PDA

View Full Version : Painting home interior

ChrisC
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to re-paint my home interior. I considered doing it myself, but it looks like too much work, especially the since we have some high walls - the foyer is open to the upstairs.

Does any have recommendations for good companies? Is it better to buy the paint ourselves, and let them do the labour? Any guesstimates on cost? It's a 2-storey, 2000 sq ft home.

Thanks in advance.

masoncgy
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Most painting companies will purchase paint on account at a lower rate than what you would receive in buying it yourself, so I wouldn't bother with that.

At any rate, PM'd.

Sykes
08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Getting somebody to paint for you will likely cost you around $2-3000, if not more (depending on how much work needs to be done). I asked for an estimate just to paint the exterior trim of our house and I was quoted just under $1700 (!?). I ended up doing all the paint myself and saved a TON of money. Doing it yourself isn't hard, just takes alot of time and patience.

The key is to spend the time prepping (i.e. mask the edge, dusting the walls prior to paint, etc.), having the right tools to do the job, and spending the money on good quality paint.

For interiors, I swear by Benjamin Moore. It's a little expensive, but lays well (two coats is usually all it needs), doesn't splatter all over the place when rolling, and it'll blend in perfectly to any reno/repair jobs you do in the future. General Paint isn't bad either (albeit I used it for my exterior stuff).

I've used stuff from HomeDepot and Canadian Tire and its crap (at least 3 coats, splatters, and roller marks).

With all that said though, getting a company to do it is totally okay too, just be prepared to spend some bucks.

JRSC00LUDE
08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Agreed that Benjamin Moore covers well, you'd do fine with cloverdale as well and it is cheaper. General Paint will require the most product and splatters the most when rolling too.

masoncgy
08-16-2010, 09:51 PM
^ I use General Paint product often and I have no issues with splatter. Their Breeze line is terrific paint.

CUG
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I've found Benjamin Moore to be complete shit (no offense sykes) except for their ultra-flat ceiling paint.

I use Sico Expert for everything when possible. Also, a 20mm roller cover. It's a Canadian company, and it's a better product all around.

The last job I ever did was a full 1100 sq ft unit, that included drywall repair, baseboards and painting new doors/casings and all of the ceilings. There was three bedrooms, that included closets, 2 bathrooms and a developed basement with one main room.

I'll PM you the rest of this.

InRich
08-16-2010, 11:46 PM
If you guys need to purchase paint, just PM me. I pay half of what you would at Cloverdale, cause I spend like 150k+ plus there a year. Just pm me a, Name, colour, phone number and how much you want. I'll take orders in 5er's or more.

edit, Dont waste your money with Benjamin Moore, it'll be like 3 - 4 times more then cloverdale, cloverdale is fantastic paint. I did my own house in it

Weapon_R
08-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Just painted with Cloverdale and it came out great. Find someone with an account (Like Enrich) because I found out that a gallon of the paint I wanted was $38.99 regular and $18 with an account. I ended up buying 5 gallons so it was definitely worth using a corporate account with them.

Benjamin Moore is nice paint but Cloverdale will match any BM color (which is exactly what I did) and for so much less.

Sykes
08-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by CUG
I've found Benjamin Moore to be complete shit (no offense sykes)

None taken!

My experience has been good with them, but mind you I was using their Natura line (low VOC's - we have a baby coming rather soon), and it was great. Eitherway, to each their own!

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Just painted with Cloverdale and it came out great. Find someone with an account (Like Enrich) because I found out that a gallon of the paint I wanted was $38.99 regular and $18 with an account. I ended up buying 5 gallons so it was definitely worth using a corporate account with them.

Benjamin Moore is nice paint but Cloverdale will match any BM color (which is exactly what I did) and for so much less.

I'll keep Cloverdale in mind the next time around. It's too bad that I don't live in Calgary anymore to take advantage of an account - $18 would've been much nicer on the wallet.

GTS4tw
08-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Cloverdale or GP is best since they design their paint to be user friendly. I recommend GP Breeze Eggshell on the walls, and HP2000 Semi-Gloss on the trim. Benny Moore is crap designed to look good, but not last or be easy to apply, or easy to touch up.

