PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive or store in the winter?

JordanLotoski
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Just curious how many people store their cars in the winter. I've seen a few post lately about people storing hondas, acuras and Mazda, I always assumed that stored cars should be Classics and exotics

Post what you drive, do you store it and what's your winter beater?

2010 jag xfr (570hp) drive all winter (on 20's)
2010 x5 drive all winter (on 20's)

No winter beater.

:thumbsup:

88CRX
08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
04' Honda Civic - stored haha

Last year was the first winter I parked it. Winter driving a lowered car is so fucking stressful... constantly dodging ice chunks, ruts, deep snow, etc etc. It gets old really fast.

Winter beater FTW :thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
08-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
04' Honda Civic - stored haha

Last year was the first winter I parked it. Winter driving a lowered car is so fucking stressful... constantly dodging ice chunks, ruts, deep snow, etc etc. It gets old really fast.

Winter beater FTW :thumbsup:

Actually I can see that. If your car is lowered could be a lot of trouble in the winter.

Ok so classics, exotics and extremely lowered cars.

EK 2.0
08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
1996 Honda Civic Hatch....Stored on Halloween for the winter...Stored for the same reason as 88CRX, also I don't need to add the stress of cold starts to my motor...plus someone sliding into all my hard work and money...

2001 Mazda Protege is the winter beater...

benyl
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Winter beater:

http://benyl.com/C63AMG/IMG_0391.JPG

n1zm0
08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
store my s14 (not a classic or rare but i'm the second owner @ 120k original kms, can't say that very much for most CDM S14s on the road), winter beat my prelude - but its still very summer driveable

JordanLotoski
08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Winter beater:

http://benyl.com/C63AMG/IMG_0391.JPG

Awesome pic. I gotta see if I have any like that

thepyrofish
08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I've never owned anything real fancy or expensive, but I've never parked a vehicle for winter. I doubt I would unless it was flat out uncontrollable on snow.

I buy 'em to drive 'em. :burnout:

ZorroAMG
08-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Storing anything other than a classic/exotic is silly.

EK 2.0
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Storing anything other than a classic/exotic is silly.

Then I am happy that my Civic is classically exotic...;)

Dj_DLX
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I drive year round. I don't want to spend 6 months of the year driving around in a shitty beater when I have a better car to drive. I can only drive one car at a time, so I only want to own one car at a time.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ltlyqe.jpg

K3RMiTdot
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
i tackle snow all year round on my crosstour :love:

Mibz
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Awesome pic. I gotta see if I have any like that The only memory I have of your car is parked beside snow piles twice as high as it in Somerset.

wintonyk
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I used to garage my MR2 for the winter when I lived in Halifax. Usually Nov 1 to April. However when it got hot early and the roads cleared up I would take her for a cruise here and there.

However when I was no longer in university and actualled needed a car I sold the MR2 for a more practical wrx.

Can't seem to get 2 snowboards into an mr2 very easily.

JordanLotoski
08-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
The only memory I have of your car is parked beside snow piles twice as high as it in Somerset.

Yeah on somerset drive wasn't it, by the park

Deetz
08-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I always park up a couple of cars for the winter.

The funny thing about this thread and people mentioning that only classics should be parked.....is that if nobody ever parked their cars, there would hardly be any classics around!

Think about it. If someone was driving their 1965 mustang year round year after year, there wouldn't be anything left of it by now

inline6turbo
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I have always stored my cars for the winter and drove crappy beaters.

I stored my Skyline, RX7, Supra, SL500, foxbody etc.

The only cars I didn't store were my GTR because it was AWD, and my second RX7, because it hauled ass in winter.

I stored my other ones because
- High powered RWD
- Extremely lowered
- Minty classic
- My baby and didn't want some moron sliding into me

xrayvsn
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I have summer only cars (hell, I don't like to drive them when it looks like it might rain!) These get stored starting in late October:

-911 Turbo. The front lip scrapes at the best of times in the summer. It is a cheap enough part to replace, but I have another AWD car for winter, with a larger selection of winter tires. I have a colleague who drives his 911 Turbo year-round, so I might do so one day when I replace it as a summer car.

