PDA

View Full Version : Advice on using used amp wire

-TOFU-
08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Hello Beyond, I have some used amp power wire sitting around in my storage room that I pulled out of my previous cars and I would like to use them to do an install on my other car, I took the car and amp power wire to Futureshop and the installer said he would refuse to do the install if the wire was used and he recommends me to buy a amp kit from them. He said that old wires only lasts for a certain amount of time and then it would have to be thrown out. I have inspected the wires over and over and did not see any cracks or cuts and looks like it has never been used. what are your thoughts about using used amp power wire? Oh forgot to mention its 2gauge.

Thanks! :)

Kloubek
08-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Personally, I'd use it in an instant. Metal, unless exposed to moisture, does not corrode. As long as the insulation is still mallable, I do not see any kind of issue.

-TOFU-
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Personally, I'd use it in an instant. Metal, unless exposed to moisture, does not corrode. As long as the insulation is still mallable, I do not see any kind of issue.

Thanks man, I just thought that I would ask first. I think that he just wanted me to spend that $100 on the amp kit.

Graham_A_M
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow that installer is a fucking idiot.

I didn't know wires had a "shelf life" :confused:
If the insulation is free of cracks/breaks and if the wire isn't pinched at all, why NOT use it?
I'd like to see that fool try to explain how and why wires should be "thrown out" past a certain time. :rolleyes:
A wire is a wire, its designed to allow electricity to pass through it. Unless its damaged, whats the logic that its no longer good? Especially ultra-flexible car audio wire.
By his logic a whole house should be re-wired every 5 years or so? okie dokie. Sure let me get right on that. :thumbsup:

Mibz
08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
If the ends aren't corroded it'd be hard to convince me the rest is. I'd definitely use it.

Rat Fink
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Genocider
08-07-2010, 03:00 AM
future shop obvs trying to drive up sales based off poor information, nothing but them trying to make you pay for something you dont need

CA18-S13
08-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Id slap that fool in the face with the "bad" wire.

As everyone has said here, use it and clear your mind of the worst place to go for car audio installs.

08-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Not to mention, that amp kit he trying to sell you for 139.99, has a cost of $23.56.

He makes a fuckton of commision on accessories.

JZS_147
08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by -TOFU-
I took the car and amp power wire to Futureshop
Thanks! :)

Here is the problem

-TOFU-
08-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys,I went to Visions and asked the installer there to run the wire and amp for me and he said that the wires are in wicked condition and looked like it just came out of the package. He said it would me foolish of me to not use it. :) So I got them to install it for me for way cheaper than FS. I know I made an mistake taking it to futureshop in the first place, just that I was picking up my gf and FS was in the area.