PDA

View Full Version : Lakeview/37 Street SW safe from dozers?

speedog
08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Lakeview called safe from dozers? Calgary SUN story here (http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/rick_bell/2010/08/12/15001141.html) and AM660 story here (http://www.660news.com/news/local/article/88346--sw-homes-safe-from-ring-road-for-now).

Personally, I'd be dumping my house if I lived in the vicinity of 37th Street SW in Lakeview - heard on the radio this morning that Bronconnier said the city wouldn't force anyone from their homes. Yupp, probably true enough, but it's kind of like living on the south side of McKnight Boulevard between Centre and 4th Street NW - there will be an expansion to McKnight at some point in the future and the city's real estate arm is quietly going about buying up properties in that area and then knocking down the houses. So more weed choked empty lots become your neighbours and soon enough you'll sell too as those growing number of empty lots just increase the noise you'll experience in your own yard and besides that, what good are empty lots as good neighbours.

The SW ring road - it'll happen at some point and it won't be an upgraded 14 street SW/Anderson Road solution. I predict that Lakeview will take the hit for the city on this one project, no different then Hillhurst took the hit for the expanded Crowchild Trail south of 16th Avenue we use today or Knob Hill/Killarney took for the southern portion of Crowchild Trail improvements or Mayfair/Meadowlark Park took for the Glenmore Trail improvements. T'is the way for older communities and time heals many wounds as people move on/away from communities and Lakeview like many other past affected communities will still exist, albeit in a modified way.

masoncgy
08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
That's the price you pay living next to an existing right of way.

37 St SW through Lakeview is a perfect corridor for the SW ring road.

kenny
08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
The temporary interchange they are building at Glenmore/37th street is a total gong show. Looks so confusing. Traffic circles on both the north and south side.

blueToy
08-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
That's the price you pay living next to an existing right of way.

37 St SW through Lakeview is a perfect corridor for the SW ring road.

I agree . It's the perfect right-of-way because it has been in the plans for over fifty years to be a major north-south artery . City planners long ago put aside land in the communities of Oakridge and I think Palliser just for this road to be built .

Believe it or not , the only reason we don't have a road there for the last almost thirty years , and there is only ONE reason , is ....... Ralph Klein . Its the community where he lives and he promised while he was still mayor of Calgary that no homes would get demo'd in his community . Period .
Just goes to show you how much power a ex-Mayor/Premier has ... even after the fact .

I heard about seven months ago the plans for the new RR are in the engineering stage and that it was coming down 37th .

Also , the big challenge for designers at 37th n Glenmore was constructing a interchange that we can use now yet make it compatible with the future RR . Very tough to do .

blueToy
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Another odd thing I found with these stories is the number of homes needing to be demo'd in Lakeview for the ring road . Political propoganda ???? Alderman Diane Hyphen-Whatever is quoted as saying 700 homes need to go for the ring road . WOW ... seems excessive . I understand a road desined for speeds of 110 need a larger right-of-way , but it still seems excessive as there is already a existing utility pathway that is large .
Damn ... I'd be happy to go 100 or even 80 in that one spot . Just build the damn thing already .:whipped:

diamondedge
08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Question: Where would southern portion of the ring road on 37th Street SW link up with? I'm not familiar with the area...looking at Google maps, it would span over/around the reservoir? And then connect w/ 37th and Anderson, by Oakridge?

speedog
08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Bingo.

And some stuff to peruse regarding the 37 Street SW ROW (Right of Way) - Plan C? (http://www.calgaryarea.com/sw/chinookpark/communitynews/Presentation%20for%20CKE%20website%20on%20Plan%20C.pdf)

CapnCrunch
08-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Bingo.

And some stuff to peruse regarding the 37 Street SW ROW (Right of Way) - Plan C? (http://www.calgaryarea.com/sw/chinookpark/communitynews/Presentation%20for%20CKE%20website%20on%20Plan%20C.pdf)

Lol @ being cheap.

TorqueDog
08-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Bingo.

And some stuff to peruse regarding the 37 Street SW ROW (Right of Way) - Plan C? (http://www.calgaryarea.com/sw/chinookpark/communitynews/Presentation%20for%20CKE%20website%20on%20Plan%20C.pdf) I actually really like that idea. I was a big fan of the Boston Central Artery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Artery) tunnel when I read about it... take a huge above ground freeway, and turn it into an underground freeway.

2EFNFAST
08-14-2010, 12:10 AM
You might want to dump your home, but unless it's at a really distressed price, who the heck would want to buy one there with so much uncertanty in the area?

adam c
08-14-2010, 12:32 AM
700 homes in lakeview? that's almost the entire community

speedog
08-14-2010, 06:45 AM
700 homes, but you've got to realize people are using the word "home" and if this project knocks down the three apartment buildings that sit just southwest of the Glenmore/37St exchange, then you've probably easily accounted for 180 homes. Even then, I still believe that 700 is high - actual houses, probably less than 100 IMHO.

