PDA

View Full Version : Idea: 1990 740 GL engine swap

Hakkola
09-03-2002, 08:36 PM
Our beater, a 1990 740 GL has 255 000 km on the engine and it's crazy slow from a start, it's like a turtle. I've looked at the engine bay and it's massive, the engine maybe takes up like half of it, it's way bigger than the bay in the mercedes. I'm just wondering if when the time comes that the car is pretty much on it's last legs, which will be soon, if it'd be possible to do a good swap. It's rear wheel drive, and I've read of some engine swaps in volvo's before, but would it be worth it or feasable. Just curious, not sure if this would happen, but I find it amusing thinking about having a high powered engine from a lexus or something sitting in my Swedish Box.

Any estimation on how much it would cost and what a good engine would be to throw in there?

2000impreza
09-03-2002, 08:45 PM
this is a joke right.... anyways.
its not worth it. custom engine/tranny mounts. probably need a custom drive shaft too. not to mention wiring up the ecu. with money anything can be done. but something like this would cost more than what its worth.

T5_X
09-03-2002, 08:48 PM
can't swap in a new volvo engine either, think you're probably SOL. Volvos looked like ass until the mid 90s anyhow.

Hakkola
09-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Haha, it's true, I don't like it very much. It's kinda kew tho, other people seem to like it, my ex liked it a lot. It's really safe so that's a good thing, but the box is a frickin tank.

There's actually a sight where they show s80 engines being put into old 200's the ones you always see those skiers driving, they also had chevy engines in my model, not sure if i'd want that though, was just curious.

Gadgetboy
09-03-2002, 10:30 PM
iz ya joking? If yo' serious, ya mus' be mad stupid ya'll is mad stupid.

T5_X
09-03-2002, 10:51 PM
There are no more rear drive volvos anymore so how'd you put a newer engine into that car? It'd be such a sweet sleeper though with a T5 or T6 engine :devil:

Hakkola
09-04-2002, 12:24 AM
The t5 and t6 are monsters, went 200km/h in s60 t5 by accident. They put it in the old 200, i'll show you the site.

Gadgetboy, do you actually talk like that? You have got to be the biggest homo ever.

Hakkola
09-04-2002, 12:30 AM
The 200:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Volvo_200_V-8.html

this is similar to my model:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Volvo_700_V-8.html

This one put s60 s80 and Lexus engines in older volvo's.:

http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/volvo_engine_swaps.htm

Volvo station wagon with 370hp corvette engine. Ultimate sleeper:

http://www.geocities.com/southern_comfort_racing/emery740/emery740.html

5.9 R/T
09-04-2002, 12:37 AM
I remember reading somewhere that a ford 5L (302) will drop right into Volvos. I can't remember what year or what specific car it was on, but it is something to consider.

T5_X
09-04-2002, 12:48 AM
Those are sweet. From the side view, I couldn't believe that last one you linked was a 700 series! It looks more like an 850!

I wonder how difficult or expensive it'd be to put an LT1 into a 700 series. Newer volvos look a lot nicer and come stock with nice powerplants, but the older ones had something the new ones don't: RWD!

jonny
09-04-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
The t5 and t6 are monsters, went 200km/h in s60 t5 by accident. They put it in the old 200, i'll show you the site.

Gadgetboy, do you actually talk like that? You have got to be the biggest homo ever.

the S60 isnt really that fast in comparison to the rest of its class.

A guy i know was thinking about putting a 5.0 in his old volvo. What a waste.

Alpine Autowerks
09-04-2002, 07:39 AM
Paul Newman & David Letterman drive 740's with chev 350's. There is a guy who sells a kit that comes in a suitcase (you get to keep the suitcase) that hase every nut bolt hose mounts wiring harness etc. to install the 350. there is even a converter so the stock tach works with the extra impulses.

Hakkola
09-04-2002, 12:08 PM
"S60 isnt really that fast in comparison to the rest of its class."

In what sense, I think you're just comparing 0-60. Which is actually pretty quick. I got tire spin and the car is front wheel drive. Once you get to highway speeds acceleration is very quick, even though it doesn't feel like it. 120 to 200 took a matter of seconds.

