PDA

View Full Version : Oil & Gas: EPCM vs Operator

Tick3t
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
I've been working on the EPCM side of the oil and gas industry as a civil engineer for a few years. Most of my friends work on the operator side. To me, its always been a goal to work with an operator (ie. Encana, Cenovus, Nexen, Devon, Talisman, Suncor, etc), but it seems difficult to find a position being a civil engineer.

I was just looking for opinions from people who have experience with both sides of the industry. To me, the operator side looks greener for career growth, opportunities, and compensation. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about working for an operator? Anyone prefer the EPCM side of things?

Euro838
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
+1 for Owner/Operator side.

It depends what type of work you are looking for. Owner/operators tend to not do their own engineering (thus why the existance of EPC's) and if there are engineers, they tend to be onsite (for pre-management engineers).

A lot of the owners have moved to a BA model where everyone is a business analyst/advisor so they don't do any of the work and it's more just vendor management.

As for career growth, I think there are advancement on both sides and you have to determine where and how you get there. Top engineers at any of the large EPCs do quite well. If you want more engineering type work, then an EPC is where you probably want to be, if you want to essentially want to vendor management, then owner side is your career path.

I have been on both sides, money shouldn't be an issue on either so its more what you want to do with your career.

freshprince1
08-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I am in sales and we are a vendor (Control and SIS Systems) to the EPC's and Operators. From my limited view, it looks like career growth might be more available with the operators, considering the size of their operations, especially if you are open to moving. People who I see that seem to enjoy their positions are engineers who contract themselves out to the companies...that way they can wrote off a ton of expenses. But it usually takes a good few years to establish yourself in order for an Operator to bring you on longterm via contract.

Good Luck.