PDA

View Full Version : make sure your pink slips are updated!

rc2002
12-20-2003, 07:12 PM
What cops do when they're bored?

Short answer: They wait in my neighborhood for me to come home so they can pull me over.

Long answer: Today I was driving home on Sarcee after snowboarding. A truck was following me on Sarcee and I guess he wanted to see how his truck matched up with my car. So he pulled up beside me and we both punched it up the hill. He rolled down his window at the next set of traffic lights and told me that the S/C sounded sweet and that the car hauls ass...

Anyway, as I'm coming into my neighborhood a cop cruiser starts tailing me. And then another cruiser starts driving towards me (wrong way on the road). They both flip on their sirens and surround my car. Then they tell me that they had a complaint that I was speeding on Sarcee and said that the caller estimated the speed over 130. That's total BS because I was going uphill from a standstill and didn't even make it halfway up the hill at sarcee before we hit traffic.

Anyway the cop said that they were waiting for me to come home, and asked me (and my friend) for Driver's Licenses, registration, and insurance. Of course, I forgot to replace the expired pink slip with the new one and they dinged me with failure to produce valid insurance. $172! I wonder if having two (or more) cruisers hanging around my neighborhood waiting for me is over kill... Those cops could definitely be doing something more productive.

If I go to the CP and show my valid pink insurance slip, I'd probably be able to get it reduced right? I think $172 is way to steep for having valid insurance but forgetting to change it when it expires. It just expired a month ago.

So everyone check your pink insurance slips - it could save you $172!

Mckenzie
12-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Man. You are one bad mofo to have two cops hassle you for insurance....:rolleyes: Kinda overkill IMO.

They should have sent in the SWAT team to measure the decible output of your exhaust....

I almost got that ticket the other day. When I got pulled over for that u turn, I could not find my insurance. When I finally found it (last years), the cop had already written my ticket and told me to go.

I think you can fight that one no contest with a court date. Good luck. :)

Ben
12-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Sucks that the law states you must have all current documents whenever asked by a peace officer, but I'm sure you can get it reduced.

88CRX
12-20-2003, 07:35 PM
ya know whats funny.... i told everyone the exact same thing when i got that exact same ticket a few weeks back...

im going to talk to the cp on monday to get it reduced cause yes $172 for something stupid like that is ghey! so ill let you know how it goes.

Khyron
12-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Good god I go 140+ up that hill all the time. Someone actually phoned it in? Absurd! I expect I'll have the cops waiting for me one night cause I'm an ass to people that cut me off etc. At least they didnt take the callers word and try and ticket you for it (I got stopped in BC once cause some trucker/bus driver phoned me in).

Khyron

Primer_Drift
12-21-2003, 11:50 PM
That "complaint" was probably made by an off duty police officer, they tend to take something another officer witnesses very personally. When I was 16 I was asked by an off duty cop, rather rudely I might add, to turn down my stereo in the carwash lineup. Which I did, but not without asking why first. 10mins later 3 squadcars showed up to hassle me a bit. To my knowledge if the person making the complaint agrees to go to court to testify, you can be given a ticket after the fact for just about anything.

rc2002
12-22-2003, 10:15 AM
88CRX how'd the ticket fighting go today? I think I'll try to talk to the CP sometime this week. Maybe they'll show more lenience around Christmas time?

It makes sense that it was an off duty cop who made the complaint. I'm sure they wouldn't take a random citizen seriously because it could easily be someone taking petty revenge or playing a practical joke...

I wonder how long those police cruisers would've hung around by my house if I didn't go straight home. It's no wonder that there are shortages of police officers in Calgary if they waste their manpower doing things like this.

m10-power
12-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
To my knowledge if the person making the complaint agrees to go to court to testify, you can be given a ticket after the fact for just about anything.

Correct, but here is the catch you get to know exactly who they are including names/addresses...
That is enough for most people to leave it alone after calling in the complaint.
Again its their word against yours in court, much different then your word against a police officers.

redx2nv
12-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Heh, i have somewhat of a similar experience.

