PDA

View Full Version : Review: New Dynasty Restaurant (Country Hills)

masoncgy
08-14-2010, 02:14 PM
New Dynasty Restaurant
388 Country Hills Blvd NE

I know that there is a brief review of this restaurant already, but I certainly would like to expand on it, considering my experience last night was anything but good.

Food rating 1/5
For a 6:00pm visit for dinner, I expected the food to be far fresher and appealing. Unfortunately, it was anything but. The only satisfying item was the wonton soup, which was tasty, hot & delicious, just as it should be. The 1 point given is for the soup, that's it.

The other items, however, left much to be desired. Everything was overcooked, making me question whether or not the items had been prepared or simply re-heated from a previous meal time. The lemon chicken was so hard I couldn't even cut through it, same with the salt & pepper squid. Everything was tough and chewy... and either cool or just lukewarm to the touch. For a chinese buffet, it was totally subpar and disappointing.

The dessert section made me laugh. Timbits? Really? Granted, they were probably day old Superstore knock offs, but still. All of the desserts looked like they were bought at Costco or somewhere and put out on the table.

I have serious gut rot and those horrible tasting burps today, so obviously I have picked up some kind of bacteria. Lucky me! I'm just glad my little girl seems to be okay today, because my wife and I definitely are not!

Ambience 3/5
It's just your typical Chinese restaurant. It's not fancy or upscale by any means. It was very busy and I found it to be a little crowded, getting from your table to the buffet was a bit of a chore. It was moderately clean as well, not bad, not wonderful, just average.

Service 3/5
I found the servers to be a little surly, but ours did come by often to refresh our water and take away dirty plates. She didn't, however, refresh our iced teas, which I thought was lame, but expected I suppose at the same time.

It was $16.99 per adult, $2.99 for my little girl + beverages, which isn't bad pricing for a buffet dinner. It's unfortunate that it wasn't a better experience as I was recommended to try it out by a couple others.

In the time it has taken to write this review, my wife has ran to the can twice and I feel like I'm about to vomit... go New Dynasty Restaurant... NOT!

:barf:

bbcustoms
08-15-2010, 04:45 PM
There must be something about the food at this place. Maybe they are recycling the old food back into the buffet?
Went there with the GF a while back - She threw up twice as well and I was a little queasy. This is saying a lot as my gut is just about bulletproof to what have you.
Needless to say haven't been back and don't plan on it

canadian_hustla
08-16-2010, 08:28 PM
i was there a month ago and the owner stopped by our table. He said that the restaurant was going through tough times and he thanked us for our business

That place is hit or miss, but I agree with ^ I wouldn't be surprised if they are just reheating yesterdays leftovers.

Kloubek
08-16-2010, 08:31 PM
I think my white-man pallete is not sensitive enough to good food. I actually really enjoyed the food the three times I've been there. Granted, that dessert bar is pretty sad...

topmade
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Went there once with a buddy who thinks ginger beef and ss chicken balls are the ultimate chinese food so he thought everything was great and I thought it was under average. Service is what you expect from a Chinese restaurant.

bignerd
08-16-2010, 10:37 PM
You are better off to go to the Chinese restaurant by the Shoppers at the other end of the mall on the far far end (by Tim Hortons, Burger King). Lived in the area for 8 years and never get food from the one by the movies.

canadian_hustla
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
ok so I went back to New Dynasty this past Friday, and as far as a white man's palette the food was 9/10.

The restaurant was absolutely packed with people waiting to sit down. The food was freshly made and was delicious!

It seems like they have better food on Fridays (maybe $18 fri/sat/sun vs $14 weekday buffet is part of it, but there was lot of food turnover which meant that it tasted great!)

I would go back again!

masoncgy
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Maybe they read my review and decided to serve fresh food... ;)