessed in person by demo so I know that.

mittensthekitty
08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
cream, I think you have us beat, but not by much.

My fiancee has a 2010 Pontiac Vibe AWD that she JUST got in April, and it sustained an appraised $12,000 worth of damage that actually worked out to be just north of $13,000 at Boyd Autobody and Glass.

Incidentally, I think there's going to be another thread about our experience, but the conclusion is this: Yes, if you want it done right, it really does have to be a combination of PDR and conventional bodywork.

In this particular case, lots of hits were along body ridges and lines. There wasn't a single body panel that didn't have some sort of damage. As far as I know, a new roof panel actually had to be welded in in this case, and I wouldn't have wanted it done any other way even for the benefit of paint matching.

TomcoPDR
08-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Vanner

The key quote is THIS! It all come down in what each car by its shape and design - each damage is unique. I've seen too many claims at my work for too many years (20+ yrs). I know what it take to do a proper repair on a car but the final decision come from the boss and will do per the boss' orders.

Recently last week I did a 2009 Civic Accord with the hail damage- did almost 80% of the whole car by repair and it's not with PDR. This car was from the dealer straight along with a new aluminum hood and couple of parts. That's it.

That was done with the delaer's insurance FTW. Oh, you CANNOT do with PDR with aluminum panels! I had witnessed in person by demo so I know that.

Neither the 2009 Honda CIVIC, nor the 2009 Honda ACCORD were made with aluminum panels.

What were the conditions which you witnessed PDR which the individual tech themself cannot remove dents on aluminum? (or misjudge taking on a job that he/she shouldn't had) Was it only based on ONE dent tech that the bodyshop boss brough in? Was it based on dents where it was "too big" for PDR (for aluminum) but the tech was encouraged to "try their best" because the vehicle owner nor the bodyshop wanted to paint it?

It goes back to the golden word, "DEPENDS"... depends on the PDR tech, depends on the size, depth, location of the dent within the aluminum panel...

BMW 7-series, aluminum hood, PDRed... because dents were proper size for PDR.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/attach.jpg

Aston Martin Vanquish, all aluminum except quarter panels... PDRed. (and again, dents were appropriate size)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/attach6.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/attach5.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/attach4.jpg

Mercedes CL63, PDRed except for trunk... Aluminum hood, aluminum pillar rails, aluminum trunk (that was replaced)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/mb63.jpg

So I got witnesses, vehicle owners, bodyshop owner, bodyshop journeymen (10, 20, 30+ year experience) who can tell "YOU" PDR works on aluminum (again on CERTAIN damages, more limits than metal). I don't even like working on high-end vehicles, more risk, pay doesn't reflect... but if PDR didn't "work" on these aluminum, doubt anyone would accept them.

Not trying to talk about "myself", SO I can send you a list of the hundreds of PDR techs flowing around this city. (competitors, out of town techs, best of the best from all over, worst of the worst)... so to be fair you need to sample a group of PDR techs before making a solid comment like that.

That's like me watching ONE painter mis-match tri-stage paint on a panel, and telling everyone repaint can never replicate tri-stage reasonably. (for those who don't know, it's a pearl-like clearcoat, gives off an enhanced level of reflection over the base color, really hard to match)

Khyron
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
For what it's worth, my Legacy got PDR'd for about 7000 dollars (every panel was pounded) and it's flawless - I can't tell a mark anywhere. I was sure they'd have to weld on new panels, but nope. And the guy said aluminum was far easier to work with.

KRZY403
10-27-2010, 01:40 AM
I envy you guys that already have your vehicles all fixed up or in the process of being fixed. My experience with Meloche Monnex has just been abysmal so far. Adjuster doesn't return calls, I had to call the bodyshop to book my own appointment, had to call in to TD to find out what the estimates were when I should have been notified when it was complete and all the waiting I've been doing since July 12.

It's been 2 and half weeks since I got another estimate done at another bodyshop and I'm still waiting for them to return my calls and email for the estimate. How is it that after 3 phone calls, leaving msgs and an email that they cannot find the time to get back to me? Unbelievable... :facepalm:

ExtraSlow
10-27-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm with TDMM, and it's been a bit of a mess so far. the first PDR shop actually closed up shop and went back to Quebec without doing all the estimates, let alone getting to the repairs.
The second shop would never call me back to book an appointment.
Third shop seems OK, I'm booked in for an estimate next week.

Been just over two months, and still haven't had anyone give me an estimate.

My adjuster has been good when I phone him, always answers. However you can pretty much tell how TDMM treats the shops that work for it by how they treat TDMM customers.

Crossing my fingers for a write-off.

bignerd
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by stardotstar
monnex booked an appointment with A1 auto body for my estimate. I don't really want to get A1 to do the repair on vehicle and would like a better shop to make the repairs. They wouldn't allow me to go any where else to make an estimate because they told me that they were the only ones qualified to do it or their own estimators to come by and look at it. I have a lot of dents on my hood and roof of my SUV.

*bullshit* You have the right to have your car repaired anywhere you choose. A1 may be one of your insurance companies "preferred" shops meaning the insurance companies guarantees their workmanship and refers business to them while they discount their work for the insurance claim...... Why don't you just have their esitmator(your insurance companies) come to you and then go to whatever shop you want?

You can have your car repaired by any legitimate shop you want, however if you have a problem with the repair, you are own your own to deal with it if you do not use a preferred shop.