I would charge (approx, I would have to look at it) $4500 to paint, that's a standard trim/walls price. If a professional does it it should look like the first paint job the house has had, most homeowners will do a paint job that looks like it was done by a homeowner. I guess it all depends how picky you are, and how much your time is worth.

insanity
08-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Earl has done some good work from some of my past experiences with him. Check out his website at www.earlpaintworks.ca
He has done some good work on interiors and exteriors, does free estimates in house.

masoncgy
08-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Benny Moore's Aura line, while expensive, is amazing paint.

I refinished my kitchen cabinets with BM Aura Satin and they came out amazing... it lays down completely flat with a brush... it just doesn't stretch/pull out a whole ton, so you just have to adjust your method a bit.

Before/after samples:
http://i37.tinypic.com/25g5w5c.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/21croev.jpg

n1zm0
08-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Benny Moore's Aura line, while expensive, is amazing paint

where'd you get those handles from if you dont mind me asking, looking to standardize my kitchen to something 'modern' for handles

masoncgy
08-17-2010, 09:29 AM
^ From Ikea... they sell them in packs of 2 for $15. You'll pay $15 each at Home Depot/Rona for the same handles, so it's a good deal.

Depending on your current hardware, you might have to drill new holes to install these handles as the space in between is quite a bit larger than usual. I used a 1/4" dowel, cut into short pieces and glued them into the old holes, then used wood filler, sanded down smooth and prime/paint.

You can't even tell where the old holes were.

cdnsir
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Excellent work! Your kitchen looks amazing! You just painted over the oak grain as is or did you have to prime it first? Also, did the brushing leave any brush marks behind? That's what I'm worried about the most when painting. No matter how light/heavy I go, I always end up with ugly brush marks.

masoncgy
08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
I did all the prep work first... wash with TSP (gets rid of any residual grease, etc), then used wood filler to correct any existing damage (deep grooves, nicks, etc), then light sand, wipe off dust, prime & two coats of paint.

The BM Aura is extremely durable... you can wash it with a mild soap & water and it cleans up really nice. They have stood up to normal wear & tear plus the abuse of our two year old without any issue as well.

The paint is designed to lay flat on it's own... it goes on thick and lays down nicely using a brush or foam roller. I used a brush because of the existing wood grain finish, it maintained the look of wood without any nasty brush marks.

The trick is to use a high end, fine bristled brush and let the paint work itself. It doesn't like to be pulled & stretched like other paints... and it dries quickly so you have to be prompt with the application.

InRich
08-17-2010, 11:09 AM
really nice job on that kitchen masoncgy

ChrisC
08-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Agreed - Masoncgy, the kitchen looks amazing.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Looks like it'll be far more cost effective to just do it myself. Ugh.

CUG
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
[/IMG] Yeah, not sure if the supplier just gave us 10 year old paint or not, but the bad experiences I had with them was enough to send me packing. Those cabinets look nice though :)

JRSC00LUDE
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
^ I use General Paint product often and I have no issues with splatter. Their Breeze line is terrific paint.

Sleeve choice and technique definately play a part but, of the 4 paint crews I run, Cloverdale is the preferred product for application. It really does cover better using less product. GP's HP2000/3000 is nice stuff though and we still do use a lot of their product. Not bashing it too much lol, just preference. :)

And yes, nice looking work on your place. :thumbsup:

InRich
08-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Sleeve choice and technique definately play a part but, of the 4 paint crews I run, Cloverdale is the preferred product for application. It really does cover better using less product. GP's HP2000/3000 is nice stuff though and we still do use a lot of their product. Not bashing it too much lol, just preference. :)

And yes, nice looking work on your place. :thumbsup:

what company you with???

A790
08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ChrisC
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to re-paint my home interior. I considered doing it myself, but it looks like too much work, especially the since we have some high walls - the foyer is open to the upstairs.

Does any have recommendations for good companies? Is it better to buy the paint ourselves, and let them do the labour? Any guesstimates on cost? It's a 2-storey, 2000 sq ft home.

Thanks in advance.
Just get masoncgy to do it. He hooked me up with some work earlier this week and I couldn't be happier. Showed up when he said he would, charge what he quoted, was professional the whole time, and is a pretty fucking cool guy to boot. CONTRACTOR WIN!