PDA

View Full Version : Job Opportunity Dilemma

Shaolin
12-21-2003, 10:45 PM
alright, well I sort of have a dilemma here. Currently I'm a Jr Accountant / Freight and Postage Analyst for a print/ad company.. The reason I have 2 titles is because I was originally hired for one, but then the girl i share the office with went away to surgery, and I said I was up for a challenge and took her job while she's away. Anyways, as I'm surfing the web looking for new job opportunities, I found a couple that are tempting.. But here's the problem.

I'm doing the stuff for both titles and on top of that I'm also doing work with the Accounting Manager, long story short, I'm basically learning to do the manager's job as well as doing my own job. But I still get paid the same, (even when I took the girl's job, my pay didn't go up).

Anyways, my question is, would any of you do a job for more money, that's in your field of study, but likely to be a step down to what you're doing? IE. Assistant Controller making 50k a year, to being a Staff Accountant for 85k a year. (Note, this is just an example, Asst Controllers don't make 50k a year)

Would you do it? I'm very tempted to take it but I don't really know. I'm a capitalist to the core and when it comes to business I'm cut-throat as hell. Chances are I've already made up my mind, but I'd still like to get input from people who's been in this situation.

Thanx.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, these jobs I'm interested in will double my salary.

Ben
12-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Welp, I would look into which has the most security. Are you going to be replaced after a year or 2? is the job going to be around? Being with a company for a while in most cases pays off.

That being said, I would go where the money is :D

Shaolin
12-21-2003, 10:59 PM
The security will be there, because well, one job is for the government.. I can make educated assumptions that the position will be around because it is in the finance department, so I can confidently say it'll be around.

The only thing that I question is that, well I have these assets now, and I can do this job that's a step down, but will it help me gain more knowledge in the field.. you know? Like I said, I'll think about it for the next couple of days.. but I think I have my mind made up.. hopefully I can get more feedback from others on here.. thanx Ben.

Focus
12-21-2003, 11:33 PM
I think if there is job security I would go where the money is! Even if it is lower in the ladder. My question would be as you work your way up the ladder once again would your salary go up?? in which case you would end up in the same position you are now making a lot more than you are now!

I would say make the change!

Davetronz
12-22-2003, 02:40 AM
I can relate to you dude, I have worked at many jobs where I am doing the same work as a manager but I have a grunt title and a grunt pay...

Chances are that if your boss hasnt realized that you are doing more than you were originally hired to do and given you a raise, he WONT...

Thats just my opinion as far as my history goes.

Switch jobs, find something that has room for REAL advancement and not just advancing in the responsibility but also the pay.

I am tired of working for people who pile on the responsibility, you prove yourself and one up them and take on even more, prove yourself again and they treat you like shit and pay the same.

Hence why I do the bear minimum. If I had to wear peices of "Flare" at work I would only wear the bear minimum. Mainly because I know that I can work my ass off, but I am not gonna get a dime more than I am getting.....

kaput
12-22-2003, 02:48 AM

E36M3
12-22-2003, 05:23 AM
If you haven't read it yet, I would recommend reading the book Die Broke.

The way I look at life is in 3 month increments. I have enough money to keep me in food and shelter between jobs in the worst case scenario, so I always go for the most profitable opportunities.

Also, the last thing in the world I care about is job security.. you should build your own security by constantly advancing marketable skills and not focus on keeping a job.

Just my two cents, take it with a grain of salt, I haven't had a job for ten years.

TrevorK
12-23-2003, 12:47 PM
I assume you haven't been offered a government job yet?

Because you don't turn those down - they're golden. You get a union backing you and everything.

I worked at the federal gov't for 9 months - easiest 9 months of work ever. Plus remember, once you're there you get access to all the INTERNAL ONLY job postings, so you can move a step up.

Hell - at my department there were "Social Fridays" where the entire floor would shut down to go drinking in the boardroom.

davidI
12-23-2003, 01:16 PM
If I were you in that situation I would approach my current employer and say that I'm doing all this work and I'm not being compensated and if that doesn't change I will have to step-down to a lesser position to double my salary. Obviously you have to approach this situation properly but it sounds like you enjoy the current challenge of your job so it might be worth trying to get a salary increase and if that doesn't work you have a back-up.

Shaolin
12-23-2003, 01:42 PM
I do like the challenge of this job, this is the only job that's ever given me any real assets in the field.. just an update: The controller called me yesterday from Edmonton and told me she appreciates all the stuff I'm doing and when she's coming down for December's month end period she's not going to forget it. I'm hoping a raise is what she's talking about.

Davetronz
12-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
when she's coming down for December's month end period she's not going to forget it. I'm hoping a raise is what she's talking about.

Its either a raise or some "favors"....

4wheeldrift
12-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Its either a raise or some "favors".... Depending on your perspective, neither is a bad thing ;)

Shaolin
12-23-2003, 10:39 PM
rofl, well i don't think i want any favors from a 50 year old coug.. I'd rather take the raise thanx. :D

Davetronz
12-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
rofl, well i don't think i want any favors from a 50 year old coug.. I'd rather take the raise thanx. :D
Sweet, 50 year old cougars rock!!!
Are you guys hiring Computer Engineers ;)

Shaolin
12-24-2003, 08:59 AM
heh no sorry Dave, but I'll keep my eye open.