I myself went to A-1 along time ago to have a minor repair made and I had to take my car back to have it re-done due to poor quality/finish. I have never gone back. I believe they use to be good, then got too big and are just like any other shop now. They took my car back and re-did the repair and it was done properly the SECOND time...

rc2002
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
As stated before, I would much rather keep the original paint and go with PDR instead of having panels replaced and repainted. It might be more expensive to repaint panels, but it'll never be as good as factory paint IMO.

If it were me, I would get it PDR'd first. And then if that didn't workout, then I would resort to replacing/repainting panels.

realazy
10-27-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess I forgot to update this. The shop where Thomas is fixed our SUV perfectly.

The paint matches 100%, the hood, roof, fenders, and rear hatch all look perfect. The areas that needed PDR are also perfect.

:thumbsup: to Thomas and the body shop.

alloroc
10-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
monnex referred me to fixauto. is fixauto any good?

I had horrible service there several years ago.

Had to sell the car after.

Scuderia
10-27-2010, 10:59 PM
So just for clarification, can someone explain what insurance companies are making you go through if your car is hail damaged? I'm assuming the car got the hail damage, you called your insurance company, they told you to go get multiple estimates. Then if the damage is too much, they take your car and give you a cheque, if it's not too much, they pay to have it fixed?

cream
10-27-2010, 11:16 PM
^
I know for my hail damage, I had to book with TDMM for an appraisal. Mine turned out to be 14000+$ of damage. (He stopped after that.) He told me that my car is a total write off and will be send to the total loss dept, got a choice to either take the car + 7K (losing natural disaster coverage), or take 14K. I chose the latter, and got a new car. =)

BUT, you're probably wondering about those who had to look around for shops, just my story here haha.

KRZY403
10-27-2010, 11:36 PM
^ I see you got another celica. Really like the tsunami kit. Prob best looking of them all. :thumbsup:

SpeedIllusion
10-27-2010, 11:47 PM
I was able to talk to my insurance company to let me take my car where I wanted it to get fixed. I ended up taking it to screamin' paintworks(been there for about 1.5 weeks now), I know I should have asked but do they do PDR or the conventional method or both?

I was quoted around 11K worth of damages from 2 separate shops.

Khyron
10-28-2010, 12:02 AM
They told me to take my car to their preferred shop, I did, they estimated and fixed it within 2 weeks (car was in shop for 2 days). They paid me 30/day to borrow my mom in laws truck since rentals were out. Damage was 8K on a 08 legacy. Absolutely painless. That's with Aviva.

Scuderia
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
They told me to take my car to their preferred shop, I did, they estimated and fixed it within 2 weeks (car was in shop for 2 days). They paid me 30/day to borrow my mom in laws truck since rentals were out. Damage was 8K on a 08 legacy. Absolutely painless. That's with Aviva.

Now that they fixed it, are you covered if it hails again, or no? Also, when someone does a carfax, it would show that the car was damaged in a hailstorm and the estimate for repairs right?

Khyron
10-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia

Now that they fixed it, are you covered if it hails again, or no? Also, when someone does a carfax, it would show that the car was damaged in a hailstorm and the estimate for repairs right?

If I took the 8K in cash, then my car would not be covered for hail again. But since it was fixed, it was back under full coverage as if it had never happened.

It would not show in carfax because it was not a total/salvage. It was just a hit and repair, same as if you got a minor rear ender.

This was proven, since 2 months later (last week in fact) a girl ran a stop sign in her tuscon and I hit her broadside, totalling both vehicles. Insurance has already cut me a cheque for almost as much as I purchased the car for, 2 years ago. So the hail damage/repair did not impact the value at all.

Point is, if you have a beater (or you don't care about the damage) take the money. You could even wait till the rush dies down, get it fixed for much cheaper when all the PDR guys are hungry for work, and ... profit. If you prove the car is repaired (pictures, inspection) you can go back on hail coverage too.

Scuderia
10-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Im pretty sure it does show up on carfax, because A) it doesn't have to be salvaged to show up on carfax, even minor fender benders sometimes show up if they're reported, and B) my buddy went to buy a car and i told him it looks like its been painted, so sure enough he did a carfax and it showed a collision with a "windstorm" estimated at 12k.

cream
10-28-2010, 07:28 PM
No matter what, it'll show up on carfax as a 'claim' from your insurance. Dunno about specifics and $

SilverStreak
11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I took mine to Contemporary Coachworks and the work was flawless. The car came back good as new. I just had minor hail damage, around $3,500.

Highly recommended if you are meticulous about your car.

TomcoPDR
11-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
I took mine to Contemporary Coachworks and the work was flawless. The car came back good as new. I just had minor hail damage, around $3,500.

Highly recommended if you are meticulous about your car.

What kinda car do you have?

North or South location?

SilverStreak
11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
North location and it was on an IS F.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

What kinda car do you have?

North or South location?

SpeedIllusion
11-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm itching to see how my car is doing at Screamin', been there for about 2 weeks now, probably have a few more weeks to go.

JordanAndrew
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
I'm itching to see how my car is doing at Screamin', been there for about 2 weeks now, probably have a few more weeks to go.

Can't you just pop by and visit how the car is doing? I know when I had work done there I would just drop by quickly to check things out.

SpeedIllusion
11-05-2010, 01:09 AM
If I wasn't in Edmonton, I would haha

ExtraSlow
11-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm pretty stoked. Found out my Expedition is a write off from the Aug 22 hail, and they are offering me more than I paid for it. That's pretty fortunate for me, because that truck was starting to fall apart with several mechanical issues that were going to need expensive repairs in the next year or so. I'm happy to see it go.