PDA

View Full Version : Good beginner handgun

spike98
08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I was out at the range last night with my buddy and his 45S&W glock and i am hooked. I have made the decision to pick up a hang gun for some range plinking and farm fun.

I am torn about what i should get. I have fired nothing but the above glock and various other rifles.

What i felt with the glock that it was a little sloppy. I dont know if im just that much of a bad shot or what but my groupings at 15 yards were all over the place. Perhaps my buddies sights were just out of adjustment. To me accuracy is very important and makes target shooting real fun.

To make things simpler i will list my requirements and i will let people make some suggestions. Once i get a list of maybe 4-5, i will source them and give them a handle. Unfortunatly i dont think there is anywhere in medicine hat that i can rent so actually firing a few is out of the question.

Anyways here is my requirements:

- Accurate
- Cheap to shoot (9mm)
- Under $600 (used is a-ok)
- Full size
- Ok to tear down and clean

I really like the look of the Walther P99 but have yet to handle it. What do you guys think?

ZorroAMG
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
So wait, you've fired ONE handgun once and you are blaming the gun on your groupings?

LOL

Maybe get more practice before you make a decision about a gun's "slop"

I've shot the Walther and it is a great gun btw.

Cos
08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Q1, do you have your restricted?

cr-xbrian
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
9mm have short barrels so they dont shoot perfectly strait you have to aim a little high and to the right to hit the center target. Its just the way the lines in the barrel spin the bullet.

spike98
08-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes i have fired one hand gun. I have been shooting since i was 6 and know how to shoot. Im not saying i should be shooting the pecker off of a gopher at 100 yards.

What im saying is that it seems inconsistant. To which my buddy that has serveral hand guns agreed. My suspicions are also verified from the research i did last night on various gun forums. The general consensis is that it is a reliable cheap firearm but can be a real trouble to keep consistant, especially with an amature shot (like myself).

I plan on practicing....a lot. But i want something that i will be happy with for a while before i getting into something a little less amature.

spike98
08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Q1, do you have your restricted?

I have my non-restricted PAL currently but i spoke to a instructor this morning and am registered to challenge the restricted test on thursday.

I also plan on obtaining a ATT permit as well.

n1zm0
08-16-2010, 10:22 AM
you already have your restricted license OP? impo i think its useless to go the restricted route in Canada, they make it such a process to attain one and the firearm for a reason, ill stick with rifles

edit: nvm about the license

ZorroAMG
08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by spike98
Yes i have fired one hand gun. I have been shooting since i was 6 and know how to shoot. Im not saying i should be shooting the pecker off of a gopher at 100 yards.

What im saying is that it seems inconsistant. To which my buddy that has serveral hand guns agreed. My suspicions are also verified from the research i did last night on various gun forums. The general consensis is that it is a reliable cheap firearm but can be a real trouble to keep consistant, especially with an amature shot (like myself).

I plan on practicing....a lot. But i want something that i will be happy with for a while before i getting into something a little less amature.

Fair enough, I'm just saying that I wouldn't base my purchase decision on the use of one gun for one afternoon.

TKRIS
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
You really have to shoot a few different guns to find one that you like.
I'd love to love the tupperware guns because they're so cheap and easy, but I just don't.

If you're going to get something without really trying a lot of guns out first, and want a high percentage gun, I'd recommend a CZ75B if you're sold on 9mm.
Pretty well everyone likes that gun. I'd go .40, but that's probably just because I'm not a 9mm fan.

I've heard good things about the STI GP6 as well.

I'm a 1911 man myself. Nothing beats a double stack 1911 in .40, IMO.

If you're interested, I'm tinkering with the idea of selling my hotrodded 1911 .45ACP. Depending on what accessories you wanted with it, I could make it fit your budget.

I also plan on obtaining a ATT permit as well.

Not sure how they're doing it now since it's been a few years since I applied for one, but you may need a membership at a range in order to get an ATT.
Shouldn't matter what range. Make sure you get an open ATT, which is what I have. It's good for any registered range, gunsmith, or border crossing in Alberta. Alberta is way better with ATTs than some other retarded provinces...

