PDA

View Full Version : My car won't start...

GearShiftGL
12-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Hello,
I have an 89 integra and i went out to try and start it this morn and it kicked over , but acted as if the battery was dead...I turned it over a last time and it just clicked... This has happened once before about 2 weeks ago but my neighbor gave me a jump start and at that time it started right up...and I havent had anymore problems until now... I had someone give me a jumpstart again.. When i turned the key over, it kicked over but still sounded really weak..so i turned it again and absolutly nothing! The terminals are on secure, so i figured that wasnt the prob... The battery isnt very old i dont believe...it looks somewhat new but I just recently bought this vehicle so maybe i am wrong, could it have possibly just drained all the battery fluid out trying to start it?.. I dont think it is the alternator because once my car was running it never attempted to die or anything... So i am just asking for some feedback on what could be wrong. Any advise would be good!
~ Thanks

Zero102
12-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Umm... yes...
You didn't drain all the battery fluid out trying to start it, I would be quite amazed if you were even able to do that.
From what you describe, it is probably starter motor related. Check the wiring at the Starter motor. It sounds like the solenoid is engaging, hence the click, however the motor is not turning.

I doubt it's the battery, just going on it's age with that one.

I doubt it's the alternator, one way to find out, voltmeter. However, that would cause a dead battery condition. If it will not start with a jump, that's not the problem.

Moe Man
12-21-2003, 05:15 PM
a bad atarter solenid can cause a variety of problems,including no cranking(WITH OR WITHOUT CLICKING)or slow cranking

other problems:battery discharge or faulty,starting circuit wiring faulty,faulty starter,engine seized

oxy
12-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Check the battery before doing anything costly. You could get a battery that is working in another car and try starting your car. If it starts then it's the battery. You can also go to Sears and they will check the battery.

Taasman
12-28-2003, 10:33 PM
It could be your charging system. Your battery may be discharging under load. Check that your getting charge with everything running...like at idle with your heater defroster on and turn on your wipers ect and headlights....are your still charging over the 12volts??? You should be getting 14.5 volts at the battery with nothing on and the car running. Then if you turn everything on heaters ect...it should still be above 12 volts...if not then its discharging the battery.Just check it with a volt meter set to volts and connect the meter to your + and - terminals of the battery. Before you start the car it should be around 12.58 volts,
then 14.5 running, then about 13.50volts with your heater, lights, wipers ect working.

hjr
12-29-2003, 02:54 AM
buy a battery. if that solves it good. if not take it back at no cost but a bit of your time. It may be the starter though, but start at the easy spot (battery).