PDA

View Full Version : good riding south of city?

JVR1
08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
just wondering if anyone has an suggestions for decent bike cruising south of calgary. i've done the bragg creek and 1a rides out to canmore but i live in evergreen and was looking for a route i can do in the evening in say 1-1.5hrs

Go4Long
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
have you ridden the 762? it qualifies as twisty here in alberta :poosie:

vengie
08-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
have you ridden the 762? it qualifies as twisty here in alberta :poosie:

I do believe he is talking pedal bike... the longer and straighter the better so people can see you!

JVR1
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
no i'm talking street bike..

Go4Long
08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by vengie

I do believe he is talking pedal bike... the longer and straighter the better so people can see you!

straight roads suck ass no matter what kind of bike you're on...unfortunately we don't have roads like this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSF8hvAxUc&feature=related

JVR1
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
so if i head towards millarville and go on 762 it joins back up to 22?

Go4Long
08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
yup...it's still not terribly twisty really, but it's got some nice long sweepers. Just watch for the sheriffs as they've started to crack down on it a bit more in the last few years.

RiceMonkey
08-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Stay Away 762 as much as you can. My friend had to go to court and lucky i got away. If u go group ride umm try to be first or second haha.

Graham_A_M
08-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Another road thats just awesome is the one that goes into Blue Rock Campground. Basically go to Turner valley, and go to the west portion of town via the same street as the main 4 way stop. That'll usher you outside of town onto this *BEAUTIFUL* winding road, thats about a 20-30km stretch that eventually takes you to the campground/equestrian area. Just be careful when you see the "Kananaskis country" sign after about 15-20 minutes, as the roads turn much more rough beyond that, so you'll have to slow right down. Even if you were to turn back at that point, its still an awesome trip. Not as good as 762, but its much less traffic and the cops are VERY infrequent over there.

If you do venture off the highway to visit some of the local attractions such as Sheep River or the like; so the fuck DOWN since I bailed on that exact road that takes you down to the sheep river area. Its a very steep gravel road thats filled with potholes. If you grab too much front brake to avoid a pothole like I did, the tire will plow and you too will go down. Fuck Im still chocked over that. :thumbsdow

Asides from that you can easily spend a whole day there, and Blue Rock Campground is definitely one of the very nicest campgrounds I've ever stayed at. Very secluded with big lots and its just beautiful out there. :)

Masked Bandit
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Taking 22x out to Elbow Falls and back isn't too bad for a quick trip.

JVR1
08-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by RiceMonkey
Stay Away 762 as much as you can. My friend had to go to court and lucky i got away. If u go group ride umm try to be first or second haha.

hahah.. wicked advice.!

thanks for the other suggestions..

Go4Long
08-10-2010, 07:05 AM

you can ride any road in a number of ways...some of which will draw police attention. he asked for good roads to ride, and as I already mentioned the sheriff presence, I would leave it in his hands to know that riding like a hooligan on the 762 could end up with you in legal hot water. Not that I pretend to be a saint (hey bill, can you ignore that? :P) but I at least don't try to blame the road when I get myself in trouble.

My personal recommendation for riding like a hooligan without the fear of reprisal is take it to the track baby...no tickets, better corners.

Masked Bandit
08-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Not that I pretend to be a saint (hey bill, can you ignore that? :P)

Pfffffft, I'm the LAST person to criticize others about riding "indiscretions". I keep saying though, there is a time and a place for everything. It's knowing when & where that's the key.

Graham_A_M
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM

you can ride any road in a number of ways...some of which will draw police attention. he asked for good roads to ride, and as I already mentioned the sheriff presence, I would leave it in his hands to know that riding like a hooligan on the 762 could end up with you in legal hot water. Not that I pretend to be a saint (hey bill, can you ignore that? :P) but I at least don't try to blame the road when I get myself in trouble.

