PDA

View Full Version : Teens Charged from Hazing

swak
08-14-2010, 07:34 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/teens+charged+after+hazing+attacks/3399213/story.html

Worst mistake of the kids lives, who charged the teen's.

Im all for initiation rituals and hazing, now these kids are going to have ZERO respect/acknowledgement from anyone in the school (not just from the 'bullys').

People are way too soft in todays generation.

2Valve0
08-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by swak
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/teens+charged+after+hazing+attacks/3399213/story.html

Im all for initiation rituals and hazing, now these kids are going to have ZERO respect/acknowledgement from anyone in the school (not just from the 'bullys').

People are way too soft in todays generation.

Are you serious? :rofl:

I hope thats sarcasm right there...beating a kid with a fucking 2x4 or a bat is not right. It has nothing to do with kids being too soft...they are getting beat by kids for no reason.

I never respected hazing and personally have never seen it as I know 100% it did not happen in my highschool. My highschool was in the Northeast and people fought every other day so it was not a "soft" school with "soft" kids and yet there was no hazing.

Stupid ritual to go into highschool when there is no reason to be hazed...maybe if your going into some frat in the US(where it started) sure keep the tradition going but highschool? That's just plain stupid.

Charging the kids is kind of a pussy move...street justice would have served these kids better unless getting beat down with 2x4's scared them a little bit from the older kids.

swak
08-14-2010, 08:21 AM
I am serious. :eek:

I am more familiar with 'hazing' on sports teams than in school settings, but im sure its nothing that should be brought to the news about. Hazing creates a certain bond/respect that you can't get from just signing into a school/sports team/frat.

"Multiple teens were paddled on the buttocks." - Calgary Herald
-The kids spanked them (for lack of a better word), its not like they were getting beat over the heads with 2x4's.

I do agree, it is kind of odd to have hazing in a high school, but im guessing its some tight-knit private school (still doesn't make sense, but more-so than having it in a NE Public School).

2Valve0
08-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Sports teams I can see, if they are closely knit and have played together for along time and a new player comes along. Has happened on my hockey teams while growing up. Frat's I can see as it was kind of started there as a ritual to prove yourself.

Highschool is just ridiculous and stupid. Honestly by the sounds of it, it was public school and the older kids probably knew them from jr. high or friends little brother or something and were just wanted to scare them and be dicks. For that they should get charged as it is damn highschool.

I don't know but a "spank"(yea right) with a 2x4 doesn't seem to to innocent as hazing haha.

Modelexis
08-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Hazing creates a certain FEAR that you can't get from just signing into a school/sports team/frat.

Fixed, and there is a difference.
Really sorry to hear your position on this swak, sato masochism is not the way to gain respect.

It just doesn't seem to me that this is at all a healthy way to gain respect and it isn't something that you want to teach people, the last thing you want is for this to show up in peoples lives down the road.

What happens when the guy grows up and gets married and his wife dis obeys and the only way he knows how to gain respect is by 'paddling' and aggression, what then?

Finally, Hazing is just a euphemism for assault.
If you don't believe me, try to haze the girl in front of you at the supermarket and see what happens.

swak
08-14-2010, 09:06 AM
If FEAR is all you get out of a certain hazing incident, then that group may not be right for you.. And you either move on with your life... or HTFU.

Originally posted by Modelexis

What happens when the guy grows up and gets married and his wife dis obeys and the only way he knows how to gain respect is by 'paddling' and aggression, what then?

Everyone i know who has taken place knows the difference between right and wrong behavior. Its all context based.

Finally, Hazing is just a euphemism for assault.
If you don't believe me, try to haze the girl in front of you at the supermarket and see what happens.

Context and Setting.

---

Originally posted by 2Valve0

Highschool is just ridiculous and stupid. Honestly by the sounds of it, it was public school and the older kids probably knew them from jr. high or friends little brother or something and were just wanted to scare them and be dicks. For that they should get charged as it is damn highschool.

I do agree with you here, but at the same time, its not something to go to the media about.

Modelexis
08-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Everyone i know who has taken place knows the difference between right and wrong behavior. Its all context based.

If hazing is 'right' behavior and such a good tool for gaining respect, why don't we see it in every aspect of life.

Would you enjoy it if you got a new job and your boss informed you that hazing was part of job initiation?

If it's such a good tool, why don't you explain why it's not more often used and in more situations. Or is it the cops are just killing your good time?

I happen to accept that assault is a universal absolute in regards to what is bad.