-Lotus Elise. One bad slide into a curb or a chunk of ice, and the entire front clam needs replacement. 6 months in the body shop because parts aren't easily obtained here in Calgary is worse than storing it for 4 - 5 months over the winter.

Awd-Tsi
08-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Drive mine err day. Awd + snow tires + turbo = win

Shlade
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
First time im ever storing a car away for winter this year.

I need to find a beater.

buh_buh
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Store.
I want to keep my paint in decent shape, and keep the kms down. AWD is also way more fun in the winter than RWD.

HeyKai
08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I store, I had a 1991 Mazda Cosmo that I stored. I also had a JDM miata that I stored. The vehicle always looks and feels shitty after winter driving.

T-Dubbs
08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
AWD!
drive it for sure

D911
08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
alll year driver.

gonna raise the thing back up for the winter tho, else i'll be getting stuck everywhere...i dont even know if its possible to drive in the winter at my cars height.

this year im gonna give my car a 2inch lift and donk it out for the winter :)

Cody D
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
I have summer only cars (hell, I don't like to drive them when it looks like it might rain!) These get stored starting in late October:

-911 Turbo. The front lip scrapes at the best of times in the summer. It is a cheap enough part to replace, but I have another AWD car for winter, with a larger selection of winter tires. I have a colleague who drives his 911 Turbo year-round, so I might do so one day when I replace it as a summer car.

-Lotus Elise. One bad slide into a curb or a chunk of ice, and the entire front clam needs replacement. 6 months in the body shop because parts aren't easily obtained here in Calgary is worse than storing it for 4 - 5 months over the winter.

I will definitely be storing my Elise for the same reason as xrayvvsn, not only are the body clams hard to get but they are expensive.

When I had my air-cooled 911, I drove it year round, it was amazing. Also it was lowered quite a bit.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1517/img02902409125.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/img02902409125.jpg/)

JAYMEZ
08-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Ive driven every car in Winter.

beyond_ban
08-12-2010, 02:12 PM
^ Even your supra? :eek:

heavyD
08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
I just don't give a fuck anymore. I got tired of driving beaters that I didn't particularily care for for 7-8 months a year and life goes by fast so I thought it was stupid to spend over half my life driving cars I didn't like. Now I just drive my cars until I decide to get a new one as there are no collectibles anymore. I even drove my MR2 turbo through two winters and as long as you get decent winter tires you're set. Sure winter's hard on the paint but I rarely keep cars long enough where it's been a problem and most people that turn their cars into garage queens end up not driving their cars enough to get full enjoyment from them.

I totally understand why some may fall in love with their baby but most car owners are fickle and as soon as the new technology/models come out they fall out of love and you spent years only driving the car for 1/3 of the year and now it's outdated you want something newer which wastes most of your ownership time. They are after all cars. Cars are transportation not a trophy or decoration. Made to be driven.

Mibz
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
^ Even your supra? :eek: His Supra ran?

2000TL
08-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Drive it winter, spring, summer and fall :D

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/cpi29/10-1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/cpi29/6-2.jpg

e31
08-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I would expect nothing less than for a 325i to be driven all year. I drove my 325i convertible last winter simply because it has limited slip (and because its only a measly 3 series).

I have kept my 280z garaged and the E31 has only been out for a total of 1 week this year.

95teetee
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
my Stealth is all-season (AWD FTW). I don't like to start it when it's -30 or so though (it'll do it, but I feel bad about it so I don't lol). I bought an old Lumina last winter for cold weather (when it started at about -33 without being plugged in I said 'I'll take it' ).

Warmer snowy days are a lot of fun in my Stealth though:D

Sentry
08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I drive mine year round. Wash it once a week in winter.

4DoorGTZ
08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I store in the winter and drive a beater.... But I work out of town in the patch so my driving of my own personal vehicles is limited anyways.