I was pulled over by a cop when i was driving my itr when it was snowing and really bad conditions outside( i just put coils on so my stock 15's were just tucking all around), and on a long weekend to boot. They guy asked me if i was having test driving cars today, i was like what are you talking about. he got all pissed off, yanked me out my car and threw me in the back ofhis cop car. He got my friend to grab my documents and threw him in the back to. He was all pissed because he thought i took the car from a lot and was ripping up and down the westend, but umm you know everything was closed on the holiday. He then questioned me why 5 police cruisers saw me speeding down the yellowhead, in which i never even went down that highway that day.

So all in all i sat in a cop car for about a hour listen to some guy yell at me and my friend. I had just purchased the car about 3 weeks ago and my insurance company is in ontario, so they had to fax me my pink slip.

He ended up giving me a ticket for faling to provide insurance , even though in reality i did. he calmed to down and told me to take it to court with a new pink slip and it would be thrown out.

So when the time comes i take the ticket to court, only to be yelled at by the crown prosecuter and how he was telling me that i am irresposible for not waiting 1.5 month so my insurance can send it in. So what the hell am i going to do, not drive?

6 months later and two court dates, i finally won.

rc2002
12-22-2003, 01:12 PM
5 cruisers saw an ITR speeding down the yellowhead and not even one of them bothered to chase it? And then they pull over the wrong guy? I would've been raging mad. I'm mad enough that I was pulled over, but you had to sit in a cruiser? That's just insane!!!

Glad to hear that you won though. :thumbsup:

88CRX
12-22-2003, 02:33 PM
they made the $177 fine into a $80 fine.. works with me :D

rc2002
12-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Congrats! I'd be happy with getting mine reduced to the same number. I'm going in tomorrow to see what they can do for me!

88CRX
12-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Congrats! I'd be happy with getting mine reduced to the same number. I'm going in tomorrow to see what they can do for me!

whatever you do be there at 8-8:15 or else youll be waiting till 1 like me :banghead:

redx2nv
12-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
5 cruisers saw an ITR speeding down the yellowhead and not even one of them bothered to chase it? And then they pull over the wrong guy? I would've been raging mad. I'm mad enough that I was pulled over, but you had to sit in a cruiser? That's just insane!!!

Glad to hear that you won though. :thumbsup:

I think the guy was just lying his ass off, at the time there was only two PY Itr's in edmonton, so i almost doubt it was the other guys.

I was fucking pissed, especially when i tried to file a compalint against him nothing happened. cops=cocksuckers:whipped:

rc2002
12-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advice - I HATE waiting in line. I'll go first thing in the morning then.

88CRX
12-22-2003, 03:13 PM
ya... the crown doesnt get there till 9-30 but if your there at 8 they'll just tell you to come back in an hour or whatever.

good luck:thumbsup:

l/l/rX
12-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Good god I go 140+ up that hill all the time. Someone actually phoned it in? Absurd! I expect I'll have the cops waiting for me one night cause I'm an ass to people that cut me off etc. At least they didnt take the callers word and try and ticket you for it (I got stopped in BC once cause some trucker/bus driver phoned me in).

Khyron

ahaha yea going up sarcee is great. never any cops at the top of the hill. *knock on wood* i've had my good and bad times going up there. got raped by a camaro going up there. and other misc fun times

88CRX
12-26-2003, 11:04 PM
so....... what happened?

rc2002
01-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Update: I just got back from my visit to the CP today. He cut the fine in half ($172 to $86) so I paid it right away.

I forgot to go in early though and ended up waiting in line from 9:45 to 12:45. I can think of better (and worse) ways to spend 3 hours...

gkAeris
01-15-2004, 11:33 PM
no offense

but it is wicked to be a girl,

got pulled over twice in the last year for speeding

one just wrote me a tickeet for my blue ricer lights no dermits
other followed me for a bit, pulled me over, just told me to "slow down" it's dangerous to go too fast and left

.........:D

*knocking on wood* hope that there is no third time