PDA

View Full Version : Good Gym in the NW Area?

jensv
08-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Anyone have an opinion on Cardel Place, University of Calgary Campus Recreation, the Edgemont World Health Center and the Crowfoot YMCA?

I'm a 22 year old male who is looking to cram in some physical activity on the weekends when I'm not working. Living in Edgemont all these locations are ~15 minutes away so I'm most interested in
[list=1]
the quality of instruction (lessons included in membership fee would be big plus)
the people that share the facility. (prefer people my age.)
[/list=1]
I will lift weights, would really like to play badminton or table tennis and join some casual sports team that won't cost a small fortune to get into. (think frisbee and not ice hockey or golf)

I am considering dropping into a facility every week before I commit to a year long membership but am interested in what others think.

I also have a home gym, a gym at work, and a bike path right outside my house. It's very cheap but there is no social aspect and it's no fun to go solo all the time....

[Yu]
08-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I have had a membership only at UofC and WHC in Edgemont.

If membership monthly fee is an issue, I would stay away from WHC. My price was 60 dollars a month, and it included only the gym, but you were always free to drop into special programs such as Rev (biking I believe). The only other things that they had at that time were racket ball, squash, and tennis. None of which you are entitled to with just a basic membership. The age is of a wide variety, but unfortunately you will also get Highschoolers that dress in things such as Gucci and D&G at the gym. They don't really bother anyone so, its not a problem at all, but just a note to some people.

As for UofC, they probably have one of the cheapest memberships if you are a post secondary student (does not have to be at UofC). It costs me around 30 dollars a month (I am from UofA) and it entitles you to a WIDE range of activities if you please. As for the age, many of the people are around your age, I would say about 60-80% given the time of day you go. But there is no special programs like WHC, so that might be a factor in your decision.

Hope this info helps for you.

kaput
08-08-2010, 01:55 PM

chathamf
08-08-2010, 02:43 PM
YMCA in Crowfoot is not too bad. They have people of all ages. The gym is a bit small, and does get rather busy at peak hours, but that is going to happen pretty much anywhere.

I joined there for the summer because it was really cheap being a student. I was previously a Golds member, and they have a wonderful gym. Crowfoot was a rather let down for me after going to Golds, but YMCA is much better to deal with as Golds will take you for whatever money they can.

princeaidin
08-19-2010, 11:34 AM
After graduating from U of C, I had this issue too. In the NW there is really a lack of the smaller homegrown mom and pop gyms like other parts of the city have.

Golds- Trys to own you
WHC-Trys to own you
Good Life-Trys to own you

YMCA, Cardell - Well they are just too busy when it gets busy
but have a lot of amenities

UofC-Good luck parking is a "bitch" but that being said, supposedly if you get a gym membership there is an evening/weekend parking pass which is 20 bux a month but keep that in mind thats 20 extra bux a month. If you plan on going after work around 4-6 during the semester, its busy as hell so keep that in mind.

I feel your pain, I ended up signing up at Golds, (3yrs) I know!, but its literally 2 min away from my house, but they have a promo on that they will match you to a friend/familie's membership price, so post on beyond/redflag find someone that goes there that has the cheapest rate possible and go with that. Or do what I did, convince the guy to give you the lowest possible rate otherwise you won't sign up. Its 200 bux to cancel the memberhsip or transfer it.

Lex350
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I've been a member at Worlds, The Y and the Winter club.
Hated Worlds (douchebag central)...the Y was too crowded and although the Winter club is nice it isn't worth the money for the amount of time I had to use it.

If you just want a small gym to work out at NW Fitness in Silversprings isn't bad. Very basic, cheap and no idiots there.

SpeedIllusion
08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Have you tried out Goodlife Fitness in Beacon Hill?

jensv
08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
Have you tried out Goodlife Fitness in Beacon Hill?

I have not but they're having this promotion where if you sign up for two years the membership fee is waived. Mind you it's still relatively pricey and 2 years is a long time.

I'm sure it's nice but the Winter Club is...... out of my league.

nagooro
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I currently have a student membership at the crowfoot ymca. I pay about ~$45 a month, been there a little over a year now.
Not sure if you are in school or not, but if you have a post secondary student ID you can probably get away with paying the $45 as well.
I personally don't have any issues there. I usually try and go during non peak hours, so it isn't too busy.

My membership is over soon, so might check out goodlife in beacon hill and either move there, or stay at the ymca.

If you talk to the front desk at the Y, they usually give out 3 free passes if you want to try out the gym.

gqmw
08-21-2010, 10:44 PM
If you want to play a bit of badminton, I'd go to the ymca or cardel. They have a decent number of hours each week for badminton and ping pong as well. I don't know where you live in edgemont but depending on where you live, ymca might be closer for you. But ymca is a bit cheaper I believe last time i checked, not by too much though.