PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere in town to buy heavier duty dog crate?

Tik-Tok
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Our Sib. Husky is an expert escape artist, and he really mangles his nose up while doing it (cuts, bruises). We've gone through several of those weak wire ones you buy at any normal pet store (petsmart, etc.)

We need an escape proof one, something like this. I can get one ordered to the border for around $300, but won't mind not having to drive down there. Anyone know if they this type of thing in Calgary area?

http://www.carrymydog.com/i/Dog%20Crates/36-in-HD-crate-Black-assembled-L-3-Crate.jpg

5hift
08-11-2010, 01:26 PM
not as good but maybe worth checking out

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-large-dog-kennel-made-from-aluminum-W0QQAdIdZ222533302

speedog
08-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll check with our suppliers tomorrow at the shop and get back to you.

4bier
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
not as good but maybe worth checking out

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-large-dog-kennel-made-from-aluminum-W0QQAdIdZ222533302 thats a sweet deal i might check it out

Tik-Tok
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by 4bier
thats a sweet deal i might check it out

It is a good deal, unfortunately won't work where we keep his crate, too long for us.

Originally posted by speedog
I'll check with our suppliers tomorrow at the shop and get back to you.

Thanks.

Unknown303
08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
So a Sea-Can is out of the question...:dunno:

AndyL
08-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Perhaps revisiting crate training is in order? If the dog is that desperate to get out that it injures itself; that's not a good sign. Either it's not comfortable in the crate, or the crate isn't the appropriate size...

If you're running a wire crate - make sure it's covered with a blanket/? - the open sides don't help them feel secure. Make sure it's of appropriate size - just big enough for the dog to turn around in comfortably. We thought we needed the XXL wire crate for our pyrenees cross - but it totally freaked her out, the XL plastic sided travel crate is her choice.

speedog
08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
None of our suppliers carry this product line, did find out it is made by Proselect Empire pet products and is available on-line through a number of US web sites, but doesn't seem to be available at any Canadian web on-line retailers including Ren's Pets out of Toronto. Will update thread if I find anything similar in Canada or this exact product line.

phreezee
08-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Perhaps revisiting crate training is in order? If the dog is that desperate to get out that it injures itself; that's not a good sign. Either it's not comfortable in the crate, or the crate isn't the appropriate size...

x2

For $300 you could build a dog run if you've got a yard.

Tik-Tok
08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by speedog
None of our suppliers carry this product line, did find out it is made by Proselect Empire pet products and is available on-line through a number of US web sites, but doesn't seem to be available at any Canadian web on-line retailers including Ren's Pets out of Toronto. Will update thread if I find anything similar in Canada or this exact product line.

Yeah, there's also another one called "Carry my Dog", I guess I'll just order it to the border, thanks for looking though.

Originally posted by AndyL

If you're running a wire crate - make sure it's covered with a blanket/?

Originally posted by phreezee

For $300 you could build a dog run if you've got a yard.

Unfortunately, our dog has EXTREME separation anxiety. Normally, he's ok by himself, inside the house when we're at work, and our inlaws (2 doors down) let him out mid-day. However whenever we go on vacation and are gone for a week or more, we have my sister-in-law house/pet sit for us. Our dog considers her a playmate, and not an alpha, so he gets very confused while we're gone.

When we return from vacation, his anxiety is through the roof when we go back to work, between this and him being the "alpha" of the house while we were gone, he tends to wreck things, so we have to kennel him for a week or so after we get back.

He has a large dog run outside (12'x20', old RV parking), but his mental state after we return, he tends to randomly howl/scream during the day when we're at work, especially if he gets a whiff (or hears) of our inlaws getting into their cars to go out. Hence the indoor kennel, so we don't have the neighbors all pissed at us, and calling the city.

He's NEVER liked a kennel, since day one, ever, even if it was right beside our bed. He's chewed through 2 plastic ones, and 4 wire ones, and an interior door, after he got out of one of the wire ones. We've always bought the largest ones locally available. If there's ANYTHING cloth like around it, or in it, it'll be chewed to shreds when we get home. He even chewed up a 2x4 frame in the laundry room when he was only able to get his head out of one kennel.

We've tried every training method we've read/heard of to treat his separation anxiety, but nothing works. I think it's because we got him fairly late (6 months old), he had already bonded to his brothers/sisters who were all training to be sled dogs, but he wasn't working out as one, so the breeder sold him as a pet (to us)