05 CTS-V S/C'd, stored in winter and while I'm out of town, only because nobody owns the parking spots on either side of me in the condo parkade.

96 Beretta Z26 3400sfi swap, Driven all year, parked in a double car garage while out of town, numerous door dings from the other moron sharing the garage. I get in from out of town, get in it and drive over to my condo to pick up the V to enjoy in the summer.... this beater is on its 2nd summer on winter tires :)

ZorroAMG
08-13-2010, 10:21 AM
How could you people drive a beater for 6 months out of the year? I'd lose my mind knowing I have a nicer car sitting doing nothing (especially if it's nothing crazy expensive) while I putt around in a POS.

88CRX
08-13-2010, 10:32 AM
The key is to get a half decent car/truck to drive around in the winter. Not some $500 piece that doesn't start half the time.

HeyKai
08-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, just pay like 1500 to 2000 for the winter car and keep it, don't sell it after winter.

Hamann
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
The key is to get a half decent car/truck to drive around in the winter. Not some $500 piece that doesn't start half the time.

I did this for my First Mustang, Went out and Bought a Fully Loaded Silverado, Heated Seats Kick Ass :thumbsup: Just for the winter, Loved both vehicle's so I didn't mind parking the car, Until I totalled it :(

ragu
08-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I can never understand people putting away nicer cars while driving a pos or not as good car through winters. As far as hard earned money in mods/ work on your car goes?? Get it insured lol I even took my bike out few times during winter. :angel:

key: If it starts and has winter tires, drive it!!

bituerbo
08-13-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't store my Audi, I just don't drive it in the wintertime. That's why I've got the angry neon.

1) the cost of my winter beater was less than the cost of good winter rubber for the Audi

2) ground clearance. Audi lowered, neon actually has a 'lift' thanks to the stiffer springs.

3) Not my driving, but the driving of others. Neon has been rear ended twice in two winters. I just waved them off and smiled after seeing nothing had been knocked free of the vehicle.

4) cost of replacement windshield. Audi - about $260+ Neon $160. And you can't drive the winter in Calgary and not need a new windshield in the spring.

5) sometimes it's fun to let the snowbanks decide where you end up.

6) Beater Racing League

Cody D
08-13-2010, 03:08 PM
How could you people drive a beater for 6 months out of the year?

Some days a car wouldn't have made it to work, no matter how good a car is sometimes ground clearance is neccessary. Probably not as bad in a city, but on my commute I've experienced snow that cars could not have gone through. I love my Jeep.

idioteque
08-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I store my Ghia cause it's air cooled and there is no real heat in winter. Plus, it's a summer car anyhow.

Shlade
08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Honestly.. The way I see it is I spent a ton of money on my car.. Im putting lots of money and hard work into it for the Salty roads to destroy it.

If I had a regular GT mustang Id toss on winters no problem.. Wouldnt give 2 shits. Their a dime a dozen.

Only thing that stops me from driving my car in winter is its numbered and the Kilometors are low.

The way I see it is if your car has sentimental meaning to you and you dont want it harmed by idiot Calgary winter drivers leave it parked at home in your garage under a cover tucked away and safe.. Unless theres a fire... Then your fucked.

911fever
08-15-2010, 02:46 PM
How could you people drive a beater for 6 months out of the year? I'd lose my mind knowing I have a nicer car sitting doing nothing (especially if it's nothing crazy expensive) while I putt around in a POS.

I know, that's ridiculous! What's the point?

Which is why it's great here in Ontario, starts snowing early december and all snow is gone by March. 3 months where I might drive my truck, or I might just drive my daily year round. Can't understand spending half of a year (6 months of snow in Calgary), driving a beater. I'd get a nice AWD vehicle if that was true instead of a nice car and a beater.

NightFX2
08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Drive :burnout:

Hakkola
08-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Calgary averages only 88 days per year with more than 1cm of snow on the ground, it's not that bad. I might not drive the Benz on really bad days, but we'll see.

