PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that hates the new traffic lights?

whiskas
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm talking about these kind, that have been appearing lately.

http://imgur.com/cwayU.jpg

You can't even see the lights clearly until you're within a couple hundred meters away from it, and it's even worse if there are any hills leading up or down to the intersection. It's as if you have to be in a very specific spot to even be able to see the light. Not to mention any direct sunlight on the light makes it even harder to see. Quite a few times already I've had to take my foot off the gas and cover the brake because I wasn't sure if the light was green or not.

And as a pedestrian you can't see the lights at all from the ground so you can never tell when they're about to change.

Tarrantula
08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Seriously, I 100% agree with you. I hate these damn things.. impossible to see and just plain annoying. Whats the point of having to wear corrective lenses when I can't even see with them on anyways!!!!!

Mibz
08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
They're not new, they're in specific spots where the sun or other lighting prevents regular lights from being seen properly.

But yeah, they fucking blow in regular light.

beyond_ban
08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Couldn't agree more.... they are terrible. In some instances the sun and angle of the cars going either way makes it impossible for either direction to see the lights and everyone sits at the light not sure what to do. They don't project light well at all.

03ozwhip
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
agreed, depending on where im stopped at a red light, i dont even notice it changes, it always looks red.

project240
08-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Quite a few times already I've had to take my foot off the gas and cover the brake because I wasn't sure if the light was green or not.

I completely agree with you as well. I do the same thing with my foot/brake.

Pollywog
08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
There is a reason for these types of lights being used - and they aren't new lights by any means. The type of light is used to prevent drivers on opposite streets intersecting from pre-reading them, especially problematic ones (eg.Deerfoot N to Memorial W). They can only be seen by oncoming traffic in the direction intended to see them.

Masked Bandit
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't like them but I think that's the point. Everyone naturally slows down when approaching these intersections because you can't tell for sure until the last minute. However you can see the red portion of this light just as clearly as a regular traffic light. Me thinks it's a trick.

Mibz
08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
There is a reason for these types of lights being used - and they aren't new lights by any means. The type of light is used to prevent drivers on opposite streets intersecting from pre-reading them, especially problematic ones (eg.Deerfoot N to Memorial W). They can only be seen by oncoming traffic in the direction intended to see them. That makes a lot more sense than what I'd heard.

Sentry
08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Also for multiple lanes with different signals, only a vehicle in that lane can read that lane's light.

Unknown303
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
There is a reason for these types of lights being used - and they aren't new lights by any means. The type of light is used to prevent drivers on opposite streets intersecting from pre-reading them, especially problematic ones (eg.Deerfoot N to Memorial W). They can only be seen by oncoming traffic in the direction intended to see them.

This. And they do a damn good job at it. Considering I have to cross that road I'm glad. Don't even want to know what it would be like with people trying to race the lights.

masoncgy
08-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they are definitely not new either... they have been at Shaganappi & Crowchild since the signalized 'interchange' was built 10 years ago... among other locations in the city.

RecoilS14
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Well that answered my question about these style lights. Good post.

Disoblige
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I thought these lights were meant to be like that so the driver has to drive the speed limit or else they won't react in time to slowly brake and stop if necessary.

The direction of the sun reason makes sense too.

K3RMiTdot
08-10-2010, 02:04 AM
yes def hate these. never ever know when to go, cuz i have bad eye sight too

Unknown303
08-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
yes def hate these. never ever know when to go, cuz i have bad eye sight too

You should stop driving all together then. :rofl:

MGCM
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Has the city ever considered LED lights? I'm guessing they would be more expensive but IF the ACTUAL CONCERN is that drivers can't see the light with the direction of the sun then they should consider something BETTER..........even it the light flashed on/off instead of solid that would be easier to see with the direction of the sun.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Those lights bug me as well.

Cos
08-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
Has the city ever considered LED lights? I'm guessing they would be more expensive but IF the ACTUAL CONCERN is that drivers can't see the light with the direction of the sun then they should consider something BETTER..........even it the light flashed on/off instead of solid that would be easier to see with the direction of the sun.

The lights have nothing to do with the direction of the sun.

toastgremlin
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
Has the city ever considered LED lights? I'm guessing they would be more expensive but IF the ACTUAL CONCERN is that drivers can't see the light with the direction of the sun then they should consider something BETTER..........even it the light flashed on/off instead of solid that would be easier to see with the direction of the sun. LED traffic lights in other cities don't make enough waste heat to melt the snow that accumulates on them during the winter.

My complaint is that I wait for the intersecting light to go yellow before I put my car in first (to save on the throwout bearing). It's hard to read the opposite light at most intersections in Calgary, and these are apparently even harder. They should do what they do in Germany and have a red -> yellow -> green cycle for the light turning green.

TorqueDog
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I was wondering what the hell was up with these. Bit of a nuisance that you can't tell if the light is green until you're close... but by the same token, red is as clear as day, so it shouldn't be a problem.

shlynn
08-12-2010, 01:53 AM
yeah..very very agree:facepalm: (http://www.ecupop.com)

pyroza
08-12-2010, 02:56 AM
They're all over down here in CA and I can't stand them. They're nearly impossible to see in direct sunlight

Mamma_Mia
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I totally agree, those lights are terrible!! Always wondered why they made them that way.