Duckman
08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
This "plan c" thing actually looks like a pretty viable alternative.
Which means that the retards that make the decisions won't do it. If there's a right way and a way to totally half-ass it and fuck it up, guess which one they'll choose?

RY213
08-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Speaking of Lakeview, what are they building close to the Glenmore Resevoir? They have bulldozed a lot of land, is it more houses?

idioteque
08-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Fuck, the city needs to just buy these houses, tear 'em down, and get on with it already!

dino_martini
08-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I live on the other side of Glenmore and 37th street. Too bad the Native's didn't want to play ball with us.

spender
08-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't count on any homes in Lakeview being touched.

Although it's really no comparison, some of the nicest homes in Vancouver are in Shaughnessy (not exactly like the Calgary Shawnessy!), and as a result, they have been unable to upgrade the main road to the airport and the Tsawwassen ferry. You watch, the ring road will go through some other cootie neighbourhood.

Once we get a premier with balls (Stelmach is not a leader, didn't deserve the job, only got it because of a flawed leadership vote; Bronconnier was useless too - will be forgotten as a mayor almost immediately), a deal will be reached with the natives.

Read that agreement - it's total BS for the natives, the firm of negotiators the city hired tried to be too smart - but failed, and just outsmarted themselves. Would YOU agree to a land exchange deal where the city could decide later on which parcels you got? I didn't think so.

blueToy
08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by spender

Although it's really no comparison, some of the nicest homes in Vancouver are in Shaughnessy (not exactly like the Calgary Shawnessy!), and as a result, they have been unable to upgrade the main road to the airport and the Tsawwassen ferry. You watch, the ring road will go through some other cootie neighbourhood.

Once we get a premier with balls (Stelmach is not a leader, didn't deserve the job, only got it because of a flawed leadership vote; Bronconnier was useless too - will be forgotten as a mayor almost immediately), a deal will be reached with the natives.

Read that agreement - it's total BS for the natives, the firm of negotiators the city hired tried to be too smart - but failed, and just outsmarted themselves. Would YOU agree to a land exchange deal where the city could decide later on which parcels you got? I didn't think so.

Dude ...the chiefs of the reserve have been playing this game for over 50 years !!!!!
The reason the Band voted no to the agreement was they didn't want the chief to get all the cash , and as usual , they get nothing but handdowns , if anything at all .

I've worked alongside this band before and it would be a nightmare trying to build on the reserve . I can guarantee nothing but vandalism and complete chaos . The overruns would be mind blowing . Don't get me wrong , I've got nothing against the folks that live on the reserve , its a amazing piece of unspoiled land , and they want to keep it that way . In the end it would cost the tax payers huge , and create a bigger rift between the folks on the reserve and those who live near it . It would also always be a way for them to create havoc like the bands in Ontario .

As for plan C , it might work here . The big dig project that was done in Boston turned out to be one of the costly roads ever built . WAY , WAY over budget . A true white elephant .
But driving in tunnels isn't always the best thing . Speed limits would probably be slower and when accidents happen , they get nasty and cost way more to make things right .

speedog
08-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by spender You watch, the ring road will go through some other cootie neighborhood.[/B] What other "cootie" neighborhood? Lakeview is really the only choice the city/province has if they want to build a proper ring road that will be 100-100kph and not touch the reserve - just a quick look at any map will pretty much confirm this. Never the less, your (spender's) suggestions are welcome - please post up some possible "cootie" neighborhoods.

idioteque
08-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by spender

Are you kidding me? Lakeview is just as shitty as any other 1960s cracker jack subdivision in Calgary. Tear that shit down, already.

speedog
08-28-2010, 02:19 PM
An interesting document found on the city's web site (link (http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/trans_planning/forecasting/forecasting_toolbox/lrs_anticipated_projects.pdf)) - last two pages are quite interesting showing a future second ring road minus a southwest portion.

diamondedge
08-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Holy crapsticks speeddog... LRT to Balzac, widening of roads, lots of interchanges, secondary ring road, wow wow wow

speedog
08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah, but I'll be pushing up daisies before that second ring road comes to be.

speedog
08-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Another link (http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Transportation+Planning/Forecasting/Forecasting.htm) to the city of Calgary's forecasting department's web site - lots of information there too.

e31
08-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Anybody want to print out, laminate, and place these maps into a time capsule to be retrieved 50 years from now?

I know first hand that there has been a huge amount of work put into this secondary ring road design. I would also like to present a solid :facepalm: to the engineering firms that were originally commissioned to this project. If you have been involved with this, you know why.

speedog
08-28-2010, 09:31 PM
The southwest part of the city is still bottlenecked by the reserve even in all of these long range plans - might partially explain why the city will probably grow north and east.