PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed patio - on grade?

AndyL
08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
G'day all,

Bit of an odd question... Wondering about design of an enclosed patio and how best to build it. Normally it's an easy task - but in this case, front doors are at grade level (+/-1") so it suddenly takes a bit of a turn...

Would obviously have to excavate out at least the first foot, Concrete pad could be done with pillings for the roof supports; but in the winter that'd be cold as ass (we're considering partially heated - ie windows & space heaters for the occasional fall/spring use.

But I can't say as I remember ever having seen a wooden framed deck built below grade? So I'd probably have to excavate to adjust grade level out so the deck didn't sit below landscape grading right?

Sorry if this sounds disjointed - been trying to work it out in my head; and it's just not making sense in there...

Anyone able to shed some light - can't say as I've ever really run into something like this before?

freshprince1
08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
My neighbors built a deck embedded in the ground at grade level. They excavated about 8 inches, put in gravel, tamped, adnt hen laid out 6x6 beams and levelled. It's about 12x14 ft. At the time I thought they were crazy not putting in any piles or steel braces into the house...but the thing hasn't moved at all and it's been 2 years on a new lot.

Maybe think about doing it that way? I guess you could tie into foundation for a little more stability too. If your place is more than a few years old the ground probably won't settle any more. You could then build on top.

Just a thought. You have mroe experience than I do, so you'll probably figure something out. My cousin builds screened-in patios in the Edmonton area...not sure if they have an office in Calgary, but I could get his contact info if you'd like.

Good luck. Post pic's as you build.

Edit: Totally forgot about the grade issue! If it were me, I would excavate away from the house so that the surface of the floor would be at grade level (maybe an inch or two high just to be safe) along the house. You'd then just have a step-up when entering the patio from the yard.

AndyL
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I prefer the wood construction, but - concrete probably makes the most sense... Just a matter of getting enough insulation under/around it so that it doesn't end up freezing cold.

Kinda have a trio of reasons for it - Dealing with all the disjointed roof sections over the first floor; addressing insulation issues with the first floor windows (<1930 house) without putting out of place vinyl thermal windows in (and then dealing with repairs to the stucco and interior plaster after); and that patio space is really nice to have...

More budget/plan - haven't even put an offer on that house yet - but trying to make sure I've got it clear in my head what the costs are going to be to make it right our way...

ExtraSlow
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Andy, your concrete will be cold no matter what insulation you put under it. Maybe your best bet is to put some wooden floor tile on top of the concrete? Ikea sells some that looked decent, and would give you the "warm feeling" of wood.
IKEA patio tiles (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20165486)

AndyL
08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, kinda what was driving me to the wood construction; But then there's the passive solar gain that can be factored in too - where it makes more sense to use the concrete slab.

I'm still a little befuddled about this whole theory of crush - insulating foam - sand - pad. Seems like it would be guaranteed to move eventually - foam does crush/degrade over time.

Guess that's where underpinning and doing an outer foundation wall would come in, but that sends costs skyrocketing...