If you accept the word hazing, where do you draw the line, first you say paddles and 2x4's are ok, how are you going to tell them where to draw the line. Especially when you grant them a moral right to haze, you aren't limiting them in any way.

If your theory about respect is correct, the group of people with the most respect for each other are inmates that are beaten by guards.
I bet if you were put in jail for whatever reason, you would be happy to be among so many hazers that carry out such a noble action against their fellow man.

Mixalot27
08-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Hazing happened at my High School. It didn't involve spanking dudes on the buttocks though. I dunno, that just sounds kind of gay. At my high school it was mostly egging or sometimes a mild ass kicking. I remember one kid got tied to a tree and dog shit put in his mouth. But I don't think there were any serious injuries.

If there are serious injuries, then get the police involved and lay charges. Otherwise let the school handle it through suspension or maybe they can get some "tough love" type of gym teacher dude to make them run laps and do push-ups.

swak
08-14-2010, 09:48 AM

If hazing is 'right' behavior and such a good tool for gaining respect, why don't we see it in every aspect of life.

Would you enjoy it if you got a new job and your boss informed you that hazing was part of job initiation?

If it's such a good tool, why don't you explain why it's not more often used and in more situations. Or is it the cops are just killing your good time?

I happen to accept that assault is a universal absolute in regards to what is bad.

If you accept the word hazing, where do you draw the line, first you say paddles and 2x4's are ok, how are you going to tell them where to draw the line. Especially when you grant them a moral right to haze, you aren't limiting them in any way.

If your theory about respect is correct, the group of people with the most respect for each other are inmates that are beaten by guards.
I bet if you were put in jail for whatever reason, you would be happy to be among so many hazers that carry out such a noble action against their fellow man.

AGAIN... I'll say its all context based.
It can be a great tool to get the proper respect into a group.

BUT... i will give it to you here (i was a bit closed minded here), that in many cases, its completely unacceptable.
The high school case is a case of going WAYYY overboard.

Some employmers do use it, and it is necessary (IE. Military - where you have to live in close quarters, and are trusting your colleagues with your life... In this case i believe it can be necessary)

rinny
08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Hazing is sooo 70's...

BrknFngrs
08-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Meh, glad they got charged. As soon as it turns physical it's gone too far.

derpderp
08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I remember everyone saying how in Jr. High we were going to get egged and beat up first day of grade 7. Then they said that about High School and bunch of people were paranoid, I knew nothing would happen and it didn't :nut:

swak
08-14-2010, 10:26 AM
... now that i think about it, i did have a bit of initiation at one previous job...

Was non-evasive, but i had to give up my grat's for the first week.

codetrap
08-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Hazing happened at my High School. It didn't involve spanking dudes on the buttocks though. I dunno, that just sounds kind of gay. At my high school it was mostly egging or sometimes a mild ass kicking. I remember one kid got tied to a tree and dog shit put in his mouth. But I don't think there were any serious injuries.

If there are serious injuries, then get the police involved and lay charges. Otherwise let the school handle it through suspension or maybe they can get some "tough love" type of gym teacher dude to make them run laps and do push-ups.

If someone tied me to a tree and forced dogshit in my mouth, they'd better sleep with one eye open, because I'd cut off their balls. That's not hazing, and it's definitely harmful. Anyone that participates in hazing is just being sadistic in an environment where they think there will be no consequences using a convenient excuse. As for this retarded argument of context, that's just a cheap tv inspired romantic veneer applied to organized victimization. I guarantee that nobody on the perceiving end of hazing appreciates it at all. Its just wrong, and no amount of arguments in favor of it are going to change that.

codetrap
08-14-2010, 10:42 AM

AGAIN... I'll say its all context based.
It can be a great tool to get the proper respect into a group.

BUT... i will give it to you here (i was a bit closed minded here), that in many cases, its completely unacceptable.
The high school case is a case of going WAYYY overboard.

Some employmers do use it, and it is necessary (IE. Military - where you have to live in close quarters, and are trusting your colleagues with your life... In this case i believe it can be necessary)

I don't believe you about hazing in the military at all. Physically assaulting someone today that you will have to trust with you life tomorrow is just plain stupid.

BrknFngrs
08-14-2010, 10:42 AM
... now that i think about it, i did have a bit of initiation at one previous job...

Was non-evasive, but i had to give up my grat's for the first week.

You just handed over your tips for a week? Did that make you feel "closer" to everyone? :banghead:

Barlow
08-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah

Punishmnet for hazing is nothing new!!!