"A guy i know was thinking about putting a 5.0 in his old volvo. What a waste."

I wouldn't consider it a waste, it's not a great looking car by any means, but it can be made a sleeper and it's very safe, I think it'd be pretty cool, not many people mod their volvo's.

jonny
09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
"S60 isnt really that fast in comparison to the rest of its class."

In what sense, I think you're just comparing 0-60. Which is actually pretty quick. I got tire spin and the car is front wheel drive. Once you get to highway speeds acceleration is very quick, even though it doesn't feel like it. 120 to 200 took a matter of seconds.

"A guy i know was thinking about putting a 5.0 in his old volvo. What a waste."

I wouldn't consider it a waste, it's not a great looking car by any means, but it can be made a sleeper and it's very safe, I think it'd be pretty cool, not many people mod their volvo's.

No the S60 is one of the slowest in the class. Wheelspin doesnt neccesarily mean anything i can get wheelspin in a 4 door automatic cavalier. What does the fact it has front wheel drive have anything to do with it, not to mention that lowers its handling capabilities. I think R&T described the S60 as having 'heavy understeer' (correct me if i'm wrong.)

The guy I know has like an 89 volvo. I bet pretty much every car now has the same safety features it had. Its still safe but i doubt its much safer then any new car. Thats the thing with volvo's 'safety' gimmic, after they come out with an innovation any company can pretty much incorporate it (or something like it) into their own models.

Hakkola
09-04-2002, 02:36 PM
I agree with you 100%, the steering was more than terrible, very very sensitive actually, it was hard to keep the car going straight at low speeds, and it had a terrible turning radius, this is the reason we didn't buy the car, it was fun though.

The old volvo's are tanks though, safety features may be the same, but my neighbour has the station wagon version, they got in an accident and only had to replace the hood and front bumper, the other car was pretty much totalled. They are very strongly built, but very heavy.

Sketch
11-13-2002, 07:22 PM
The old RWD Volvo 200 series rules. The 242GT dominated the Group A European Touring Car championship in the late 70's, and the 200 series is still prevalent in Open 2 Wheel class Rallyes around the world.

My friend just picked up a 242GT, it may be heavy but its torquey engine, exceptionally wide track, low center of gravity, and its well balanced Front Engine RWD layout make it handle like a car half its size. Plus the styling is absolutly timeles and the car is uncommon, I mean how often do you see a 2 door Volvo 200 series?

infamous
11-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by jonny

i can get wheelspin in a 4 door automatic cavalier.

no you can't...trust me :D

Hakkola
11-14-2002, 01:41 AM
I mean how often do you see a 2 door Volvo 200 series?

Those cars are sweet!!!! There's one a block away from me, and I remember seeing one at the Volvo dealership, very nice.

bksze
11-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Gadgetboy
iz ya joking? If yo' serious, ya mus' be mad stupid ya'll is mad stupid.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MrX
11-16-2002, 11:07 PM
If you want to get more info on engine swaps into the Volvo chassis, go to Swanny's Volvo and ask for Jaz or Indy. Those guys know their shit when it comes to volvos. They do complete 5.0L swaps and i think numerous other things with the Volvos.

They are in the NE part of the city off of Barlow and kinda near 16th AVE where the SAAB dealership is.

jdmakkord
11-17-2002, 02:01 AM
haha I went to high school with indi. The 5L swap is a perfect fit in volvos. He drove a old school yellow coupe with a 5L, and 5L pony wheels. Damn thing was fast!!!!
Swani's volvo specializes in custom motor installs in volvos

MrX
11-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
haha I went to high school with indi. The 5L swap is a perfect fit in volvos. He drove a old school yellow coupe with a 5L, and 5L pony wheels. Damn thing was fast!!!!
Swani's volvo specializes in custom motor installs in volvos

Yeah, i had a ride in their yellow volvo way back and it was a riot. Their recent project was a black 4dr 5.oL volvo i think.
I went to Jr. High with indi and his cousin Parm, that's where i know those guys from.