Originally posted by cr-xbrian
9mm have short barrels so they dont shoot perfectly strait you have to aim a little high and to the right to hit the center target. Its just the way the lines in the barrel spin the bullet.

:rofl:
Riiiiight....

civicrider
08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
may fav gun to date is the walther p99

spike98
08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
You really have to shoot a few different guns to find one that you like.
I'd love to love the tupperware guns because they're so cheap and easy, but I just don't.

If you're going to get something without really trying a lot of guns out first, and want a high percentage gun, I'd recommend a CZ75B if you're sold on 9mm.
Pretty well everyone likes that gun. I'd go .40, but that's probably just because I'm not a 9mm fan.

I've heard good things about the STI GP6 as well.

I'm a 1911 man myself. Nothing beats a double stack 1911 in .40, IMO.

If you're interested, I'm tinkering with the idea of selling my hotrodded 1911 .45ACP. Depending on what accessories you wanted with it, I could make it fit your budget.

Not sure how they're doing it now since it's been a few years since I applied for one, but you may need a membership at a range in order to get an ATT.
Shouldn't matter what range. Make sure you get an open ATT, which is what I have. It's good for any registered range, gunsmith, or border crossing in Alberta. Alberta is way better with ATTs than some other retarded provinces...

Riiiiight....

I have handled one of my grampa 1911's and it felt fantastic. I figured they were a little out of my price range so i discounted them. To me it felt really balanced and my hand felt the grip perfectly. I may have to look into one. If you dont mind, shoot me some info about your 1911 that you might want to get rid of. I would definatly be interested.

For a calibre i am really torn on what i should get. I paid $30 for a box of 50 .45S&W yesturday. That seems "ok" to me, but i plan on spending quite a bit of time at the range so i want something cheap. Unless i am going to something in a .22LR callibre, the 9mm is about the cheapest i can get. But i can suck it up and possibly reload in the future.

I have read LOTS about the CZ75 and heard its a fantastic firearm. Everyone seems to be suggesting. I plan on handling one this weekend. I really wish i can rent some of these. I would love to have a go at a few different ones.

You are correct about the ATT. You have to have a range membership to get one. For the local one its only $50/yr. No biggie. Our range out here is actually pretty nice compared to some i have been too ha ha.

BigMass
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
get a Ruger Mk1 or Browning buckmark 22lr. Way easier to shoot accurately and you'll thank me when youre buying 500 rounds of ammo for $20
Ruger
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3a/Ass-rug4.jpg/600px-Ass-rug4.jpg
Browning
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/8a/MMS-Twin-Silenced-Pistolsa.jpg/600px-MMS-Twin-Silenced-Pistolsa.jpg

TKRIS
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I'll shoot you a PM.
.45ACP is about $30/box for new stuff, but you can get professionally reloaded ammo from Canadian BDX/Combat Masters for ~$15/box.
Last I checked, 9mm was about $18 new and $10 or reloads.

I bought a reloader. It's a couple hundred bucks upfront, but 2 hours of reloading will recoup that cost.
IMO, reloading is that way to go, even with 9mm/.40S&W.

More accurate, less money.

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
+1 for the CZ75b. Awesome gun, takes 5 seconds to strip, and easy to clean. Very well made gun as well, and can be had for in the $600's I believe. I have a CZ SP-01 Shadow and it is amazing (based off of the 75B). Another thing I like about the CZ's is you can get your hands so nice and high on the frame.

$30 for a box of .40 sounds like range pricing to me. I pay $12.50 per 50 rounds of 9mm. Factory ammo at Wholesale sports is roughly $13-17+ per 50 rounds of 9mm. .40 isn't much more expensive. I use BDX 9mm TMJ w/lead free primer and I love it.

I've only tried one 1911 in .45 (Colt) and I wasn't a big fan. The gun was very skinny and I couldn't get my hands as high on the frame as I like. There are millions of 1911's out there though so I'm sure there would be some I like too.

If you are looking for an excellent 1911 in 9mm have a look at the STI Spartan. You would be looking for a used one though based on your budget.

Anyways am I ever happy I went with 9mm, I shoot a lot more than I thought I would and I don't reload (yet).