It is pretty stupid!!!

lellowrx7
08-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Didn't anyone see dazed and confused?!?!
Thats how you Haze!!

except your supposed to drive around on lawns in your truck chasing the kids too

swak
08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

You just handed over your tips for a week? Did that make you feel "closer" to everyone? :banghead:

ahaha.. no.

But it was an initiation of sorts...
Had i not im sure the respect i had with my co-workers would have dropped... It was a company tradition i guess.

Happened to me, i did it to others...
All works out.

codetrap
08-14-2010, 11:54 AM

ahaha.. no.

But it was an initiation of sorts...
Had i not im sure the respect i had with my co-workers would have dropped... It was a company tradition i guess.

Happened to me, i did it to others...
All works out.

That's called a cycle of abuse. Dad beats wife and son. Son beats his wife and son. Grandkid beats his girlfiriends, then wife and kid too.

But it's ok. It all works out in the end.

masoncgy
08-14-2010, 12:04 PM
The worst that happened in high school was the grade 9s weren't allowed to sit on the bleachers during assembles, presentations, etc... they had to sit on the floor or get tossed down there by a senior.

That was it. We couldn't really be too aggressive with them anyway since we were all dating those young hot freshman chicks... lol...

swak
08-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

That's called a cycle of abuse. Dad beats wife and son. Son beats his wife and son. Grandkid beats his girlfiriends, then wife and kid too.

But it's ok. It all works out in the end.

Taking tips, abusing kids.. Same thing.

.. All makes sense now.

BrknFngrs
08-14-2010, 12:27 PM

.. All makes sense now.

So hitting is wrong, but you're ok with someone stealing from you because you're confident that you can steal from someone else in the future?

But hey, it gets you street cred at work and everyone's doing it right?:nut:

G-Suede
08-14-2010, 12:58 PM

.. All makes sense now.

Yes, it does all make sense now.

We remember that you are the guy who passively stood by while an acquaintance stole a snowboard at the hill. Pussy.

Cascade
08-15-2010, 12:55 PM
They should haze new employees at work. That will show them whos boss. Beat them on the first day with 2 x 4's and paddles with nails through the boards. :facepalm:

Power_Of_Rotary
08-15-2010, 01:32 PM
spanking... asian tradition... those damn thieves haha

BlackArcher101
08-15-2010, 02:06 PM

I thought in Canada it's the cops/prosecutors decision, not the victims? I believe it's different than the USA where a victim "presses charges".

I attended one of the schools in question. At time time, hazings were not performed and were not in the years before. What happened since then to make some people not only defend it, but start performing it?

clem24
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I think hazing is stupid, but if it's been done at that school FOREVER and it's all in good fun, i.e. just some paddles and *everyone* goes through it, then everyone sits around, talks and drinks all night, then sure. But the problem is when kids start taking it a step further, where in this case, it was board with nails. I am sorry but that's stupid. Dog shit in someone's mouth? No fucking way. That's absolutely disgusting.

Modelexis
08-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by clem24
I think hazing is stupid, but if it's been done at that school FOREVER and it's all in good fun

Great logic, why don't you give these kids a few cases of beer while your at it, but make sure to tell them only to have one beer each and not get carried away.

Highschool kids can obviously be trusted to do the right thing in every situation and never make stupid and dangerous decisions.

:nut:

-relk-
08-16-2010, 12:11 PM
reminds me of dazed and confused

arian_ma
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Great logic, why don't you give these kids a few cases of beer while your at it, but make sure to tell them only to have one beer each and not get carried away.

Highschool kids can obviously be trusted to do the right thing in every situation and never make stupid and dangerous decisions.

:nut:
Did you read past the first sentence of his quote? His supplementary statements make complete sense and I agree with them 100%

codetrap
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Did you read past the first sentence of his quote? His supplementary statements make complete sense and I agree with them 100%

Sure. It makes complete sense to have a bunch of grade 10's sitting around talking and drinking all night.

Or was that the grade 7's drinking with the grade 8's? Jeez, I forget...

It doesn't matter if it's been done "forever", and I can pretty much guarantee that the victims of these hazing rituals would much rather skip over the paddling portion, and just enjoy the "team building" portion of the event instead.

There's nothing good in hazing. It's pure targeted victimization.

clem24
08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Sure. It makes complete sense to have a bunch of grade 10's sitting around talking and drinking all night.

Haha you're quite naive aren't you.

codetrap
08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Haha you're quite naive aren't you.

Really? How so? Because I suggest that it doesn't make complete sense to do it in a public setting which is essentially sanctioned, or because you believe that I'm under the impression that 16 year olds don't drink?