PDA

View Full Version : Some more info on distracted driver legislation

calgary403
08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/rick_bell/2010/08/06/14941766.html

Here are a few quotes I thought were post-worthy

"On Thursday, Hanson tells theSuncity cops will be enforcing every letter of the law when it's given the green light-- A to Z. Zero tolerance."

"You will also not be able to enter info on a GPS unit"

"And yes, you can be charged "even if the driving performance appears unaffected" and you can be charged at a red light when your wheels aren't moving."

"Since some of you were asking, of the $172 whack to the wallet, $22 goes to the province's victims of crime fund and the rest goes to the police force issuing the ticket."

"The current proposal, however, doesn't care how you're driving. In fact, if you are driving badly you can get another ticket on top of the distracted driving one."

This city is getting ridiculous with the bylaws for everything.

I wonder if police are still going to be able to use their computers in their cars or if this law only applies to the citizens.

Kennyredline
08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Good. There are so many retards on the road doing stupid things behind the wheel. I don't do stupid crap when I'm driving; the most I do is talk on my hands-free for my cell, and I feel my attention being taken off the road even then, and I don't do it much.
It's just like any other law, if you abide by it, you support it, if you don't, you hate the laws and call them cash cows.

Sugarphreak
08-06-2010, 10:41 AM

BrknFngrs
08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
My only problem with this is that they're proposing that people be ticketed even if they are driving fine.

speedog
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
See old (and existing) thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/300442/province-introduces-distracted-driver-legislation/) about this.

derpderp
08-06-2010, 11:45 AM

know1edge
08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow i can't even do anything at a red light? ridiculous

old&slow
08-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I hope they enforce this thing big time.
I'd like to see them pull people over when they flail their arms about while talking to a passenger when they should be driving the damn vehicle!
When behind the wheel, you should be fully focused! Period!!

arian_ma
08-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I get all of this, and it's for the good, but why not at a red light???

I'm also wondering about the cop computers.

double-edit: :thumbsup:

sh0ko
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
this was all posted in the other thread. even the article. which by the way u failed to post the exclusions such as changing the radio, drinking coffee etc.

many of these issues are stated in the article. the only thing that some ppl fail to mention is ...how the hell does this apply to cps on their computers radios etc

1barA4
08-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I get all of this, and it's for the good, but why not at a red light???

I'm also wondering about the cop computers.

double-edit: :thumbsup:

Here's the link to the legislation from the other thread:
http://alberta.ca/acn/201004/28137FDF99AA6-A778-EEF5-958459FDA9C231ED.html

dansmith11
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
according to that link, this wont impact police and the use of their computers

"this legislation would not affect the official duties of emergency service personnel including enforcement, fire and medical services."

Sugarphreak
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Feruk
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Why not treat everyone like a 5 year old retarded half-blind boy? Sounds great! I agree that certain things should be illegal (text messaging for example), but to take it to the point where you can get a ticket despite perfect driving is insane.

If we're gonna do that, we should also require the elimination of advertisements on the side of roads. Those are a huge distraction.

Jetta-2.0
08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

If we're gonna do that, we should also require the elimination of advertisements on the side of roads. Those are a huge distraction.

g-m
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Stopped at red lights???? WTF??? I just can't see any possible way to justify that. I text while stopped but if I don't finish my message before the light turns green again I put my phone down and wait until the next light to finish it. Seriously...

Jetta-2.0
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Stopped at red lights???? WTF??? I just can't see any possible way to justify that. I text while stopped but if I don't finish my message before the light turns green again I put my phone down and wait until the next light to finish it. Seriously...

thats whats called a CASH COW

Bull for this matter:clap:
http://www.internet-based-business-mastery.com/images/PreviewoftheNewInternetBusinessMasterySi_1209E/yakfinal.jpg

frizzlefry
08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

...and lululemon jogging wear:love:

Maxt
08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Hanson's an idiot.. And the legislation itself is idiotic.
What's the difference between pushing a button on a gps, and pushing a button the heater controls of the car..
I see some contradictions, in the summary in the link it says it bans the use of laptops while driving, but then has a provision for video screens that relay vehicle status to the driver.. So you minimize your engine data screen and its illegal but tile the window and its ok? WTF..
Its a another cash cow, that could already be covered by existing laws.. Most likely the people facing the more expensive ticket of 402 were fighting them tooth and nail and it was consuming more resources than it was generating.
And really there is no data that supports what the government is saying to support this law, we really havent had a pandemic of distracted driver deaths.
And the personal hygiene thing? I can't even pick my nose anymore ? This government is fucked.. Everyone please call their MLA about this one..

Maxt
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, this should make Park plus triple the revenue its making now..