I don't know how you guys are coming up with 6 months of snow in Calgary, it's usually just dec jan and feb, with some random snowfalls outside of those months that dry up the next day, and chinooks usually come in during those months.

ZorroAMG
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
6 months is how long gravel stays on the road for. If people are storing cars, that's what they are concerned with.

As for the low car excuse, my cars have been lower than most on here, including my W124 that was daily driven and I never had real issues. Then again my car's not made of fibreglass..

gpomp
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
my winter car costs more than my summer car :facepalm:

Hakkola
08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm not that concerned with gravel, more so with big ice chunks, gravel is a bit of a pain but usually only when it's freshly laid. I did actually get hit by a rock the size of two fists last winter, scared the hell out of me but didn't leave a mark. My bumper has survived a couple winters though, so I'm not THAT worried.

Did you 3m your headlights Mark?

ZorroAMG
08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah ice chunks did suck, that's for sure. I did 3m my headlights.

NickGT
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Mustang is stored for the winter. It's lowered, has a fat lip on the front and doesn't have tires that are anywhere close to suitable for snow/ice.

My winter beater is a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra. But it's only 2wd so I get stuck from time to time..... As soon as I finish all the landscaping/projects at my new house I'll getting rid of it for something smaller, fuel efficient and practical for winter (AWD!).

K3RMiTdot
08-15-2010, 05:53 PM
how do you guys tackle car washing in the winter?

ragu
08-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I don't store my Audi, I just don't drive it in the wintertime. That's why I've got the angry neon.

1) the cost of my winter beater was less than the cost of good winter rubber for the Audi

2) ground clearance. Audi lowered, neon actually has a 'lift' thanks to the stiffer springs.

3) Not my driving, but the driving of others. Neon has been rear ended twice in two winters. I just waved them off and smiled after seeing nothing had been knocked free of the vehicle.

4) cost of replacement windshield. Audi - about $260+ Neon $160. And you can't drive the winter in Calgary and not need a new windshield in the spring.

6) Beater Racing League

This better be R8.

redline
08-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I drive my lowered M3 year around... also drove my lowered G35 year around... no issues.... 3m and good to go!!!

heavyD
08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
6 months is how long gravel stays on the road for. If people are storing cars, that's what they are concerned with.

There's gravel on Calgary roads all year long really. The city drops so much gravel that the street sweepers can't even clean most of it up unless they do multiple passes which they only do on main roads. Lots of roads in this city have gravel all around intersections still. Plust all the construction in the summer leaves bigger rocks all over in areas much bigger than the chips the city uses in the winter.

My wife's SUV just got beat up by $10,500 in hail damage so you could argue winters are easier than summers here on cars lol.

QuasarCav
08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Honestly.. The way I see it is I spent a ton of money on my car.. Im putting lots of money and hard work into it for the Salty roads to destroy it.

If I had a regular GT mustang Id toss on winters no problem.. Wouldnt give 2 shits. Their a dime a dozen.

This is so funny. You do have a regular GT, it just has some shit tacked on to it.

Ekliptix
08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Z06 --> Store
Focus SVT --> daily driver + winter tires rock.

topmade
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
how do you guys tackle car washing in the winter?

24hr wash bay FTMFW!! Go late night and bring some towels and dry it off before leaving.

e36bmw///
08-16-2010, 01:27 PM
nm

SlickA70
08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
88 Supra:
I drove it all winter, slid it into a ditch, listened to Blueprint 3 as I waited for the tow truck.

Not goning to happen this year.

Tik-Tok
08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

These 3, plus more.

-My main road out of my neighborhood is NEVER plowed, and usually gets ice ruts between 3-6" deep, that last most of the winter.

-My summer car is already considered collectible, and at the rate I see people ricing them up, and trashing them, it's only getting rarer.

-My winter beater only cost me $2500 all in, and is a very reliable AWD car ('98 Subaru OBS)

-My winter beater doubles as a dirt road hiking beater in the summer, because I don't give a fuck if it gets dinged up, or broken into while we're on a 3 day hike

-My winter beater is also used as a "drop off" car for parties/bars. We can drive to the party or bar, and cab it home, leaving it overnight without worrying about some little shit stealing/breaking into/vandalizing my nice summer car

-It's handy to have a 3rd car when upgrading or fixing another one

-I have a 3 bay garage, so why the fuck not?

