PDA

View Full Version : Rusty muffler

sexualbanana
12-21-2003, 04:32 PM
My exhaust has been rattling as of late. I always thought it was the muffler hitting my rear bumper. But it continues to occur after I put my stock bumper back on for the winter.

I finally have the time to take a look and I see that the muffler is rusted to shit. Rusted enough for me to just pull it off.

sexualbanana
12-21-2003, 04:34 PM

sexualbanana
12-21-2003, 04:35 PM

sexualbanana
12-21-2003, 04:35 PM

sexualbanana
12-21-2003, 04:37 PM

illeagle
12-21-2003, 04:42 PM
haha, That's worst than mine.... the question on most people's mind: What's the make of the muffler? Ractive? Quick, get the roll of duct tape out... we have some mechanical work to do...

DUBBED
12-21-2003, 04:55 PM
holy crap!! never seen that before...

sexualbanana
12-21-2003, 07:37 PM
It's a Stromung exhaust. When it was new, it was wicked. But the thing is about 7 years old.

euro_racer
12-21-2003, 11:20 PM
shit man that messed up

James
12-22-2003, 05:12 AM
:rofl:.....it sounds wicked now though!

sexualbanana
12-22-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by James
:rofl:.....it sounds wicked now though!

Dammit, me and John went deaf goin home from your place.

4wheeldrift
12-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
It's a Stromung exhaust. When it was new, it was wicked. But the thing is about 7 years old. Was that stainless, or aluminized steel?

rc2002
12-22-2003, 10:34 AM
It's a good thing you pulled it off before it fell off on the road. I definitely wouldn't enjoy running over one of those.

My Dad was driving once and the muffler fell off the car in front of him. He ran it over and took some damage to the car...

:rofl: :rofl: So it sounds pretty good now huh? I don't see why people pay good money for a good sounding exhaust when they could just kick off their old one for free and get the same (or even better) sound! (Aside from the fact that it's illegal, and ignoring the air and noise pollution factors of course).

sexualbanana
12-22-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
It's a good thing you pulled it off before it fell off on the road. I definitely wouldn't enjoy running over one of those.

My Dad was driving once and the muffler fell off the car in front of him. He ran it over and took some damage to the car...

I honestly don't think it was a threat to fall off. It was a lot of work just getting the muffler off its hooks.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
:rofl: :rofl: So it sounds pretty good now huh? I don't see why people pay good money for a good sounding exhaust when they could just kick off their old one for free and get the same (or even better) sound! (Aside from the fact that it's illegal, and ignoring the air and noise pollution factors of course). [/B]

Yeah, it sounded like complete ass. Fortunately, I have a stock muffler now so it's all good. Otherwise my neighbors would be very unhappy when I come home at like 2am.

THREE40SEVEN
12-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Was that stainless, or aluminized steel?
huh? Stainless doesent rust..

4wheeldrift
12-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

huh? Stainless doesent rust.. It can, depending on the composition of the stainless. And rust around welds, even on stainless, is common because very few people know how to weld stainless properly.

Seanith
12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
haha no good gavin.. it looks like your kybs have seen better days too haha :D

THREE40SEVEN
12-23-2003, 04:21 PM
It can, depending on the composition of the stainless. And rust around welds, even on stainless, is common because very few people know how to weld stainless properly.
Its not a matter of welding it properly, it a matter of using the correct material - Stainless wire. Most exhaust shops use regular mig wire.
The composition doesent matter either. Any surface rust that you would see on stainless would be iron particles oxidizing on the surface.

4wheeldrift
12-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Its not a matter of welding it properly, it a matter of using the correct material - Stainless wire. Most exhaust shops use regular mig wire.
The composition doesent matter either. Any surface rust that you would see on stainless would be iron particles oxidizing on the surface. Not to split hairs, but in my book using the wrong wire *IS* not welding it properly ;) And composition can play a part, some types of stainless are more prone to attack from various materials in the atmosphere etc than others. I work in the oilpatch, it is shocking how fast some types of stainless will corrode and oxidize if the material going through them is one that can attack it.

The reason I asked was because the can looks to be in fairly good shape aside from the obvious, but the pipe split right in the heat affected zone of the weld (which is usually a result of some happy elf at the factory not using the right type of wire for the material).

THREE40SEVEN
12-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Not to split hairs, but in my book using the wrong wire *IS* not welding it properly ;) And composition can play a part, some types of stainless are more prone to attack from various materials in the atmosphere etc than others. I work in the oilpatch, it is shocking how fast some types of stainless will corrode and oxidize if the material going through them is one that can attack it.

The reason I asked was because the can looks to be in fairly good shape aside from the obvious, but the pipe split right in the heat affected zone of the weld (which is usually a result of some happy elf at the factory not using the right type of wire for the material).
Nuff said;)