PDA

View Full Version : Best way to send money internationally

core_upt
08-13-2010, 12:06 AM
I need to send a few thousand to sweden. I will be the recipient on the other end once I get there next week but don't have a bank account set up in Sweden yet.
What is the best way. I have heard certified cheques from a Canadian bank can be subject to up to a 30 day hold. We can't have it take that long. Don really want to carry that much cash either.

Any suggestions??

Team_Mclaren
08-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Amex travelers checks?

OR if you want to wire, setup a fax agreement with your bank before you leave, then have them do the wire for you when you get there and open that Sweden acct.

Unknown303
08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
http://www.theexclusiveclub.ro/Images/hermes-carbon-fiber-briefcase.jpg

lellowrx7
08-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
http://www.theexclusiveclub.ro/Images/hermes-carbon-fiber-briefcase.jpg

haha i like it

what about western union or something?
i dunno how long they hold it but i know its instant transfer :)

BigMass
08-13-2010, 01:43 AM
you can take up to 10,000 US or 12500 undeclared euros with you while flying. A few thousand in Cash is not that much if you do it in $100 bills. Should fit in your wallet or bill fold. Zero hassle and you don't have to deal with a bank.

gqmw
08-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Imo it's probably easier to just carry the cash. I can see it being a problem if its a whole lot of bills, but a few thousand should be okay? But if you're not comfortable I think travelers checks will work well for you.

yellowsnow
08-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Unless you need all that money at once, you can just withdraw cash from an ATM machine. Talk to your bank and have them raise your withdrawal limit to the maximum. Then when you're in sweden, just withdraw cash from an ATM machine.

That's how I get money in Australia. (some accounts will charge a service fee to withdraw cash from foreign countries, make sure you know if yours does or not)

core_upt
08-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the input - cash it is.
We'll do a wire transfer once we have an account set up there.
Also have a Scotiabank account set up which allows us to withdraw from Deutchebanks in Europe w/o any fees.

gqboy322
08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
i would change all the cad to usd if im traveling. cuz usd get better rate then cad.

BigMass
08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by gqboy322
i would change all the cad to usd if im traveling. cuz usd get better rate then cad.

then you get nailed twice on exchange rates. It doesn't add up in the end. Plus this isn’t 1980. The Canadian dollar is a highly regarded currency atm.