-My winter beater wagon holds WAY more stuff than my summer 2-seater car.

-I've seen the results of our salty roads on early 90's Japanese sheet metal :barf:

- I like to drive. I like to drive everything. I don't like being monogamous with my cars

btimbit
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Way too low for winter, salt sucks, other people don't know how to drive when it's slippery,plus winter is when Ill be putting my new turbo in anyway.

Have a '99 Cavalier for when the snow hits.

Besides, It's cheaper to drive my Cavalier for 5 months than to insure and buy winter tires for my GLI

g-m
08-16-2010, 10:28 PM
If you drive it all year that doesn't really leave much time to pull the engine and install goodies now does it?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I drive mine all year.

2EFNFAST
08-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Winter beater: 500rwhp convertible w/ 235/17 Blizzaks :burnout:

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/cbr1-1.jpg

ZorroAMG
08-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

My wife's SUV just got beat up by $10,500 in hail damage so you could argue winters are easier than summers here on cars lol.

Hahaha, so true!

Kittens11
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I know i look forward to getting a winter beater every year...something you don't care about wrecking as i know i am extremely anal about every little thing on my summer cars. And besides whats better than awd drifting in empty snowy parking lots!

supra_07
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
store the slowcharged mustang
drive 99 civic for winter but mods talking too long so still driving the civic lol.

Vanner
08-18-2010, 06:59 PM

My daily beater is $700 worth after some engine fixing, As a minivan ... it does have lot of uses for me. I use it for cross-country trips and hauling stuff.

The nice thing about a beater is I have no worry about it being damaged by some idiot or whatever. My only concern is to keep the engine in good shape, good tires on there and good brakes.

... wherever my Mustang is in my garage for my project to work thru winter. I've had used it for one winter but no more! I got hit on door last winter is why.

You try find a rust-free clean 30-year-old door around... it's ficking damn hard! Been there - done that. My other classic is A 50-year-old van so it'll be a summer driver only, plus the parts is real tough to get!

lilmira
08-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I store my car in the summer and only take it out when there is snow on the ground.

msouther
08-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I am getting my new baby on Friday and it has never seen snow. It has summer tires on it and I am too cheap to buy new rims and tires and don't want an accident. I have a 2010 GMC Terrain SLT for the winter.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Southey2002/Stang1.jpg

beyond_ban
08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
^ That thing is nearly 25 years old..... and you claim it has never seen snow? Interesting.

msouther
08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
^^

It was a BC car up until 3 years ago and the current owner barely let me drive it in the rain last night unless I was very serious about buying it. I think it probably hasn't seen snow and I will try to avoid it at all costs as well.

Shlade
08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Normally for Foxbody Mustangs if they dont have ANY rust on the quarter panels or the front fenders its usually been taken care of (body wise) but beat to shit driving wise..

msouther
08-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I haven't pulled the Carfax yet, but I will Friday after the mechanical inspection. To my knowledge it was owned by an older lady in BC and she had it stored in a garage. The current owner babies the heck out of it. I can't see any rust whatsoever. I hope it wasn't bagged to shit, but it has a rebuilt factory motor worth $6,000 which I saw the receipts for, so it should be like new anyways. You never know with a car this old though :dunno:

Shlade
08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
True enough. Id never get an old car again unless it was used for just play only.

id love to get me another 5.0 and twin turbo, make some easy power relativley cheap!

sevewone
08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
http://billstclair.com/blog/images/civic-512x327.jpg

Store it. Then take it out about a week after street cleaning

tomt64
08-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I live outside the city limits, I couldnt get the nissan out the driveway if I wanted to in the winter.
Love my 99 impreza wagon, have never been stuck in it, I can fit lots in AND I can look at the salt on the car and not give 2 shits. :)