PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket Advice - Thanks in Advance

neomonkey
08-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm just wondering how speeding tickets work. I got busted today going 104 in a 70 zone on John Laurie. I thought I was late for work but I was 10 mins early. Yeah, this belongs on FML for sure.

Anyways, I digress. I heard that tickets over 30km the posted limit require a mandatory court appearance. Is that true? Or is it $50.

I rarely get speeding tickets and I am wondering if I can kind of fight this in court and get it reduced? What would the process entail? Do I show up at the posted date on the ticket in front of the Justice of the Peace?

Also, how do speeding tickets affect demerit points? Do tickets get removed after 2 yrs or is it cumulative?

Thanks for reading everyone. I'm having one of those days. :facepalm:

98type_r
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
50 over is court appearance, 30 over is just another demerit and higher fine

black13
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
you can get reduced easily just by walking in the courts and talking to one of the prosecuters. If you wanna fight it completely then have to show up at court on date of ticket.

And which part of John Laurie was it?

neomonkey
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
50 over is court appearance, 30 over is just another demerit and higher fine

Ok cool, thanks. Is it just 1 demerit? Or how does the system work? Does it affect insurance as well?

GQBalla
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by neomonkey

Ok cool, thanks. Is it just 1 demerit? Or how does the system work? Does it affect insurance as well?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/108216/recieved-a-ticket-demerits-error-fight-it-read-first/

neomonkey
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by black13
you can get reduced easily just by walking in the courts and talking to one of the prosecuters. If you wanna fight it completely then have to show up at court on date of ticket.

And which part of John Laurie was it?

So I can show up to the courts at any time and just have it reduced. I'm not going to fight the ticket completely, I'm looking to have it reduced and have never done so, so I am not sure of the process.

Heading easbound on John Laurie Blvd, by the Brisebois Dr exit on right hand side (just over and down the hill). The police officer was hiding behind one of the traffic signs and his truck was parked off to the side. Pretty sneaky as I have never seen them there before and I have driven John Laurie for years.

Tomaz
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Nasty part of John Laurie too. I see them there a lot. sorry mate.

Yeas, show up before your court date, have it reduced, pay it off. It will stay on your record for some time, but i have a feeling that this one ticket wont effect you much. Stay out of trouble and GL! :thumbsup:

arian_ma
08-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I believe it's 3 years that those demerits stay on your record right?

TorqueDog
08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Two worst parts of John Laurie Blvd. for speed traps are the Brisebois turn-off, and approaching the ramp from eastbound JLB to 14th Street.

3drian
08-11-2010, 01:00 PM
two years on your lisence and three years for insurance.. one ticket should affect your insurance though

Masked Bandit
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I believe it's 3 years that those demerits stay on your record right?

Demerits stay for two years but the ticket itself stays for three. Insurance companies don't look at demerits, just the number of tickets.