PDA

View Full Version : IT Support Roles in the Calgary Area?

Florida_Son
08-14-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm looking to break into the IT field in the Calgary area. I've been in Regina for more than 7 years now (originally from Florida) and can't stand this place. The cost of living has gotten out of control, there don't seem to be many IT support roles advertised here, and I've always found the place pretty boring. In general, the people are great, but not enough for me to stay here. What's the best way for someone outside the Calgary area to get a few bites? I've set up a profile with S. I. but that's about it.

I've actually been in the field of Internet/New Media Technology for more than 10 years. During that time, I've written web content, designed websites, tested web building programs, and have provided web technical support. I'm at the point of my career where I enjoy solving problems more than writing web copy and designing sites, so the IT support road is what I'm after.

I have a bachelors degree in advertising/pr, I'm A+certified, and have two other certs that no employer probably even knows about or would care to know (Certified Internet Webmaster). Anyone remember those?

I've wanted to move to the Calgary area since I landed in Regina, but stuff always seemed to get in the way. Calgary is actually the first city I ever visited in Canada, and I've spent a handful of summers there. Initially, I was going to post this in the other IT thread, but decided to start my own. This is my first post by the way. Hello Calgary people!

HungryJack
08-14-2010, 01:30 PM
If you can't hack the cost of living in Regina, good luck here in Calgary.

Florida_Son
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by HungryJack
If you can't hack the cost of living in Regina, good luck here in Calgary.

Well, for a time the low cost of living was the only advantage. Now that it's gone, I see no reason to stay here.

topmade
08-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Submit your resume to a few agenices such as Kelly or SiSystems. A lot of companies only post on their own websites so start doing some homework and check out the companies websites or go there personally and drop off a resume. Our downtown is pretty centralized so print off a bunch of resumes and do some foot work.

Florida_Son
08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Submit your resume to a few agenices such as Kelly or SiSystems. A lot of companies only post on their own websites so start doing some homework and check out the companies websites or go there personally and drop off a resume. Our downtown is pretty centralized so print off a bunch of resumes and do some foot work.

I forgot about Kelly. Thanks Topmade.

Alterac
08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Try all these (I know some have been mentioned already)
Metafore
Longview
SI Systems
Kelly
Eagle Online
Divestco

Florida_Son
08-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Try all these (I know some have been mentioned already)
Metafore
Longview
SI Systems
Kelly
Eagle Online
Divestco

Thanks Alterac. I actually just got back from spending the weekend in the Rockies. I envy you all. I'm dying to get something in Calgary. Then I will try to spend any spare time I can muster in those mountains. Thanks again.