PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery of Steve JobsÕ Plateless Benz

kamakurakid
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
The Apple Fan iBoys will be eating this up, interesting a guy who has a net worth of $5.5 billion and drives a $70,000 car to work.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/08/the-mystery-of-steve-jobs-plateless-benz/all/1

Jobs Wikipedia Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs)

DannyO
08-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Not a big deal, I saw a top 10 richest guys in the world article and the cars they drive, most were nothing special, think the owner of Ikea drives a mid 80s Volvo.

calgary403
08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
The Apple Fan iBoys will be eating this up, interesting a guy who has a net worth of $5.5 billion and drives a $70,000 car to work.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/08/the-mystery-of-steve-jobs-plateless-benz/all/1

Jobs Wikipedia Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs)

"“Normally, an officer will not pull over a car that looks new to check the registration,” notes deputy Gregory Taylor of the Santa Clara sheriff’s office."

“Frankly, we have better things to do with our time,” says Cupertino officer Sandra Powell.

I think the police here have a different mentality. :rofl:

Disoblige
08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Some people just aren't that big on cars, and seeing that Jobs likes going around plate less, maybe he doesn't want people stalking him after seeing him get out of his car.

However, maybe a cop who's an Apple hater may end up pulling him over one day and take his sweet ass time on tickets to make him late for his schedule for the day :rofl:

Sugarphreak
08-12-2010, 08:50 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
08-12-2010, 08:54 PM
I saw tons of cars in the states with no plates...

Its frustrating because of hit and runs, you cannot report which specific car hit you and drove off.

Disoblige
08-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't understand how they can make laws like that there, yet be so anal at the DMV regarding people who got towed.

Yeah I watch A&E. :rofl:

turk99
08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm going to be at Apple head office next week. I will try and ask Steve.

(yes this post is serious).

BokCh0y
08-12-2010, 09:18 PM
i'm surprised this weirdo isn't driving an old ass VW van or horse drawn carriage to work.

topmade
08-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I know some people (not personally, just through friends) that make a ton of cash and drive ordinary everyday cars cause they just don't care what they drive unlike most of us car enthusiasts. Also another reason is that they are barely around to drive due to travelling for work or relaxing/vacationing at a cabin or something so the car just sits there most of the time.

Disoblige
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by topmade
I know some people (not personally, just through friends) that make a ton of cash and drive ordinary everyday cars cause they just don't care what they drive unlike most of us car enthusiasts. Also another reason is that they are barely around to drive due to travelling for work or relaxing/vacationing at a cabin or something so the car just sits there most of the time.
Yeah. I know millionaire restaurant owners who drive Accords, and then there are those who buy a brand new Mercedes and don't even know half the features it has. Why? Because it's Mercedes. It's not because they're a car enthusiast or anything, they want that ML series AMG because its a status symbol and they can afford it no problem.

Well, I guess in some cases they can afford it no problem and don't need to take out a car loan for it. :rofl:

Tik-Tok
08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I saw tons of cars in the states with no plates...

We noticed that on our road trip as well, saw at least a dozen cars with no plates.

beyond_ban
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Did they have stickers in their rear windows? If so, the vehicles were probably in transit.

Tik-Tok
08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Did they have stickers in their rear windows? If so, the vehicles were probably in transit.

Nope, nothing in the windows, just no plates. It wasn't just one state either it was in several of them.

LEGiiT
08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
And Steve Wozniak drives a Prius.

Disoblige
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by LEGiiT
And Steve Wozniak drives a Prius.
So does Julia Roberts Kirsten Dunst, and Leonardo DiCaprio (he owns one) :rofl:

And Xzibit made his Lambo into a fucking shoe.

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/xzibit-lamborghini-gallardo.jpg

bjstare
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I noticed the "no plates" the most in Beverly Hills. Anyone know the story about how all the ballin cars there just have a dealer advertisement plate on the front and back? It seems odd. And I don't think its just people ignoring the laws either... I dunno.

Genocider
08-16-2010, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

So does Julia Roberts Kirsten Dunst, and Leonardo DiCaprio (he owns one) :rofl:

And Xzibit made his Lambo into a fucking shoe.

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/xzibit-lamborghini-gallardo.jpg

Pimp my ride fail?

arian_ma
08-16-2010, 08:37 AM
When did pimp my ride ever not fail?

lilmira
08-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
When did pimp my ride ever not fail?

:thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
I noticed the "no plates" the most in Beverly Hills. Anyone know the story about how all the ballin cars there just have a dealer advertisement plate on the front and back? It seems odd. And I don't think its just people ignoring the laws either... I dunno.

We noticed that too while we were down in California so we asked a cabbie. When you buy a new car and go into the DMV for the registration they don't give you a plate there. They mail it to you later, like several weeks later.

iceburns288
08-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by calgary403
"“Normally, an officer will not pull over a car that looks new to check the registration,” notes deputy Gregory Taylor of the Santa Clara sheriff’s office."

“Frankly, we have better things to do with our time,” says Cupertino officer Sandra Powell.

I think the police here have a different mentality. :rofl:
I think the police have a different mentality for people who don't run a company that generates their city bajillions of dollars in taxes.

ZorroAMG
08-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

We noticed that too while we were down in California so we asked a cabbie. When you buy a new car and go into the DMV for the registration they don't give you a plate there. They mail it to you later, like several weeks later.

If they are new, which most are in BH, then they are probably waiting for their plates and then it's actually "cool" to not put them on when they arrive. Retarded imo.

Zero102
08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Yep, this is exactly why. We noticed this all over San Francisco when we were down there last fall. I talked to one guy about it and he said he had been waiting over 6 months, and that there was some variety of manufacturing problem and they were more like 9 months behind on plates.

boarderfatty
08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
When I bought one of my vehicles from a dealership down there I also asked them about this, they said there are also no such things as dealer plates so they will have a sticker in the license plate are a with the brand and dealership name