My personal recommendation for riding like a hooligan without the fear of reprisal is take it to the track baby...no tickets, better corners.
Agreed, I absolutely love to have fun in the corners too, as dragging knees is just a blast, but there are limits. I have a buddy with zero regard for other drivers/riders and everything else, so he'd do 200-250+ on that highway, and along any other place with some twisties. :banghead:

I was elated when he said his making his bike for track-only use.
Im still amazed he never lost his license over those years, or at least didn't get himself killed.

CUG
08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I can't believe I've been riding for 7 years and don't know any good places to ride. I don't count 762 because well, I'm on a 1000, and there's no real way to ride it for thrills without dragging knee. Bragg Creek got old the first 50 times. There's a road that parallels #1 that's pretty badass, but it's a bit secluded and could take a while to get an ambulance to you.

If you're a wild man, stick to the track. I've eaten shit there a few times, but didn't pay the response time price you would if it was on a secluded highway.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I was elated when he said his making his bike for track-only use.
Im still amazed he never lost his license over those years, or at least didn't get himself killed. Uh bro, I'm right here dude.. :confused:

RiceMonkey
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM

I think u had the black R6. We meet up at Westhill Petro. SimSim, JohnR1 and another guy with a Honda. Im the Asian Guy with the black 06 R1..We had lunch at Braggg Creek and i think we hit 762. SimSim and JohnR1 rode the shit out of it..Track Safe? Yes i know..already done it back in the day..

alloroc
08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
None good around here but if you go 'way' south.

The Montana 49 and glacier route 1.

Well worth the weekend trip. A good staging area is the St Mary's KOA.

Go4Long
08-10-2010, 04:42 PM

I think u had the black R6. We meet up at Westhill Petro. SimSim, JohnR1 and another guy with a Honda. Im the Asian Guy with the black 06 R1..We had lunch at Braggg Creek and i think we hit 762. SimSim and JohnR1 rode the shit out of it..Track Safe? Yes i know..already done it back in the day..

yup...that was me...my first weekend owning the R6...lol. scared the shit outta myself that day a couple times...

I ride an 03 R1 now.

RiceMonkey
08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Haha I saw ur post on CGP before and u got same user name..Y didnt u get the 04 instead ? BTW..Love all the R1's though..:burnout: ..

Graham_A_M
08-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by CUG

Uh bro, I'm right here dude.. :confused:
I wasn't talking about you, I only went riding with you the once and you were fine. From what I could tell you ride the same way I do, fairly aggressively but not a complete fuck-tard on the bike. (Unless you've changed that is)
He was a complete fuck tard, the difference between riding on the track to riding on the street was non-existent to him. 240+ around long sweepers outside of Calgary were fair game for him, despite of the 80kph speed limit. :nut:
I still thank God a deer or the like didn't decide to cross the road or it would have been game over in any one of those countless instances.

Go4Long
08-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Haha I saw ur post on CGP before and u got same user name..Y didnt u get the 04 instead ? BTW..Love all the R1's though..:burnout: ..

I didn't actually go looking for an 03 specifically, or even for an R1 or any other liter bike for that matter. I started out looking for a cheap 600 with fuel injection. I stumbled across the 03 R1 on kijiji and it was already pretty cheap, then I used what I've learned on beyond and lowballed the fuck outta the thing, ended up gettin it for dirty cheap.

On another note, rode the golden triangle yesterday. Was a really nice ride.

JVR1
08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
so i checked out 762 yesterday. went back and forth on it cuz it's kinda short to only do once. (no sheriff's around either..)

had one of the area residents in a vehicle flick hi-beams at me and wave his arms in the car, i think they assumed i was going over the speed limit.. or maybe there was a bee inside the cabin of the vehicle.

anyhow, decent ride all things considered.

8Ball
08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by JVR1
so i checked out 762 yesterday. went back and forth on it cuz it's kinda short to only do once. (no sheriff's around either..)

had one of the area residents in a vehicle flick hi-beams at me and wave his arms in the car, i think they assumed i was going over the speed limit.. or maybe there was a bee inside the cabin of the vehicle.

anyhow, decent ride all things considered.

yup, sadly about as good as it gets. Have to be 200+ for that to be any fun.