PDA

View Full Version : using foreign plates

bart
12-20-2003, 10:58 PM
say you bring a car over from europe for example, is there a way to use the original plates, and register those somehow under a special category, or do you absolutely have to use the ab plate?

thanks

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to have a valid Alberta plate on the back.

euro_racer
12-20-2003, 11:32 PM
yea same here i dont think they let u have foreign plates on ur car that u drive in canada

bart
12-20-2003, 11:33 PM
what is the fine for not following this law? anyone know?

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by bart

My guess is that if it's properly registered with an Alberta plate but you only show the Euro number plate, then it would be the same fine as not properly displaying your plate. Something like the fine the cops would give you if you didn't brush off snow obstructing the plate, or leaving it so filthy that it can't be read.

However, I don't think it's a problem to have two plates on the back. You could put the Alberta plate in the rear window.

illeagle
12-20-2003, 11:51 PM
I used to see a 2002 M3 rip around town with a euro-plate. I seen it off an on for a whole summer... I guess using those plates is just like using a saskatchewan plate, or B.C. plate,

As for the fine, i'm not sure, just use your common sense and add $300.00 :dunno:

max_boost
12-21-2003, 12:18 AM
I remember a Tunerworks customer had a Silver M3 with euro plates and I asked why, apparently he's such a high roller, he didn't give two shits about the fines!!! haha:thumbsup:

silverEL
12-21-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I remember a Tunerworks customer had a Silver M3 with euro plates and I asked why, apparently he's such a high roller, he didn't give two shits about the fines!!! haha:thumbsup:
i know the guy
he bought the M3 and went to germany to drive it away from the factory and drove it around and then shipped it to calgary
hes rolln on 19':D
heres a current picture of it

JAYMEZ
12-21-2003, 01:37 AM
Im pretty sure you can have the f. plates for 6 months before you MUST change them. it might be shorter?

Ya i saw that BMW around SW

rogue
12-21-2003, 01:58 AM
when the new m3 just came out i saw some guy down town with german rear (as it is the only part of the car i saw) plates. The guy was goin nuts from downtown accross the bridge to memorial as i tried to follow him in my curbside (courier) truck:nut: . But yea i didnt know if he had special insurance or if he was some business man who brought his car over with him or maybe (since it was the first m3 of the e46 nature i saw) it was some car from a show here. Not to sure but looked cool.

ryder_23
12-21-2003, 01:58 AM
My family friend bought an m3, drove it around in europe for the summer, had german plates...when it got over to canada, he had 90 days to change the plates over, so he drove the rest of the summer/fall will real german plates front and back, but after that he had to put on his real plates. So i guess if you register/insure it in europe before brought over, u can drive it for 90days with good plates....

come to think of it, it mighta been 60, but pretty sure its 90...one of the two

bart
12-21-2003, 02:34 AM
no, its 3 months for sure i think. hmm i will check it out. i wanna have a euro one on the back. stand out a little bit. i wouldnt cover it up with the ab one. possibly maybe stick the ab one in the window, but that would look dumb too. unless i can make it somehow very unnoticable.

if the fine was something like $50, i wouldnt care at all. heck, if they let me stick on the expiry stickers i will be fine with that, lol.

and the one on the rear will say exactly what the ab one says. so really i think it *should be ok, lol.

FiveFreshFish
12-21-2003, 02:54 AM
...and the one on the rear will say exactly what the ab one says. so really i think it *should be ok, lol.

I doubt that's legal because your Euro plate doesn't show the province, even though you will duplicate your plate number and put the current stickers on.

bart
12-21-2003, 03:02 AM
what about buying a euro bumper. then saying the square canadian ones wont fit? lol

speedracer
12-21-2003, 03:19 AM
This is how I see it:
Improper Display (not authorized/improper display) - $230
False Documentation - $345

At night (sine th AB plates will be on the rear window)
License plate not illuminated - $57
License plate lamp not turned on - $57

The list goes on in what you could get since the plate is not displayed.

There's a few others that require a pink ticket or they impound so that they can safely give you the correct tickets...

http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca/Content/doctype44/production/splquickref.pdf

James
12-21-2003, 07:19 AM
A few years ago i always saw a Right hand drive car parked down on 17th (think it was a Jaguar, it was really old), and it had Euro plates. saw it all the time, so i dont think he got hassled......that would be pimp if you had REAL euro plates on your car bart :thumbsup:

nickyh
12-30-2003, 01:11 PM
I have a Euro vanity plate on the front of my car - my BF went through a check stop and the cops hassled him about the front plate being illegal and was asked to take it off.
They did not fine him but that was a year ago and the plate is still on the car.

badassmegane
01-02-2004, 11:54 AM
i've got a euro plate on mine, reason being i'm in the UK, what country are you talkin about? uk plates are nothing to write home about, don't really know about other countrys. if u want a look at a uk format give me a shout!

hockeybronx
01-14-2004, 02:57 AM
Keep the Euro plate on the front cause it looks pimp.

Although perhaps you could keep it on the back as long as the Alberta one is "more" visable.

rage2
01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
It's possible for a short period of time if you're not a canadian citizen or a permanent resident :).

sexualbanana
01-16-2004, 01:01 AM

If you plan on just having the euro plate and not the AB at all, I'm willing to bet it's the same as driving an unregistered car and they'll give you a ticket and tow it to impound.

Originally posted by rogue
when the new m3 just came out i saw some guy down town with german rear (as it is the only part of the car i saw) plates. The guy was goin nuts from downtown accross the bridge to memorial as i tried to follow him in my curbside (courier) truck:nut: . But yea i didnt know if he had special insurance or if he was some business man who brought his car over with him or maybe (since it was the first m3 of the e46 nature i saw) it was some car from a show here. Not to sure but looked cool.

Isn't that that tool on here that drives like a fucking idiot?

bart
01-16-2004, 10:10 AM
i might want to do this, i guess it would be legal right? but it looks stupid i think... input?

http://www.x0xo.com/123/Car%20stuff/mine/IMG_1343.jpg