You have to be a member at a range to own a restricted firearm. You will need to fax the CFO proof of membership before you can apply for short/long term ATT. When you get your long term ATT make sure it's for "all approved ranges, gunsmiths, etc." so you don't run into issues later if you want to go somewhere else. If you take your courses at the Shooting Edge they will subtract that cost from the membership fees.

Also I am a member at the Shooting Edge so if you ever want to go there to try their range guns for cheap or to try my CZ Shadow let me know.

Originally posted by cr-xbrian

This is simply false, and it's "straight". If every time you shoot it goes high and right, you should start by checking your grip. My gun shoots where I point it, and is probably more accurate than I will ever be.

TKRIS
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
get a Ruger Mk1 or Browning buckmark 22lr. Way easier to shoot accurately and you'll thank me when youre buying 500 rounds of ammo for $20

Not to say it's not a great gun, but you're going to hate life a LOT the first time you try to tear down and reassemble a MK1/2/3

KLCC
08-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I thought HK P30 and SIG P226R was pretty nice too.

JordanEG6
08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd say as a beginner. Try a .22.
Cheap, easy to maintain, and falls within your price range.

A Ruger Mark III is a decent choice. Your Walther P99 also comes in a P22. .22 ammo is far cheaper and the Mark III is about $350-400.

If you'r into something a little bigger, a 9mm and .45 are alright as well. My favorite so far is the MK23 SOCOM, nice gun, very accurate and looks pretty badass with a flashlight attachment.

:bigpimp:

Kloubek
08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
^ I agree. .22 ammo is super cheap (in comparison), and they are usually really easy to maintain, handle, and the least expensive to buy.

After all, we're talking about a pinking pistol for a beginner. I really don't think a .45 or something of that nature is appropriate.

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
.22 is fun for a bit, but I'm glad I didn't start there. There are 12 year old girls that come to the range shooting 9mm through .45 without any issues. The power is not a problem IMO. A good grip makes things pretty manageable.

If you want to shoot 500 rounds every time you hit the range, .22 is great, but I wouldn't want one as my only gun.

No better place to start than 9mm IMO. Cheap enough, plenty of power, and easy to learn fundamentals on.

JordanEG6
08-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
.22 is fun for a bit, but I'm glad I didn't start there. There are 12 year old girls that come to the range shooting 9mm through .45 without any issues. The power is not a problem IMO. A good grip makes things pretty manageable.

If you want to shoot 500 rounds every time you hit the range, .22 is great, but I wouldn't want one as my only gun.

No better place to start than 9mm IMO. Cheap enough, plenty of power, and easy to learn fundamentals on.

Very true, but .22s are still efficient zombie killers, and you can wipe out a stage 1 outbreak on a budget.

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Very true, but .22s are still efficient zombie killers, and you can wipe out a stage 1 outbreak on a budget.

I can't argue with you there.

I am strongly considering the S&W M&P 15-22:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2553/3993329351_c766303760_o.jpg

Cheap ($500), excellent reviews, unlimited mag capacity is legal, you can use it in the pistol bays, and $20 gets you 500 rounds.

spike98
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I can't argue with you there.

I am strongly considering the S&W M&P 15-22:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2553/3993329351_c766303760_o.jpg

Cheap ($500), excellent reviews, unlimited mag capacity is legal, you can use it in the pistol bays, and $20 gets you 500 rounds. :drool:

That would be an amazing gopher killer.

TKRIS
08-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I thought about buying one, but it's restricted.
Which is so fucking retarded that it makes my head hurt just to think about it...

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2010, 01:05 PM
:drool:

That would be an amazing gopher killer.

Unfortunately, it's restricted, but that plus a laser sight or ACOG scope would be quite the varmint killer. The reasons it's restricted are beyond ridiculous.

spike98
08-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow i can't believe they will classify something solely on appearance. That is bullshit.

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow i can't believe they will classify something solely on appearance. That is bullshit.

Not only that but the gun is plastic, and you can't swap out the internals for it to handle different (larger) calibers like you can other AR's. It does uses a real AR action though which makes it resemble the real thing more, hence why it is restricted. It's just so retarded. You can buy similar non-restricted firearms, and modify them to look even more like an AR than this, and it's perfectly legal. The guns just aren't as good though, from what I read.